UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:38:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 288040 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2500 on: September 06, 2021, 04:25:31 PM »

Is the British pro-life/antiabortion movement as strong and fierce as the American counterparts and what is the status of abortion rights in Britain? Is there any at all?

It definitely exists, but nowhere near as strong. Abortion has been legal since 1967, although does require two doctors to sign off on it. No serious support for anything bar a reduction in maximum time from 24 weeks, which is very high by European standards, 12 being the norm.

Are the British Conservatives pro-life and Labor pro-choice, or is it different there?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2501 on: September 06, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »

It's not a wedge issue in the slightest. There are some pro-life Tories, but the matter is a conscience issue - any votes on it would not be whipped. The same applies with capital punishment.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2502 on: September 06, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »

Who are the Manchin/Sinema/Collins/Murkowski of the British House of Commons?

I know there are centrist Labor and centrist Tories who are to the center of their partisan extremes......
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2503 on: September 07, 2021, 01:10:03 AM »

Who are the Manchin/Sinema/Collins/Murkowski of the British House of Commons?

I know there are centrist Labor and centrist Tories who are to the center of their partisan extremes......

This is actually quite a good question.

The answer is that this phenomenon does not really appear in British politics the way it does in the US.  Rebellions are on more of an issue by issue basis.  MPs don't tend to be judged on their personal voting record as much as US congresscritters.

That being said during the chaos of the Brexit bill there were groups on both sides who would frequently rebel.  Most of these MPs lost their seats in 2019.  This was especially the case on the Labour side where a number of Labour MPs backed May and Boris' Brexit deals for a variety of reasons (supported Brexit, hated Corbyn or represented a heavily-Leave area).  Some examples (not all):

Kate Hoey (left Labour, retired)
John Mann (left Labour, retired)
Melanie Onn (defeated 2019)
Caroline Flint (defeated 2019)
Frank Field (left Labour, defeated 2019)
Ronnie Campbell (retired)
About 4 more I think

Some of those MPs are very leftwing like Campbell while others are more centrist like Mann or Flint although the real Labour centrists mostly supported Remain.

There were a couple of these types of rebels on the Tory side (all these are centrist):

Dominic Grieve (left party, defeated 2019)
Anne Milton (same)
Nick Boles (left party, retired)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2504 on: September 07, 2021, 07:35:12 AM »

It's not a wedge issue in the slightest. There are some pro-life Tories, but the matter is a conscience issue - any votes on it would not be whipped. The same applies with capital punishment.

Probably most Tory MPs are still at least moderately pro-life.

Only a few are committed campaigners on it though.

Labour MPs are mostly solidly pro-choice, but there are exceptions - mainly but by no means solely amongst the strongly religious (of various faiths)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2505 on: September 07, 2021, 07:42:46 AM »

Couldn't find the UK redistrcting thread.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2506 on: September 07, 2021, 07:45:31 AM »

I *think* its in the International Elections folder? But could be wrong.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2507 on: September 07, 2021, 07:52:39 AM »

^ I just bumped the thread for discussion.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2508 on: September 07, 2021, 03:59:26 PM »

Some of the lobby have actually covered this issue well. Others not so… I still to this day don’t understand his politics or how he’s become one of the more high profile Westminster lobby journalists.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2509 on: September 07, 2021, 04:21:10 PM »

Labour did actually back a tax rise for the NHS back in 1992, although that was a long time ago.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2510 on: September 08, 2021, 03:05:55 AM »

Guardian US publishes interview with Judith Butler in which she slams gender critical activists. That whole section is later removed, writer of the article is given no explanation. Proving that a lack of criticism of the gender critical movement and the refusal to platform anyone who speaks out against it is a feature, not a bug, of UK print journalism.

Still she's trending; Streisand effect in action.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2511 on: September 08, 2021, 04:16:09 AM »

The government has almost entirely lost the confidence of the right-wing press, judging by the headlines this morning. If Labour were racking up 30 point poll leads then it would feel very like the mid-1990s.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2512 on: September 08, 2021, 04:26:09 AM »

The government has almost entirely lost the confidence of the right-wing press, judging by the headlines this morning. If Labour were racking up 30 point poll leads then it would feel very like the mid-1990s.
What happened?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2513 on: September 08, 2021, 06:45:03 AM »

I agree with you, but I’d argue that the conservative press had already lost patience with the government by the Summer of 2020. Apart from the respite afforded it by the success of the vaccine programme earlier this year, press coverage of the government and Johnson in particular has been almost uniformly negative since then.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2514 on: September 08, 2021, 09:24:21 AM »

Guardian US publishes interview with Judith Butler in which she slams gender critical activists. That whole section is later removed, writer of the article is given no explanation. Proving that a lack of criticism of the gender critical movement and the refusal to platform anyone who speaks out against it is a feature, not a bug, of UK print journalism.

Still she's trending; Streisand effect in action.

Several very influential TERFs at Graun Towers, of course.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2515 on: September 08, 2021, 11:41:55 AM »

Spending on health and care is expected to reach 40% of day to day Government spending by 2024.

The implications of this for the rest of the public realm are well quite worrying.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2516 on: September 08, 2021, 12:22:08 PM »

With all the discussion of Sunak’s ‘turn to rigour’, I’m a little surprised (in certain respects), that there hasn’t been any talk of selling off a portion of the gold reserve to retire some of the pandemic debt quickly (especially given that only a tiny proportion of the electorate would care about such a move). As far as I’m aware the BofE currently has gold assets worth about £200 billion, so selling off even half of that (a la Brown) would put a considerable dent in the pandemic debt burden. I suppose the issue here is that a) finance chappies and backbenchers would criticise the government for having gotten a bad deal since the price will no doubt continue to rise in the long term, and b) trying to replenish the gold reserve in future (given that gold rarely declines in price for long).
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2517 on: September 08, 2021, 12:51:45 PM »

We should bring back the days of privateers - they could plunder the Spanish Main for us and bring back booty to pay for the NHS.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2518 on: September 08, 2021, 02:28:15 PM »

With all the discussion of Sunak’s ‘turn to rigour’, I’m a little surprised (in certain respects), that there hasn’t been any talk of selling off a portion of the gold reserve to retire some of the pandemic debt quickly (especially given that only a tiny proportion of the electorate would care about such a move). As far as I’m aware the BofE currently has gold assets worth about £200 billion, so selling off even half of that (a la Brown) would put a considerable dent in the pandemic debt burden. I suppose the issue here is that a) finance chappies and backbenchers would criticise the government for having gotten a bad deal since the price will no doubt continue to rise in the long term, and b) trying to replenish the gold reserve in future (given that gold rarely declines in price for long).

Still gets mentioned by voters as a reason to not vote Labour ironically- although I saw someone say in all seriousness that they knocked a door where the resident said they stopped voting Labour because Ramsay McDonald formed the national Government.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #2519 on: September 08, 2021, 04:15:50 PM »

I saw someone say in all seriousness that they knocked a door where the resident said they stopped voting Labour because Ramsay McDonald formed the national Government.

What a horrifically quaint country. I actually cannot think of a comparable example for the US.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #2520 on: September 08, 2021, 06:57:38 PM »

This thing I saw in another thread made me wonder:

Blue Labour is a mixture of red-brown cranks and Cambridge theology students (but I repeat myself).

Nobody in the UK has referred to Red Tories since about 2014.

How does C of E clergy typically vote? And how about Catholics or other Protestant denominations?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2521 on: September 09, 2021, 03:17:34 AM »

This thing I saw in another thread made me wonder:

Blue Labour is a mixture of red-brown cranks and Cambridge theology students (but I repeat myself).

Nobody in the UK has referred to Red Tories since about 2014.

How does C of E clergy typically vote? And how about Catholics or other Protestant denominations?

A ComRes poll published in January asked how clergy voted in 2019.  Sample sizes were tiny, so I'll give absolute numbers rather than percentages, and many pinches of salt are required.  For Anglicans the sample size was 50 and the results were:
Lab 20, LD 13, Green 6, Con 3, SNP 2, Other 1, "prefer not to say" 5

The second largest sample size is for "Pentecostal (AOG, Elim, RCCG, Hillsong, Other)" at 49:
Con 24, Lab 6, SNP 4, LD 3, Green 2, Other 2, "prefer not to say" 8

Other sample sizes are even smaller, e.g. 11 for Catholics (and of those 11 five preferred not to say).

(Tables are linked from this page.)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2522 on: September 09, 2021, 03:35:07 AM »

Looks like there’s no reshuffle and it was, to quote Peter Mannion, a way of getting MPs to behave and eat their truffles.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2523 on: September 09, 2021, 04:19:18 AM »

Looks like there’s no reshuffle and it was, to quote Peter Mannion, a way of getting MPs to behave and eat their truffles.

I know this a tangent but Peter Mannion is a better character than Malcolm Tucker. There I said it.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2524 on: September 09, 2021, 04:33:53 AM »

Peter Manyum.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies