UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:19:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 233
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 283721 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4950 on: June 23, 2022, 03:18:01 PM »
« edited: June 23, 2022, 05:33:37 PM by GoTfan »

One of the best things so far of the last few days has been seeing RMT General Secretary Mick Lynch ripping the media to shreds.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #4951 on: June 23, 2022, 05:34:09 PM »

🚨 Lib Dem by-election gain… 🚨

…in North Shropshire

Council by-election today has resulted in a Lib Dem pickup.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4952 on: June 23, 2022, 07:03:15 PM »

Actually South Shropshire, about as far south as you can go. The resigning incumbent was a Local Independent For Local People type: personal views rather right-wing, though as always with such politicians that's a detail.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4953 on: June 23, 2022, 09:28:38 PM »

Actually South Shropshire, about as far south as you can go. The resigning incumbent was a Local Independent For Local People type: personal views rather right-wing, though as always with such politicians that's a detail.

The seat had also been Lib Dem before the resigning Independent came along, so this isn't that shocking.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4954 on: June 23, 2022, 10:15:48 PM »

Whelp, both by-elections were thumping losses for the Tories. Lets see how BoJo convinces the backbenchers to save his job this time.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #4955 on: June 24, 2022, 12:33:21 AM »

Conservative Party Chariman has resigned
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #4956 on: June 24, 2022, 01:30:23 AM »

Raab has apparently pulled out of his usual thing of hacking for BJ on the morning television programmes. Hmm.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4957 on: June 24, 2022, 02:13:51 AM »

So, Johnson has written back to Dowden, basically telling him that he accepts the resignation, but actually it’s totally normal to lose two by-elections and a cabinet minister within 4 hours, and we should carry on as normal because he won a lot of seats in 2019. Quite surreal.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4958 on: June 24, 2022, 02:21:26 AM »

The poor person having to draft that in a hotel room in Rwanda.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4959 on: June 24, 2022, 02:24:51 AM »

A thought- the Conservatives committed around £35 billion in public spending recently to ‘tackle’ the energy and price crisis.

It appears to have made no difference to their polling and the support isn’t designed in a way to get them credit- they should have done a debit card with ‘Rishi dollars’ on it.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4960 on: June 24, 2022, 02:33:49 AM »

Hot take, I could see the Tories falling below 200 seats next election.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4961 on: June 24, 2022, 02:49:22 AM »

Peston suggesting that Sunak resigning isn't beyond the realm of possibility.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4962 on: June 24, 2022, 05:38:21 AM »

Polling from Wakefield floating voters on their reasons for voting. Going to be interesting to see whether this actually affects the party leadership fight, or if they follow the PM’s lead and just bury their heads in the sand.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4963 on: June 24, 2022, 05:47:21 AM »

In Tory grandee news, former leader Michael Howard has called for Johnson to resign and for cabinet members to threaten to quit to try and speed it up. 

Not the biggest voice in the party, but when combined with William Hague, who went public with his criticisms earlier in the month, it seems like there’s definitely some movement from silence to open resistance from the old leaders. Both are in the Lords, so will be interesting to see if this produces any noise there.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4964 on: June 24, 2022, 05:50:10 AM »

In Tory grandee news, former leader Michael Howard has called for Johnson to resign and for cabinet members to threaten to quit to try and speed it up. 

Not the biggest voice in the party, but when combined with William Hague, who went public with his criticisms earlier in the month, it seems like there’s definitely some movement from silence to open resistance from the old leaders. Both are in the Lords, so will be interesting to see if this produces any noise there.

It's possible that every living former leader wants him to go. Aside from Howard and Hague, Major almost certainly would want to see the back of him, IDS possibly voted against him in the confidence vote, May certainly did and Cameron despises him for going against him in the EU referendum.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #4965 on: June 24, 2022, 06:11:45 AM »

Polling from Wakefield floating voters on their reasons for voting. Going to be interesting to see whether this actually affects the party leadership fight, or if they follow the PM’s lead and just bury their heads in the sand.

The interesting thing about those results is that it suggests Boris Johnson was even more of a drag on the Tory vote than a convicted sex offender.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4966 on: June 24, 2022, 08:51:55 AM »

Whelp, both by-elections were thumping losses for the Tories. Lets see how BoJo convinces the backbenchers to save his job this time.

Well, he's not due to face another VONC until next summer. I know that can be changed, but it needs to be done at the right time and way - some MPs maybe wish they had delayed their letters now.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4967 on: June 24, 2022, 08:55:11 AM »

Well, he's not due to face another VONC until next summer. I know that can be changed, but it needs to be done at the right time and way - some MPs maybe wish they had delayed their letters now.

There's a possibility that the 54 was reached due to Johnson allies putting letters in as a way of having the vote at a somewhat better time. A risk, yes, but a risk that has apparently paid off for now. And he likes risks.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4968 on: June 24, 2022, 09:06:37 AM »

There's a possibility that the 54 was reached due to Johnson allies putting letters in as a way of having the vote at a somewhat better time. A risk, yes, but a risk that has apparently paid off for now. And he likes risks.

I think this has been debunked several times since it was first suggested back in January.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4969 on: June 24, 2022, 07:25:14 PM »

You know, someone should just put a sword up the arse of that fat c**nt. Jesus Christ it takes longer to remove CEO's in slowly failing family firms. Can someone not just give the pig a good sh**tting.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4970 on: June 25, 2022, 04:28:05 AM »

You know, someone should just put a sword up the arse of that fat c**nt. Jesus Christ it takes longer to remove CEO's in slowly failing family firms. Can someone not just give the pig a good sh**tting.

Mind if I borrow that line?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4971 on: June 25, 2022, 05:38:27 AM »

That's fine, but just don't tell David Cameron there's a dead pig newly available.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4972 on: June 25, 2022, 06:35:13 AM »

Tories made the Faustian pact with him, and really must suffer the consequences for a while yet Smiley
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4973 on: June 25, 2022, 08:07:36 PM »

Saturday seems to have just been a day of self-destructive statements for Johnson.

He started with “I’m never going to change” and ended with “I’m going to serve at least 3 terms! You won’t get rid of me until the 2030s!”

Just bizarre all around. The 3 terms comment feels particularly ill-judged, given recent history. If I recall, Gordon Brown’s Curry House Plot was triggered directly by Blair bragging about going for indeterminately longer. And Thatcher’s insistence on similar rhetoric, as her premiership was spirally, was a shot of adrenaline for opponents like Heseltine.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4974 on: June 25, 2022, 09:31:45 PM »

Saturday seems to have just been a day of self-destructive statements for Johnson.

He started with “I’m never going to change” and ended with “I’m going to serve at least 3 terms! You won’t get rid of me until the 2030s!”

Just bizarre all around. The 3 terms comment feels particularly ill-judged, given recent history. If I recall, Gordon Brown’s Curry House Plot was triggered directly by Blair bragging about going for indeterminately longer. And Thatcher’s insistence on similar rhetoric, as her premiership was spirally, was a shot of adrenaline for opponents like Heseltine.

I wonder if that was taken out of context. The only thing I can find is him saying "I am thinking actively about the third term and what could happen then. But I will review that when I get to it." Technically though, 2019 was the first term. That said, he would be hypocritical to complain.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 233  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies