UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:47:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287592 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2022, 07:00:11 PM »

A perfect storm of cold weather and gas shortages could lead to a four-day blackout in January for big industries that heavily rely on energy - potentially expanding to households too.

Under the government's 'reasonable worst-case scenario' plans, Brits could face an electricity shortfall of around a sixth of demand, according to Bloomberg.

It means even with other back-ups in place - such as several coal plants being fired up - emergency measures may need to be triggered in order to conserve gas.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/government-plans-winter-blackouts-energy/

Obvious disclaimer that this is worst-case scenario planning, and we’re in the middle of silly season. But man do I have a gentle, but growing sense of alarm about this winter. The discussion of turning libraries and community centres into “warm banks” to keep the elderly from freezing really hasn’t helped.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #376 on: August 12, 2022, 08:16:42 AM »

Plaid Cymru MP Jonathan Edwards has had the whip restored after a long period as an independent. It was originally withdrawn after he was cautioned by the police in a substantiated incident of domestic abuse against his wife (divorce proceedings are ongoing):
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-62507593

She’s understandably quite angry about this, and has denounced the party. It’s all quite ugly. I still think we have to find some way to amend the recall petition system, so those with serious character deficits can be held to account - without creating a situation where marginal MPs are triggered into by-elections on the whim of the parties.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #377 on: August 13, 2022, 06:25:28 PM »

I could make certain comments about both Plaid's internal structures and the quality of the sort of people they have giving them legal advice, but perhaps I'd best not. I'm easily identified and have enough going right now as it is.

Ah - I hadn’t realised there was form for this kind of thing in Plaid. When I think of nationalist parties with a sex-pest problem, and a reluctance to discipline their members, my mind drifts to the north, rather than the south west of the country.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #378 on: August 19, 2022, 07:55:14 PM »

Aye. It’s amazing that YouGov have, in the past 30 days alone, essentially presented data suggesting that the election could be anywhere between a 2010/2017-style hung Parliament, to a 1997-style landslide for Labour. About as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I expect polls to be swingy right now, given that the public don’t seem to have formed strong opinions about the PM-to-be yet, which will be key to polling going forward. But… I really doubt that the public are ricocheting between the parties to the point that we can see a 13% swing in a fortnight.

Curious about what’s causing all this white noise - is it sampling error? Or just a side effect of the circumstances, with both the parliamentary recess, and the interregnum in Downing Street leaving a political vacuum that’s tricky to poll?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies