Why is Southern Staten Island SO Republican (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:02:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Southern Staten Island SO Republican (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Southern Staten Island SO Republican  (Read 2898 times)
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« on: December 20, 2019, 01:54:13 AM »

I'm Italian American & I'm from Staten Island.
Most Italian Americans are hardworking people who culturally very conservative & they support gun rights,low Taxes & law & order policies.
In the election of 1960 JFK won the catholic (78-22). But he lost in staten island. Which was mostly catholic at that time.

Implying other people are not?

Oh boo hoo you didn't get your participation trophy.

Staten Island is surprisingly rural in parts.  I was there once and saw literal farmlands right near a subway.  This was a while ago, not sure if it's a lot more developed now. 

Silly answer. You can find farms in many metro areas (Sydney has many), and looking at Google Earth and population data its quite obvious that Staten is hardly rural anywhere (though there are sizable parklands). Also, this doesn't really answer the question as to why this part of Staten Island is so Republican given you don't see this level of Republicanism, even in rural areas, until to get to Central PA.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 12:49:34 AM »

Most Italian Americans are hardworking people who culturally very conservative & they support gun rights,low Taxes & law & order policies.
In the election of 1960 JFK won the catholic (78-22). But he lost in staten island. Which was mostly catholic at that time.

Staten Island is surprisingly rural in parts.  I was there once and saw literal farmlands right near a subway.  This was a while ago, not sure if it's a lot more developed now. 

Silly answer. You can find farms in many metro areas (Sydney has many), and looking at Google Earth and population data its quite obvious that Staten is hardly rural anywhere (though there are sizable parklands). Also, this doesn't really answer the question as to why this part of Staten Island is so Republican given you don't see this level of Republicanism, even in rural areas, until to get to Central PA.

This looks pretty rural/isolated to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunnyside,_Staten_Island#/media/File:Clove_Lakes_Sunset.JPG

Consistent with the farming/sparsely populated areas I saw with my own eyes.  But if someone from Australia saw from that it's urban from google maps, well there's no disputing that.  And yes, sparsely populated areas tend to be more Republican so it does answer the question, your analogizing to Sydney notwithstanding.

You linked me an image of a park completely surrounded by suburbia... which is a) by any serious definition not rural at all b) a trait which is far from unique to Staten Island and c) isn't even located in the Southern portion of the borough mentioned by lfromnj. Your argument that the reason why southern Staten Island is one of the most Republican areas east of Appalachia is because it has a few sizable parks is ridiculous and is pretty much nullified by the location you linked from the significantly less Republican northern areas of the Borough.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 10:57:05 AM »

Staten Island is surprisingly rural in parts.  I was there once and saw literal farmlands right near a subway.  This was a while ago, not sure if it's a lot more developed now.  

This looks pretty rural/isolated to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunnyside,_Staten_Island#/media/File:Clove_Lakes_Sunset.JPG

Consistent with the farming/sparsely populated areas I saw with my own eyes.  But if someone from Australia saw from that it's urban from google maps, well there's no disputing that.  And yes, sparsely populated areas tend to be more Republican so it does answer the question, your analogizing to Sydney notwithstanding.

You linked me an image of a park completely surrounded by suburbia... which is a) by any serious definition not rural at all b) a trait which is far from unique to Staten Island and c) isn't even located in the Southern portion of the borough mentioned by lfromnj. Your argument that the reason why southern Staten Island is one of the most Republican areas east of Appalachia is because it has a few sizable parks is ridiculous and is pretty much nullified by the location you linked from the significantly less Republican northern areas of the Borough.

a) stop gaslighting, b) I never said it is "one of the most republican areas east of Appalachia."  That was in OP's post but I simply pointed out that it is surprisingly rural.  Obviously it is not as rural as Appalachia, anyone with a brain would recognize that my point was that it is surprisingly rural IN THE CONTEXT OF BEING PART OF THE LARGEST CITY IN THE United States, c) I did not limit my argument to a "few sizable parks" - I previously noted that there are literal farmlands in Staten Island and I just quickly googled an image that shows that there is clearly lots of open space as compared to the rest of NYC.  I'm fairly certain you've never even stepped foot in Staten Island before.

You completely missed the point of this thread, which is about why Southern SI is so Republican relative to the rest of the Northeast (regardless if its urban, suburban or rural) , not why SI is so Republican relative to the rest of NYC. So commenting on Staten Island's "wide open spaces" is completely irrelevant and unhelpful.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies