Ohio redistricting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:43:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 63
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 89182 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: March 29, 2022, 09:13:16 AM »

Yep.

What's the schedule? The links aren't working for me (might be some legal issues with EU regulations).
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1201 on: March 29, 2022, 09:16:56 AM »

Yep.

What's the schedule? The links aren't working for me (might be some legal issues with EU regulations).

Evidence within 25 days, petitioners' brief within 10 days of that, respondents' brief within 20 days of that, petitioners' reply within 7 days of that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1202 on: March 29, 2022, 09:27:34 AM »

Yep.

Evidence within 25 days, petitioners' brief within 10 days of that, respondents' brief within 20 days of that, petitioners' reply within 7 days of that.

2+ months?? That's insane. Either they're gonna end up leaving it on hold and letting the GOPmander go through for this cycle or they'll have to intervene to postpone filings and primaries.

F**king hell.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1203 on: March 29, 2022, 09:40:09 AM »

According to this, the statewide primary is a go for May 3rd except that they're going to remove state House and state Senate races from the ballot. I imagine the US House primaries are going to be removed as well unless there's federal invention. I'm surprised they've waited this long considering military and overseas ballots need even more time. Early and absentee voting in Ohio literally beings on April 5th, which is a week from today. It seems like they're going to do what they can do for now and do the rest later. Ultimately, they can just not count any invalid races on the ballot if they can't be removed in time.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1204 on: March 29, 2022, 10:06:48 AM »

According to this, the statewide primary is a go for May 3rd except that they're going to remove state House and state Senate races from the ballot. I imagine the US House primaries are going to be removed as well unless there's federal invention. I'm surprised they've waited this long considering military and overseas ballots need even more time. Early and absentee voting in Ohio literally beings on April 5th, which is a week from today. It seems like they're going to do what they can do for now and do the rest later. Ultimately, they can just not count any invalid races on the ballot if they can't be removed in time.

The Schedule doesn't take place until after the primary election. So the Ohio Supreme court would have to invalidate a primary election or issue a preliminary injunction.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1205 on: March 29, 2022, 11:08:57 AM »

The Schedule doesn't take place until after the primary election. So the Ohio Supreme court would have to invalidate a primary election or issue a preliminary injunction.

I was referring to what the OH Secretary of State has already ordered. He ordered the state House and state Senate races off the May 3rd primary election. The state will have some form of staggered primary when maps eventually get resolved. There's still theoretically time to remove the Congressional races from the ballot as well.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1206 on: March 29, 2022, 11:45:36 AM »

TBH, it's fine if this map is used for 2022. The House is probably gone anyway. As long as they get a fair map in place for 2024 before O'Connor is replaced by a fascist I'll be happy
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1207 on: March 29, 2022, 02:32:17 PM »

So apparently the redistrict and commission has cried Uncle and accepted accepted the last rejected Republican map with apparently nominal window dressing changes.

Between this, Governor ever's map being thrown out in the middle of the night by the US Supreme Court, and now the Santos V towing a new congressional map, republicans are working overtime all too successfully at cutting off democracy at the knees. Well done chaps.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1208 on: March 29, 2022, 02:52:25 PM »

TBH, it's fine if this map is used for 2022. The House is probably gone anyway. As long as they get a fair map in place for 2024 before O'Connor is replaced by a fascist I'll be happy

A court drawn map has no half life at all. If a map is enacted into law later that is upheld, it replaces what the court did. So O'Connor causes a map to be drawn sometime in 2022 that would be used in 2024 elections. She retires at the end of 2022, and a more partisan Pub Justice replaces her. The legislature passes a new map for the 2024 elections in 2023. In such event, the O'Connor map is never used at all.

The above is what I think is right. But maybe I am missing something.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1209 on: March 29, 2022, 03:03:08 PM »

Next state leg developments.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1210 on: March 29, 2022, 05:29:34 PM »

So you'd rather just give up seats that are rightfully ours and let the GOP get away with blatantly ignoring a court order just on the faint hope that we might get a fair map in 2024? That's ridiculous.

I have absolutely no idea what the OHSC is thinking here. This case should be open-and-shut. This whole process has been a joke.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1211 on: March 29, 2022, 07:56:36 PM »

TBF, they did consistently violate court orders and were acting in bad faith. It would be hilarious if the GOP got it's gerrymander at the cost of the Governor spending time in prison (Though the map can still be overturned and I rlly doubt they'd go to prison)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1212 on: March 29, 2022, 10:00:39 PM »

TBF, they did consistently violate court orders and were acting in bad faith. It would be hilarious if the GOP got it's gerrymander at the cost of the Governor spending time in prison (Though the map can still be overturned and I rlly doubt they'd go to prison)
I think the Republican base would be very happy with DeWine going to prison. It's a win-win situation.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1213 on: March 29, 2022, 10:04:12 PM »

Arrest every republican on the commission
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1214 on: March 29, 2022, 10:08:33 PM »

Why is the court dragging this out? Isn't it 4-3 because of Oconnor
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1215 on: March 29, 2022, 10:21:02 PM »

Why is the court dragging this out? Isn't it 4-3 because of Oconnor

Cause they want due process; since the previous case the court said they had final say or whatever they have to start over from scratch in many ways.

This is another example of Republicans watering down the ballot initiative cause they knew something like this would happen reguardless of whether we get an actual fair map or not in the end. An actual commission needs to get on the ballot so this mess doesn't happen again.

Dems would be smart to go MI style and make proportionality a criteria at least in congressional maps. An AZ style commission where the GOP can moderately hack it could lead to basically the current map except a safe D Hamilton seat and a 2nd Columbus seat.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1216 on: March 30, 2022, 09:35:27 AM »

Timeline on contempt.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #1217 on: March 30, 2022, 03:09:54 PM »

Uhhhh, doesn't this have the rather obvious problem that Ohio is only entitled to 15 representatives now but the old maps have 16 seats? Can hardly see how it would be legal to elect 16 reps.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1218 on: March 30, 2022, 03:10:38 PM »

Uhhhh, doesn't this have the rather obvious problem that Ohio is only entitled to 15 representatives now but the old maps have 16 seats? Can hardly see how it would be legal to elect 16 reps.
Maybe he means a least-change map?
I dunno what a least-change map even would look like, though. Which seat gets chopped? 7?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1219 on: March 30, 2022, 03:11:02 PM »

It wouldn't work for the Congressional map, a federal court would strike that down.   It can only possibly be for the state legislature.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #1220 on: March 30, 2022, 03:37:26 PM »

I dunno what a least-change map even would look like, though. Which seat gets chopped? 7?
This is what I was able to do for a least change.

Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #1221 on: March 30, 2022, 03:42:56 PM »

Your black district is illegal, splits multiple counties without having a whole one.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1222 on: March 30, 2022, 04:05:30 PM »

Your black district is illegal, splits multiple counties without having a whole one.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/b454c021-d754-4970-97eb-96e2da9d8f58
This may not be pure least-change, but it does try to err on side of it. Thoughts?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #1223 on: March 30, 2022, 06:14:37 PM »

Hence the problem with doing a least change map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1224 on: April 08, 2022, 11:26:22 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies