UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:44:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 288063 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2275 on: July 16, 2021, 01:09:27 PM »
« edited: July 16, 2021, 01:21:07 PM by Geoffrey Howe »

GB news has cancelled one of their presenters for taking the knee after their 10 viewers threatened to boycott them.

Pretty hilarious if they collapse this quickly- the Change UK of media.

Why would someone who takes the knee work for GB News in the first place?
Btw, I randomly turned on GB News the other week and saw the presenter (don't know his name) the following day in the street.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2276 on: July 16, 2021, 02:15:59 PM »

I think as long as they're turning a profit (and I imagine they are)...

Given the economics of television I would be amazed if they are. Television news is very expensive, and television news channels are basically money pits.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2277 on: July 16, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »

GB news has cancelled one of their presenters for taking the knee after their 10 viewers threatened to boycott them.

Btw, I randomly turned on GB News the other week and saw the presenter (don't know his name) the following day in the street.

A lot of people have a change of heart? That's why? Piers Morgan was moved by the racism the England Black soccer players faced that now he is 100% for kneeling and wants every player to kneel now, he admires Rashford now for his work in ending poverty.

Things are slowly changing in Britain regarding racism---if the abuse can make Piers Morgan shift and make Susanna Reid burst in heartwrenching tears, things are changing.....
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2278 on: July 16, 2021, 03:17:44 PM »

With the exception of a few the TV presenters are relatively mainstream (and poling shows the mainstream or popular position is to support it)

It was reported they spent a lot of money on attracting the various TV big shots (who I can picture but can’t name off hand) and subsequently didn’t spend enough money on the set/background staff.

There’s also the problem that the presenters together have absolutely no chemistry- the problem with having people who’ve been doing news for 25 years next to people who are 25 is that it shows!

I think as long as they're turning a profit (and I imagine they are)...

Given the economics of television I would be amazed if they are. Television news is very expensive, and television news channels are basically money pits.

It was reported that a certain billionaire tyrant looked at doing exactly this (setting up a right wing politically themed channel) and reached the conclusion there was no money in it and it was a foolish idea. And he is someone who knew about the UK media market..   
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2279 on: July 16, 2021, 03:19:56 PM »

I know very little about the U.K. media market but my hunch was that there was a space for this kind of politics- it just wasn’t a space that would be filled by 24 news which jumps between ‘woke watch’ and ‘local man bites dog’ type stories.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2280 on: July 16, 2021, 08:19:51 PM »

I know very little about the U.K. media market but my hunch was that there was a space for this kind of politics- it just wasn’t a space that would be filled by 24 news which jumps between ‘woke watch’ and ‘local man bites dog’ type stories.

MSNBC covered this GB News last night, the news anchor was perplexed....

But now that Piers Morgan, Susanna Reid and others have been woken from the realities of racism, Tories are going to have to shift----shift quickly.....they should listen to Steve Baker and Andrew Lansley, in 2001, who warned them 20 years ago....

https://www.news24.com/news24/tories-struggle-with-racism-20010901

Labour has their problem with anti-Semitism as well....
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2281 on: July 16, 2021, 08:46:17 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2021, 09:52:46 PM by Senator Ishan of the Northeast »

bronz/Suburbia, since you are posting here, what party do you like the most in the UK?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2282 on: July 16, 2021, 10:25:59 PM »

bronz/Suburbia, since you are posting here, what party do you like the most in the UK?

I am a blue-collar moderate Independent at heart, so I don't think I would fit in with any party in the UK. Tories are too xenophobic and crazy, yes, I believe that every nation on Earth should protect their borders, but they are a little over the top, Labor is not focused enough and they need to unite the leftists and moderates and the LibDems are totally nonexistent.....

Labour has a race problem with South Asian and Muslim voters.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcI3Vtf8Tw

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2283 on: July 17, 2021, 06:55:46 AM »

Morgan's shift is notable, but Reid was surely always there as the "soppy liberal" yin to his yang.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2284 on: July 17, 2021, 12:15:48 PM »

In GB news they’ve drafted in Farage to steady the ship… at this rate it’s going to just be Talk radio and I wouldn’t be shocked if they stop doing any sort of actual programming outside of 4-11PM.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #2285 on: July 17, 2021, 02:49:42 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2021, 02:55:27 PM by beesley »

GB News once got 74000 viewers for an Andrew Neil programme, but it's probably getting about 35k at best. That's a similar level of viewership as channels like Colors TV which doesn't broadcast in English (though that point is moot - Colors TV is the main Gujarati language channel) but the main point is that those sorts of channels are not on free to air television. GB News is also low enough down the EPG that it requires dedicated viewers.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2286 on: July 18, 2021, 10:20:25 AM »

So apparently our Clown-in-Chief planned a STIRRING CHURCHILLIAN PERORATION to mark the end of most virus restrictions tomorrow. Unfortunately, he has to self isolate instead Cheesy
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2287 on: July 19, 2021, 10:56:30 AM »

What’s happened to Alastair Campbell?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2288 on: July 19, 2021, 11:07:33 AM »

That was a strange tweet from him, though maybe not quite as strange as Karen Buck's.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #2289 on: July 19, 2021, 12:52:44 PM »

That was a strange tweet from him, though maybe not quite as strange as Karen Buck's.

What did Karen Buck tweet?

An Ayn Rand quote…
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #2290 on: July 19, 2021, 12:54:41 PM »

Yep.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2291 on: July 20, 2021, 07:07:54 AM »

It was a dig at Sajid Javid (a well known Rand fan) as much as anything.

But the lack of context provided made many people puzzled at best, and determined to believe (or at least pretend to) that a fairly mainstream Labour MP is actually a hard-right libertarian at worst.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2292 on: July 20, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »

Dominic Cummings claimed that he tried to oust Boris Johnson after the 2019 election, and that Carrie Johnson tried to influence Government appointments.

Dominic Cummings has revealed he discussed ousting Boris Johnson within days of the Conservatives winning the December 2019 election by a landslide.

The PM's former chief adviser told the BBC it seemed that, by mid-January 2020, Mr Johnson did not "have a plan".

Mr Cummings also alleged the PM's wife Carrie Johnson had tried to influence government appointments.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2293 on: July 20, 2021, 03:35:43 PM »

Yes. There was an article in the Spectator a few weeks back moaning about the new "Office of First Girlfriend."
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2294 on: July 20, 2021, 03:49:37 PM »

Obsessed is putting it lightly.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2295 on: July 20, 2021, 08:13:51 PM »

Tedious attention whore.
Angel of Death
« Reply #2296 on: July 21, 2021, 09:11:40 AM »

If the UK's vaccination program is supposedly "world beating", then why am I reading stuff about people not getting their second jab until deep into September?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2297 on: July 21, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »

If the UK's vaccination program is supposedly "world beating", then why am I reading stuff about people not getting their second jab until deep into September?

As I understand it, the UK spread out the time between doses early on to maximize the amount of people who have at least some protection. As far as I can tell that did work well in the late winter then they got most retired British people vaccinated at least once.

Now that's a little more risky because of Delta, but I think it's still a method to work with a finite supply of vaccines for the younger population
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2298 on: July 21, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »

Well it was very good at first. Authorities then decided to over-react to that blood-clotting nonsense and restricted the use of the Oxon/AZ vaccine to people over a certain age,* which is starting to have certain predictable consequences: the pool of vaccines available to the people who are currently being vaccinated (i.e. non-medically vulnerable young adults) is more limited than it would have been and there have been supply issues, I gather.

Of course while some things are run at a UK level, there are a few differences between the constituent nations and e.g. Wales in particular has run a long way ahead of the rest.

*We were told that if there was widespread community transmission again then this would be changed, but it has not been. I don't understand either.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2299 on: July 21, 2021, 10:11:21 AM »

There’s also the claim that spacing it out means that you’ll have better immunity going into winter.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies