UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:12:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 230 231 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 290378 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5625 on: July 21, 2022, 02:40:04 AM »

So the top 2 choices for PM are Truss & Sunak? Wow, the UK is in an even worse shape than I thought.

Horrible choices.

Yikes. I think Penny would’ve been formidable in the next election.

And Sunak will almost certainly be the next PM. Electability argument will spook some hard right voters away from Truss.

Beautiful, thank you Britain!

Sadly - it take enormous margins like this to get a half decent Labour majority because of Scotlands silly SNP fetish. And even more sad is I can’t see these margins holding till the next election

A Labour-SNP coalition is fine!
If you want to kill Scottish Labour’s recovery and hurt Labour elsewhere, yes.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5626 on: July 21, 2022, 04:11:48 AM »

So the top 2 choices for PM are Truss & Sunak? Wow, the UK is in an even worse shape than I thought.

Horrible choices.

And Sunak will almost certainly be the next PM. Electability argument will spook some hard right voters away from Truss.

Sadly - it take enormous margins like this to get a half decent Labour majority because of Scotlands silly SNP fetish. And even more sad is I can’t see these margins holding till the next election

A Labour-SNP coalition is fine!

Yeah No… aligning with the SNP in a coalition is akin to treason to voters in Wales and England. It would ruin Labours appeals to moderates
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5627 on: July 21, 2022, 04:13:45 AM »

A supply and consent arrangement might be best.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5628 on: July 21, 2022, 07:50:12 AM »

Horrible choices.

Well, it depends if strategic voting is still all the rage at that point

As things stand currently, I see absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be.

And whatever happens with the Tory leadership, that's unlikely to change in the near future.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5629 on: July 21, 2022, 03:40:45 PM »

At least Corbyn isn't in charge of Labour right now. Jews in the UK would be at risk.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5630 on: July 21, 2022, 08:25:21 PM »

Liz Truss Holds Commanding Lead Over Rishi Sunak In Race To Be Prime Minister
YouGov poll gives foreign secretary a 24-point advantage among Tory party members, who will choose their next leader.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5631 on: July 22, 2022, 07:03:47 AM »

At least Corbyn isn't in charge of Labour right now. Jews in the UK would be at risk.

To the extent this is true in the first place, its as irrelevant to current affairs as can be imagined

You might even call it "whataboutery"?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5632 on: July 22, 2022, 10:46:32 AM »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-law-in-place-to-allow-businesses-to-hire-agency-workers-to-plug-staffing-gaps-caused-by-strike-action

Finally the Tories actually enact a good policy.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5633 on: July 22, 2022, 12:42:07 PM »

I look forward to G4S running the cross channel ferry.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #5634 on: July 23, 2022, 11:03:47 AM »

Why are the Lib Dems secretive on matters like this?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #5635 on: July 23, 2022, 12:11:34 PM »

Never change, Tories.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5636 on: July 24, 2022, 07:55:40 AM »

Meanwhile, our outgoing PM seems to be spending much of his remaining time in office cosplaying.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #5637 on: July 24, 2022, 10:58:59 AM »

It's a dumb policy, but it's also an entirely ineffective one - the major employment agencies have made it very clear that they don't want this, because their workers would rather work in jobs where they don't have to cross picket lines and most of the industries where strike activity causes widespread disruption do not have a reserve army of labour which is willing and able to do those jobs - people who are qualified to be train drivers are either employed as train drivers or they've decided they don't want to work in the industry any more, they aren't contracted to employment agencies.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5638 on: July 25, 2022, 06:32:37 AM »

Yes, but its DOING SOMETHING. And that's increasingly all that matters these days.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5639 on: July 26, 2022, 11:11:20 AM »

What could be more electable than not importing two thirds of the UK's cheese?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5640 on: July 26, 2022, 11:28:59 AM »

Well, there are schools as well, but there aren't enough supply teachers to fill the gaps in the event of a teacher's strike (also the idea of a school mainly relying on agency supply teachers for even a day is ... ambitious).
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5641 on: July 26, 2022, 11:39:47 AM »

So this happened. Protestors storm a library and film and shoot obscenities at children. It was only a matter of time. Much of the TERF online chatter had been moving in this direction for a number of months.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5642 on: July 27, 2022, 02:04:41 AM »

So, about Boris Johnson's meeting with former KGB agent Alexander Lebedev at a party near Perugia hosted by Alexander's son Evgeny [1], owner of the Evening Standard, in 2018, when Johnson was Foreign Secretary:

I guess the obvious interpretation of "as far as I am aware" here is that Johnson has very little memory of the event due to copious alcohol consumption at it, which would be consistent with his reported condition at Perugia airport the following day.

See also David Allen Green's take.

[1] Also known, thanks to Johnson, as Lord Lebedev, of Hampton in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and of Siberia in the Russian Federation.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5643 on: July 27, 2022, 02:31:09 AM »

So this happened. Protestors storm a library and film and shoot obscenities at children. It was only a matter of time. Much of the TERF online chatter had been moving in this direction for a number of months.

Wow. Absolutely horrifying that the rise in Anti-LGBT violence is happening even over there. The worst among us are absolutely being emboldened.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #5644 on: July 27, 2022, 02:48:43 AM »

https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/07/26/the-conservative-party-is-ridiculing-part-of-its-electorate
Fairly boring article about the Blue wall with not much new about it but one particulary curious bit is it's coined a new name for the blue wall voters, naming them after the radio presented Timn Harford. I'm a listiner to his podcasts but it's an incredibly weird name to coin for a group of voters.
A rising sense of alienation is driving an electoral realignment. The Liberal Democrats made big gains in Woking, and a swathe of neighbouring towns, in local elections in May. Modelling by YouGov, a pollster, in July projected that the party would seize 26 Tory constituencies in what it calls the “blue wall” of southern England, and turn 11 more into marginal seats. “A lot of Conservative voters are pretty alarmed,” says Sir Ed Davey, the Liberal Democrat leader. “They think this government is incoherent, inconsistent and chaotic.” A colleague of Sir Ed’s dubs their target the “Tim Harford voter,” after fans of the presenter of “More or Less”, a cerebral Radio 4 programme about statistics.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5645 on: July 27, 2022, 06:04:07 AM »

Still haven't forgiven the Economist for some of its truly deranged stuff in the Corbyn years tbph.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #5646 on: July 30, 2022, 10:34:20 AM »

Wow. Absolutely horrifying that the rise in Anti-LGBT violence is happening even over there. The worst among us are absolutely being emboldened.

We really do have a nasty, vile undercurrent at times. Something that Americans may not get to see very often. I love this country but,  me, some stuff makes me weep.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5647 on: July 31, 2022, 03:54:56 AM »

We really do have a nasty, vile undercurrent at times. Something that Americans may not get to see very often. I love this country but,  me, some stuff makes me weep.

If they want to see it, they just need to look at some of our newspapers.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5648 on: July 31, 2022, 05:17:16 AM »

We do have maybe the worst "free press" anywhere. And this ties in with our outgoing PM being not just a "journalist" in that same press but a *columnist* - maybe the lowest lifeform of all.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5649 on: July 31, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »

Prince Charles's charitable fund got a million pound donation from Osama Bin Laden's half-brothers in 2013.

Britain’s Prince Charles is facing more questions over his charities after a newspaper reported that one of his funds accepted a 1 million pound ($1.2 million) donation from relatives of Osama bin Laden.

The Sunday Times reported that the Prince of Wales’s Charitable Fund received the money in 2013 from Bakr bin Laden, patriarch of the large and wealthy Saudi family, and his brother Shafiq. Both are half-brothers of the former al-Qaida leader, who was killed by U.S. special forces in Pakistan in 2011.

The newspaper said advisers had urged the heir to the throne not to take the donation.

Charles’ Clarence House office disputed that but confirmed the donation had been made. It said the decision to accept the money was taken by the charity’s trustees, not the prince, and “thorough due diligence was undertaken in accepting this donation.”

The fund’s chairman, Ian Cheshire, also said the donation was agreed “wholly” by the five trustees at the time, and “any attempt to suggest otherwise is misleading and inaccurate.”
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 230 231 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies