UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:34:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 288220 times)
cp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: October 29, 2020, 02:58:24 PM »

Seems like Starmer is the real deal, he’s not screwing around. If he takes Labour back in a more Blairist direction, I might root for them again.

He does seem like a credible leader, I prefer him to Corbyn for sure. But hopefully his policies aren't like the 2000s, but he can take a lot of the good stuff from the 2017 manifesto and be a more credible messenger for it.

That's the best case scenario. Sadly, it's highly unlikely. We'll need a new leader in order to build on the progress made in 2017.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1176 on: October 29, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »

Seems like Starmer is the real deal, he’s not screwing around. If he takes Labour back in a more Blairist direction, I might root for them again.

He does seem like a credible leader, I prefer him to Corbyn for sure. But hopefully his policies aren't like the 2000s, but he can take a lot of the good stuff from the 2017 manifesto and be a more credible messenger for it.

That's the best case scenario. Sadly, it's highly unlikely. We'll need a new leader in order to build on the progress made in 2017.

Not a loaded question, just genuinely curious: how do you think Labour progressed under Corbyn? Obviously you think that their policies have become better and more beneficial to society, but do you actually think they’ve become more electable, and does that matter to you?
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1177 on: October 29, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »

Well, I like(d) Corbyn a lot as a person, with his principled stands on things over the years like the Iraq war. However, his failure at almost every opportunity during the 2019 Election campaign to simply say "Yes, I'm sorry" when pressed regarding the (clear as mud) Anti-Semitism accusations, with him at the head of the party, were really off-putting to me.

I don't believe Corbyn is an Anti-Semite as a person. I feel the complete opposite, actually. However, he was woefully out of touch when it came to responding to these matters in a forceful and decisive manner.

Whilst I have been very impressed so far with Starmer (I voted for him as Leader), I have a nagging feeling that this could come back on him somehow, given he was in Corbyn's Cabinet for nearly the whole time the Anti-Semitism accusations were being made and seemed to do precisely nothing himself.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1178 on: October 29, 2020, 03:45:29 PM »

Starmer would be delighted for the Tory attack on him to be "5 years ago he didn't say x about Corbyn."
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1179 on: October 29, 2020, 03:49:08 PM »

Not a loaded question, just genuinely curious: how do you think Labour progressed under Corbyn? Obviously you think that their policies have become better and more beneficial to society, but do you actually think they’ve become more electable, and does that matter to you?

Labour was clearly closer to government under Corbyn in 2017 than it was under Milliband in 2015 or (prospectively) Brown in 2010. Despite the propaganda at the time and afterwards, Corbyn's brand of disruptive leftist politics chimed with the electorate better than May's 'strong and steady' reactionary bullsh**t or the Labour right's apologetic neoliberal capitulation.

Corbyn's election was also a desperately needed dose of reality to the unreconstructed Blairites whose entitled attitude toward the party, and politics in general, was just as toxic as their despicable policy programme. Put another way, Corbyn reminded a lot of Labour members/MPs that after 13 years of Blairite selling out, they had to actually offer an alternative, not just promise to shave off the inequities of the Tory-New-Labour status quo.

There's no way to deny that Corbyn's gambit came up short. I'm inclined to think this was as much to do with deliberate and tacit sabotage by his ideological opponents in Labour as it was to do with its own shortcomings, but it's a moot point now. I think the party needed to jettison the assumptions of the Blair/Brown/Milliband era, and that it, and the country, are better off for it in the long run. I also think Corbyn's tenure will inoculate the party against shallow careerists, at least for a little while, though that might be a bit naive on my part.

I desperately wish there had been a Labour government this year, and in 2016, and in 2011. Politics without power is too slow for my taste. But a warmed over New Labour government would have been a chimera of progress at best (as it was in the first case), and ultimately only served the interests of the well-off and the well-connected.

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1180 on: October 29, 2020, 03:56:04 PM »

Something I truly do not understand is why so many politicians on the left seem to utterly despise the interests of young people, a voting bloc which is regularly among the most reliable for the left. Every other bloc seems to get so many concessions, but the youth just consistently get spit on. If this didn't happen so regularly, it's easy to imagine that youth turnout would be much, much higher across the board.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1181 on: October 29, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »

Something I truly do not understand is why so many politicians on the left seem to utterly despise the interests of young people, a voting bloc which is regularly among the most reliable for the left. Every other bloc seems to get so many concessions, but the youth just consistently get spit on. If this didn't happen so regularly, it's easy to imagine that youth turnout would be much, much higher across the board.

We literally had a general election last year where Labour's entire strategy was predicated on a "youthquake" surge in youth turnout that never materialised...
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1182 on: October 29, 2020, 05:15:38 PM »

We literally had a general election last year where Labour's entire strategy was predicated on a "youthquake" surge in youth turnout that never materialised...

It would be ironic if we have a youthquake now in the US election.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1183 on: October 29, 2020, 05:18:21 PM »

BBC banning staff from Pride as it could breach impartiality rules.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1184 on: October 29, 2020, 05:24:07 PM »

Not to generalise an entire voting block, as someone who was a first time voter (happily voting for the Lib Dems) at 21 in the 2001 Election....Man, I feel old just saying that....Much of the politics of the past 5 years or so seems to be waged on Social Media, then young people forgetting to actually vote.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #1185 on: October 30, 2020, 12:05:13 AM »

Corbyn suspended from Labour over EHRC report.

Wow. UK is truly hopeless, but Scotland could maybe have salvation one day.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1186 on: October 30, 2020, 12:34:03 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2020, 01:02:38 AM by PSOL »

So is a purge or a mass desertion of Momentum from the Labor Party going to happen or not?
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1187 on: October 30, 2020, 04:14:32 AM »

It doesn't help that both sides of the argument seem to think it's just about getting the under-25s to vote more, when in fact the increased electoral salience of 'youth' issues is because they increasingly affect everybody under the age of about 45 (and the 25 to 34 bracket actually tends to be more strongly Labour than 18 to 24 year olds, because they're less likely to be cushioned from the full realities of the housing and labour markets.)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1188 on: October 30, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »

I'm not sure how big a problem it is (and obviously applies to some seats more than others) but there's a big failure in that a lot of people in politics think that 18-24 year olds & students are the same thing.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1189 on: October 30, 2020, 08:35:05 AM »

So is a purge or a mass desertion of Momentum from the Labor Party going to happen or not?

At this stage, still unlikely.

Of course, if Starmer really *did* go for purging the left en masse that could change.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1190 on: October 30, 2020, 10:37:59 AM »

Note the fieldwork date but something no doubt that Starmers team will be pointing to...

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1191 on: October 30, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »

Thought that Opinium polls came out on Saturday night for the following day's Observer?

Two other polls today have shown Labour ahead, however (including Ipsos-MORI showing them leading by 42-37, *their* biggest margin for the reds since 2014)

All taken before yesterday, though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1192 on: October 30, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »

A remarkable strategy indeed in an old country (in all senses) like this one. And one made all the more remarkable by a (common, narcissistic) tendency to conflate the interests and priorities of younger professionals with 'all young and young-ish people'.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1193 on: October 30, 2020, 02:52:34 PM »

Not to generalise an entire voting block, as someone who was a first time voter (happily voting for the Lib Dems) at 21 in the 2001 Election....Man, I feel old just saying that....Much of the politics of the past 5 years or so seems to be waged on Social Media, then young people forgetting to actually vote.

I would hazard a guess that there is almost no overlap between young people who post about politics on social media and young people who don't vote.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1194 on: October 30, 2020, 03:37:57 PM »

Note the fieldwork date but something no doubt that Starmers team will be pointing to...

No doubt in a desperate attempt to distract from this ...

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1195 on: October 30, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2020, 03:51:32 PM by Blair »

But equally the YouGov poll found that even Labour voters approved of the decison?
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1196 on: October 30, 2020, 03:51:32 PM »

But equally the YouGov poll found that even Labour voters approved of the decison?

A function of exhaustion, groupthink, and capitulation more than conviction, I suspect. The centrist stitch up is complete.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1197 on: October 30, 2020, 05:05:02 PM »

Hilariously hypocritical from a company that publishes things like this. The original version of the guidance apparently banned participation even in personal capacity (and still includes a bizarre rule against "virtue signalling"), but now they're waffling about it being allowed if it's not "politicised or contested".

I still don't understand how unconvincingly pretending that queer people don't work there would make BBC seem more impartial to right-wing chronical complainers, but I digress.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #1198 on: October 30, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »

Good grief Sad
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1199 on: October 30, 2020, 11:06:01 PM »

It's long past time for this, but it's good news. Hopefully this is accurate and the situation can get under control, stay safe England.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/30/save-christmas-with-covid-lockdown-in-england-experts-say
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies