World Cultural Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:14:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  World Cultural Map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: World Cultural Map  (Read 796 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2023, 11:10:14 PM »

I posted this in a thread in Religion & Philosophy, but I thought this board would enjoy this map. Not sure if it belonged more in here or in International General Discussion, so please let me know if it should go there instead. There is a map called the Inglehart-Welzel World Cultural Map, which plots a large number of countries on a 2D plane:

This has been done for a number of years, and it is probably also informative to compare to an older version. Here is the 2004 map that I found on the Wikipedia article:

I am interested to see what insights the users of this board notice. I have a few that jumped out at me, but I'd like to let other people take a shot at it first. Smiley
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 11:23:24 PM »

Egypt's placement in 2023 vs 2004 catches my eye.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 11:45:42 PM »

This map is utter claptrap and seems to be dividing Europe based on religion and everywhere else based on geography. Why on Earth are Singapore and South Africa in the same category? Zimbabwe and Egypt? Just because two places are both highly religious doesn’t mean they’re culturally similar. The way the categories snake all over is a big hint that the whole system is nonsense. Japan is closer on the map to Czechia than to Mongolia but it’s with Mongolia because they’re both Asian. Stupid.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 11:46:47 PM »

Chile is my favourite South Asian country
Make Canada Boring Again
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 12:30:02 AM »

My favourite South Asian country is South Africa, personally.
RilakkuMAGA
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.26, S: -2.43

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 12:34:08 AM »

I'm not sure India and China can be meaningfully put on that map as singular dots. Too internally diverse and large.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 12:44:40 AM »

This map is utter claptrap and seems to be dividing Europe based on religion and everywhere else based on geography. Why on Earth are Singapore and South Africa in the same category? Zimbabwe and Egypt? Just because two places are both highly religious doesn’t mean they’re culturally similar. The way the categories snake all over is a big hint that the whole system is nonsense. Japan is closer on the map to Czechia than to Mongolia but it’s with Mongolia because they’re both Asian. Stupid.

The categories are largely a post hoc invention, which is why they snake around like a gerrymandered Congressional District. I find it much more useful to try and track individual countries for the most part.

Chile has a colored dot because it is in the "wrong" cluster. As I mentioned above, the clusters are overall pretty arbitrary and not super-useful.

I'm not sure India and China can be meaningfully put on that map as singular dots. Too internally diverse and large.

This is a good point. It's also why I think secular vs. traditional values can say a lot about a country's relationship to religion, but only in the context of a religious monoculture. A country that is more diverse has too many confounding factors to really talk about it in that sense.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 12:45:39 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2023, 01:48:38 AM by Kamala's side hoe »

I made a thread on the most recent version 2 years ago

Idk how many of you have heard of the World Values Survey or the World Cultural Map, but I thought I'd make a thread on this. It explains a lot of how divergent cultural values among societies affect their politics.

IMO it does a surprisingly good job explaining different cultural groups' affinities to certain politicians, political parties, policies, and perspectives on civic engagement.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

https://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/WVSContents.jsp?CMSID=Findings

According to the authors: "These two dimensions explain more than 70 percent of the cross-national variance in a factor analysis of ten indicators—and each of these dimensions is strongly correlated with scores of other important orientations."[3]

The authors stress that socio-economic status is not the sole factor determining a country's location, as their religious and cultural historical heritage is also an important factor.[4]

Wave 7 (2017-2021)

I was surprised to see how much further down on the y-axis Mainland China is here, compared to previous versions. It seems pulled towards Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam relative to Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, and Japan.

I also noticed that the US is much further left on the x-axis than in previous versions. Historically the US was further down on the y-axis than the rest of the Anglosphere (which checks out with anecdotal observations that the US is relatively religious and socially conservative). I wonder how much of this is due to rising income inequality, declining social mobility and trust, and secularization- all of which are correlated with the rise of Don Giovanni and his tenure in the White House.

India has also shifted considerably down and left- not sure how correlated this is with the rise of Modi's BJP if at all. It was solidly within the "Other Asia" cluster in the last version.

The cultural regions that are being suggested do actually exist IMO, they just heavily overlap with each other. If you were to draw blobs connecting all of the Confucian Asian societies, all of the Indianized Asian societies, and the combined blob of Sub-Saharan African + Muslim-majority societies, the intersection of those three blobs would contain Malaysia and Singapore. That isn't too far off from what you'd expect for former British colonies in Muslim-majority Island Southeast Asia that have experienced heavy Chinese immigration in the last 200-300 years.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 02:19:46 PM »

I am almost sure Ghana is majority Christian.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 02:24:29 PM »

I always dislike trying to quantify something so broad, vague, and changing as culture. Doubly so since it’s being done by nation.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 05:51:07 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2023, 05:56:22 PM by Associate Justice PiT »

I made a thread on the most recent version 2 years ago

Idk how many of you have heard of the World Values Survey or the World Cultural Map, but I thought I'd make a thread on this. It explains a lot of how divergent cultural values among societies affect their politics.

IMO it does a surprisingly good job explaining different cultural groups' affinities to certain politicians, political parties, policies, and perspectives on civic engagement.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

https://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/WVSContents.jsp?CMSID=Findings

According to the authors: "These two dimensions explain more than 70 percent of the cross-national variance in a factor analysis of ten indicators—and each of these dimensions is strongly correlated with scores of other important orientations."[3]

The authors stress that socio-economic status is not the sole factor determining a country's location, as their religious and cultural historical heritage is also an important factor.[4]

Wave 7 (2017-2021)

I was surprised to see how much further down on the y-axis Mainland China is here, compared to previous versions. It seems pulled towards Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam relative to Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, and Japan.

I also noticed that the US is much further left on the x-axis than in previous versions. Historically the US was further down on the y-axis than the rest of the Anglosphere (which checks out with anecdotal observations that the US is relatively religious and socially conservative). I wonder how much of this is due to rising income inequality, declining social mobility and trust, and secularization- all of which are correlated with the rise of Don Giovanni and his tenure in the White House.

India has also shifted considerably down and left- not sure how correlated this is with the rise of Modi's BJP if at all. It was solidly within the "Other Asia" cluster in the last version.

The cultural regions that are being suggested do actually exist IMO, they just heavily overlap with each other. If you were to draw blobs connecting all of the Confucian Asian societies, all of the Indianized Asian societies, and the combined blob of Sub-Saharan African + Muslim-majority societies, the intersection of those three blobs would contain Malaysia and Singapore. That isn't too far off from what you'd expect for former British colonies in Muslim-majority Island Southeast Asia that have experienced heavy Chinese immigration in the last 200-300 years.

Interesting point about cultural regions. Some of the countries in the "wrong" area do have a certain logic, like India being grouped with Muslim countries and Kazakhstan with Orthodox ones. I guess Chile is where it is because it is being drawn towards Western Europe, along with Argentina and Uruguay being closer to those nations than most others in Latin America are. It seems like the real shortcoming of the map is presenting them as mutually exclusive spheres, which is not the case here, or at least cannot adequately be represented as such by the data that is being tracked here.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 07:35:26 PM »

It is extremely appropriate that you posted this on the same board where users post their most insane gerrymanders Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 08:17:57 PM »

Been familiar with the broad strokes of this research since undergrad (Inglehart in particular is a big name in the field). It's definitely interesting stuff and the people making jabs at it don't seem to understand what it's actually doing. Of course, it's certainly true that you can't reduce a country's entire value system as coordinatzs in a two dimensional space. Still, some of the patterns we see here show us interesting patterns.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 12:48:09 PM »

Thank you everyone, I will share some of my observations now. They tend to pertain mostly to cultures that I am more familiar with, but I try to cover a broad swathe. Tongue

• The anglosphere has secularized heavily in the past 20 years. The most traditional anglosphere country today is about equivalent to the most secular such country in 2004. Unfortunately Ireland seems to have dropped off the map, so it cannot be compared accurately.
  • Some Orthodox countries have become much more traditional. Some have remained the same (e.g. Moldova, Greece, Romania). I don't notice any that have become markedly more secular.
  • Poland was the most traditional ex-communist country in 2004, but now there are several more traditional.
  • Greece has swung hard against self-expression. I am guessing that is related to the struggles of the Greek economy; probably shouldn't be a surprise that economic hardship induces a refocusing on survival.
  • Likewise as Tim pointed out, Egypt is very curious. Like Greece it has moved hard towards survival, but it has also secularized appreciably at the same time. The combination strikes me as surprising, but I don't know enough about Egypt to comment further.
  • A lot of African countries have swung hard towards survival. Obviously survival matters there due to the poverty of the region, but I wouldn't expect it to have worsened appreciably since 2004.
  • Zimbabwe has secularized considerably, moving over a full point towards secularism and outstripping even the United States in this regard. South Africa too. I am guessing this is tied to anti-colonialism since Christianity was introduced there by European colonial powers, but I am not too knowledgeable about this topic.
  • China has swung hard towards tradition, which is probably related to CCP propaganda promoting traditional Chinese culture as an ideal.
  • Western/Northern Europe is sprinting towards the self-expression end of the spectrum. 2004 Sweden, which was the most pro-self-expression country then, would be 10th or so on the 2023 map.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 02:09:00 PM »

Thank you everyone, I will share some of my observations now. They tend to pertain mostly to cultures that I am more familiar with, but I try to cover a broad swathe. Tongue

• The anglosphere has secularized heavily in the past 20 years. The most traditional anglosphere country today is about equivalent to the most secular such country in 2004. Unfortunately Ireland seems to have dropped off the map, so it cannot be compared accurately.
  • Some Orthodox countries have become much more traditional. Some have remained the same (e.g. Moldova, Greece, Romania). I don't notice any that have become markedly more secular.
  • Poland was the most traditional ex-communist country in 2004, but now there are several more traditional.
  • Greece has swung hard against self-expression. I am guessing that is related to the struggles of the Greek economy; probably shouldn't be a surprise that economic hardship induces a refocusing on survival.
  • Likewise as Tim pointed out, Egypt is very curious. Like Greece it has moved hard towards survival, but it has also secularized appreciably at the same time. The combination strikes me as surprising, but I don't know enough about Egypt to comment further.
  • A lot of African countries have swung hard towards survival. Obviously survival matters there due to the poverty of the region, but I wouldn't expect it to have worsened appreciably since 2004.
  • Zimbabwe has secularized considerably, moving over a full point towards secularism and outstripping even the United States in this regard. South Africa too. I am guessing this is tied to anti-colonialism since Christianity was introduced there by European colonial powers, but I am not too knowledgeable about this topic.
  • China has swung hard towards tradition, which is probably related to CCP propaganda promoting traditional Chinese culture as an ideal.
  • Western/Northern Europe is sprinting towards the self-expression end of the spectrum. 2004 Sweden, which was the most pro-self-expression country then, would be 10th or so on the 2023 map.

I strongly suspect the x and y axes are normalized to whatever the average of all the data points is, so each country's/jurisdiction's position on the chart is relative to the average. Movement on the chart over time is likely relative to the average of all the countries, which means the addition of more countries in later versions of the survey makes objective comparisons per country across time difficult. I don't think NW Europe has shifted that hard towards self-expression so much as the average has shifted towards survival values as more countries from the Global South have been added to the survey.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2023, 04:07:01 PM »

I posted this in a thread in Religion & Philosophy, but I thought this board would enjoy this map. Not sure if it belonged more in here or in International General Discussion, so please let me know if it should go there instead. There is a map called the Inglehart-Welzel World Cultural Map, which plots a large number of countries on a 2D plane:

This has been done for a number of years, and it is probably also informative to compare to an older version. Here is the 2004 map that I found on the Wikipedia article:

I am interested to see what insights the users of this board notice. I have a few that jumped out at me, but I'd like to let other people take a shot at it first. Smiley
Singapore and Vietnam are much more Confucian than Japan.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2023, 12:52:18 PM »

I strongly suspect the x and y axes are normalized to whatever the average of all the data points is, so each country's/jurisdiction's position on the chart is relative to the average. Movement on the chart over time is likely relative to the average of all the countries, which means the addition of more countries in later versions of the survey makes objective comparisons per country across time difficult. I don't think NW Europe has shifted that hard towards self-expression so much as the average has shifted towards survival values as more countries from the Global South have been added to the survey.

Supposing the data is normalized does make it tough to compare, but glancing at the two maps it seems like the biggest add in new countries was in Africa and the Middle East, which are very traditional-minded. With that in mind I would think a country that is unchanged in secular vs. traditional values should probably move upwards, which makes it all the more notable that a number of countries who were in both versions of the survey have moved towards traditionalism on the map. I think your statement in re NW Europe and self-expression is accurate for the same reason.
OuterCoat100
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2023, 09:13:11 PM »

Sorry, I'm having issues with seeing the map. I tried refreshing the page but it doesn't seem to work. Do you have a link to the map?
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2023, 09:28:57 PM »

Sorry, I'm having issues with seeing the map. I tried refreshing the page but it doesn't seem to work. Do you have a link to the map?

I believe you need more posts before you can see images
OuterCoat100
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2023, 09:30:05 PM »

Oh ok, thanks.
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2023, 08:02:38 PM »

The 2023 map: https://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/images/Map2023NEW.png

The older one: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Inglehart_Values_Map.svg/1024px-Inglehart_Values_Map.svg.png

For whatever reason, the site won't show you images until you've made a certain number of posts.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies