Protests Against Modi's Citizenship Law Morphing into Opposition to Hindutva
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:04:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Protests Against Modi's Citizenship Law Morphing into Opposition to Hindutva
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Protests Against Modi's Citizenship Law Morphing into Opposition to Hindutva  (Read 5345 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »

Just to be clear.  What I really meant was that from the BJP's point of view this is a feature and not a bug.  It is assumed that actions like this will hurt BJP electorally so I am making a point that it is not necessary so.  As for my views, I am quite sympathetic to the BJP project of building an Hindu based ethno-state but for sure would not back an act of random violence to achieve it.

So you're in favor of ethnic cleansing so long as it minimizes random acts of violence , as ethnic cleansing always does. Bravo for you!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »

Just to be clear.  What I really meant was that from the BJP's point of view this is a feature and not a bug.  It is assumed that actions like this will hurt BJP electorally so I am making a point that it is not necessary so.  As for my views, I am quite sympathetic to the BJP project of building an Hindu based ethno-state but for sure would not back an act of random violence to achieve it.

Do you know what an ethno-state is?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2020, 12:59:06 AM »

Do you know what an ethno-state is?

Our resident unabashed Han Chinese supremacist absolutely knows what it is.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2020, 02:10:49 AM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2020, 02:22:44 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2020, 02:26:17 AM by Old School Republican »

The CAA is no where what most of you are making it out to be lol. The US has passed similar fast-track bills before(For Cubans) and so have so many other nations.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2020, 02:29:58 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2020, 02:34:23 AM by Sbane »

The CAA is no where what most of you are making it out to be lol. The US has passed similar fast-track bills before(For Cubans) and so have so many other nations.

What are your thoughts on the national registry of citizens? You do understand the poor in India don't have proper documentation? Most aren't born in hospitals and may not have permanent addresses. The CAA allows the BJP to turn poor Muslims into illegals and if they speak Bengali I guess they get deported to Bangladesh? Do you support this?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 02:37:09 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2020, 04:34:44 AM by Old School Republican »

What are your thoughts on the national registry of citizens? You do understand the poor in India don't have proper documentation? Most aren't born in hospitals and may not have permanent addresses. The CAB allows the BJP to make poor Muslims into illegals and allows them to do whatever they want with them.

The CAA is not much different from Cuban fast track laws here(you could claim that's being discriminatory to people in nations with worse dictatorships as well) . Also the fact is it is the duty of India to make sure Hindus in Pakistan and Bangladesh (remember this bill does not apply to Hindus in Syria for example) can escape persecution and get to India(The reason for this stems from Partition).

Also No it does not do that to Muslims unless they had illegally immigrated to India in which case they are already in India Illegally

On National Registry of Citizens, that was passed into law before Modi was PM.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2020, 09:23:13 AM by Sbane »

What are your thoughts on the national registry of citizens? You do understand the poor in India don't have proper documentation? Most aren't born in hospitals and may not have permanent addresses. The CAB allows the BJP to make poor Muslims into illegals and allows them to do whatever they want with them.

Also No it does not do that to Muslims unless they had illegally immigrated to India in which case they are already in India Illegally

The national registry of citizens would make illegal anyone who wasn't able to prove they were born in India. This is not uncommon among the poor in India. I don't know how well you know the circumstances of the poor in India. I actually lived there for a good part of my childhood.

Due to the CAA, everyone who isn't Muslim and adversely affected by this can just claim to be a "refugee" and stay in India. But if they are Muslim, I guess they don't belong? Do you think India is a Hindu country or a secular country where all religions are respected and accepted as a part of Indian society?

I was a BJP supporter due to their superior economic ideas but the Indian constitution is much more important than that. I grew up in Delhi. I would be one of those BJP-->AAP voters in the recent Delhi elections and I don't see any reason to go back.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 09:29:45 AM »

Seven killed, 150 injured in riots in New Delhi
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 09:55:44 AM »

Big mistake by the anti-CAA crowd.  I think the BJP will sweep back to power in the critical UP assembly elections in 2022 at this rate.   Adityanath has not played caste politics well, especially in Western UP but CAA issue will play right into his hands.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 11:48:35 AM »

The national registry of citizens would make illegal anyone who wasn't able to prove they were born in India. This is not uncommon among the poor in India. I don't know how well you know the circumstances of the poor in India. I actually lived there for a good part of my childhood.

Due to the CAA, everyone who isn't Muslim and adversely affected by this can just claim to be a "refugee" and stay in India. But if they are Muslim, I guess they don't belong? Do you think India is a Hindu country or a secular country where all religions are respected and accepted as a part of Indian society?

I was a BJP supporter due to their superior economic ideas but the Indian constitution is much more important than that. I grew up in Delhi. I would be one of those BJP-->AAP voters in the recent Delhi elections and I don't see any reason to go back.

- But it wasn’t passed under this government, the bill was passed a long time ago

- No all it does is fast tracks citizenship for a very narrow group of people. If you are a Hindu refugee from Syria you won’t get fast tracked like everyone else

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »

- But it wasn’t passed under this government, the bill was passed a long time ago

- No all it does is fast tracks citizenship for a very narrow group of people. If you are a Hindu refugee from Syria you won’t get fast tracked like everyone else

Genuine question - are there any?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 12:12:07 PM »

Genuine question - are there any?

Was just using an example of how this doesn’t affect Hindus outside the region .
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »

But now it has teeth. They were never going to enforce it if it meant poor Hindus getting caught up in it. Now all they have to do is not be a Muslim and they get their citizenship back. Muslims get theirs taken away. How is that fair?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 12:20:16 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2020, 12:33:42 PM by Old School Republican »

But now it has teeth. They were never going to enforce it if it meant poor Hindus getting caught up in it. Now all they have to do is not be a Muslim and they get their citizenship back. Muslims get theirs taken away. How is that fair?

How does a citizenships registry result in people losing their citizenship. If you have citizenship wouldn’t you be on the registry and if you don’t you wouldn’t be on it

My dad said this talking point is 100% a lie
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2020, 01:32:55 PM »

Was just using an example of how this doesn’t affect Hindus outside the region .
There really aren’t a whole bunch of Hindus outside the region, though, so that point is kind of moot.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2020, 09:32:02 PM »

How does a citizenships registry result in people losing their citizenship. If you have citizenship wouldn’t you be on the registry and if you don’t you wouldn’t be on it

Your dad must be intimately aware of the situation of the poor in India. They don’t have records such as birth certificates. How are those people going to prove their citizenship? It’s not as if only Muslims would be affected by this, Hindus and others would as well. But only Muslims can’t claim refugee status if they can’t prove their citizenship. This whole affair has the potential to be really bad for India if they try to round up Muslims and put them in camps and deport them to Bangladesh and Nepal.

The citizenship law by itself isn’t so bad, but the national register of citizens is a disaster waiting to happen. Remember, I am a BJP supporter and was the lone voice on this forum defending Modi back in 2014 when everyone here thought he was a genocidal maniac.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2020, 10:44:03 PM »

There really aren’t a whole bunch of Hindus outside the region, though, so that point is kind of moot.

For what it's worth, Indonesia has more Hindus than Pakistan these days.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2020, 09:59:39 PM »

Your dad must be intimately aware of the situation of the poor in India. They don’t have records such as birth certificates. How are those people going to prove their citizenship? It’s not as if only Muslims would be affected by this, Hindus and others would as well. But only Muslims can’t claim refugee status if they can’t prove their citizenship. This whole affair has the potential to be really bad for India if they try to round up Muslims and put them in camps and deport them to Bangladesh and Nepal.

The citizenship law by itself isn’t so bad, but the national register of citizens is a disaster waiting to happen. Remember, I am a BJP supporter and was the lone voice on this forum defending Modi back in 2014 when everyone here thought he was a genocidal maniac.

Old School Republican refuses to call this what it is, as usual.

Undocumented Hindus are being given the opportunity to have their citizenship fast tracked because of their religion while undocumented Muslims are not. The government is preparing to deport undocumented Muslims.

Modi's government is using this as a tool to remove Muslims from the country on the basis of their religion. Do you have a term for that other than ethnic cleansing?

Amnesty and Human Rights Watch have spoken very clearly on the discriminatory nature of the CAA and the human rights abuses that are being committed against protesters.

If you're on the opposite side of those organizations on an issue of human rights, you should re-evaluate your position.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2020, 01:32:25 PM »

You are a grown man. It is long past time to start doing your own research and forming your own independent conclusions.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2020, 01:39:33 PM »

Well, the RSS is terrorizing students and Muslims in Delhi. How many more shops have to burn, innocent people mauled, and people disenfranchised for being poor must continue on before it gets into privileged expatriates mind that Modi has been a horrible leader.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2020, 01:42:23 PM »

You are a grown man. It is long past time to start doing your own research and forming your own independent conclusions.

He has explained to me this subject in detail, including things like history and statisitcs. Also hes shown me example of the  CAA, and the Citizen Registry is used by almost every country around the world so literally I see no problem with it.

He, by the way, is no BJP Fan, he just hates congress more and calls many Modi Fans, Modi Cultists.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2020, 01:47:18 PM »

BTW the only way to stop these types of Riots in India, is to implement US-style Law and Order policies which the left in India calls far-right.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2020, 01:53:53 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2020, 02:12:00 PM by Old School Republican »

Old School Republican refuses to call this what it is, as usual.

Undocumented Hindus are being given the opportunity to have their citizenship fast tracked because of their religion while undocumented Muslims are not. The government is preparing to deport undocumented Muslims.

Modi's government is using this as a tool to remove Muslims from the country on the basis of their religion. Do you have a term for that other than ethnic cleansing?

Amnesty and Human Rights Watch have spoken very clearly on the discriminatory nature of the CAA and the human rights abuses that are being committed against protesters.

If you're on the opposite side of those organizations on an issue of human rights, you should re-evaluate your position.

First of all a nation has the right to do what ever they want with their illegal immigants and keep whomever they want. Illegal immigrants have no right to stay no matter which country they are in.  Of Course Minority Religious Refugees(which by the way it is for not just Hindus) from Pakistan should get preferential treatment because sending them back would be literally killing them.

Also by that same criteria , was fast-tracking Cuban process of citizenship(look how fast they go permanent residency) racist as no other group got that treatment. Of course not and many nations do similar things as the CAA. Is Israel's policy towards Jewish refugees bad by that same criteria. Many nations do similar things as the CAA and I support the US policy towards Cuban refugees and Israel's policies towards Jewish refugees

Lastly I dont care what Amnesty International thinks given they want to arrest so many US leaders.
They are an Anti-American group so for that reason I dont have at all a positive opinion of them. Amnesty International by the way also considers Israel terrible too which shows they like many international organizations have more interest in going after the US , Israel and India rather than actual human right violators 
pikachu
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2020, 01:57:46 PM »

BTW the only way to stop these types of Riots in India, is to implement US-style Law and Order policies which the left in India calls far-right.

Come on, everyone knows that communal riots in India are very often encouraged and made worse by the authorities.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies