UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:52:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287978 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2750 on: October 15, 2021, 10:22:33 AM »

RIP. Absolutely terrible.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2751 on: October 15, 2021, 10:26:53 AM »

Horrible, and horribly reminiscent of previous incidents.

As well as those already mentioned, there was the attack on Nigel Jones in Cheltenham when an aide was killed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2752 on: October 15, 2021, 10:41:59 AM »

Amess o/c was one of the longest-serving MPs in the Commons at the time of his death - I'm not sure exactly why, but that somehow makes this feel even stranger.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2753 on: October 15, 2021, 10:49:12 AM »

I’ve also been reminded that Stephen Timms was assaulted in 2010 in a similar surgery event.
That’s 3 times in 11 years. This is unacceptable.

Also the attempted killing of Nigel Jones, then LibDem MP for Cheltenham, back in 2000.

(as many may recall, his aide died endeavouring to protect him)
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #2754 on: October 15, 2021, 10:53:42 AM »

On more of a superficial or partisan point, it is a tragedy for the (Parliamentary) Conservative Party to have lost three of their most well-liked and longer-serving MPs over the year, namely Amess, Brokenshire and Cheryl Gillan, who died earlier this year.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2755 on: October 15, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »

Which, without wanting to be too ghoulish, brings a rather definitive end to the fairly lengthy period when deaths in office almost exclusively happened with Labour MPs.
Forsyth

« Reply #2756 on: October 15, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »

I worked for Amess in 1991-1992 when he represented Basildon.  He grew up in the East End and stood as a Conservative in Newham NW in 1979.  I asked him if he actually campaigned in such a safe Labour seat and he said of course.  He loved meeting new people; he said that if he wasn't in politics he would want to be a chat show host.  In 1983 he did not expect to win Basildon; I asked him once, 'even when the Conservatives were over 20 points ahead nationally, you still didn't think you could win?'  He said that since there were no Conservative local counsellors, and it had an estimated 8,000 Labour majority, he didn't think it was possible.  He and Basildon fit very well with the working class appeal of Thatcherism.  I think he was only slightly less surprised when his majority doubled in 1987. 

I was there during the 1992 campaign, canvassing most days, which he really liked to do and I hated; we traveled in a little camper he had.  The trend on the ground certainly didn't fit with the national polls, but I trusted the polls more than what people were saying to us.  There was a lot of attention on Basildon even before the result, with national newspaper reporters visiting and doing constituency profiles.  After a while he got tired of these because they weren't going to make any difference in Basildon and therefore weren't useful; Basildon wasn't a hotspot of readership of The Times or Guardian.  Mrs. Thatcher visited to campaign, since he was a staunch supporter of her's. Many other Conservative bigwigs visited as well, including Douglas Hurd, Cecil Parkinson, Norman Tebbit.  The result is well-known and was a surprise; I thought it was be 1,000 votes either way, but expected Labour would win.  Instead, Amess won by 1,480. 

I'm sure he would have wanted to stay an MP as long as he lived, which he did. 
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2757 on: October 15, 2021, 11:16:46 AM »

Utterly horrific. Rest in Peace.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #2758 on: October 15, 2021, 12:02:55 PM »

The news of the death of David Amess is truly horrible. Rest in Peace.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #2759 on: October 15, 2021, 12:12:00 PM »

One of the more attractive small 'd' democratic features of the British political system is the accessibility of its political figures, even very senior ones. An MP's surgery is basically open-house and it's common to see politicians use public transport like ordinary people: I once sat behind a sleeping man on a train who I realised after a few seconds was Carwyn Jones, the First Minister of Wales at the time - he had an aide with him, but no security. The frequency of serious attacks on politicians - and of deaths - probably puts this at risk, at least in its present form. Sweden, of course, has had similar issues.

Yes, it easy to take this for granted. I've met all the various local MPs over the years which has been a very positive thing indeed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2760 on: October 15, 2021, 12:22:33 PM »

Yes, Sir David Amess is not someone with remotely similar views to mine but he wasn't a carpetbagger, a careerist, or media talking head but instead was an exemplary local MP.

He did, of course, do a little sidestep over from Basildon to Southend West in 1997, using major boundary changes to the former (which were actually theoretically quite favourable) to exploit a convenient retirement in the latter, but under the circumstances just about any MP would have done the same. He then went on to be as enthusiastic a constituency representative in the latter he had been in the former, despite being so no longer being an electoral imperative. It has been reported that only yesterday he was telling local radio that he was planning yet another push for city status for Southend.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #2761 on: October 15, 2021, 12:33:33 PM »

Horrible, horrible news  Cry
What the  has happened to our politics in the last decade or so? What happened to honest (yet heartfelt) differences of opinion being allowed? What happened to respect?

It just seems to me that Social Media has driven some people (on both sides) a bit crazy. This spate of attacks on politicians is evidence enough of that fact.

Sir David seemed like a lovely, hard working MP with a strong moral/social conscience. I despair at the state of politics in this country right now.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2762 on: October 15, 2021, 01:46:20 PM »

I echo the comments of those above. It is touching that this tragedy should make people remember what the best of politics and public service can be.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2763 on: October 15, 2021, 02:27:14 PM »

I don't think this is official yet, but it is being widely reported that Amess's murder is being investigated as possible Islamist terrorism.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #2764 on: October 15, 2021, 03:10:31 PM »

This is absolutely horrific and my thoughts are with his family, his friends, and his constituents. I have to say that it's kind of weird that I was probably one of the only people outside the UK who knew who David Amess was and now his murder is being covered on the international news. This reminds me of the murder of Jo Cox back in 2016, but also the shooting of Gabby Giffords in the U.S. in 2011. I'm worried that there will be a push, to make politicians less accessible to the people for safety reasons, but I'm even more worried that I probably would have to agree.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #2765 on: October 15, 2021, 03:25:17 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2021, 03:31:02 PM by Alcibiades »

This is utterly dreadful and, above all, just so, so shocking. I think the fact that the killing took place in a Methodist church on a quiet, leafy residential street and that, as Al said, the life and career of an incredibly long-tenured MP has ended in such a horrific manner just adds to the air of incredulity surrounding it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2766 on: October 15, 2021, 03:53:18 PM »

This is so tragic, and I can relate to what has been said about accessibility of MPs. It's sickening, and it may reflect a decline in politics that keeps good people out of public service. Most of all, it is tragic for his loved ones, and they should get love and support at this time.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2767 on: October 15, 2021, 05:29:47 PM »

Jesus christ. No-one should be out in the community and end up dead. My thoughts are with his family.

Who would want to go into politics now?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2768 on: October 15, 2021, 05:39:31 PM »

Well that's not good.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-16/british-mp-sir-david-amess-killed-stabbing-conservative-party/100544430

The Motherland has turned into quite the violent 'free-for-all'.

R.I.P.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #2769 on: October 15, 2021, 06:25:55 PM »

R.I.P

This is tragic
However, if for safety reasons MPs are not in public often, how will they connect with the common man?
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #2770 on: October 15, 2021, 06:31:49 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2021, 06:50:33 PM by Dale Bumpers »

Amess o/c was one of the longest-serving MPs in the Commons at the time of his death - I'm not sure exactly why, but that somehow makes this feel even stranger.

It really does. I just realized that he was an MP for more than half of his life.

The police have just declared the stabbing a terrorist incident with a "potential motivation linked to Islamist extremism". The suspect is a 25-year-old British national of Somali heritage.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2771 on: October 15, 2021, 10:09:29 PM »

Condolences to his family & friends. The thought that 2 MPs have now been murdered in an identical fashion over the last 5 years makes me weep for the future. In any event, I hope MPs consider granting city status to Southend in his honor. His bringing it up at every PMQ's which he was called may have been a long-running joke, but he truly worked tirelessly for it.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2772 on: October 16, 2021, 04:21:51 AM »

What happened yesterday is truly awful and the worst part is of course that this political violence seems to be becoming a trend in this country with the murder of Jo Cox five years ago.

R.I.P. and lets hope that this doesn't continue
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2773 on: October 16, 2021, 01:09:26 PM »

It is a trend and a highly worrying one.

One thing has to be said though - it has next to nothing to do with rudeness or "disrespect" on social media and pushing ending anonymity there as a "solution" verges on actual dishonesty.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2774 on: October 17, 2021, 03:12:16 AM »

It is a trend and a highly worrying one.

One thing has to be said though - it has next to nothing to do with rudeness or "disrespect" on social media and pushing ending anonymity there as a "solution" verges on actual dishonesty.

Social media has played a massive part in radicalisation. I agree that anonymity shouldn't be waived but Facebook and Twitter should ban people more readily and crack down on the bots.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies