August 2020 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:27:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  August 2020 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: August 2020 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election  (Read 37015 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« on: August 24, 2020, 03:22:25 AM »

1.Erin O'Toole is clearly more intelligent than Andrew Scheer.  He is definitely a step up, and I don't think the Liberals can expect the same gaffes from O'Toole that came from Scheer that undermined the first half of the election campaign and allowed the Liberals to claim Scheer had a secret agenda.  

2.Erin O'Toole won by not criticizing Leslyn Lewis and Derrick Sloan and by seeking them out as allies.  In his speech he criticized both Jagmeet Singh and the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois (I'm not sure if he mentioned Yves Francois Blanchette.)  I could be reading too much into this, and he could change his mind, but in so far as he needs both the Bloc and the NDP to bring down the Liberals, I think this is an early indication he doesn't want an election right now.

3.In not criticizing Lewis and Sloan and in seeking them out as allies, the social conservatives will have expectations from him and he didn't even mention social conservative issues in his victory speech other than a mild boiler plate about wanting a Canada for everybody (including non-believers.)  I don't think it will be long before some social conservatives become disgruntled with him.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 10:14:50 AM »

Erin O'Toole strikes me as being on the surface bland, but with a certain disarming charm.  Beyond that, he seems to be highly intelligent, and comfortable with himself, unlike the bizarre and obnoxious Justin Trudeau.

Erin O'Toole seems to be by a fair bit the Conservative Party's best asset, but his very weak bench is a big problem for me.  Pierre Polievre as Finance Minister?  Michelle Rempel Garner as Health Minister? I'd still take Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over that.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 11:01:02 AM »

Well, no one will be able to accuse him of not going after the NDP's working class demographic.

The National Post published an article on Labour Day quoting a number of conservative thinkers on how the Conservative Party should go after union members and even seek the endorsement of unions.

These thinkers pointed out that unions play an essential role in providing a counterbalance to wealthy interests and that unions can provide social stability by achieving higher pay for workers.  They also point out that unions play a major role in social society by assisting charities and other non-profits.

To the degree that modern conservatives genuinely embrace stability, I think they make some important points why Conservative Party should seek the support of unions.

In the Canadian context, the ban on corporate and union donations has reduced, though far from eliminated, the influence of corporations in Canada.  Corporate executives may be very wealthy, but they don't combine for a lot of votes.

The problem I see for the Conservatives is that the small business owners collectively seem to be more anti union than large corporate executives in Canada and there are a lot of small business owners.  The Canadian Federation of Independent Business seems to be a very powerful player in the Canadian Conservative Party.

Interestingly, in New Brunswick, one of the star Progressive Conservative candidates is one of the top trade unionists in Canada.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies