UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:15:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 286464 times)
DaWN
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: July 10, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »

Poor old Scotland. Even I don't hate the SNP that much to wish him on them.

WOW, the SNP is really doomed now!!

Well obviously I didn't mean it in a 'oh no here comes electoral juggernaut george galloway to end the snp once and for all' sense, I meant it in a 'oh no here comes a reprehensible annoying f!ck to be a horrible nuisance for everyone' sense.
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #751 on: July 10, 2020, 01:33:39 PM »

WOW, the SNP is really doomed now!!

Well obviously I didn't mean it in a 'oh no here comes electoral juggernaut george galloway to end the snp once and for all' sense, I meant it in a 'oh no here comes a reprehensible annoying f!ck to be a horrible nuisance for everyone' sense.
I was being sarcastic.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #752 on: July 10, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »

It's funny as during my political lifetime I've never know G*lloway as a scottish politican; this is full circle really.

To his credit & I can't believe I'm saying this but he was hilarous at getting under the skin of nationalists in 2014 in only the way that he can- he's a character which to sound cliche is really from a bygone age of British Politics.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #753 on: July 10, 2020, 03:35:54 PM »

Including the antisemitism?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #754 on: July 10, 2020, 03:51:55 PM »

He got most of our clueless pundits (who understand BIG NUMBERS even less than most other stuff) to gush over him uncritically, though - so in that sense it was "mission accomplished".

True - another win for the Dishy Rishi for PM campaign.

How many "moderate Tories" have inspected the wallets of certain "liberal" commentators now?

I don’t think that’s the case so much for Sunak, I think it’s more that a lot of centrist and centre-right commentators are desperate to find just one cabinet minister who exudes an air of competence and authority at the moment. The problem with the ‘Dishy Rishi, master of finance’ spiel, as I’m sure you know, is that the most recent measures announced are essentially little more than window dressing. The £1k bonus over three months per employee whose job is kept won’t even cover a quarter of a monthly minimum wage salary. This restaurant voucher business is patronising pandering and runs slap bang into the objective of having restaurants maintain social distancing. The stamp duty cut is a transparent effort to juice up the old property price go brrr machine.

Sunak does frustrate me a little as he is very redolent of the kind of slick individuals I’ve come across a fair amount in my career over the last few years and I just know he will end up as Conservative leader at some point down the road.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #755 on: July 10, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »

The restaurant voucher scheme does also apply to takeaways, mind.

Sunak as Conservative leader and PM could be likely sooner than you might think; Johnson isn't exactly in full vigour at the moment after his Covid-19 episode.

Also, an Asian PM from the Conservatives would be... interesting. For one thing, I can imagine what Enoch Powell would feel if he heard about it in the afterlife.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #756 on: July 10, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »

It's a shame. He obviously thinks he's run out of places to carpet bag. But I always thought Ulster was a final place he had lined up. His brand of politics is actually not that dissimilar to the region's either!
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #757 on: July 11, 2020, 02:26:30 AM »

Between him and JK Rowling, Scottish politics does seem especially cursed with despicable gadflies these days.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #758 on: July 11, 2020, 07:00:07 AM »

Careful now, he can get quite litigious about such claims.......
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #759 on: July 11, 2020, 07:05:12 AM »

He doesn't strike me the type to be browsing Atlas looking for libellous claims tbf...
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #760 on: July 11, 2020, 07:06:57 AM »

Ahem, it wasn't a totally serious comment you know Wink

(except that he *does* have a fondness for assistance from his "learned friends")
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #761 on: July 11, 2020, 06:37:49 PM »

I wonder what party Galloway would be in NI?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #762 on: July 12, 2020, 04:57:01 AM »

His ego would likely too big for either SF or the SDLP.

Some sort of People Before Profit style personal vehicle?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #763 on: July 12, 2020, 08:02:16 AM »

PBP for sure given their Trot wing.

I've thought Galloway's best bet since 2015 was to wait out the five years in which he would not be allowed to join Labour and then sign up and take advantage of his friendships with Corbyn and co. His grift has been pathetic and this window of opportunity has probably now gone given the direction of the Labour Party, but it's still his best bet given how dire his recent independent runs have been. The only other realistic pathway to a Galloway comeback that I see is Labour supporting another unpopular war abroad (with British troops on the ground).
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #764 on: July 12, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »

PBP for sure given their Trot wing.

I've thought Galloway's best bet since 2015 was to wait out the five years in which he would not be allowed to join Labour and then sign up and take advantage of his friendships with Corbyn and co. His grift has been pathetic and this window of opportunity has probably now gone given the direction of the Labour Party, but it's still his best bet given how dire his recent independent runs have been. The only other realistic pathway to a Galloway comeback that I see is Labour supporting another unpopular war abroad (with British troops on the ground).

Dang it! Unfortunately that's not happening anytime soon, looks like we'll have another five years with Galloway out of parliament.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #765 on: July 13, 2020, 06:23:33 AM »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/13/english-councils-poised-cuts-services-job-losses-loss-commercial-income

In other news many local councils are now ed. Obviously, much of this drive to acquire commercial property on the back of borrowing is due to cuts in central government grants over the last decade, but I imagine there have been some stupid acquisitions along the way. Fortunately all debt (at least for England and Wales, as far as I’m aware) is owed to a public entity (the PWLB) and not to banks/bondholders, as would be the case in the States, so hopefully some arrangements can be made there.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #766 on: July 13, 2020, 06:34:09 AM »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/13/english-councils-poised-cuts-services-job-losses-loss-commercial-income

In other news many local councils are now ed. Obviously, much of this drive to acquire commercial property on the back of borrowing is due to cuts in central government grants over the last decade, but I imagine there have been some stupid acquisitions along the way. Fortunately all debt (at least for England and Wales, as far as I’m aware) is owed to a public entity (the PWLB) and not to banks/bondholders, as would be the case in the States, so hopefully some arrangements can be made there.

Some people where warning about this pre-covid- I think the National Audit Office where warning a lot of councils where relying on assumed profits to present a much more rosy picture re finances.

I don't know if it's a huge difference but I always assumed there was a scale with this; some councils did it on a few sites where as the richer ones in the South-East went a bit crazy with it & started buying up vast sites for supermarkets in places like Wales- which in itself is a worrying trend re local space.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #767 on: July 13, 2020, 06:57:39 AM »

Some people where warning about this pre-covid- I think the National Audit Office where warning a lot of councils where relying on assumed profits to present a much more rosy picture re finances.

I don't know if it's a huge difference but I always assumed there was a scale with this; some councils did it on a few sites where as the richer ones in the South-East went a bit crazy with it & started buying up vast sites for supermarkets in places like Wales- which in itself is a worrying trend re local space.

Yeah I think there is a lot of variation across the board - as discussed in the article, some councils (Luton) are reliant upon one big investment (Luton airport) to help fund themselves, whereas others have, as you say, gone on a big spending spree (Spelthorne). I read somewhere that Spelthorne are confident they won’t have a problem because they have built up reserves (although how they’ve not been burning through those in the last three months I don’t know) - the issue will be whether or not those reserves last until things get back to normal with regards their cash generating assets, which could take a very long time.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #768 on: July 14, 2020, 08:17:25 AM »

The governments ability to cynically palm things off onto local government, whilst not giving them the resources to manage this effectively, is reaching the end of the role I feel.

Large scale bailouts of certain councils are likely in the near future.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #769 on: July 14, 2020, 04:05:48 PM »

The governments ability to cynically palm things off onto local government, whilst not giving them the resources to manage this effectively, is reaching the end of the role I feel.

Large scale bailouts of certain councils are likely in the near future.

I live in a Labour-run council, but a largely Tory area within it. People here complain about how local government is run, seemingly oblivious to the fact that this situation has been created by austerity.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #770 on: July 15, 2020, 06:45:02 AM »

I'm a little bit concerned about the local clusters reporting, particularly as some outlets emphasise the 'high south asian' aspect. While it is true that some cultural factors are at play here, there's a lot of the demography of politics/poor health, extended families in one household that is perhaps too nuanced to get across. For now the potential instigators are fuming over face masks, but I worry going forward.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #771 on: July 15, 2020, 07:02:24 AM »

He doesn't strike me the type to be browsing Atlas looking for libellous claims tbf...

Conversely, I think he's one of extremely few UK politicians who potentially might do just that. Wink
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #772 on: July 15, 2020, 07:30:37 AM »

I'm a little bit concerned about the local clusters reporting, particularly as some outlets emphasise the 'high south asian' aspect. While it is true that some cultural factors are at play here, there's a lot of the demography of politics/poor health, extended families in one household that is perhaps too nuanced to get across. For now the potential instigators are fuming over face masks, but I worry going forward.

Yeah, intriguing how *this* was the final straw for some.

Not all the unavoidable excess deaths, scandalous circumstances in care homes or similar trivia.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #773 on: July 15, 2020, 01:43:16 PM »

Chris Grayling has lost his bid to become the next chair of the Intelligience and Security Committee.

He was offered this plum job in exchange for keeping quiet & was rightly seen as a lackey for No.10 on a committee which is usually extremely non-political & vital in overseeing MI5 & MI6 (there's a fascinating comparison in oversight of the CIA & MI6)

He lost to the Conservative MP Julian Lewis, who is himself a character. But he is at least qualified & independently minded.

This is notable because the Russia report is expected to come out & because No.10 spent the last 3 months trying to find suitable backbenchers to put on here who they could trust would vote for Grayling; a serious blow for the Whips Office & No.10
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #774 on: July 15, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies