Ohio redistricting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:49:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 63
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 89276 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: November 21, 2021, 06:42:04 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/a1814ade-915a-4a5c-bdff-e5ffa75e81aa
OH fair map I made.
I sought to draw what I thought were good CoI in NE OH. The funky lines in the Columbus were driven by the desire to have just three districts containing parts of the "doughnut" around Franklin County. Compactness was broadly favored.
The 8th is only -2 in deviation from quota, which I feel proud about.
DRA marks disproportionality as 5.95% in favor of the GOP.

A map that respects CoI probably keeps Butler and Warren together.
The way you worded it shows you agree it's not an absolute rule, no?
There are things that matter besides "Butler and Warren are together".
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #776 on: November 21, 2021, 06:45:04 PM »

OH fair map I made.
I sought to draw what I thought were good CoI in NE OH. The funky lines in the Columbus were driven by the desire to have just three districts containing parts of the "doughnut" around Franklin County. Compactness was broadly favored.

It’s not a rule. Just a suggestion.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #777 on: November 21, 2021, 06:49:40 PM »

OH fair map I made.

I see.
What I'm concerned about is what putting Butler and Warren together might do to metro Columbus, and if I force the 8th out far enough, it might force weird lines and meandering around Metro Dayton+the 3rd and 12th.
Apologies if I sounded overly gruff.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #778 on: November 21, 2021, 06:52:00 PM »

OH fair map I made.

I see.
What I'm concerned about is what putting Butler and Warren together might do to metro Columbus, and if I force the 8th out far enough, it might force weird lines and meandering around Metro Dayton+the 3rd and 12th.
Apologies if I sound overly gruff.

Just redraw the maps.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #779 on: November 21, 2021, 06:53:27 PM »

Here’s a fair map I made. If there are any issues, let me know.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/398616e9-19f6-40a2-84ff-0f692af8aa7e
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #780 on: November 21, 2021, 08:01:25 PM »

I've done some further edits. These changes impacted 8 of 15 seats, though in the case of one district, it was merely to put in one precinct split for reasons of compliance with Ohio law.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #781 on: November 21, 2021, 08:57:01 PM »

Those 6th and 4th districts are one-of-a-kind. Never seen such a district before.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #782 on: November 21, 2021, 09:18:00 PM »

Those 6th and 4th districts are one-of-a-kind. Never seen such a district before.

The 4th district is quite ugly given you’re trying to keep Jim Jordan and Warren Davidson in separate seats. They live in counties that are adjacent to each other. It’d be a lot cleaner if putting them together was not an issue.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #783 on: November 21, 2021, 09:19:59 PM »

I've done some further edits. These changes impacted 8 of 15 seats, though in the case of one district, it was merely to put in one precinct split for reasons of compliance with Ohio law.

The 12th can be made more competitive if it scoops into South Franklin and drops some deep blue parts to the 3rd.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #784 on: November 21, 2021, 09:43:05 PM »

The 12th can be made more competitive if it scoops into South Franklin and drops some deep blue parts to the 3rd.
That would make both the 12th and 3rd less compact. I'm stressing compactness, less county and township splits, and other types of CoI anyway, though I have expended some effort in making the map D-friendly on the margins due to Rs having significantly more solid seats, when it does not majorly disfavor any of those three goals. My Toledo CD is an example of such a move.

this is the latest iteration.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #785 on: November 22, 2021, 01:15:58 AM »

That would make both the 12th and 3rd less compact. I'm stressing compactness, less county and township splits, and other types of CoI anyway, though I have expended some effort in making the map D-friendly on the margins due to Rs having significantly more solid seats, when it does not majorly disfavor any of those three goals. My Toledo CD is an example of such a move.

Your OH-9 breaks the Ohio constitution because it neither contains a whole county nor is entirely contained within a single county. A compliant map that only has 2 districts in Cuyahoga and attaches Lorain cannot be drawn.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #786 on: November 22, 2021, 01:20:04 AM »

Your OH-9 breaks the Ohio constitution because it neither contains a whole county nor is entirely contained within a single county. A compliant map that only has 2 districts in Cuyahoga and attaches Lorain cannot be drawn.
That used to be my understanding of it, but I've since heard conflicting information.
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=351688.msg8332637#msg8332637
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #787 on: November 22, 2021, 02:35:14 AM »

That used to be my understanding of it, but I've since heard conflicting information.
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=351688.msg8332637#msg8332637
lfromnj is wrong about there being "no such rule", but it is phrased weakly ("shall attempt to" rather than just "shall").

(B)( 8 ) The authority drawing the districts shall attempt to include at least one whole county in each congressional district. This division does not apply to a congressional district that is contained entirely within one county or that cannot be drawn in that manner while complying with federal law.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #788 on: November 26, 2021, 09:55:52 PM »

I tried my hand at a fair congressional map of Ohio using the 2020 census results.

Image Link

The Population Deviation is less than 0.01%.

66/100 on Dave's Proportionality Index
78/100 on the Compactness Index
61/100 on County Splitting
50/100 on the Minority Representation index
40/100 on Dave's competitiveness index

The map above shows results from the 2020 U.S. Presidential election in Ohio.

Check it out here and see county and municipality boundaries.

Partisan Breakdown by Election

2016 U.S. Senate Election in Ohio: 13R to 2D

2016 U.S. Presidential Election in Ohio: 10R to 5D

2018 Ohio Attorney General Election: 9R to 6D

2018 U.S. Senate Election in Ohio: 9D to 6R

2018 Ohio Gubernatorial Election: 8R to 7D

2020 U.S. Presidential Election in Ohio: 9R to 6D

One plurality-Black district in Cleveland (by both VAP and population) and another in Columbus with a significant Black minority (31.5% VAP, 35.2% Population)

Opinions?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #789 on: November 27, 2021, 05:34:03 PM »

Assuming the OSC rules that the map needs to be rebalanced to have fewer safe/lean GOP districts, here is my first attempt at a "least change" proposal.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #790 on: November 28, 2021, 01:42:15 AM »

Assuming the OSC rules that the map needs to be rebalanced to have fewer safe/lean GOP districts, here is my first attempt at a "least change" proposal.

Can I see it on DRA?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #791 on: November 29, 2021, 11:14:58 PM »

Can I see it on DRA?

https://davesredistricting.org/join/0140104e-005f-4834-bed1-65b1da6b4226
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #792 on: November 30, 2021, 08:43:56 AM »
« Edited: November 30, 2021, 09:56:37 AM by Torie »

One does not know if "unduly" means  merely not to gerrymander to favor one party, or it means one, within reason, must gerrymander against a party to make the party split on the CD's in the map more reflective of the party split in the state as a whole, to wit more proportional. I believe it will more likely be the former, but in any event the Pubs need good talking points for each choice that they make that does not make the map more proportional.

The language attempt to have one whole county in a district I interpret to mean where there isn't a whole county in a CD, that there were no reasonable map alternatives available to effect it.

And of course, as to Tim's map, there are it seems reasonable alternatives, which lose the Lorrain County chop, and switch it out for OH-13 chopping into Cuyahoga taking Chagrin Falls, and OH-15 taking a nip of Carroll County. So I suspect Tim’s map in this respect is most probably illegal.*

* Tim appears to have a  metric that ignores population deviations of less than 1,000 to lose chops, but that does not comport with the law either.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/0b5ee87b-55a0-446e-b4bf-e97cc3acf349
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #793 on: November 30, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »

One does not know if "unduly" means  merely not to gerrymander to favor one party, or it means one, within reason, must gerrymander against a party to make the party split on the CD's in the map more reflective of the party split in the state as a whole, to wit more proportional. I believe it will more likely be the former, but in any event the Pubs need good talking points for each choice that they make that does not make the map more proportional.

The language attempt to have one whole county in a district I interpret to mean where there isn't a whole county in a CD, that there were no reasonable map alternatives available to effect it.

And of course, as to Tim's map, there are it seems reasonable alternatives, which lose the Lorrain County chop, and switch it out for OH-13 chopping into Cuyahoga taking Chagrin Falls, and OH-15 taking a nip of Carroll County. So I suspect Tim’s map in this respect is most probably illegal.*

* Tim appears to have a  metric that ignores population deviations of less than 1,000 to lose chops, but that does not comport with the law either.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/0b5ee87b-55a0-446e-b4bf-e97cc3acf349

My views in this stem from a relatively strict reading of provisions designed to keep municipal government units together, a reading of that I put into effect even at the expense of minute deviations.
That being said your reading of the county splitting law sounds reasonable and I have restored all of Lorain being in the 9th.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #794 on: December 01, 2021, 11:25:55 AM »

The inevitable lawsuit has arrived.

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #795 on: December 01, 2021, 01:48:00 PM »

Dems are going to regret this in 2026 when the court is more republican and the rs draw a more aggressive gerrymander
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #796 on: December 01, 2021, 01:50:58 PM »

Dems are going to regret this in 2026 when the court is more republican and the rs draw a more aggressive gerrymander

No, they won’t; this could be our last shot at even remotely fair maps here for a generation.  There’s absolutely nothing to lose. 
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #797 on: December 03, 2021, 06:33:07 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States