August 2020 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:59:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  August 2020 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: August 2020 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election  (Read 36982 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« on: December 18, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »

Since the contest has already begun. Sources are Globe, La Presse, Le Devoir, CP, Star for those wondering.

Out: Bernard Lord, Brad Wall, Doug Ford, Brian Pallister, Caroline Mulroney, Max Bernier

In: Erin O'Toole

Maybe: Rona Ambrose, Peter MacKay, Michelle Rempel, Pierre Poilievre, Candice Bergen, Gerard Deltell, Marilyn Gladu, Mike Chong, Lisa Raitt.

Just noticed his name. Geez, what is it with the media and  speculating about old retired pols running? I'm half expecting to see Mike Harris or Jean Charest's names come up in 'who's running' articles.

Screw it, I don't care of he's pushing 90, I'm backing John Crosbie for leader!
Why not have Joe Clark, he's a former Prime Minister and he is a TRUE RED TORY, he would totally wipe the liberals to PC 1993 levels. /s
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 08:55:27 AM »

Huh. I didn’t realize that Charest is only 61.
At this point, why not have Stockwell Day or Kim Campbell running?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 07:21:55 AM »

This is actually an interesting discussion Smiley

I'm not mad keen on the recent trend for party leaders in the UK quitting almost instantly after a bad result (though occasionally, as with Jo Swinson, there may be little practical alternative) but it may be possible to overdo the "debate and discussion" thing too. On this at least, Corbyn maybe has it about right?

The UK Liberal Democrats constitution requires the national party leader to be an MP, so Jo Swinson ceased to be leader when she failed to be re-elected. This is quite different from the Canadian practice, where it is quite common to select a new federal leader from outside the existing parliamentary caucus.
John Turner was PM while not having a seat.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 05:45:10 PM »

Mainstreet poll of 6624 party members.

Peter MacKay 40%
Erin O'Toole 34%
Leslyn Lewis 9%
Derek Sloan 5%

https://ipolitics.ca/2020/05/12/mackay-leads-cpc-leadership-race-but-otoole-popular-as-second-choice-of-lewis-sloan-backers-mainstreet-poll/

O'Toole has more second choice support. MacKay has a big lead in Atlantic provinces, other regions are close.
Why is Derek Sloan even running in the first place? I get that Lewis is a social conservative but why is Sloan even running?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 07:51:50 AM »

Mario Dumont had an interview with O'Toole on his tv show. Mackay was also invited but he declined. Turning down a rare opportunity to be seen by the public could be playing it safe because not being confident enough in his French. It could hurt him if there is a looking bad moment.

Mackay has the support of 5 Quebec MPs, O'Toole has 1.

I've not seem much media coverage of the race. One time four women Mackay supporters accused O'Toole of not having a clear position on abortion. I read a news story on the policies for Quebec in the O'Toole platform.
He still exists!
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 06:09:14 PM »

A sixth Quebec MP for Mackay and 38 defeated candidates in the province also support him.

The MP criticised O'Toole's strategy of courting social conservatives in making his decision public and he's been a progressive conservative so Mackay.

Quebec Conservatives mostly seem scared of seeing social issues come up in the next election and be on the defensive.

By attacking O'Toole with wooing social conservative, it pushes him to have to explain he is not very social conservatives and disappoints those conservative voters and cuts part of the transfer of votes O'Toole would need to win.

A linguist rated the candidate's French language out of 10. Lewis 1/10, Sloan 2/10, Mackay 5/10, O'Toole 6/10.
I thought McKay couldn't speak French?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »

I wonder after Lewis's loss in the leadership race, I wonder if the Conservatives are going to get her to run somewhere?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 11:25:39 AM »

The Wexit or the People's Party could attack McKay and the "elites" for rigging the leadership elections if that happens.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 04:54:16 PM »

Why did Sloan overperform?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 05:45:30 PM »

And I can't really see Jagmeet pulling off the ca. 2014 "screw those latte-sipping elites I'm focusing on the working class of SW Ontario" type campaign.  
He would have to be white and not have a "hipster" persona.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies