UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:26:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287648 times)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3525 on: January 19, 2022, 03:37:36 AM »

The key difference between Yes, Minister and real life is that in Yes, Minister they don't go about saying "This is just like in Yes, Minister".

Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3526 on: January 19, 2022, 04:30:39 AM »

This whole secret letter drama seems more reminiscent of a lazy tv show trope than a real politicaly signicant action.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #3527 on: January 19, 2022, 06:47:43 AM »

Christian Wakeford (Conservative MP for Bury South) has defected to the Labour Party. One of those who had gone public about sending in a letter.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3528 on: January 19, 2022, 06:52:27 AM »

Christian Wakeford (Conservative MP for Bury South) has defected to the Labour Party. One of those who had gone public about sending in a letter.

With an official announcement coming literally 5 minutes before PMQs too. Brutal day for Johnson.

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3529 on: January 19, 2022, 06:55:18 AM »

With an official announcement coming literally 5 minutes before PMQs too. Brutal day for Johnson.

Wonder whether it's a lone wolf decision or a general tactic on the part of the 'Red Wall' intake to show what might happen in various seats such as that if Johnson remains leader. Maybe he'll defect back in six months' time if PM Sunak or whoever is doing reasonably well and competently..
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3530 on: January 19, 2022, 06:55:23 AM »

That has to be one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in British politics.

If he became an independent I could understand but to actually join Labour? Truly bizarre.

I wonder how the Corbynistas online will react.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3531 on: January 19, 2022, 06:57:10 AM »

Hahahah this is too good.

That has to be the weirdest thing I've ever seen in British politics.

If he became an independent I could understand but to actually join Labour? Truly bizarre.

It happened in 1995 and 2007- although iirc both those MPs were old hands. His seat has a large Jewish population and he’s chair of the APPG- and his statement mentioned anti-Semitism.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3532 on: January 19, 2022, 07:04:51 AM »

Wonder whether it's a lone wolf decision or a general tactic on the part of the 'Red Wall' intake to show what might happen in various seats such as that if Johnson remains leader. Maybe he'll defect back in six months' time if PM Sunak or whoever is doing reasonably well and competently..

Has that ever happened before?

Seriously, crossing the floor is a big event and has never been used for that purpose.

This is potentially bad for the Tories if it makes more people think *they* are the problem rather than just Johnson (which is, of course, also the objectively correct position)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3533 on: January 19, 2022, 07:19:40 AM »

PMQs thoughts;

Wakeford sitting directly behind Starmer, (the guy in the Union flag mask, for those playing the home game).

Johnson seems have got the entire Tory front bench to pitch up this week (sans Liz Truss, who’s on a plane to Australia, and presumably breathing a sigh of relief). Sunak is awkwardly nodding along, but looks like he wants to be beamed out of the chamber.

Johnson less chaotic and more focused this week, but still being outclassed by Starmer, to my mind at less.

Also, not to be nepotistic, but Wendy Chamberlain, my hometown MP got the first jab in, which is fun.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3534 on: January 19, 2022, 07:22:47 AM »

Time for Johnson to be supplied with a bottle of whisky, a gun and a nice, dark room methinks.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3535 on: January 19, 2022, 07:41:04 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2022, 07:49:04 AM by Torrain »

David Davis (former Brexit Secretary and former Boris ally), has caused a raucous, comparing Johnson to Neville Chamberlain and demanding he resign.

Edit: more specifically, he quoted the Norway debate, taking Conservative MP Leo Amery’s demand for Chamberlain’s recusal, and applying it to Johnson:

"You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. In the name of God, go!"

Which is in itself a reference to Cromwell’s dismissal of the Rump Parliament.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3536 on: January 19, 2022, 07:41:40 AM »

Walkout during Covid statement?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3537 on: January 19, 2022, 07:54:49 AM »

David Davis (former Brexit Secretary and former Boris ally), has caused a raucous, comparing Johnson to Neville Chamberlain and demanding he resign.

Edit: more specifically, he quoted the Norway debate, taking Conservative MP Leo Amery’s demand for Chamberlain’s recusal, and applying it to Johnson:

"You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. In the name of God, go!"

The biggest burn moment in the Commons since Howe's cricketing metaphor?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3538 on: January 19, 2022, 07:56:51 AM »

Despite writing a book on Churchill Boris somehow claimed he didn’t recognise the quote
- shows how shallow he is.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3539 on: January 19, 2022, 08:32:02 AM »

Slight aside here but the Norway Debate is one of the most fascinating debates to be read in Hansard. The Wikipedia article is useful for background info on the various actors in it too.
If my memory serves me correctly Amery was one of four MPs who did not applaud Chamberlain after Munich. Churchill was one of the others and I think a NatLib and a NatLab were the other two.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3540 on: January 19, 2022, 08:50:11 AM »

My exclusive take on to-day so far: LOL
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3541 on: January 19, 2022, 08:52:57 AM »

Nope, no more than usual anyway.

Its still incredibly febrile out there, though.
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

« Reply #3542 on: January 19, 2022, 08:57:06 AM »

Christian Wokeford.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #3543 on: January 19, 2022, 09:14:41 AM »

lmao
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #3544 on: January 19, 2022, 09:24:30 AM »

This has been one of the most ridiculous/fun days in British politics since Brexit. It's sad to think there are 'real issues' going on at the moment but I won't apologise for enjoying the theatre of it all.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3545 on: January 19, 2022, 09:30:31 AM »

This has been one of the most ridiculous/fun days in British politics since Brexit. It's sad to think there are 'real issues' going on at the moment but I won't apologise for enjoying the theatre of it all.

It's like those three rounds of football matches that took place around August 1939......
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #3546 on: January 19, 2022, 09:42:11 AM »

Looks like some on the left of Labour aren't happy that Starmer is starting to do well.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60054968
The left-wing Momentum campaign group said Mr Wakeford "should be nowhere near the Labour Party".

"Wakeford should be booted out of Labour and a by-election called immediately," a spokesman added. "Labour must back a candidate that will stand up for the people of Bury South and against this Tory government."

I mean I know there is precedent for a by-election in cases of defection, but my God.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3547 on: January 19, 2022, 09:50:13 AM »

That has to be the weirdest thing I've ever seen in British politics.

It happened in 1995 and 2007- although iirc both those MPs were old hands. His seat has a large Jewish population and he’s chair of the APPG- and his statement mentioned anti-Semitism.

There were actually several between those dates: Alan Howarth in 1995, Shaun Woodward in 1999 (who was a first term MP at the time, like Wakeford), Robert Jackson in 2005 and Quentin Davies in 2007.  Also there was Peter Temple-Morris, but he was expelled from the Tories by William Hague and later joined Labour.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #3548 on: January 19, 2022, 09:54:34 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2022, 09:57:53 AM by Cassius »

It’s starting to look as if Wakeford’s defection and Davis’ intervention may in fact have been counterproductive as regards the prospects of a no confidence vote in Johnson. More MP’s seem to be rallying to the PM.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3549 on: January 19, 2022, 09:59:47 AM »

It’s starting to look as if Wakeford’s defection and Davis’ intervention may in fact have been counterproductive as regards the prospects of a no confidence vote in Johnson. More MP’s seem to be rallying to the PM.

Would Wakeford have defected if he'd thought the threshold was about to be reached?  As he actually went the whole hog and went to Labour rather than just becoming an Independent, perhaps he was going to go anyway, but it seems odd timing.

Of course nobody really knows what's going on with the letters except the member for Altrincham & Sale West.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies