August 2020 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:15:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  August 2020 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17
Author Topic: August 2020 Conservative Party of Canada leadership election  (Read 36929 times)
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2020, 02:11:16 AM »

It wasn't that long ago people were writing the Liberal Party's obituary. Especially in a country like Canada, which is so prone to wild swings, I would advise against making long term predictions like that.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #376 on: August 31, 2020, 09:17:25 AM »

It wasn't that long ago people were writing the Liberal Party's obituary.

Less than a decade ago, in fact.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #377 on: August 31, 2020, 04:34:33 PM »

If Calgary and Edmonton start voting more like "normal" big cities and less for the "party of Alberta" that would be devastating for the Tories.  But I'll believe it when I see it.  That will probably happen only if  the full  "Americanization" of Canadian politics (i.e. almost completely demographic-driven) takes place.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #378 on: August 31, 2020, 04:38:10 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2020, 04:41:51 PM by King of Kensington »

The Liberals also benefit from a fairly weakened NDP, and Trudeau campaigns and governs just progressively enough to bury the NDP vote. 
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #379 on: August 31, 2020, 08:33:11 PM »

If Calgary and Edmonton start voting more like "normal" big cities and less for the "party of Alberta" that would be devastating for the Tories.  But I'll believe it when I see it.  That will probably happen only if  the full  "Americanization" of Canadian politics (i.e. almost completely demographic-driven) takes place.

That would be devastating to Tories short term, but would probably force Tories back towards centre like old PCs long term.  Although with Kenney's low approval ratings, I actually think Kenney might have pushed conservatism a little too far and you may see Calgary and Edmonton start voting more like other cities.  That being said both cities extend out to countryside so it would more like Winnipeg than 416 or Vancouver proper.  Cities like GTA and GVRD, otherwise central parts would go NDP/Liberal all the time, while suburban parts along periphery would be bellwethers.
adma
« Reply #380 on: September 01, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »

The Liberals also benefit from a fairly weakened NDP, and Trudeau campaigns and governs just progressively enough to bury the NDP vote. 

It could well be the case by e-day, as it's so often been (and throw the Green vote into that, too).  But one can argue that except in 2011 (and in Western Canada in the 80s), the federal NDP has *always* been "fairly weakened"--in fact, with Leger currently showing them at 21%, the NDP's actually holding up quite well by traditional standards.  (But of course, come whatever moment that O'Toole shows signs of catching on, watch the Libs bid to cannibalize that support yet once again)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #381 on: September 02, 2020, 05:09:17 PM »

It has temporarily weakened a certain form of fiscal conservatism. Remember when the FLQ attacks, the 1980 referendum loss, the 1995 referendum loss, the 2007 provincial election and the 2011 federal election destroyed Quebec nationalism? Yeah, I do, and so do the 32 Bloc MPs in the House of Commons. All that happened was that it moderated and changed its messaging, but as long as there is a Quebec, there will be demand for some sort of nationalism. Just the same way that as long as a society exists, there will be demand for some sort of conservatism.
I should note that Canadian Conservatives are distinct, in the sense that a key thing uniting them is an agreement about the oil & gas industry. At some point, this will cause resentment among the Conservative base and could be the opening for an environmentalist Conservative faction at some point, more out of opposition to a platform focused on that one particular issue than on a real commitment thereof.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #382 on: September 03, 2020, 09:56:41 AM »

It could well be the case by e-day, as it's so often been (and throw the Green vote into that, too).  But one can argue that except in 2011 (and in Western Canada in the 80s), the federal NDP has *always* been "fairly weakened"--in fact, with Leger currently showing them at 21%, the NDP's actually holding up quite well by traditional standards.  (But of course, come whatever moment that O'Toole shows signs of catching on, watch the Libs bid to cannibalize that support yet once again)

But the "sorting" of the Conservative vote may be hurting the NDP's ability to win seats.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #383 on: September 03, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »

But the "sorting" of the Conservative vote may be hurting the NDP's ability to win seats.

Very true as a lot of traditional blue collar areas like Oshawa, Brantford, Essex, Saskatchewan, part of Interior like Cariboo, Kamloops and Kootenay-Columbia are shifting away although this is not unique to Canada, but happening globally.  Niagara Centre actually I think is a low hanging fruit for the Tories and would not be surprised if in near future both provincially and federally they flip this.  On other hand upper middle class areas like North Shore in Lower Mainland, Burlington, and Kanata-Carleton which were once safe Tory seats are now trending Liberal.  Similar to what you are seeing in traditional GOP areas in US like Collar Counties of Chicago and Orange County, California which once used to be solid GOP but now lean Democrat.  Also seeing this in UK, with well to do areas in London no longer Tory strongholds like they once were, but offset but gains in North and Midlands.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #384 on: September 03, 2020, 02:00:43 PM »

Not just the traditional blue collar vote, increasing Liberal support in the "urban progressive" constituency has hurt the NDP as well.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #385 on: September 03, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2020, 02:48:15 PM by DC Al Fine »

Not just the traditional blue collar vote, increasing Liberal support in the "urban progressive" constituency has hurt the NDP as well.

Yeah, it really threw me for a loop that the NDP lost 5-10% in ridings like University-Rosedale, Parkdale-High Park, and Ottawa Centre last year. It's not like voters there needed to vote Liberal to keep the Tories from winning those seats. Tongue
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #386 on: September 03, 2020, 02:56:49 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2020, 03:04:40 PM by King of Kensington »

Lack of incumbents may explain the dropoff but these are some of the most progressive electoral districts in the country.  Hard for the NDP to be viable when they're shut out of Canada's largest city.

And I can't really see Jagmeet pulling off the ca. 2014 "screw those latte-sipping elites I'm focusing on the working class of SW Ontario" type campaign.  
adma
« Reply #387 on: September 03, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »

Yeah, it really threw me for a loop that the NDP lost 5-10% in ridings like University-Rosedale, Parkdale-High Park, and Ottawa Centre last year. It's not like voters there needed to vote Liberal to keep the Tories from winning those seats. Tongue

I don't think it should be *that* surprising--remember that until Jagmeet proved to be not-half-bad on the stump, the party practically looked set to be Audreyed.  To the point where their Toronto strategy was basically reduced to a "Andrew Cash Davenport toehold" strategy. 

Thus, such underperformance was more a vestigial reflection of the NDP's depleted infrastructure going into the election.  Those ridings where they were a distant 2nd at 20%--they were poised to be an even more distant 2nd, or 3rd, or even 4th, at the moment the writ was dropped.  Essentially, they went from being Audreyed to being somewhere between Alexa'd and early-Jacked.
adma
« Reply #388 on: September 03, 2020, 04:46:49 PM »

And I can't really see Jagmeet pulling off the ca. 2014 "screw those latte-sipping elites I'm focusing on the working class of SW Ontario" type campaign.  

Maybe not, but don't entirely rule out some counterintuitive "good faith" support a la Jack Layton, even in an era when blue-collar right-populism seems more impermeable than ever.  But a big imponderable there (and plugging back into this thread's subject matter) would be the Jagmeet vs Erin question--especially presuming that O'Toole's less stigmatized (particularly for being Upper Canadian rather than Western) than Scheer.

Though following from that in the *other* direction (and echoing trends in the US, UK and elsewhere) would be the potential for Conservative inroads in Northern Ontario--and there were even some signals last year (aside from the Kenora takeback) that a future Bishop Aucklanding of the North shouldn't be ruled out (including unexpectedly pipping ahead of the Libs for 2nd in the two remaining NDP-held seats)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #389 on: September 03, 2020, 05:33:19 PM »

Singh is certainly trying to "outdo" Trudeau on both "culture war" and economic issues.  But I suspect voters see the difference between them as differences in degree, not in kind.   
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #390 on: September 03, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »

Trinity-Spadina '97 = Davenport '19
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #391 on: September 03, 2020, 05:45:30 PM »

He would have to be white and not have a "hipster" persona.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #392 on: September 07, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »

O'Toole makes a direct appeal to the working class vote:

https://twitter.com/ErinOTooleMP/status/1302991683072798721
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #393 on: September 08, 2020, 06:48:24 AM »

This is the route the Tories and most right wing parties in the Anglosphere ought to go. As the left moves upscale, the right will need to consolidate the upper working class/petit bourgeois vote.

Andrew Coyne has already slammed the video, so it's probably a good strategy. I enjoy Coyne's columns but a good judge of electoral winners, he is not Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #394 on: September 08, 2020, 11:49:20 AM »

O'Toole has released his shadow cabinet. Some notable posts include:

Defence: James Bezan
Finance: Pierre Poilievre
Foreign Affairs: Michael Chong
Health: Michelle Rempel
Industry: James Cumming
Infrastructure: Andrew Scheer
Intergovernmental Affairs: Chris d'Entremont
Justice: Rob Moore
Labour: Mark Strahl
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #395 on: September 08, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »

O'Toole seems to be the 2020 version of Diefenbaker Toryism.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #396 on: September 08, 2020, 01:00:30 PM »

O'Toole seems to be the 2020 version of Diefenbaker Toryism.

Yass Queen!
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #397 on: September 08, 2020, 02:39:24 PM »

Unlike the tone-deaf Scheer, O'Toole seems like an astute observer of politics.  This message should play well in places like Niagara, Sault Ste. Marie, Cape Breton. 

The problem is the anti-Conservative trend and the juggernauts of suburban GTA and Lower Mainland - a lot harder to win now than a decade ago.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #398 on: September 08, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »

Overall, pretty decent (if perhaps unsurprising) picks by O'Toole. Not a cabinet-in-waiting by any means, but a pretty decent Opposition line-up.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #399 on: September 13, 2020, 06:27:31 PM »

Steve Paikin interviews Erin O'Toole:

https://www.tvo.org/video/erin-otoole-canadas-new-conservative-party-leader
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies