UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:58:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287785 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3700 on: January 25, 2022, 06:14:43 PM »

Okay, so now they're just making sh**t up.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3701 on: January 25, 2022, 06:14:56 PM »

He, above all, knows that. Which makes it more funny.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #3702 on: January 25, 2022, 06:16:55 PM »

I agree with Jacob. A snap election now!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3703 on: January 25, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »

He, above all, knows that. Which makes it more funny.

It's a threat, saying that if BoJo goes then so does the government. To get to that point requires some weird conclusions, especially since once Boris gets tossed the Tories will let their term go on to the final day if Labour continues to lead the polls. 
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3704 on: January 25, 2022, 07:02:37 PM »

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3705 on: January 25, 2022, 07:20:16 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2022, 08:00:19 PM by Torrain »

Does Rees-Mogg think we don’t remember how his boss got his job in the first place?

Pretty sure JRM actually sent one of the deciding 1992 letters that led May to resign, rather than face another leadership challenge.

Such a farce.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3706 on: January 25, 2022, 07:32:17 PM »

It also seems like a very poor time to make thinly-veiled threats to the Red Wall MPs, attempting to use their constituencies and small majorities against them.

Given the precedent of Christian Wakeford and the whipping scandal - does JRM not realise the optics and outcomes of this are potentially awful?

Whatever poise he tries to speak with, these comments really read like the last-minute scrambling of a politician who knows he might be out of a job soon. Whoever replaces Johnson, whether that be next week or next year, I doubt they’ll be offering a ministry to JRM.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3707 on: January 25, 2022, 07:42:50 PM »

Christ, Jacob Rees-Mogg is going to be party leader at some point in the near-ish future, isn't he?  If anyone thinks that's a totally ridiculous notion, I direct your attention to the current one.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3708 on: January 25, 2022, 08:05:22 PM »

Christ, Jacob Rees-Mogg is going to be party leader at some point in the near-ish future, isn't he?  If anyone thinks that's a totally ridiculous notion, I direct your attention to the current one.
The tories would be lucky to have more than 200 seats if he was their leader.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3709 on: January 25, 2022, 08:16:30 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if whenever Labour forms a govt he gets put in the post at some point between elections, then quickly tossed aside after the party and the public get a good look at him.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3710 on: January 25, 2022, 08:21:46 PM »

It also seems like a very poor time to make thinly-veiled threats to the Red Wall MPs, attempting to use their constituencies and small majorities against them.

Given the precedent of Christian Wakeford and the whipping scandal - does JRM not realise the optics and outcomes of this are potentially awful?

Whatever poise he tries to speak with, these comments really read like the last-minute scrambling of a politician who knows he might be out of a job soon. Whoever replaces Johnson, whether that be next week or next year, I doubt they’ll be offering a ministry to JRM.

Let's do a little exercise, on the basis of this. The future prospects of each cabinet member under the next Prime Minister, assuming that scenario isn't too far away.

Raab - Uninspiring, might be offered something but might choose to call it quits.
Truss - Will likely be there regardless of whether she is the actual leader. If she isn't then she could move to the Treasury.
Sunak - Could move to the Foreign Office if he isn't the leader. Will stay in cabinet unless there's a particularly nasty leadership election in which he doesn't win.
Patel - Gone or demoted.
Wallace - Relatively competent. If gone then it will be on his own accord, although his Boris loyalism could come into play.
Gove - Will be in the cabinet until the end of this government, whenever that may be. Is due one of the four Great Offices.
Javid - Difficult to call. I would guess a return to the Home Office.
Barclay - Generic cutout. Who cares, but may stay.
Kwarteng - One of the drossier members. Could stay in a lesser role.
Sharma - Will probably stay.
Trevelyan - Not much profile. Not sure really.
Coffey - Memeish. Drossy. Will probably go to the backbench.
Zahawi - Possibly a Great Office contender.
Eustice - Useless. Probably out.
Shapps - Hilariously opportunistic and careerist, even by the standards of this government. Could continue to be a clogging member.
Lewis - One of those eternal mid-ranking cabinet members, so probably remains.
Jack - Scottish Secretary, not many alternatives.
Hart - Welsh Secretary, not many alternatives.
Evans - Who cares.
Dorries - Certain to be out. The Diane Abbott of this government.
Dowden - Probably stays in some role or another.

And yes, JRM goes. Not officially a member of the cabinet.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #3711 on: January 25, 2022, 08:49:22 PM »

I certainly hope so...
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3712 on: January 25, 2022, 09:01:48 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2022, 04:12:46 AM by Torrain »

Let's do a little exercise, on the basis of this. The future prospects of each cabinet member under the next Prime Minister, assuming that scenario isn't too far away.

Raab - Uninspiring, might be offered something but might choose to call it quits.
Truss - Will likely be there regardless of whether she is the actual leader. If she isn't then she could move to the Treasury.
Sunak - Could move to the Foreign Office if he isn't the leader. Will stay in cabinet unless there's a particularly nasty leadership election in which he doesn't win.
Patel - Gone or demoted.
Wallace - Relatively competent. If gone then it will be on his own accord, although his Boris loyalism could come into play.
Gove - Will be in the cabinet until the end of this government, whenever that may be. Is due one of the four Great Offices.
Javid - Difficult to call. I would guess a return to the Home Office.
Barclay - Generic cutout. Who cares, but may stay.
Kwarteng - One of the drossier members. Could stay in a lesser role.
Sharma - Will probably stay.
Trevelyan - Not much profile. Not sure really.
Coffey - Memeish. Drossy. Will probably go to the backbench.
Zahawi - Possibly a Great Office contender.
Eustice - Useless. Probably out.
Shapps - Hilariously opportunistic and careerist, even by the standards of this government. Could continue to be a clogging member.
Lewis - One of those eternal mid-ranking cabinet members, so probably remains.
Jack - Scottish Secretary, not many alternatives.
Hart - Welsh Secretary, not many alternatives.
Evans - Who cares.
Dorries - Certain to be out. The Diane Abbott of this government.
Dowden - Probably stays in some role or another.

And yes, JRM goes. Not officially a member of the cabinet.

Agree with a lot of this.
- Patel, JRM and Dorries are doomed, Raab probably too.
- Sunak has be in the inner circle (PM, Great Office), unless he’s lost a bitter contest
- Truss is probably too big to fail right now. I don’t think she’ll be PM right now, but could see her be be given a high profile, but tough job (Home Secretary is plausible) to keep her busy, and away from plotting, although her primary interests are heavily in the international sphere, so she might try and stay put.
- Zahawi is well-liked, so unless he’s backed the wrong horse, he’s feels like a shoo-in for a big job (FCO, Home, or Health if he’s unlucky)
- I do think we could end up with a different Scotland Secretary, if one of the other Scottish Tories helps the new PM whip votes in a leadership campaign. Andrew Bowie, for instance, is a good soldier, defends the government where he has to, but has been distancing himself from Boris. Will face a tough re-elect campaign in ‘24, but might want ministerial opportunity while he has the chance…
- Javid depends entirely on which horse he backs, methinks. Could be sent packing, or allowed to remain in post (poor guy).

Haven’t had enough time to consider the rest, but given how fast Johnson has turfed through ministers, I don’t feel too guilty about my unfamiliarity with the B-Team. On that note, will be interested to see whether May and Early Boris (pre-COVID) alumni feature in his takedown and rise of the successor. The combination of previous ministerial experience (even junior), and civil-war loyalty during party spats typically leads a savvy MP back into the cabinet, so will be keeping an eye on that faction.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3713 on: January 26, 2022, 06:56:37 AM »

Using Daily Mail headlines to justify the leader's position.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3714 on: January 26, 2022, 07:33:40 AM »

Johnson’s prepped line about Starmer for PMQs, “He’s a lawyer not a leader!” seems poorly timed, given he may need one, and certainly may be facing some shortly.

It also plays to Starmer’s biography and assets, letting Labour run lines about “prosecuting the case against the government”. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3715 on: January 26, 2022, 07:37:50 AM »

Johnson’s prepped line about Starmer for PMQs, “He’s a lawyer not a leader!” seems poorly timed, given he may need one, and certainly may be facing some shortly.

It also plays to Starmer’s biography and assets, letting Labour run lines about “prosecuting the case against the government”.  

"I would prefer to be led by a lawyer than a liar, will he resign?" - Lloyd Russell-Moyle, Labour MP
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3716 on: January 26, 2022, 07:42:29 AM »

"I would prefer to be led by a lawyer than a liar, will he resign?" - Lloyd Russell-Moyle, Labour MP

Aye - they kind of set themselves up for that kind of line.

Maybe the speechwriters have started jumping ship too?/s
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3717 on: January 26, 2022, 08:01:32 AM »

Things have got so bad, that LRM said something supportive of Starmer Smiley
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3718 on: January 26, 2022, 08:15:55 AM »

I really doubt this---I don't get the sense that Rees-Moog has any allies or friends to speak of that would allow him to get selected for Leader
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3719 on: January 26, 2022, 08:21:34 AM »

JRM as Tory leader is not going to happen, period.
Angel of Death
« Reply #3720 on: January 26, 2022, 10:01:08 AM »

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3721 on: January 26, 2022, 10:19:03 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3722 on: January 26, 2022, 01:51:20 PM »

^ Lenin?  Really?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3723 on: January 26, 2022, 02:20:34 PM »

He worked as a legal assistant for a while, yes.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3724 on: January 26, 2022, 03:00:52 PM »

Yes, great.  Is it "cool" to be in the company of him?
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies