UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:56:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287824 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2022, 09:00:47 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but just how many ministers are there?  And (while this number seems to change every few minutes) how many are left?

There are well over a hundred ministers (of whom most don’t have a seat in the cabinet) - Johnson has lost over twenty of them by now. It’s a little strange though as the government is primarily haemorrhaging junior ministers - the only two cabinet ministers to resign were Sunak and Javid.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2022, 10:20:38 AM »

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2022, 02:33:45 PM »

Even Achilles wasn't this bloody minded.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2022, 04:18:33 PM »

Assuming that the rules are changed and that Johnson does lose a VONC next week (although, at this point, I'm not 100% confident that the party won't bottle it yet again), the rule that leaders can't be challenged again for one calendar year after winning a one needs to be scrapped ASAP. Sure, a threshold of letters for a challenge is probably a necessity, but the one year rule has created a truly ludicrous situation.

At this point I'd also have to say that the careers of anyone who remains in cabinet after this point must be toast. The Johnson loyalists apart, you can't announce that you have no confidence in the PM, tell that to his face, then back down and announce that you support him just because he ing says 'no - piss off'. This is possibly the only parliamentary democracy in the world where the politicians could be that weak and spineless in dealing with a failed leader. You can't imagine them sh*tting the bed this badly in an Australian political party.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2022, 04:41:28 PM »

I maintain that the biggest bozo here is Nadhim Zahawi.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2022, 05:18:06 PM »

I'm starting to think that we'll have a 'Boris Johnson Party' in a few months.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2022, 05:24:39 PM »

I'm starting to think that we'll have a 'Boris Johnson Party' in a few months.

Which would be less successful than the Nigel Farage Party (i.e. UKIP whenever he led it, and the Brexit Party).

I mean, probably. On the other hand, if Johnson and a rump of hardcore loyalists split off from the main party I can see him doing decent business in a few months time when the new government is inevitably floundering and he can 'be Boris' again, with all that the latter entails.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2022, 02:38:32 AM »

I might not come back from Italy. Just want to live in a country with a strong and stable government.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2022, 03:42:08 AM »

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2022, 03:12:15 PM »

Are you sure? She looks like E.T in drag (although now that I think about it, that was in fact a plot point in the film).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2022, 08:52:01 AM »

Johnson said "mission accomplished - for now."

Genuinely surprised he didn't slip an "I'll be back" in there.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2022, 06:51:27 AM »

Not being a ‘boomer’ I don’t have a Times subscription, but do share the article where the Times blamed the possibility of Winter blackouts on wokeness and transgender people.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2022, 05:23:13 AM »

Briefing overnight about the next cabinet- Braverman as Home Secretary, Deadwood returning to Government after 30 years and Rees Mogg at levelling up are actual lols. Are they trying to lose the next election?

I loved that it was briefed that Braverman could bring her legal expertise to the small boats challenge- which in itself is deeply hilarious.

My King is Alive

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2022, 04:13:57 AM »

Even if Truss ends up as the UK Kim Campbell, that still means Johnson ending up as the UK Brian Mulroney.

Both also have pretty consequential policy legacies despite ending up deeply unpopular.

Certainly the case for Mulroney (privatisation, the GST, NAFTA and environmental legislation all being major aspects of his policy legacy) but for Johnson? Other than 'getting Brexit done', it's difficult to think of any significant policy legacy that his government will leave behind.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2022, 01:41:07 PM »

The rustler has joined the sheriffs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies