What is your opinion of Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:42:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What is your opinion of Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: What is your opinion of Christianity?  (Read 8522 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2019, 02:40:52 AM »

What is your opinion on Christianity?

I think Christianity is full of ideas and tenets that are hostile towards human nature. For example, it says that being jealous, even slightly, is wrong. Being gay or bisexual is also considered wrong.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 03:19:34 AM »

Too early to tell.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 03:26:13 AM »

gr8 banter, m8
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 10:42:09 AM »

Above all, it is true. 
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 02:49:45 PM »

So if all of your human natures were jumping off of a bridge, would you do it, too?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 09:02:46 PM »

I think Christianity is full of ideas and tenets that are hostile towards human nature. For example, it says that being jealous, even slightly, is wrong. Being gay or bisexual is also considered wrong.

Of course it's hostile to human nature, it teaches that humans are naturally evil, and it's easy to believe that. (At least some forms do.)

Also, being gay is alright in a few forms. It's the Jewish parts of the Bible that condemn homosexuality for the most part, and many believe that they don't appy anymore.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:16:58 PM »

It's the Jewish parts of the Bible that condemn homosexuality for the most part,

This is a genuinely dangerous untruth.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »

Exactly what is false about that? What's the virtue of envy exactly?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 11:45:16 PM »

Very positive, largely for the same reason Rfayette gave.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 02:41:11 AM »

It's the Jewish parts of the Bible that condemn homosexuality for the most part,

This is a genuinely dangerous untruth.

[Citation Needed]
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 11:44:09 AM »

Let's turn that around for a second. Given humanity's penchant for selfishness, violence, and sexual misconduct, why shouldn't a decent ethical standard be opposed to human nature in some fashion?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »

This OP...
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 03:26:25 PM »

There are eight passages in the Old Testament (three in I Kings, two in Leviticus, and one each in Genesis, Deuteronomy, and II Kings) that could be construed as overtly anti-gay, and four in the New Testament (one each in Romans, I Corinthians, I Timothy, and Jude). The Old Testament is three times the length of the New Testament. The idea that it's "the Jewish parts" that "don't apply any more" that are focused on this issue is a misleading statistic at best and a straightforward (and tacitly antisemitic) lie at worst.

The Deuteronomistic Historian appears to have some reason for focusing on this topic, and Paul appears to have some reason for focusing on this topic. One of those writers is a writer of the Old Testament and one is a writer of the New Testament. Any analysis of which parts of the Bible discuss this issue and why has to start with that rather than with some lazy nonsense writing off the issue of Biblical homophobia as some sort of specifically Jewish or specifically Old Testament hobbyhorse.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 06:42:34 PM »

There are eight passages in the Old Testament (three in I Kings, two in Leviticus, and one each in Genesis, Deuteronomy, and II Kings) that could be construed as overtly anti-gay, and four in the New Testament (one each in Romans, I Corinthians, I Timothy, and Jude). The Old Testament is three times the length of the New Testament. The idea that it's "the Jewish parts" that "don't apply any more" that are focused on this issue is a misleading statistic at best and a straightforward (and tacitly antisemitic) lie at worst.

The Deuteronomistic Historian appears to have some reason for focusing on this topic, and Paul appears to have some reason for focusing on this topic. One of those writers is a writer of the Old Testament and one is a writer of the New Testament. Any analysis of which parts of the Bible discuss this issue and why has to start with that rather than with some lazy nonsense writing off the issue of Biblical homophobia as some sort of specifically Jewish or specifically Old Testament hobbyhorse.

That is another issue I have with the Bible. The Jewish people, as the Israelites, are constantly depicted as HPs in the Bible.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »

Did you seriously just [Citation Needed] Nathan about the Bible? Bold of you.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »

That is another issue I have with the Bible. The Jewish people, as the Israelites, are constantly depicted as HPs in the Bible.

It's only what we Mormons call The Pride Cycle, which is very much ingrained into humanity, no matter the society.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 09:20:00 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2019, 09:31:11 PM by Eastern Kentucky Demosaur fighting the long defeat »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 09:33:42 PM »

It's only what we Mormons call The Pride Cycle, which is very much ingrained into humanity, no matter the society.

Very much agreed. Anyone who pays attention sees the same trends repeating themselves in all societies to this day. If one thinks that the Israelites repeatedly straying are meant to be understood as some exception worthy of disdain and not a cautionary rule for us all to be wary of, then the point has been missed.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 12:15:29 AM »

It is hostile to human nature and that is why it is true.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 12:22:59 AM »

It was good in its early context, but has gone past its expiration date since the conversion of Constantine.
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 8.09

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »

Good, but I prefer getting even more specific: Roman Catholicism.
John Henry Eden
Rookie
Uganda

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 01:29:35 AM »

Best thing since Bo rounds at bojangles
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »

The same as my opinion of all cults: An abusive indoctrination system that has wasted innumerable human lives with its insular delusions and anti-individualism. There were thousands of obscure desert cults in the ancient world, and the fact that this one happened to survive is the only reason why today we treat it any differently from Zeus or the moon goddess Nanna. It is a self-sustaining brainwashing organization that survives by emotionally abusing young people, making them feel as though they only have value as part of a greater community, and transforming them into unthinking, unquestioning followers of doctrine and scripture. The moment that we as a species banish it from our moral philosophy, our lives will be incomparably improved.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2019, 11:43:21 PM »

I can't tell if you're trying to be facetious.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2019, 12:58:25 AM »

The same as my opinion of all cults: An abusive indoctrination system that has wasted innumerable human lives with its insular delusions and anti-individualism. There were thousands of obscure desert cults in the ancient world, and the fact that this one happened to survive is the only reason why today we treat it any differently from Zeus or the moon goddess Nanna. It is a self-sustaining brainwashing organization that survives by emotionally abusing young people, making them feel as though they only have value as part of a greater community, and transforming them into unthinking, unquestioning followers of doctrine and scripture. The moment that we as a species banish it from our moral philosophy, our lives will be incomparably improved.

Eh, depends on what your angle is.

I can't tell if you're trying to be facetious.

You can't? Really?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies