UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:11:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 289646 times)
Angel of Death
« on: December 15, 2019, 12:22:52 PM »

How democracies die:
Angel of Death
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 02:17:50 PM »

The £100,000,000,000 (or so) question now of course is whether Corona will possibly "mask" any fallout from a lack of a deal between the UK and the EU in this transition period. As a first thought, one might think it would rather just compound the economic misery, but who can tell in these strange times?
Angel of Death
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 03:12:00 PM »

Conservatives have zero incentive to call for an early election, especially considering the healthy majority they're currently enjoying. That means they will fully own whatever fallout Brexit will bring after the end of the transition period.
Angel of Death
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »

The only thing that might save the Union.
However, if such a change ever were to be seriously considered (which I'd only expect from a minority Labour government), let alone be put to a referendum, I'd fully expect the Tories, the tabloids, Cambridge Analytica and what have you to go all World War 3 against proportional representation.
A bit like how Catherine the Great took the new liberal Polish-Lithuanian constitution as a threat.
Angel of Death
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 08:40:09 PM »

The general election polls are more stable than Donald Trump's approval rating.
Angel of Death
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »

Angel of Death
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »

I'm going to state the certainly not original thought, but which nevertheless bears repeating over and over again, that Boris is now a sponge for everything concerning Brexit, allowing the Conservatives, after they replace him with Sunak or whomever, to once again probably successfully gaslight the electorate into thinking they're not responsible for the previous government.

How will an almost openly hostile Britain (read: England) behave towards the European Union? I guess we're going to find out the coming years.
Angel of Death
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 06:29:11 PM »

I guess "Scottish Nationalist Party" is to Conservatives what "Democrat Party" is to Republicans.
Angel of Death
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 02:03:53 PM »

I expect the next few opinion polls to show more support for Scottish independence again.
Angel of Death
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 05:23:46 PM »

At the risk of regretting this question, what kind of people read the Daily Express?
Angel of Death
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 09:11:40 AM »

If the UK's vaccination program is supposedly "world beating", then why am I reading stuff about people not getting their second jab until deep into September?
Angel of Death
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 07:40:54 AM »

Genuine question, did Blair ever criticise POTUS Trump as vehemently as he has Biden here?

Blair [...] still punches hardest when he’s hitting to his left.
Angel of Death
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »

What is the British version of the Internal Revenue Service, the American taxman and is it reviled by the British commoners and taxpayers like how Americans hate paying taxes?

The U.S. Revolutionary War was created also because of King George's taxes.....

HM Revenue and Customs. Can't say it's reviled.

Not reviled… but not respected either.

If you want reviled, try the Department for Work and Pensions.
Angel of Death
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »

I don't know if I want him to go; I'm concerned aboutwhat ghoul will follow him.

And when he does go, the Tories will get to reset the clock once again with the English electorate.
Angel of Death
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 10:01:08 AM »

Angel of Death
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2022, 03:30:20 PM »

After all that has happened, does anyone seriously believe Boris Johnson will ever leave voluntarily?
Angel of Death
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 05:09:01 AM »

Have we all become so numb to the point that it isn't worthy of a mention how the sitting Prime Minister literally brought up the "deep state"?

https://www.irishtimes.com/video/world/uk/2022/07/18/boris-johnson-warns-of-the-threat-of-the-deep-state-to-brexit/
Angel of Death
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2022, 04:05:16 PM »

I'm sure there must be a significant number of non-Tories that don't want Labour to get back into power anytime soon, lest they be the ones left holding the bag that is the ongoing state of the country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies