Nixon selects Sen. Edward Brooke (R-MA) to succeed Spiro T. Agnew as VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:49:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Nixon selects Sen. Edward Brooke (R-MA) to succeed Spiro T. Agnew as VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nixon selects Sen. Edward Brooke (R-MA) to succeed Spiro T. Agnew as VP  (Read 540 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2019, 08:45:16 AM »

Rather than resurrect a thread that has lain dormant for 14 years, I am starting a new one.

Rather than Gerald Ford, Nixon selects Sen. Edward Brooke (R-MA) to replace the beleaguered Spiro Agnew, who resigns Oct. 10, 1973 and is succeeded by Brooke.

Suddenly, the nation in which Henry "Hank" Aaron is receiving death threats for daring to challenge Babe Ruth's home run record, finds itself a heartbeat away from having a Black President.

Does Nixon still resign Friday, August 9, 1974? Sooner? Does Brooke win the GOP nomination for President in 1976? If so, who is his running-mate? Does he win?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »

Brooke wasn't really considered as a legitimate replacement for Agnew, so while indeed possible, this scenario would've been highly unlikely to have occurred.

Nevertheless, with Watergate looming, I could definitely see Nixon try & use this as a threat to prevent himself from getting impeached. It'd be like saying "Remove me from office & you'll have a black President," & that would probably keep a lot of Senators, especially in the South, from wanting Nixon out.

Honestly, Nixon would've been a political genius to have done that. But many Democrats (some of whom were obviously from the South) would've probably voted against Brooke because he was black. Not to mention, it would've also put the moderate & liberal Democrats in a huge dilemma: vote against Brooke & possibly upset black voters who'd supported them in the past & whose votes they'd still need in the future, or go along with the Republicans in making Brooke VP while knowing full well that the southern segregationist Democrats would likely vote against Nixon's impeachment down the road. And then you'd also have somebody like Jesse Helms or Strom Thurmond try to filibuster Brooke. Perhaps the Democrats would try to sabotage Brooke in such a manner that (likely) wouldn't alienate black voters: by secretly revealing his adultery to the press.

Disregarding all of that, though, let's say that he's confirmed as VP & eventually has to assume the Presidency: he still would've easily lost the nomination to Reagan come 1976.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2019, 04:07:33 PM by mathstatman »

Thank you @brucejoel99 for the insight. I have heard it said that Nixon was an astute politician (which he was); I wonder why he didn't do something like this. I believe it would have significantly affected every subsequent election.

So, for 2 years, 5 months, 11 days, the nation would have had a Black (or, to some, "Negro") President, a Republican no less.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 05:02:53 PM »

<bump> I sure would like to hear your thoughts. Nixon would be remembered differently (almost certainly more favorably) had he done this. Why didn't he? Did he simply not think of it? Did he think of it, and did someone talk him out of it?

I can't help but to think that some of the racial toxicity of the last 46 years, in its many manifestations (one being that Blacks may feel the Democratic party takes their votes for granted) could have been avoided.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies