UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:53:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287375 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: April 26, 2021, 01:48:06 PM »

I very much think that the flat story is the one most likely to cause damage here...

It tends to be the drip-drip of repeated stories that really does the damage, but I agree that one could be bad for him, depending on what actually happened and how much gets out.

As someone who has never got the appeal of Johnson, though, I'm not in the best position to judge what will get people who like him to change their minds.

Why do people care so much about his flat? The No 10 and No 11 flats seem to be in a perennial state of disrepair. Cummings did say his plans might be illegal though.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #1876 on: April 26, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2021, 02:11:42 PM by MR. WINSTON CHURCHILL »

I very much think that the flat story is the one most likely to cause damage here...

It tends to be the drip-drip of repeated stories that really does the damage, but I agree that one could be bad for him, depending on what actually happened and how much gets out.

As someone who has never got the appeal of Johnson, though, I'm not in the best position to judge what will get people who like him to change their minds.

I certainly couldn't claim to speak for all Tory voters but methinks this could well be the straw that breaks the camel's back.  As you say it tends to be the drip-drip that erodes support but this "bodies" comment of his (of course he said it) is just the thing needed to focus everything on the mishandled lockdowns last year and paint the Tories as the cruel and uncaring "nasty party" again.

Why do people care so much about his flat? The No 10 and No 11 flats seem to be in a perennial state of disrepair. Cummings did say his plans might be illegal though.

Nobody cares about the flat - it's just that Boris isn't being transparent about where the money is coming from.  That's what is damaging.

Those who read London Playbook (surely most of you?) will have noticed that there is also the chance of the Super League affair coming back to bite the govt.  Some are saying that the govt privately greenlighted it only to back track when they realised how the wind blew.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1877 on: April 26, 2021, 02:28:12 PM »

Just looking at BBC News it does feel like we're getting into the stage where a government has been in for too long, has no ideas left and all the news is dreary 'sleaze'. Is this a bit like what the end of the Major years felt like?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1878 on: April 26, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2021, 03:22:55 PM by Cassius »

Just looking at BBC News it does feel like we're getting into the stage where a government has been in for too long, has no ideas left and all the news is dreary 'sleaze'. Is this a bit like what the end of the Major years felt like?

Its been that way since the days of... well, Cameron.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1879 on: April 26, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »

Certainly not from the referendum till COVID.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1880 on: April 26, 2021, 04:27:12 PM »

Certainly not from the referendum till COVID.

Really? I mean quite apart from all of the petty cock-ups and scandals that characterised those years (although tbh those have characterised British politics since the advent of 24 hour media and a more aggressive press), what ideas did the party have? There was Brexit, which May and most of the senior Tories signed onto because they kinda-sorta-had-to and articulated the case for with very little conviction. I think it was quite telling that the Conservative party’s 2019 election slogan devolved to ‘get Brexit done’, as if it was the washing or spring cleaning you’d been putting off forever. Aside from that, what else was there? The government was basically on autopilot for all non-Brexit related things, as was the party, apart from some very feeble and simplistic attempts to reposition itself away from louche liberalism of the Cameron years.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1881 on: April 27, 2021, 01:52:15 AM »

Well the whole Brexit process was hardly dull. For one thing, it always felt like May wouldn't be able to stay in any longer.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1882 on: April 27, 2021, 09:19:20 AM »

Well the whole Brexit process was hardly dull. For one thing, it always felt like May wouldn't be able to stay in any longer.

Well, after the 2017 GE that was certainly true. Not so much before then.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1883 on: April 27, 2021, 09:27:56 AM »

Well, after the 2017 GE that was certainly true. Not so much before then.

Well there was the Miller case and the ridiculous headlines, Article 50 triggering etc.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1884 on: April 27, 2021, 12:54:30 PM »

Do you not remember this? (I can’t bring myself to post the disgraceful headline about the judges.)

Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1885 on: April 27, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »

The DUP is having an internal struggle at the moment.  It appears that a majority of MLAs and MPs have signed a letter if no-confidence in Arlene Foster and a number of councillors have called on her and Deputy Nigel Dodds to resign.  So far Foster is trying to face down the threat and in fact it isn't clear who exactly is behind it.

There are a multitude of reasons why the membership are discontented with them but some that stand out are the DUP's failure to prevent the rolling back of Northern Ireland's socially conservative abortion and SSM laws plus a noticeable decline in support for the party.

Both Foster and Commons Leader Jeffrey Donaldson are former UUP members but despite that are not seen as moderates in the party.

The problem is there is no obvious successor to Foster.  Donaldson is not an MLA and beyond that there aren't really any big names who could save the party.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1886 on: April 28, 2021, 07:29:07 AM »

The Electoral Commission have launched an inquiry into whether Johnson and the Conservative party broke electoral law over donations for the flat refurbishment.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1887 on: April 28, 2021, 08:05:05 AM »

The debate about John Lewis set off by a random comment about BJ thinking Theresa May's furnishings are too prole have really set off Twitter, very amusing stuff.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1888 on: April 28, 2021, 09:37:06 AM »

Johnson lost his rag today at PMQs, it really wasn't a pretty sight.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1889 on: April 28, 2021, 10:14:18 AM »

Arlene Foster is resigning as DUP leader and First Minister.

Gavin Robinson is the frontrunner to succeed her.  He would be their youngest ever leader.  He is seen as to the left of the party.

Edwin Poots will probably be the fundie wing's candidate.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1890 on: April 28, 2021, 10:15:26 AM »

Was just going to post that - its all kicking off at present Smiley

(btw, shouldn't it be "TONTY"?)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1891 on: April 28, 2021, 10:18:50 AM »

Foster is an Anglican from the wrong side of the Bann and used to be in the UUP. In some respects it is quite a surprise that she lasted so long, particularly given her grave strategic errors and general incompetence.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1892 on: April 28, 2021, 10:33:57 AM »

People complain about Corbyn twitter but the sight of Boris/Tory twitter defending him today and calling him a 'national hero' was gut-wrenching.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1893 on: April 28, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »

Seems the DUP found their scapegoat, all of them were alright sitting on their hands for the past 4 and a half years though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1894 on: April 28, 2021, 10:39:27 AM »

People complain about Corbyn twitter but the sight of Boris/Tory twitter defending him today and calling him a 'national hero' was gut-wrenching.

I just do not understand the psychological need some people evidently have to debase themselves in that way over politicians, of all people.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1895 on: April 28, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »

I just do not understand the psychological need some people evidently have to debase themselves in that way over politicians, of all people.

Over these politicians in particular, of all people.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1896 on: April 28, 2021, 10:55:10 AM »

Edwin Poots will probably be the fundie wing's candidate.

If anyone doubts that he deserves that label, let's remember this gem from 2007 (talking to Matthew Parris):
Matthew, you're telling me that cosmic balls of dust gathered and there was an explosion. We've had lots of explosions in Northern Ireland and I've never seen anything come out of that that was good. And you look at this earth and you tell me that there was a big bang and all of a sudden all tat is good about this earth came out of it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2007/12/are_religious_politicians_nutt.html
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1897 on: April 28, 2021, 11:12:45 AM »

The issue with Robinson, aside from the obvious fact that he is far too normal to be selected by whatever ominous smoke filled room passes for the DUP's internal democracy, is he would presumably have to resign his seat and the Alliance could very easily gain it in a by election.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1898 on: April 28, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »

The issue with Robinson, aside from the obvious fact that he is far too normal to be selected by whatever ominous smoke filled room passes for the DUP's internal democracy, is he would presumably have to resign his seat and the Alliance could very easily gain it in a by election.

Yes.  This applies to Donaldson too although Lagan Valley is safer.

Personally I think it is Poots to lose.  Could be worse - Ian Paisley Jr could run...

I don't think the DUP have ever actually held a leadership election so it will most likely be stitched up behind the scenes a la Armin Laschet.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1899 on: April 28, 2021, 01:25:59 PM »

Didn't see anyone point it out but only MLAs and MPs actually have a vote in the leadership election. Another rule which could potentially change states that the leader must be an MLA.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies