UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:49:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 [213] 214 215 216 217 218 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 296597 times)
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5300 on: July 06, 2022, 04:30:40 PM »

Assuming that the rules are changed and that Johnson does lose a VONC next week (although, at this point, I'm not 100% confident that the party won't bottle it yet again), the rule that leaders can't be challenged again for one calendar year after winning a one needs to be scrapped ASAP. Sure, a threshold of letters for a challenge is probably a necessity, but the one year rule has created a truly ludicrous situation.

At this point I'd also have to say that the careers of anyone who remains in cabinet after this point must be toast. The Johnson loyalists apart, you can't announce that you have no confidence in the PM, tell that to his face, then back down and announce that you support him just because he ing says 'no - piss off'. This is possibly the only parliamentary democracy in the world where the politicians could be that weak and spineless in dealing with a failed leader. You can't imagine them sh*tting the bed this badly in an Australian party.

Yeah, I'm especially curious about what the endgame of Zahawi is. Sure, it's an amusing bit of Machiavellian tactics, but surely all he'll get out of it is like a position in pub trivia nights (who was the shortest serving Chancellor?)

Edward Law, 1st Baron Ellenborough: interim Chancellor from January 23rd to February 5th, 1806.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5301 on: July 06, 2022, 04:31:49 PM »

I don't even get what the Boris plan is now. It's inevitable you're going to lose the VONC as soon as it's able to happen. So what is even the point of fighting? The only possible way to avert it is to go to the Palace ASAP.

Even that would be pointless as he'd certainly lose an election under these circumstances and he'd take the party down with him, but I dunno maybe he'll do it out of spite.

Well, probably yes. But he believes he has magic election-winning powers and probably fancies there's a chance to dig one out against an untested Labour with some "SNP coalition of chaos" line.

I also wonder how much of it is wanting to last longer in office than May did (28 days behind by my count).
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5302 on: July 06, 2022, 04:37:40 PM »

Simon Hart, the Welsh Secretary, has resigned.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5303 on: July 06, 2022, 04:39:52 PM »

BoJo the Bozo needs to go! RESIGN!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5304 on: July 06, 2022, 04:41:28 PM »

I maintain that the biggest bozo here is Nadhim Zahawi.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5305 on: July 06, 2022, 04:44:19 PM »

Assuming that the rules are changed and that Johnson does lose a VONC next week (although, at this point, I'm not 100% confident that the party won't bottle it yet again), the rule that leaders can't be challenged again for one calendar year after winning a one needs to be scrapped ASAP. Sure, a threshold of letters for a challenge is probably a necessity, but the one year rule has created a truly ludicrous situation.

At this point I'd also have to say that the careers of anyone who remains in cabinet after this point must be toast. The Johnson loyalists apart, you can't announce that you have no confidence in the PM, tell that to his face, then back down and announce that you support him just because he ing says 'no - piss off'. This is possibly the only parliamentary democracy in the world where the politicians could be that weak and spineless in dealing with a failed leader. You can't imagine them sh*tting the bed this badly in an Australian political party.

Johnson is trying to make this argument that the Conservative victory in 2019 resulted in a governing mandate not for the party but for him as an individual, which really is totally contrary to the central premise of parliamentary democracy, and it's extraordinary how many are somehow willing to go along with that reasoning.

Reasoning that has been massively been encouraged by our media, of course - not least when even a BBC Political Editor banded around the nonsense phrase "unelected prime minister" with abandon.
kyc0705

« Reply #5306 on: July 06, 2022, 04:55:51 PM »

I think they've crossed "raid the Lords" on ways to fill the vacancies and have arrived at "bring back national service."
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5307 on: July 06, 2022, 04:55:59 PM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5308 on: July 06, 2022, 04:58:45 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 05:03:43 PM by CumbrianLefty »

I don't even get what the Boris plan is now. It's inevitable you're going to lose the VONC as soon as it's able to happen. So what is even the point of fighting? The only possible way to avert it is to go to the Palace ASAP.

Maybe he thinks he can actually get a dissolution *after* losing a VONC??

Utter and absolute madness obviously, but seriously who the f*** knows at this point Cheesy

(Johnson loyalists have also been heard muttering about the "Corbyn precedent" - yes really)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5309 on: July 06, 2022, 04:59:34 PM »

65 MPs is More than enough for a Cabinet. I’m on my third wine now and I’m we’ll and truly backing the Johnson low tax high spend Caudillismo over the psychopaths plotting against him. Go Boris!
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5310 on: July 06, 2022, 05:02:52 PM »

Edward Argar, Health Minister, has resigned.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #5311 on: July 06, 2022, 05:04:05 PM »

"It's just a flesh wound!"
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5312 on: July 06, 2022, 05:05:09 PM »

How did repealing the Fixed-Term Parliament Act work exactly? I'm far from an expert on British constitutional law, but my understanding was that the royal prerogative to dissolve the legislature was a matter of common law, which once codified by the Coalition was forever annulled because the legislature cannot create common law.

The law that repealed it explicitly said that 1. it was restoring the situation as if the FTPA had never been passed and 2. this was non-justiciable. It might not technically have been "constitutional" because of the understanding of common law you mention, but this is the UK we're talking about.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5313 on: July 06, 2022, 05:07:16 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 05:14:59 PM by TheTide »

Suella Braverman, Attorney General, calling for him to go. Saw a snippet of Stanley Johnson (Boris's father) on GB News and putting on a bit of bravado but I get the sense that he doesn't give much of a damn.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5314 on: July 06, 2022, 05:13:05 PM »

Is GB News conservative/right-leaning? Kind of like the UK's Fox News or am I wrong?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5315 on: July 06, 2022, 05:13:20 PM »

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5316 on: July 06, 2022, 05:16:58 PM »

Is GB News conservative/right-leaning? Kind of like the UK's Fox News or am I wrong?
They really badly want to be Fox News, but are constrained by our version of the fairness doctrine, a lack of talent, and a tiny viewership.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5317 on: July 06, 2022, 05:18:06 PM »

I'm starting to think that we'll have a 'Boris Johnson Party' in a few months.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5318 on: July 06, 2022, 05:18:15 PM »

Something approaching it, but nothing outside of the US could ever quite match Fox News.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5319 on: July 06, 2022, 05:19:37 PM »

Which would be less successful than the Nigel Farage Party (i.e. UKIP whenever he led it, and the Brexit Party).
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5320 on: July 06, 2022, 05:22:18 PM »

Right wing but not necessarily pro-Johnson
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5321 on: July 06, 2022, 05:23:38 PM »

Ab Ki Baar Boris Sarkar
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5322 on: July 06, 2022, 05:24:18 PM »

How did repealing the Fixed-Term Parliament Act work exactly? I'm far from an expert on British constitutional law, but my understanding was that the royal prerogative to dissolve the legislature was a matter of common law, which once codified by the Coalition was forever annulled because the legislature cannot create common law.

The law that repealed it explicitly said that 1. it was restoring the situation as if the FTPA had never been passed and 2. this was non-justiciable. It might not technically have been "constitutional" because of the understanding of common law you mention, but this is the UK we're talking about.

Acts of Parliament are supreme over common law and always have been.

The idea that British constitutional law is a part of common law is controversial and not generally accepted.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5323 on: July 06, 2022, 05:24:39 PM »

Which would be less successful than the Nigel Farage Party (i.e. UKIP whenever he led it, and the Brexit Party).

I mean, probably. On the other hand, if Johnson and a rump of hardcore loyalists split off from the main party I can see him doing decent business in a few months time when the new government is inevitably floundering and he can 'be Boris' again, with all that the latter entails.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5324 on: July 06, 2022, 05:25:57 PM »

Suella Braverman launching a doomed leadership candidacy - before the PM has resigned, and while trying to stay in cabinet. In an insane day, that’s got to be in the top ten barmy moments.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 [213] 214 215 216 217 218 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies