Trump mocks John and Debbie Dingell at Michigan rally
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 09:19:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump mocks John and Debbie Dingell at Michigan rally
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Trump mocks John and Debbie Dingell at Michigan rally  (Read 5970 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2019, 12:27:42 AM »

It should be such a simple thing to condemn Jesse Jackson's 1984 remarks as bigoted.  It should also be a simple thing to condemn Presidential candidates to curry favor with Jackson in 2020.

It was a crappy thing for Trump to say.  It's being condemned here for a number of people who are fine with the past statements of Sharpton, Tlaib, Jackson, and Omar.  

People here aren't really upset, and people here don't really have empathy for Debbie Dingell (who deserves some here).  They are only interested in narrative driving points.  I have watched a number of Presidential candidates gather at the behest of Sharpton and Jackson (on separate occasion) seeking to curry favor and support from these men.  Why should it be OK for Democratic Presidential candidates to openly curry favor with a many who referred to NYC as "H----town" and another who staged a phony rape allegation against two (2) police officers and has never taken responsibility for it?

This is pearl clutching at its utmost.
First off you dodge the fact that Jesse actually apologized for the comments so a big point to your original argument has been undercut. Second the problem with your whole premise much like the infamous Grand Mufti argument you made is you keep hosting these obscure figures to use as a whataboutism for Trump. Granted Jesse and Al aren’t “obscure” per say but they sure as shoot aren’t as important, influencal, or powerful as the president and you constant referral to them shows how little self awareness you have on this issue.
Wow.

1. I have a lot of respect for both the late John Dingell and Debbie Dingell. My dad, a union member, has the life he does in large part due to the efforts of John Dingell.

2. How many times must it be said? Voting for a candidate (such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, or Donald Trump) does not commit one to agree with or support everything they say or do-- and it certainly does not commit them to agree with everyone who supports the same candidate! I think Fuzzy Bear would agree 100% with me that lots of Jesse Jackson's 1984 voters did not agree with the spirit of his comment.

3. The Rev. Al Sharpton has some influence: In addition to now being a commentator for the third-most-watched news network in the nation (unless that changed recently), he said in 2004 that the Democrats need to pursue an urban agenda, essentially downplaying the importance of rural issues, and criticizing the other Dem candidates for paying too much attention to them. Apparently, Democrats listened to Sharpton. (It backfired on them: to the extent that the rural vote for Democrats changed from competitive in 2004 to a washout in 2016, I believe Sharpton shares some of the blame).

4. It was a crappy thing for Trump to say, but it did little or no harm. I think everyone knew he was kidding (not that that justifies it). We as usual are making too big a deal of it.

5. Fuzzy Bear is right when he says many are motivated not by empathy toward Debbie Dingell, but by the desire to push a narrative. Is the good of the Party really that important? I can't believe I'm even asking that in the US, 30 years after the Cold War ended.

6. I don't think Fuzzy Bear is engaged in "whataboutism" at all. He admitted that what Trump said was wrong. I think he is correctly calling out a double standard.
1. That’s a transparently lazy setup to give yourself cover to defend Trump
2. Ok then why doesn’t Fuzzy just say what Trump did was wrong and leave it at instead of derailing this thread with a stupid Jesse Jackson argument
3. He’s on at 3 pm in the afternoon yeah real poweplayer. Also the assertion he’s a powerful firgure because of the DNC speech is ridiculous seeing as he was saying was a logical conclusion of the state of the party
4. And you proved point 1
5. You have no idea what goes on in our heads. It might come as a surprise to you Trumper hacks but those of us who don’t have a partisan/ideology reason to downplay or ignore Trump’s repulsive behavior aren’t going to do it. I mean the president of the United States got up on a stage to say a respected statesman who recently passed is in hell just to be a jerk to his widow. The fact you think people have to have some sinister alternative motive to find that offensive says a lot about you and none of it is good.
6. Yes it is whataboutism. To argue a double standard you have to have someone or something equal or near Trump in terms of importance and Al and Jesse aren’t in any way or shape
I'll try to keep this quick. I'll even let you have the last word, if you'd like. (Promise).

You called me a Trumper hack. I'm just going to leave that here. I have stated elsewhere in this Forum how I voted in 2016, and it wasn't Trump.

Nevertheless, I don't dislike you or think less of you. I believe you to be a passionate and intelligent human being. I think we could both learn from each other if we were to sit down over coffee. And I did not mean to come across as antagonistic; I apologize if that's how I came across. I am pretty liberal as far as my faith is concerned: my Christianity moves me to do two things: (1) forgive others and (2) defend those who are being unfairly attacked. I sensed that Fuzzy Bear was being attacked on this forum, and I rushed to his defense.

Anyway, thank you for listening. Have a good night.
How is asking Fuzzy to engage with our actual arguments attacking him?
It isn't. However, IMHO, saying "I’d rather not because all it will do is feed his massive victimization complex" is. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but that's what I think.

If you have other questions for me, I'll try to answer them.
First off he’s had plenty posts complaining about being unfairly treated to say he has a victimization complex. Second, if you’re problem is with that comment they why did you respond to a unrelated post I made? Third, why choose to play the “I’m just trying to be a good Christian” argument while downplaying Trump being a mean spirited dick to a widow? Kinda an odd topic to play Good Samaritan in
No particular reason for either. Perhaps I should have focused my remarks more appropriately. I will try to do better next time.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2019, 01:32:25 AM »

From now on I will report as trolling every Fuzzy post that mentions the Grand Mufti or Jesse Jackson.
Maybe you should do the same.
I’d rather not because all it will do is feed his massive victimization complex

Guys, guys, guys! I'm only 2 days into having that buffoon on ignore, and I can't tell you how sweet it is. Join the party. Having a fuzzy free experience and not having to listen to him Yammer on about the same nonsensical b******* talking points every time is such a delight.

TL;DR version, don't feed the troll.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2019, 02:16:41 AM »

From now on I will report as trolling every Fuzzy post that mentions the Grand Mufti or Jesse Jackson.
Maybe you should do the same.
I’d rather not because all it will do is feed his massive victimization complex

He already plays the victim every chance he gets. Unless we start reporting him every time he tries to derail a thread instead of indulging him, he'll continue doing what he currently does.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2019, 08:51:44 AM »

People here aren't really upset, and people here don't really have empathy for Debbie Dingell (who deserves some here). 

Oh I can assure you I am upset. I was seething when I heard this. My reaction to it is captured here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=340622.msg7096658#msg7096658
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »

I do wonder why Trump can't avoid this sort of thing.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #130 on: December 24, 2019, 11:56:02 PM »

He probably thinks that it's weak to hold his tongue and alpha to say whatever he feels like saying. Not sure that I would agree with that, but I think he believes that.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2019, 12:01:11 AM »

He probably thinks that it's weak to hold his tongue and alpha to say whatever he feels like saying. Not sure that I would agree with that, but I think he believes that.

That's as good an explanation as I can think of.

I don't think Trump intends to be as mean as people think he is, but I certainly agree that he doesn't have much of a filter.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »

Because by nature he is vindictive, malicious and cruel?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies