UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:04:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 ... 233
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 283736 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3550 on: January 19, 2022, 10:03:15 AM »

It’s starting to look as if Wakeford’s defection and Davis’ intervention may in fact have been counterproductive as regards the prospects of a no confidence vote in Johnson. More MP’s seem to be rallying to the PM.

Would Wakeford have defected if he'd thought the threshold was about to be reached?  As he actually went the whole hog and went to Labour rather than just becoming an Independent, perhaps he was going to go anyway, but it seems odd timing.

Of course nobody really knows what's going on with the letters except the member for Altrincham & Sale West.

As per my understanding he’d actually begun discussions with Labour about a possible defection even prior to Partygate, so it certainly doesn’t seem like a spur of the moment thing.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3551 on: January 19, 2022, 10:25:38 AM »

Yes, he appears to have first put out "feelers" to Starmer's people back in the autumn - of course the Tories still led in the polls then and pundits were talking about "Giant Toad" Johnson being in power for the foreseeable (client hacks even wrote up his outlasting Thatcher in longevity)

And that, at least, is a point in his favour.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #3552 on: January 19, 2022, 11:42:11 AM »

I think his defection will help Labour - as long as he doesn't have a butler.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3553 on: January 19, 2022, 11:42:30 AM »

Worth watching the video!

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3554 on: January 19, 2022, 11:43:48 AM »

Why is the 2019 intake so utterly chaotic- compared to say the Labour 97 of Tory 2010 intake?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3555 on: January 19, 2022, 12:10:56 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2022, 03:32:20 PM by Cassius »

Why is the 2019 intake so utterly chaotic- compared to say the Labour 97 of Tory 2010 intake?

Probably a combination of 2019 being a snap election (thus necessitating the hasty selection of candidates), a general decline in the quality of people putting themselves forward to be a candidate and, as a purely Tory thing, attempts to broaden the social base from which Tory candidates are drawn leading to a larger number of weak candidates getting through.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #3556 on: January 19, 2022, 12:39:51 PM »

But is it really? I mean, the 2010 intake included Louise Bagshawe Mensch!
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #3557 on: January 19, 2022, 12:53:01 PM »

Probably a combination of 2019 being a snap election (thus necessitating the hasty selection of candidates), a general decline in the quality of people putting themselves forward to be a candidate and, as a purely Tory thing, attempts to broaden the social base from which Tory candidates are drawn leading to an larger number of weak candidates getting through.

Plus the media has fawned over them and their constituencies while the Party has always made a big fuss over them and their opinions which has probably inflated their egos somewhat.
Furthermore the pandemic has meant they haven't gotten to blend with their older colleagues as much so less cohesion too.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3558 on: January 19, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »

Landslide intakes are usually pretty poor - the high quality of Labour's '45 and '97 intakes disguises the broader pattern. The '59 Conservative and '66 Labour intakes were not very good, those from the various Thatcher landslides were pretty lamentable* and it is considered polite not even to mention the '31 Conservative/National intake. This also holds internationally, with Canada providing (both federally and provincially) some especially striking examples.

*Whereas, perversely, Labour's 1983 intake was famously, paradoxically impressive.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3559 on: January 19, 2022, 01:31:19 PM »

Reports the 1922 might change the rules to allow for a challenge after 6 months rather than the current 12 months.

He might as well resign if that passes.

On intakes I wonder if it’s an age thing; a lot of these MPs are barely older than me!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3560 on: January 19, 2022, 04:07:31 PM »

It’s starting to look as if Wakeford’s defection and Davis’ intervention may in fact have been counterproductive as regards the prospects of a no confidence vote in Johnson. More MP’s seem to be rallying to the PM.

I’ve seen it said by enough people in the lobby to make me think that it was approved by number 10 I’m sure there’s some truth in it in terms of how it stopped Tory MPs putting in letters but ultimately it comes down to the simple test of what is this a good day for the government or the opposition?
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #3561 on: January 19, 2022, 04:20:18 PM »

Regardless of whether todays events delayed a confidence vote or not, it was still a bad day for the government. Boris is caught in that downward spiral you can't get out of, if it's this week or next week or six months from now doesn't matter much.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3562 on: January 19, 2022, 04:43:17 PM »

I’ll keep this brief - because it stinks of spin.

But a senior Labour source keeps talking about there being another 5 Red Wall Tories being effectively courted for defection, fancifully described as “Operation Domino”. The story is being shopped to journalists at the Telegraph, Sky News, the Independent and ITV.

Appreciate that I was the guy who engaged unironically with the “Corbyn is setting up his own party!” spin a week ago. Mea culpa. But this felt at least worth a mention, if only because it’s a fascinating bit of bluster.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3563 on: January 19, 2022, 05:10:11 PM »

Rumoured defections don't have the best track record.  But who might be some "Red Wall" Tories Labour might take?  Not Lee Anderson, surely...

(Not that Bury South, Tory from 1983 to 1997, is exactly "Red Wall" in the usual sense of that cliché.)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3564 on: January 19, 2022, 05:13:54 PM »

Looks like some on the left of Labour aren't happy that Starmer is starting to do well.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60054968
The left-wing Momentum campaign group said Mr Wakeford "should be nowhere near the Labour Party".

"Wakeford should be booted out of Labour and a by-election called immediately," a spokesman added. "Labour must back a candidate that will stand up for the people of Bury South and against this Tory government."

I mean I know there is precedent for a by-election in cases of defection, but my God.

It may be self-defeating, but I do personally think that people should resign and contest a by-election for the opposing party if they cross the floor.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3565 on: January 19, 2022, 06:51:20 PM »

BoJo just doesn't want to get hit by the door on his way out.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3566 on: January 19, 2022, 06:58:06 PM »

Boris is possibly wishing he could face that brat from “Three’s Company” rather than Carrie right about now

[image is a JPG of Muffit from “Three’s Company sadistically snarking at Larry]

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3567 on: January 20, 2022, 05:21:47 AM »

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3568 on: January 20, 2022, 06:25:35 AM »

Seems like a storm in a teacup. Looks as though the coup has failed, although calling it a ‘coup’ is rather generous given the lack of organisation amongst the MPs who want Johnson out. Johnson’s people sticking the boot very hard into Wakeford and the rebels, which will probably discourage most others from putting their heads above the parapet. PM looks to be safe until May at least barring any new revelations.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3569 on: January 20, 2022, 06:34:09 AM »

Seems like a storm in a teacup. Looks as though the coup has failed, although calling it a ‘coup’ is rather generous given the lack of organisation amongst the MPs who want Johnson out. Johnson’s people sticking the boot very hard into Wakeford and the rebels, which will probably discourage most others from putting their heads above the parapet. PM looks to be safe until May at least barring any new revelations.
This will help Labour, Boris has sunk to corbyn level unpopularity and is a real anchor around them. The longer he's at the helm the more it'll transfer from boris to the rest of the party.

Does speak to the votality of British politics that talks of a 1000 year tory reich were discussed a few months back.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3570 on: January 20, 2022, 07:11:31 AM »

Coups in British politics very often fail on the first occasion- although they do equally have the distinction of getting more haphazard and hilarious after each attempt.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3571 on: January 20, 2022, 07:13:28 AM »

It was rumoured that the government were doing the same thing with the various funds back in a fight over a vote last year I can’t remember which one it was but these accusations have been floating around for a while.

It does suggest that a more thorough whipping operation has gone into place over the last few days.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3572 on: January 20, 2022, 08:28:35 AM »

It was rumoured that the government were doing the same thing with the various funds back in a fight over a vote last year I can’t remember which one it was but these accusations have been floating around for a while.

It does suggest that a more thorough whipping operation has gone into place over the last few days.

"Putting a bit of stick about"? You may think that, my dear, but I couldn't possibly comment.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3573 on: January 20, 2022, 09:48:42 AM »

Coups in British politics very often fail on the first occasion- although they do equally have the distinction of getting more haphazard and hilarious after each attempt.

Some of us still recall the Hoon/Hewitt "attempt" (though it can barely be called that) with fondness Smiley
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #3574 on: January 20, 2022, 10:45:29 AM »

If yesterday's actions have slowed the path to 54, that's good for Labour, because Johnson is undoubtedly an unambiguous anchor on Tory support right now. However, the Gray report is likely to come out early next week and if that doesn't lead to a VoNC then the Tories are screwed, because it'll mean they're not going to try and disassociate themselves from Johnson at all.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 ... 233  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies