Pro-choice v. pro-life map (SUSA poll)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 09:02:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pro-choice v. pro-life map (SUSA poll)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pro-choice v. pro-life map (SUSA poll)  (Read 6617 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2006, 12:22:51 PM »

This has probably already been posted, because the poll is a few months old.  Sorry if it has.

http://www.surveyusa.com/50State2005/50StateAbortion0805SortedbyState.htm

Red = pro-choice
Blue = pro-life
Gray = tied
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:24:18 PM »

Looks about believable.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:35:09 PM »

Today is also the 33rd anniversary of the Roe v. Wade ruling.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 12:58:43 PM »

Do they ever have interesting polls? I'd like to see state-by-state results on Alito.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 01:50:49 PM »

Funny that 55% of Americans think that abortion should be at least banned except in cases of Rape, Incest, and Life of mother, and near 75-80% support PBA ban but about 2/3 support Roe v Wade and a majority say they're pro-life.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 01:53:07 PM »

Funny that 55% of Americans think that abortion should be at least banned except in cases of Rape, Incest, and Life of mother, and near 75-80% support PBA ban but about 2/3 support Roe v Wade and a majority say they're pro-life.

Where do you get these numbers? Here in California, 52.8% of voters voted against parental notification (not permission) when a minor has an abortion.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 01:53:27 PM »

Again, what a horrible question.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 01:58:50 PM »

Today is also the 33rd anniversary of the Roe v. Wade ruling.

Indeed a date which will live in infamy.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »

I can't believe that Arkansas (home state of Bill Clinton), Tennessee (home state of Al Gore), and West Virginia (strongly Democratic until the 2000 election) are the same color as Mississippi (home state of Trent Lott) and Alabama (home state of Roy Moore).

I can't believe that Virginia (which no Democratic nominee has carried since 1964) is MUCH more pro-choice than West Virginia and is the same color as Illinois.  I also can't believe that Georgia (home state of Zell "the Duel" Miller), Florida (home state of Jeb Bush), Texas (home state of W and Rick Perry), Kansas (the state with something the matter with it), Wyoming (only  Idaho and Utah are more heavily Republican) are also the same color as Illinois.  I also can't believe that Nevada and Colorado are the same color as Massachusetts, the state with abortion clinics at every street corner.  (Hey, the Republican Attack Machine says so, so it must be true!)

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 02:09:37 PM »

Interesting.  Which goes to support what I've been saying all along.  You needn't get bent out of shape over Roe being overturned.  The map we see here suggests at most 14 of the US states have legislatures which would likely criminalize termination of pregnancy under all circumstances.  So if you're in one of the other 36 states, and you're keen on keeping the procedure available, the prospect of an overturn shouldn't really matter.  Now, of course if you're in one of those 14, especially if you're smack-dab in the middle of that huge blue area centered on Starkville, then it might be disconcerting.  Don't knock anybody up, Harry, unless you're ready for a 300 mile drive in any direction in order to get it taken care of.  Of course, if you are hardcore pro-life, you clearly have your campaign work cut out for you.  Start working on South Dakota.  They seem rather ambivalent about it all.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 02:14:16 PM »

They don't want ALL abortions banned is probably why.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »

Don't knock anybody up, Harry, unless you're ready for a 300 mile drive in any direction in order to get it taken care of.
I'm more liberal than Harry on social issues, but I don't believe in premarital sex.  I've actually had people mistake me for a conservative.  (Hmmm, I'd be a great ideological secret agent.  My vice is gluttony.  If you count up the number of times I drank eggnog, ate pie, ate hash browns, ate ice cream, or ate anything else containing lots of fat or sugar, the total dwarfs the number of times James Bond has had wild, orgasmic sex with a beautiful woman.)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 02:19:04 PM »

CBS News Poll. Jan. 5-8, 2006. N=1,151 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"What is your personal feeling about abortion? (1) It should be permitted in all cases. (2) It should be permitted, but subject to greater restrictions than it is now. (3) It should be permitted only in cases such as rape, incest and to save the woman's life. OR, (4) It should only be permitted to save the woman's life."

Abortion should be permitted...
Never (Vol) 5
Woman's Life 17
Rape, incest, Woman's Life 33
Greater Restrictions than now 15
All cases 27

That's 55% for no abortion outside rape, incest, and womans life, and 70% wanting more restrictions on abortion.  This is why the Democrats are losing on this issue.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »

That's 55% for no abortion outside rape, incest, and womans life, and 70% wanting more restrictions on abortion.  This is why the Democrats are losing on this issue.

More to the point, this is why one should expect this sort of oppression if the Supreme Court takes away the constitutional right to abortion:
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 02:28:39 PM »

Interesting.  Which goes to support what I've been saying all along.  You needn't get bent out of shape over Roe being overturned.  The map we see here suggests at most 14 of the US states have legislatures which would likely criminalize termination of pregnancy under all circumstances.  So if you're in one of the other 36 states, and you're keen on keeping the procedure available, the prospect of an overturn shouldn't really matter.  Now, of course if you're in one of those 14, especially if you're smack-dab in the middle of that huge blue area centered on Starkville, then it might be disconcerting.  Don't knock anybody up, Harry, unless you're ready for a 300 mile drive in any direction in order to get it taken care of.  Of course, if you are hardcore pro-life, you clearly have your campaign work cut out for you.  Start working on South Dakota.  They seem rather ambivalent about it all.

It'd be illegal in a lot more than 14 states. Most of the single issue abortion voters are anti-abortion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 02:34:34 PM »

It'd be illegal in a lot more than 14 states. Most of the single issue abortion voters are anti-abortion.

Yes, it would actually only be legal in about 14 states, maybe 15 if we're lucky.

And can't states make it a crime to transport someone to another state for the purpose of abortion?  Couldn't the federal governement ban it as well?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 02:37:11 PM »

And can't states make it a crime to transport someone to another state for the purpose of abortion?
No. That would be unconstitutional. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.
No again.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 02:39:32 PM »

And can't states make it a crime to transport someone to another state for the purpose of abortion?
No. That would be unconstitutional. 
Like justices like Alito are going to find that unconstitutional.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 03:49:31 PM »

CBS News Poll. Jan. 5-8, 2006. N=1,151 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"What is your personal feeling about abortion? (1) It should be permitted in all cases. (2) It should be permitted, but subject to greater restrictions than it is now. (3) It should be permitted only in cases such as rape, incest and to save the woman's life. OR, (4) It should only be permitted to save the woman's life."

Abortion should be permitted...
Never (Vol) 5
Woman's Life 17
Rape, incest, Woman's Life 33
Greater Restrictions than now 15
All cases 27

Um ... read. Situations such as. I don't think that's that minor a quibble.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 04:58:33 PM »

I don't understand.  How does "such as" significantly change the nature of the question?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 04:59:13 PM »

I don't understand.  How does "such as" significantly change the nature of the question?

It doesn't. Lewis is playing games because he doesn't like the poll results.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 05:01:22 PM »

Because by giving that answer you do not claim that there should be no other exception, just that you'd like only a handful of well-delineated exceptions such as for example these.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 05:09:32 PM »

Getting back to this poll's map, I think the biggest surprises for me were not only that both Carolinas were narrowly pro-choice, but that Georgia has a majority of pro-choicers.  So much for the Bible Belt.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 05:17:08 PM »

The SUSA thingy (whatever you think of the figures) has data by race and party and such! Smiley

Alabama
younger people much more pro-life than olders (63% among those under 35, 49% among those over 55)
Whites 59% pro-life
Blacks 46% pro-choice
Republicans 68% pro-life
independents 48% pro-life
Democrats 45% pro-choice
regular church goers 69% pro-life
those that don't ever go to church 54% pro-choice

And so on for other states.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 05:17:53 PM »

I think I said this earlier, but calling this a "pro-life v. pro-choice" map is kinda simplistic.  For example, I am in favor of banning all abortions except risk of health and rape situations.  And I would call myself pro-life.  I think if the map showed that statistic, it would look very different.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies