UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:07:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287586 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: May 13, 2020, 02:43:12 PM »

Even the SNP is better than Labour or Johnson.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #401 on: May 13, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »

My gut feeling is that the generally obedient British public will tear the Tories to pieces when business resumes. Unfortunately for the public, they just gave them a five year mandate.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #402 on: May 13, 2020, 02:45:37 PM »

Recommend
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #403 on: May 13, 2020, 04:01:40 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2020, 04:04:49 PM by Trends are real, and I f**king hate it »

West Wing-itis is indeed a serious affliction of the political class in this country.

Why? It is such an overrated show. Borgen any day over it.

I don't think those shows are as different as people love to say they are. Like sure, if you want to look at a few specific plot points Borgen is a little more grounded, but their basic vision of politics is really the same.

I say this as someone who's been a fan of both and now feels he's outgrown them.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #404 on: May 13, 2020, 04:07:01 PM »

It's not exactly high praise...
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #405 on: May 16, 2020, 11:42:07 AM »

Seems the government* is now trying to start a war with unions to distract from its virus failings.

(*admittedly mostly not on the record at the moment, using their reliable media proxies and so on)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #406 on: May 23, 2020, 06:02:09 AM »

Oh dear, looks like Cummings has been a bit of a naughty boy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #407 on: May 23, 2020, 08:38:25 AM »

The defences are amusingly craven.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #408 on: May 23, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »

At least the scientist could recently claim that he's got immunity.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #409 on: May 23, 2020, 09:16:00 AM »

"Our Dom" got it as well didn't he?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #410 on: May 23, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »

At the time of his Great Journey his illness was in its early stages, which is when the virus is at its most infectious...
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #411 on: May 23, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »

Some come across as less than sincere as well, who knows what is currently happening off the record?
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #412 on: May 23, 2020, 02:26:11 PM »

After a day spent trying to scrabble together a defence for Cummings, it's just been blown apart by news that he broke quarantine whilst in Durham, and then went back up there after he'd been back to London. This really is the gift that keeps on giving.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #413 on: May 23, 2020, 02:36:14 PM »

He's going to get what's Cummings to him.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #414 on: May 24, 2020, 12:18:47 AM »

If he gets fired for this, then I'll eat Paddy Ashdown's hat. These are the actions of a guy who knows that he can do whatever he wants because he's already got the PM purring like a goddamn kitten in his lap. Watch everybody else who's been fired for a lot less than that raise their palms to the sky in a mighty call of "what the ACTUAL f**k!?" as nothing happens to him.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #415 on: May 24, 2020, 04:11:06 AM »

Thing is, this government has no "plan B" in these situations. Its just tough it out come what may, however much you insult the intelligence of everybody in doing so.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #416 on: May 24, 2020, 04:23:56 AM »

The baffling thing is that the defences put out by the Cabinet don't read like comments from a Government- 'he was putting his kid first' 'how dare you blame him for looking after his child' are all political election responses rather than a Government dealing with a national crisis response.

The Ministers are pretty much admitting that he broke the rules; because if they thought he hadn't they would have said that.

Of course if this was a Government Minister or a civil servant they'd be sacked; but Cumming has this weird Rasputin like repuation in some parts of the Tory Party, and thus parts of it are convinced they'll fall apart without him. I've always felt his repuatation has been overhyped but this saga is really showing us a lot about how this Government operates (including the craven cabinet made up of B-list Brexiters; who've been sidelined throughout this whole saga)

I expect more Tory MPs will come out against him; cummings is hated funnily enough by some of the ERG & the longer this carries on the longer the smell will stick to the party...
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #417 on: May 24, 2020, 04:31:56 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2020, 12:28:31 PM by CumbrianLeftie »

In my mythology of much of the Tory party and indeed the right more generally, Cummings is the person who brought about both the EU referendum result and the first big Tory majority for a third of a century. Given that, its maybe not so surprising that they are terrified of a future without him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #418 on: May 24, 2020, 08:58:03 AM »

I wish I posted it this morning when I predicted it but Peston is now reporting they're considering a cabinet office enquiry.

They're useless chocolate teapot investigations; for those not familar with them they're where the Government takes 3 months to investigate & then clears said offical/minister without releasing a report. (or in previously hilarous displays clears the Minister after they were sacked)

It would be hard to see how that would work this time because there is no element of doubt involded... what can they investigate?

It's starting to look quite difficult for the Government, especially with a bank holiday where people are more especially likely to email their MPs... I've kept off twitter but a fair few commentators on the right are not happy
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #419 on: May 24, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »

Johnson is currently doing the daily press conference himself, whereas ordinarily they're farmed out to a minor Cabinet minister. Defending Cummings to the hilt and insisting that any parent would understand. This seems to be a line deliberately designed to piss off anybody in the country who has had a medical emergency in the family in the past month.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #420 on: May 24, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2020, 01:38:40 PM by Zinneke »

ukpol Twitter absolutely on fire tonight

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #421 on: May 24, 2020, 01:34:40 PM »

Johnson is currently doing the daily press conference himself, whereas ordinarily they're farmed out to a minor Cabinet minister. Defending Cummings to the hilt and insisting that any parent would understand. This seems to be a line deliberately designed to piss off anybody in the country who has had a medical emergency in the family in the past month.

Honest to god, having watched that, he's done himself no favors at all: starts off by vocalizing what millions are thinking (that it's one rule for them & another for us) & seems like he might actually call out Cummings on it before basically just confirming that the rules don't apply.

The Tories have handled this so appallingly that Labour now has every right to exploit it to the hilt. Cummings could've resigned or been fired & Starmer would've had little to say about it but "good." Now, it's a fair target & I hope that it accordingly hurts the Tories.

Until then, though, Dominic Cummings "could stand in the middle of Durham & shoot somebody & [he] wouldn't lose any prime ministerial backing."

Better yet: "I don't even wait to see if I'm symptomatic. And when you're Dominic Cummings, they let you do it. You can do anything. Drive across the country during a lockdown to visit your parents. Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything." - Dominic Cummings
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #422 on: May 24, 2020, 02:57:29 PM »

There isn't PMQs this week... which I actually think might harm the Government as it means the scandal will just continue to brew. With scandals so bad as this PMQs often allows the Government a form of blood letting or the opposition are perceived to mess it up (with the response often being 'oh that could have gone a lot worse)

A long linkering bank holiday where no-one has anything else to talk about however..
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #423 on: May 24, 2020, 03:51:52 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2020, 07:44:48 AM by Blair »

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that this has been genuinely good weekend for the British Press; and a welcome contrast to the ineptitude of the American political press.

Although there has been one senior BBC reporter who has managed to debase themselves even further...
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #424 on: May 24, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »

The front page of the Daily Mail for tomorrow is deeply bad for the government. When you've lost *them* as a Tory, you're toast.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies