Ohio redistricting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:40:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Ohio redistricting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 63
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 88298 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: August 05, 2022, 08:46:27 PM »

That map looks illegal cause Columbus appears to be split 3 ways and certain individual districts appear to have too many county splits, namely CD-05.
Nope Columbus is only split twice and there are only eleven counties that are split on the map. I followed all the splitting rules in the amendment. All the large cities are intact as well.

Ok mb. Then ye, something like that technically works if you push aside the partisan fairness requirements (which are vauge and a Conservative Court would likely be leniant on).

When Rs wrote the amendment, I think they did so knowing that it would still allow them to persue close to a maximal gerrymander, especially since the Amendment basically forces a Cleveland pack and doesn't regulate how much any individual County can be split.

Is the political willpower there to go full 13-2? I'm not sure, especially cause their intial maps weren't or at least kept a few districts sorta competative for incumbent wants such as OH-15 taking in banks in Columbus or letting Turner pretty much keep his same district. Part of it may depend upon who wins the House in 2022 and who wins several key Ohio House races. The best case scenario for Dems in a redrawn House map would be if Rs have a big congressional majority they feel comfortable with yet Dems still flip OH-01 and hold OH-09, meaning the GOP might not be as aggressive in ridding of them than if the House is close or if Dems outright win the House.
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #1301 on: October 14, 2022, 02:32:51 PM »

OH plans to appeal to SCOTUS on lower court decision marking the congressional map as unconstitutional. Using the Independent Legislature argument.

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1302 on: October 31, 2022, 09:09:12 PM »

If Ohio Rs were smart. This is truly the cleanest 13-2 gerrymander I could come up. Practically in a normal year it'd prolly be more like 12-3 but that's still a very good deal for Rs.

District 2 is Trump + 1 but is extremely stagnant and polarized.

13 is Trump + 3 and trending rigthwards. Honestly the current OH-13 is actually in a pretty favorable config for Dems given it takes in Canton so they should feel lucky.

15 is Trump + 7. I tried to take in more of the working-class suburbs of Columbus but overall, the district is still shifting left and could become a liability. To make a truly maximal gerrymander you have to crack Franklin County 3 ways.

7 is Trump + 9 and very simillar to the current iteration. Given Cleveland's population loss, it should be fine.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1303 on: November 01, 2022, 02:27:19 PM »

Your OH-2 is very narrow but all Republicans need to do is win the turnout game against low-propensity inner city voters. Democrats would need to count on population gains in downtown Cincinnati, and while Cincy is no Cleveland it's also no Columbus. Nice work, if I were a freedom-hating Republican I'd be very pleased with this map.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1304 on: November 06, 2022, 10:54:37 PM »

Your OH-2 is very narrow but all Republicans need to do is win the turnout game against low-propensity inner city voters. Democrats would need to count on population gains in downtown Cincinnati, and while Cincy is no Cleveland it's also no Columbus. Nice work, if I were a freedom-hating Republican I'd be very pleased with this map.

Thank you. Honestly the alternative for OH-02 is to make OH-01 more competitive which seems like a bad trade given it’s suburban nature or to do something horrendous to Hamilton and split it 3 ways. Downtown Cinci proper has had far less extreme leftwards shifts and population shifts when compared to the surrounding suburbs, so most of Dems gains this decade would be in the redder OH-01.

I’m praying for the day when Columbus grows too big it’ll need 2 sinks.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1305 on: November 06, 2022, 10:55:58 PM »

Well done.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1306 on: November 13, 2022, 11:14:51 PM »

In light of house results being a bright spot for Ohio dems this cycle, here's a total fantasy map. I call it "Ohio Republicans cut their losses, least change otherwise"

https://davesredistricting.org/join/f3b911b3-f034-4159-99d6-77bb29a7aeb8
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1307 on: November 17, 2022, 04:11:05 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2022, 05:08:30 PM by Torie »

Thank you. Honestly the alternative for OH-02 is to make OH-01 more competitive which seems like a bad trade given it’s suburban nature or to do something horrendous to Hamilton and split it 3 ways. Downtown Cinci proper has had far less extreme leftwards shifts and population shifts when compared to the surrounding suburbs, so most of Dems gains this decade would be in the redder OH-01.

I don't think the Pubs will draw that OH-02 or yours because it is demographically incoherent. The Pubs will nominate some toxic hinterlands type who will massively under perform in higher SES precincts and be a money drain and an embarrassment.

Did you check out the 2016-2020 trend for your OH-02? It looks brutal against the Pubs.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1308 on: November 17, 2022, 05:54:33 PM »

I don't think the Pubs will draw that OH-02 or yours because it is demographically incoherent. The Pubs will nominate some toxic hinterlands type who will massively under perform in higher SES precincts and be a money drain and an embarrassment.

Did you check out the 2016-2020 trend for your OH-02? It looks brutal against the Pubs.

2 is stagnant. It’s 1 that is zooming left but 1 also went to Trump by like 13.

Honestly there’s no silver bullet for how to deal with Cinci
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1309 on: November 17, 2022, 06:00:54 PM »

The silver bullet is drawing Cinci to the North
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1310 on: November 17, 2022, 06:17:44 PM »

You want to post a link to you map? I can make the case that that ridiculous CD is foolish, even if the Ohio supremes go hack city on steroids. The silver bullet is to give the Dems the Cinci cd. At this point they should just leave the current mess alone, and snatch back OH-09 and OH-13. Pity that both districts might then nominate bat sh**t crazies like OH-09 did this time.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1311 on: November 17, 2022, 06:31:23 PM »

You want to post a link to you map? I can make the case that that ridiculous CD is foolish, even if the Ohio supremes go hack city on steroids. The silver bullet is to give the Dems the Cinci cd. At this point they should just leave the current mess alone, and snatch back OH-09 and OH-13. Pity that both districts might then nominate bat sh**t crazies like OH-09 did this time.

But the fact Cinci is still crack-able but barely. I think it'd be worth it for the GOP to do a swing seat and a safe seat.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1312 on: November 17, 2022, 06:33:01 PM »

That is most quite right, assuming the court has zero interest in even having a fig leaf when it comes to applying the law.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1313 on: November 17, 2022, 06:53:35 PM »

That is most quite right, assuming the court has zero interest in even having a fig leaf when it comes to applying the law.

At the end of the day Cinci HAS to be kept whole so in order to drag it north, it has to take in some other swingy Hamilton Suburbs which would make it a left-shifting suburban Biden district sort of like the current config

To keep Cinci in a narrow stagnant Trump district you have to pair it with eastern rurals
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1314 on: November 17, 2022, 07:01:47 PM »

At the end of the day Cinci HAS to be kept whole so in order to drag it north, it has to take in some other swingy Hamilton Suburbs which would make it a left-shifting suburban Biden district sort of like the current config

To keep Cinci in a narrow stagnant Trump district you have to pair it with eastern rurals

Yeah, the go north plan is in fact a fail so praise the Lord on that. But the go east plan is also a fail, as the link to the depopulating rurals vis higher SES suburbs will also have a short half life, and all of this is a poster child as to just why it is all just so wrong, when the law says no.

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1315 on: November 17, 2022, 07:07:18 PM »

Yeah, the go north plan is in fact a fail so praise the Lord on that. But the go east plan is also a fail, as the link to the depopulating rurals vis higher SES suburbs will also have a short half life, and all of this is a poster child as to just why it is all just so wrong, when the law says no.

That district would be illegal because it either has to be nested entirely within a county or take in an entire county. No way to avoid Oxford, but it's pretty small at the end of the day
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1316 on: November 17, 2022, 07:07:54 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/edb0df17-1452-4672-bbc0-330f8a76d95b
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1317 on: November 17, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »

That district would be illegal because it either has to be nested entirely within a county or take in an entire county. No way to avoid Oxford, but it's pretty small at the end of the day

OK, so it becomes a bit more of a fail to fix that, from it's already fail status.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1318 on: November 17, 2022, 07:16:58 PM »

OK, so it becomes a bit more of a fail to fix that, from it's already fail status.

That's why Rs paired it with slightly less populated and slightly redder Warren County in both of their maps.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1319 on: November 17, 2022, 08:49:56 PM »

The maximum efficiency Southwest Ohio gerrymander.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1320 on: November 17, 2022, 09:14:04 PM »

Maybe something like this being drawn will get Democrats to put an actual redistricting commission on the ballot that isn’t dependent on the majority party in the legislature/statewide elected offices.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1321 on: November 17, 2022, 09:37:19 PM »

Does that actually balance population? Some how the 2 Hamilton County districts look overpopulated
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1322 on: November 17, 2022, 09:47:42 PM »

Does that actually balance population? Some how the 2 Hamilton County districts look overpopulated

Yeah
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1323 on: November 17, 2022, 09:52:31 PM »

Yeah

Damn, ig it's because it completely avoids Warren and Butler Counties. I think a lot of people (myself included) underestimate just how highly populated Warren, Butler, and to a lesser degree Clermont County is and how many votes they net for the GOP.

If Dems want to have any path back to being remotely competitive in OH, cutting into the GOP margins out of these 3 counties would be key, combined with continued population loss of rural areas and growth of Columbus. By then party coalitions may look completely different though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1324 on: November 18, 2022, 09:25:45 AM »

Any whole county will do, not one that is next to Cincy I guess as long as it does not increase county chops in total for the state due to the "traveling" chop, in this case through Butler. They call that in the legal trade a circumvention of the law. I assume that there is a requirement to minimize the total county splits in the state right?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies