UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:40:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287972 times)
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« on: April 03, 2020, 06:08:10 AM »

It's difficult to judge Boris too harshly when there's an example of a far worst response just across the sea in a country Britons are quite interested in, but I think over time the governments failings will cause his ratings to drop.

I mean I don't think anyone here expects this to end quickly right?
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:29:04 AM »

Starmer made the right decision on this one, after years of dealing with this people should know better
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 07:33:21 AM »

Starmer has plenty of time to change peoples perception of the party, it's not like there's going to be an election anytime soon. He's made good progress in three months and he's got another four years to finish the job.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 04:21:51 AM »

What happened yesterday is truly awful and the worst part is of course that this political violence seems to be becoming a trend in this country with the murder of Jo Cox five years ago.

R.I.P. and lets hope that this doesn't continue
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 09:17:46 AM »

Obviously hope the Queen stays in good health and is with us for many more years... but at the same time I'm fascinated to see what happens when Charles becomes king.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 01:57:12 PM »

I guess this is the kind of confidence you get from winning a landslide election victory after 9 years in power and then continuing to lead in the polls though a deadly pandemic and worker shortages
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 07:45:13 PM »

I'm quite surprised by how badly things have gone recently, remember when people thought he was gonna call an early election lol
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 01:14:18 PM »

I'm quite surprised by how badly things have gone recently, remember when people thought he was gonna call an early election lol

Really? I’ve always thought Boris would run out the clock on this Parliament until 2024 (assuming he stays in charge that long, which now seems less likely). Tory odds of another majority this size have to be pretty slim, given they’ve essentially been in a polling slump since January.

Labour only overtook them in the past month, when the scandals came to a climax, but it’s been a steady decline from their peak popularity during the “everyone can have a vaccine soon and the pandemic is probably over” days.

Yes! I don't there was ever any possibility of Boris calling an early election for the reasons you laid out plus the the looming spectre of 2017, but people in the summer were predicting he would because the tories seemed safely ahead at the time with the vaccine bounce.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 06:26:36 AM »

Surely the memory of 2017 will prevent any new leader from calling a snap election, not when the tory's have a comfortable majority until 2024?

Do hope he goes in the new year though, it will be very funny if the Johnson era is shorter than the May era
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 06:03:04 AM »

Does yesterdays dire result cement a no confidence vote in the new year?
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »

A big issue is that there are not too many capable people in the cabinet able to take over and sort out the mess. Johnson has created a mess and broken a lot of trust with his supporters and voters. Several current cabinet members want to become leader (but none are viewed as being particularly talented) and it is believed that the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and the Foreign Secretary, Liz Truss, are both reported to be 'on manoeuvres' to court back bench MPs.

Tbh if I were Liz or Rishi I'm not sure I'd want to take over at this point in time only to be captain of a sinking ship.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 07:08:53 AM »

It feels weird that I, a right-winger, am probably one of the only people here that actually likes Tony Blair.

Actually no on second thoughts that isn't weird - it makes perfect sense...

I like his governments and record aside from the obvious stupid war, the man himself I'm conflicted about
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 06:55:43 PM »

This has been a fun day.

As long as he's gone before the end of July I think he'll be a shorter lived PM then May and I believe something like beginning of June to be beaten by Brown. Here's hoping.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 06:32:49 PM »

What do we think happens next if the letters come in, but Johnson fairly narrowly wins the confidence vote?  (Say about 200 to 160.)

That's what happened with T. May which didn't turn out very well did it? I don't think the tories will make the same mistake again, if there is a no confidence vote I'm pretty sure he'll lose it since they know it'll be their only chance for a year.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 04:20:18 PM »

Regardless of whether todays events delayed a confidence vote or not, it was still a bad day for the government. Boris is caught in that downward spiral you can't get out of, if it's this week or next week or six months from now doesn't matter much.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 04:45:15 PM »

I'd be perfectly happy if Boris sticks around a while at this point, since all he's doing is damaging the Conservative Party. I know the Tories have a reputation for being ruthless in their desire to do whatever it takes to hold power, but I haven't seen any actual evidence of this in recent years.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 02:33:45 PM »

Ok this is getting absurd now
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2022, 06:06:30 AM »

As I said last week, the Tory party is not as cutthroat as they like to say they are
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 06:30:03 PM »

Looks like Dishy Rishi is implicated in this one, too. Its not been a great few days for him.

I see Sunaks fate as becoming one of those "prime ministers we never had" as opposed to prime minister.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 04:53:26 PM »

At risk of going to the Tower am I the only one who thought the recent announcement from the Queen was rather a sign of where they expect things to be going over the next year or two...

It has been widely reported in the past but I can't help but wonder if it was done to avoid the rather unseemly chance of it being done right at the last minute.

Tbh, when you’re her age, just about anything can kill you. Probably better to issue such a proclamation sooner rather than later, but I don’t think it’s really a sign of anything imminent regarding her health.
I hope she beat Louis XV record before she go would be fitting end to a reigns off topic ish when Charles becomes between the death to coronations that have any effect on the pm approvals ratings at all?

Well she's got 70 years under her belt as of today, just needs to make it to summer 2024 to beat Louis
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2022, 02:31:53 PM »

But the MoS this morning has "TORY MPs SAY THIS IS BOJO's FALKLANDS", so......

Desperately trying to will it to be true
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2022, 12:46:42 PM »

And at least part of him maybe still thinks his stock can rise again if he just hangs in there.

This is likely unrealistic, but we can now all see he isn't that good at actual politics.

He became Chancellor of the Exchequer, so he's a lot better than me.

No just luckier/richer
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 03:50:24 PM »

Okay so Keir resigning would make Boris look worst but do we really think he wouldn't just brazen his way though it like everything else and then things are largely the same for the government expect they've successfully removed Labours most popular leader since 2007? Obviously their preferred outcome would be Keir gets fined and then stays but I don't think him resigning would be the worst thing for them.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 05:44:36 PM »

A Labour-LibDem government is more attractive than one dependent on the SNP, this is the opposite of a scare campaign lol.

Exactly my thoughts, I'd rather a Labour gov reliant on the lib dems than any nationalist parties
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 04:45:34 PM »

This is damning, if only the Tory parliamentary party had the spine to do anything about this.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies