Ohio redistricting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:20:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 89286 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: February 23, 2022, 06:33:18 PM »

Republican Paul Miller presented a Congressional map before the commission today, which focused on congressional lines. Others testified before the recess until tomorrow, but didn't have maps. An Akron Dem noted he didn't think Geauga belongs with Akron. If this is the future plan, then the court will probably just appoint a master, which they can without jumping through hoops like on the leg side.

IDK don't commission Dems have a strong incentive to make a deal and lock the map in for the decade?

Yeah, this is actually worth considering, since this map is a huge improvement over the initial one.

I'd still ask for a better district around Toledo, though. That one ought to be at least Biden+5 or so (basically giving it a neutral PVI). If the OHGOP can accept that, I say we have a deal.
I don't see how that's possible without a gerrymander itself taking it in to the Cleveland area.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 06:38:57 PM »

I thought the Congressional primaries we're delayed? Did they also happen yesterday?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 06:42:06 PM »

I thought the Congressional primaries we're delayed? Did they also happen yesterday?

Nope, the map is still legal as of today, and the trial is taking some time to finish it out because the court closed the initial case so they have to start all over.
So the court could theoretically invalidate it and order a new primary but we don't know if that'll happen?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 07:28:19 PM »

https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/news/2022/05/06/petitioners-seek-remedies-to-congressional-map-for-2024-election-cycle?cq_ck=1651882761587

Meanwhile, nonpartisan voting rights groups, the ACLU of Ohio and the League of Women Voters of Ohio, want the map tossed and tweaked, but only want the General Assembly or the Ohio Redistricting Commission to do the tweaking.

The advocates said, in their filing, if the districts around Hamilton and Franklin Counties are tweaked, then it would be ok with the rest of the map.

Honestly I still don't get it. These 2 groups are playing idiotic hardball on the legislative maps trying to force a Dem gerrymander despite the court having no authority to actually draw a map while they seem to be fairly generous to the Ohio GOP on the congressional maps. Like again as far as I understand it the court can clearly take over drawing the congressional maps, so I am not sure why they don't want the court to just take over and want to leave the Ohio GOP with a 3rd chance.

On top of that the legislative maps are functionally meaningless because I don't see a scenario in the near future where Ohio Democrats win them outright. Maybe they'd win enough to prevent a supermajority? But it's hard for me to believe that a D governor is in the cards.
The supermajority matters because DeWine has clashed with the Legislature a lot and they've actually overridden a bunch of his vetoes that Democrats supported him on. But it only takes 60%, not 2/3 to override a veto in Ohio.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 10:48:05 AM »

OH-01 voted for Biden by 8.5 points. Would be pretty hackish to think R would be favored in that seat, although I guess those that did were probably expecting a red wave.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies