Ohio redistricting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:11:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Ohio redistricting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 63
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 88293 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: May 05, 2022, 04:33:58 PM »

Democrats were in no mood for a compromise and have accordingly decided to decimate their caucus for 2022( a lot of lean D seats but many could fall)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1276 on: May 06, 2022, 01:24:17 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2022, 07:24:32 PM by CentristRepublican »

Blue gerrymander - https://districtr.org/plan/128422

EDIT: SAME STORY: Had another map I wanted to save/share on here, but I didn't want to bump up the whole thread just for that, so I'll just post it here. https://districtr.org/plan/145597. Initially my only real goal was to create a few Clinton/Trump districts (to be precise - two Clinton-Trump districts and a Trump-Biden district), but what I ended up was a bunch of very competitive districts that flipped between blue and red. Also mentioning % margins here since Districtr might remove them (all figures are from two-way vote share between Clinton/Biden and Trump). Skipped the totally and entirely irrelevant/uncompetitive districts.

OH01: Cincinatti - went from giving Trump 50.08% of vote in 2016 to giving Biden 51.76% in 2020.
OH02: Cincinatti western suburbs - gave Trump 59.2% in 2016; 55.8% in 2020.
OH03: Dayton area - gave Trump 56.59% in 2016; and 54.75% in 2020.
OH04: Parts of Columbus area, but also rural swaths of territory in western OH north of Dayton - 54.4% for Trump in 2016; 53.94% for him in 2020
OH05: Columbus and northern suburbs - 55.66% for Clinton; 58.71% for Biden
OH06: Safe R; rural OH
OH07: Columbus and southern suburbs and exurbs - very narrowly for Trump twice - 50.65% in 2016; 50.25% in 2020
OH08: Toledo and other areas in NW OH - Clinton/Trump district - 50.65% for her in 2016; 50.25% for him in 2020
OH09: Safe R; awkwardly-shaped seat in northern OH
OH10: Safe R; along the Ohio River and similar to Bill Johnson's very R-trending 6th district (which IRL had the hardest swing to the right from 2012 to 2016, swinging 30 points right)
OH11: Youngstown+Akron+Canton - initially meant to be a Clinton/Trump seat - 50.93% for Clinton; 50.44% for Biden
OH12: Eastern Cuyahoga plus Northeast OH - 53.84% for Clinton; 52.13% for Biden
OH13: Cleveland area - 69.09% for Clinton; 67.05% for Biden
OH14: Western Cuyahoga and areas to the south of that - 50.91% for Trump in 2016; razor-thin 50.01% for Trump in 2020
OH15: Safe R

EDIT: 9-6 Democratic 'mander: https://districtr.org/plan/149483. Same 9 seats for Clinton and Biden - but all 15 districts for Portman in the 2016 senate election.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1277 on: May 06, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »

https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/news/2022/05/06/petitioners-seek-remedies-to-congressional-map-for-2024-election-cycle?cq_ck=1651882761587

Meanwhile, nonpartisan voting rights groups, the ACLU of Ohio and the League of Women Voters of Ohio, want the map tossed and tweaked, but only want the General Assembly or the Ohio Redistricting Commission to do the tweaking.

The advocates said, in their filing, if the districts around Hamilton and Franklin Counties are tweaked, then it would be ok with the rest of the map.

Honestly I still don't get it. These 2 groups are playing idiotic hardball on the legislative maps trying to force a Dem gerrymander despite the court having no authority to actually draw a map while they seem to be fairly generous to the Ohio GOP on the congressional maps. Like again as far as I understand it the court can clearly take over drawing the congressional maps, so I am not sure why they don't want the court to just take over and want to leave the Ohio GOP with a 3rd chance.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1278 on: May 07, 2022, 10:20:11 AM »

https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/news/2022/05/06/petitioners-seek-remedies-to-congressional-map-for-2024-election-cycle?cq_ck=1651882761587

Meanwhile, nonpartisan voting rights groups, the ACLU of Ohio and the League of Women Voters of Ohio, want the map tossed and tweaked, but only want the General Assembly or the Ohio Redistricting Commission to do the tweaking.

The advocates said, in their filing, if the districts around Hamilton and Franklin Counties are tweaked, then it would be ok with the rest of the map.

Honestly I still don't get it. These 2 groups are playing idiotic hardball on the legislative maps trying to force a Dem gerrymander despite the court having no authority to actually draw a map while they seem to be fairly generous to the Ohio GOP on the congressional maps. Like again as far as I understand it the court can clearly take over drawing the congressional maps, so I am not sure why they don't want the court to just take over and want to leave the Ohio GOP with a 3rd chance.

On top of that the legislative maps are functionally meaningless because I don't see a scenario in the near future where Ohio Democrats win them outright. Maybe they'd win enough to prevent a supermajority? But it's hard for me to believe that a D governor is in the cards.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1279 on: May 07, 2022, 10:21:57 AM »

On top of that the legislative maps are functionally meaningless because I don't see a scenario in the near future where Ohio Democrats win them outright. Maybe they'd win enough to prevent a supermajority? But it's hard for me to believe that a D governor is in the cards.

Infacr the maps the GOP pass help prevent gop supermajorities if somehow Democrats win the gubernatorial race . This is really stupid. Now democrats get all the downside of this map in 2022 but it will only be a 4 year map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1280 on: May 07, 2022, 06:45:38 PM »

By the way although the LWV lawsuit was for 2024 I still don't know if the Democratic lawsuit has been updated to 2024. They didn't mention anything about the May 3rd primary in their lawsuit and seeking to cancel a primary should probably be mentioned atleast?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1281 on: May 07, 2022, 07:28:19 PM »

The supermajority matters because DeWine has clashed with the Legislature a lot and they've actually overridden a bunch of his vetoes that Democrats supported him on. But it only takes 60%, not 2/3 to override a veto in Ohio.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1282 on: May 27, 2022, 06:08:55 PM »

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1283 on: May 27, 2022, 06:37:30 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2022, 07:01:18 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

I really want an actual commission on the ballot ASAP. This has been a disaster.

Also proportionality should never be a criteria. As a state becomes more politically lopsided it can become harder and in some cases impossible to achieve.

Also the county splitting rule is absolute garbage especially on the state legislative level.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1284 on: May 27, 2022, 10:25:52 PM »

This whole process was f**king joke.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1285 on: May 28, 2022, 08:00:19 AM »

This whole process was f**king joke.

Yes, although tbh, there were more than a few folks (myself included) who were utterly baffled at the time this commission nonsense was proposed about why the Democrats opted for this rather than just putting a referendum for a truly independent redistricting commission on the ballot.  It was an idiotic decision and I would love to hear the story behind that b/c I am pretty sure the folks involved had to have known better.  I was surprised it wasn’t an even bigger train wreck with the OH SC just rubber-stamping the first Republican gerrymander put in front of them (not that it mattered).

If I had to guess what happened, it’d be that there was behind-the-scenes interference from powerful Cleveland Democrats who didn’t want a map that disregarded safe seat incumbent’s preferences any more than Republicans wanted anything resembling a fair map.  I doubt these folks cared too much what the congressional map looked like when push truly came to shove.  This is all pure speculation, but that’s the only explanation I’ve been able to come up with.  Maybe BuckeyeNut can shed some light on this.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1286 on: May 28, 2022, 08:28:12 AM »

Wow, I'm absolutely stunned that two Trump-appointed judges voted to accept a Republican map in defiance of the Ohio Constitution. Amul Thapar is practically an Alito clone in his decisions.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1287 on: May 28, 2022, 09:57:39 AM »

The main issue for Democrats for this map is the incumbent protection the GOP will be effectively forced to do in 2023.
ibagli
United States

« Reply #1288 on: July 19, 2022, 09:17:26 AM »

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/elections/2022/07/19/ohio-supreme-court-strikes-down-congressional-map-used-may-primary/9359835002/

The Ohio Supreme Court struck down the state's Republican-drawn congressional map Tuesday, ruling that districts used in the May primary violate anti-gerrymandering rules in the state Constitution.

In a 4-3 decision, the Supreme Court rejected Ohio's 15-district congressional map and ordered Ohio lawmakers to redraw a new one within 30 days. If they can't the Ohio Redistricting Commission will have 30 days to adopt a congressional map.

A single person blows halfheartedly into a party horn. Four dead balloons and a cigarette butt fall from the ceiling. We won. Hooray.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #1289 on: July 19, 2022, 10:44:29 AM »

Round and around and around she goes. Where she stops, nobody knows.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1290 on: July 19, 2022, 11:15:37 AM »

If this goes through, hope that the Dems don’t make the same mistake they did last time and actually vote for it if it’s not as bad of a map as it could be, not because it’s completely fair or gives them everything they want. My guess is republicans just slightly reconfigure the current map as they did last time and hope the court flips soon. It’s hard to see them completely giving up on any of their incumbents so I suspect they’ll try for a map that has a good chance of being 13-2

Anyways, something needs to get on the ballot in 2024; either a less arbitrary set of rules or a full commission.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1291 on: July 19, 2022, 12:16:53 PM »

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/elections/2022/07/19/ohio-supreme-court-strikes-down-congressional-map-used-may-primary/9359835002/

The Ohio Supreme Court struck down the state's Republican-drawn congressional map Tuesday, ruling that districts used in the May primary violate anti-gerrymandering rules in the state Constitution.

In a 4-3 decision, the Supreme Court rejected Ohio's 15-district congressional map and ordered Ohio lawmakers to redraw a new one within 30 days. If they can't the Ohio Redistricting Commission will have 30 days to adopt a congressional map.

A single person blows halfheartedly into a party horn. Four dead balloons and a cigarette butt fall from the ceiling. We won. Hooray.

...how exactly do they expect a map to be in place in time for new primaries and all the corresponding deadlines to be met in time for November while giving a full 60 days of leeway??
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1292 on: July 19, 2022, 12:38:16 PM »

...how exactly do they expect a map to be in place in time for new primaries and all the corresponding deadlines to be met in time for November while giving a full 60 days of leeway??

Simple answer. It isn't. Its for next cycle. My guess on why the court still lwts the GOP have power is to force a 10 year locked map.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1293 on: July 19, 2022, 12:38:21 PM »

Decision does not take effect until the following cycle.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1294 on: July 19, 2022, 02:07:20 PM »

Oh well, wonderful. Justice delayed and justice denied once again. Good job guys, you really held the GOP to account there. Roll Eyes
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1295 on: July 19, 2022, 04:31:35 PM »

I kinda want to see the court try and draw a least change map that follows the rules for the lols
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1296 on: July 20, 2022, 12:19:59 PM »

I hope they just sink Cincinnati already. It's on borrowed time as it is.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #1297 on: August 05, 2022, 11:08:34 AM »

Nah they don't have to sink Cincinnati. You can actually put it in a right trending district.

In this map every district but #2 swung to the right for Republicans based on PVI.
OH-1: R+2 to R+4
OH-2: R+13 to R+11
OH-3: R+8 to R+10
OH-4: R+15 to R+16
OH-5: R+14 to R+14
OH-7: R+7 to R+15
OH-8: R+9 to R+16
OH-9: R+8 to R+10
OH-10: R+3 to R+8
OH-11: R+3 to R+8
OH-12: R+1 to R+3
OH-13: R+7 to R+10
OH-14: R+3 to R+8
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1298 on: August 05, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »

That map looks illegal cause Columbus appears to be split 3 ways and certain individual districts appear to have too many county splits, namely CD-05.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #1299 on: August 05, 2022, 07:06:23 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2022, 07:13:32 PM by Coastal Elitist »

That map looks illegal cause Columbus appears to be split 3 ways and certain individual districts appear to have too many county splits, namely CD-05.
Nope Columbus is only split twice and there are only eleven counties that are split on the map. I followed all the splitting rules in the amendment. All the large cities are intact as well.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies