Why is Southern Staten Island SO Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:41:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Southern Staten Island SO Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Southern Staten Island SO Republican  (Read 2909 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:24:25 PM »

Like I know everyone's gonna spam Italians but NY HD 62 in Southern staten island is literally 75% Trump!. There isn't a single place in the NE that is this Republican. Even in the upper midwest you can't find anywhere this Republican. The only nearby area Im guessing would be rural Pennsylvania but outside of that you don't hit 75% Trump till you reach Western Ohio or Western Maryland.

FYI the obama romney numbers were 33 66.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 01:29:35 PM »

Obama-McCain numbers in 2008 were more like 2016, for what it's worth. Staten Island's results in 2012 were definitely skewed towards Obama by Hurricane Sandy.

There are lots of uber-Republican pockets in NYC. These voters wouldn't be so Republican if they lived just over the Arthur Kill in New Jersey (though they'd still be solidly Republican; see places like Clark, NJ). But they identify strongly against the rest of NYC and thus strongly Republican. Plus very Republican demographics: high wealth but low educational attainment, in particular.
Sam Smith
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »

I'm Italian American & I'm from Staten Island.
Most Italian Americans are hardworking people who culturally very conservative & they support gun rights,low Taxes & law & order policies.
In the election of 1960 JFK won the catholic (78-22). But he lost in staten island. Which was mostly catholic at that time.

catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 06:40:07 PM »

Most Italian Americans are hardworking people who culturally very conservative & they support gun rights,low Taxes & law & order policies.
In the election of 1960 JFK won the catholic (78-22). But he lost in staten island. Which was mostly catholic at that time.

Implying other people are not?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 09:39:24 PM »

There's literally 0 indication he's saying that.
SInNYC

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 02:47:41 PM »

Obama-McCain numbers in 2008 were more like 2016, for what it's worth. Staten Island's results in 2012 were definitely skewed towards Obama by Hurricane Sandy.

There are lots of uber-Republican pockets in NYC. These voters wouldn't be so Republican if they lived just over the Arthur Kill in New Jersey (though they'd still be solidly Republican; see places like Clark, NJ). But they identify strongly against the rest of NYC and thus strongly Republican. Plus very Republican demographics: high wealth but low educational attainment, in particular.

Also, there are ultra-orthodox Jewish pockets here and there that are comparable. Borough Park Brooklyn voted 69-27 for Trump in 2106. However, Kiryas Joel (orthodox upstate community) wasnt lopsided Trump - I assume its because they have 2 factions and essentially bloc voting.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 09:51:14 PM »

Staten Island is surprisingly rural in parts.  I was there once and saw literal farmlands right near a subway.  This was a while ago, not sure if it's a lot more developed now. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »

Staten Island is surprisingly rural in parts.  I was there once and saw literal farmlands right near a subway.  This was a while ago, not sure if it's a lot more developed now. 

The NYC Subway doesn't go to Staten Island. They do have the Staten Island Railway, which I assume is what you're talking about. Perhaps things get a bit less dense out by Tottenville, but I think it's still pretty suburban.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »

Staten Island is surprisingly rural in parts.  I was there once and saw literal farmlands right near a subway.  This was a while ago, not sure if it's a lot more developed now.  

The NYC Subway doesn't go to Staten Island. They do have the Staten Island Railway, which I assume is what you're talking about. Perhaps things get a bit less dense out by Tottenville, but I think it's still pretty suburban.

I'd be very surprised if there were any farms on Staten Island nowadays. In the 80s, sure. Back then there were still some farms in the inner NJ suburbs, too, that just hadn't sold to developers over the past few decades. Don't see any on satellite maps, either. There's a lot of marshy undeveloped land along the South Shore, though, and some SIR stops are in pretty remote spots that don't have a lot of development around them (thinking of Richmond Valley in particular). Most of it is undeveloped because it's a major flood risk (emphasized and exacerbated by Hurricane Sandy), though, not for any other reason.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »

Large Italian population and long going disengagement from the rest of boroughs. That the only reason, I can find why Staten Island despite similar demographics is more Republican than Suffolk and sometimes Monmouth county.   
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »

Staten Island is surprisingly rural in parts.  I was there once and saw literal farmlands right near a subway.  This was a while ago, not sure if it's a lot more developed now.  

I'd be very surprised if there were any farms on Staten Island nowadays. In the 80s, sure. Back then there were still some farms in the inner NJ suburbs, too, that just hadn't sold to developers over the past few decades. Don't see any on satellite maps, either. There's a lot of marshy undeveloped land along the South Shore, though, and some SIR stops are in pretty remote spots that don't have a lot of development around them (thinking of Richmond Valley in particular). Most of it is undeveloped because it's a major flood risk (emphasized and exacerbated by Hurricane Sandy), though, not for any other reason.

There was a farm, I saw it with my own eyes.  This was in the late 90's though.  And yes it was the railway that looks just like a subway, or did then at least.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 01:54:13 AM »

Oh boo hoo you didn't get your participation trophy.

Silly answer. You can find farms in many metro areas (Sydney has many), and looking at Google Earth and population data its quite obvious that Staten is hardly rural anywhere (though there are sizable parklands). Also, this doesn't really answer the question as to why this part of Staten Island is so Republican given you don't see this level of Republicanism, even in rural areas, until to get to Central PA.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 02:28:17 AM »

Muh Italians is not a sufficient explanation here. The Italian-American political tradition is somewhat more Republican than other "white ethnic" groups but not to an extent that explains 70-30 Republican blowouts. I'm Italian-American as well and very few people in my extended family have the alleged "vote for a Democrat? FUHGEDDABOUDIT!" state of mind. I suspect in Staten Island's case a lot of it has to do with local identity over-against the other boroughs.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 08:33:01 PM »

It's the most densely Italian American place in the country - and it's also middle to high income with relatively low levels of educational attainment. 

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 10:48:02 PM »

Silly answer. You can find farms in many metro areas (Sydney has many), and looking at Google Earth and population data its quite obvious that Staten is hardly rural anywhere (though there are sizable parklands). Also, this doesn't really answer the question as to why this part of Staten Island is so Republican given you don't see this level of Republicanism, even in rural areas, until to get to Central PA.

This looks pretty rural/isolated to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunnyside,_Staten_Island#/media/File:Clove_Lakes_Sunset.JPG

Consistent with the farming/sparsely populated areas I saw with my own eyes.  But if someone from Australia saw from that it's urban from google maps, well there's no disputing that.  And yes, sparsely populated areas tend to be more Republican so it does answer the question, your analogizing to Sydney notwithstanding.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 12:49:34 AM »

This looks pretty rural/isolated to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunnyside,_Staten_Island#/media/File:Clove_Lakes_Sunset.JPG

Consistent with the farming/sparsely populated areas I saw with my own eyes.  But if someone from Australia saw from that it's urban from google maps, well there's no disputing that.  And yes, sparsely populated areas tend to be more Republican so it does answer the question, your analogizing to Sydney notwithstanding.

You linked me an image of a park completely surrounded by suburbia... which is a) by any serious definition not rural at all b) a trait which is far from unique to Staten Island and c) isn't even located in the Southern portion of the borough mentioned by lfromnj. Your argument that the reason why southern Staten Island is one of the most Republican areas east of Appalachia is because it has a few sizable parks is ridiculous and is pretty much nullified by the location you linked from the significantly less Republican northern areas of the Borough.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »

You linked me an image of a park completely surrounded by suburbia... which is a) by any serious definition not rural at all b) a trait which is far from unique to Staten Island and c) isn't even located in the Southern portion of the borough mentioned by lfromnj. Your argument that the reason why southern Staten Island is one of the most Republican areas east of Appalachia is because it has a few sizable parks is ridiculous and is pretty much nullified by the location you linked from the significantly less Republican northern areas of the Borough.

a) stop gaslighting, b) I never said it is "one of the most republican areas east of Appalachia."  That was in OP's post but I simply pointed out that it is surprisingly rural.  Obviously it is not as rural as Appalachia, anyone with a brain would recognize that my point was that it is surprisingly rural IN THE CONTEXT OF BEING PART OF THE LARGEST CITY IN THE United States, c) I did not limit my argument to a "few sizable parks" - I previously noted that there are literal farmlands in Staten Island and I just quickly googled an image that shows that there is clearly lots of open space as compared to the rest of NYC.  I'm fairly certain you've never even stepped foot in Staten Island before.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 10:57:05 AM »

Consistent with the farming/sparsely populated areas I saw with my own eyes.  But if someone from Australia saw from that it's urban from google maps, well there's no disputing that.  And yes, sparsely populated areas tend to be more Republican so it does answer the question, your analogizing to Sydney notwithstanding.

a) stop gaslighting, b) I never said it is "one of the most republican areas east of Appalachia."  That was in OP's post but I simply pointed out that it is surprisingly rural.  Obviously it is not as rural as Appalachia, anyone with a brain would recognize that my point was that it is surprisingly rural IN THE CONTEXT OF BEING PART OF THE LARGEST CITY IN THE United States, c) I did not limit my argument to a "few sizable parks" - I previously noted that there are literal farmlands in Staten Island and I just quickly googled an image that shows that there is clearly lots of open space as compared to the rest of NYC.  I'm fairly certain you've never even stepped foot in Staten Island before.

You completely missed the point of this thread, which is about why Southern SI is so Republican relative to the rest of the Northeast (regardless if its urban, suburban or rural) , not why SI is so Republican relative to the rest of NYC. So commenting on Staten Island's "wide open spaces" is completely irrelevant and unhelpful.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 06:45:58 PM »

DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 07:07:14 PM »

This is a really bad take.  No part of Staten Island is "rural" by any stretch.  Lots of parks? Yes. But the neighborhoods are still as dense as any other early to mid 20th century suburbs.
forsythvoter

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »

Is it really that Republican? Trump won it 57-42, which is a tad worse than 2016, and he did better in other NE counties like Ocean, NJ, rural ME, Carroll, MD, etc. It's only surprisingly Republican in the sense that it's part of NYC, but it's geography makes it seems more like a culturally conservative suburb.

If we limit it to just southern SI, there are other parts that are pretty R too in NE counties - Lakewood in Ocean County, orthodox Jewish areas in Brooklyn. Areas like these seem to have more cultural bloc voting than other areas.
kwabbit

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2020, 03:26:44 AM »

I think one part of it is that part of Staten Island's identity is being the 'other borough' to a very Democratic city. So there is a culture of being Republican in Staten Island independent of ideology. SI is also home to a disproportionately large amount of NYPD officers and other emergency personnel, which are Republican groups.

On just general demographic characteristics, Italians are right leaning, and the high-income/low educational attainment combo is R leaning. A lot of emergency personnel fall into that category, they go hand in hand.

Also Trump has a strong cultural affinity with Staten Island. SI and the Jersey Shore counties are the places where Trump's whole shtick plays best culturally. Being brash is just part of the Guido culture.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies