What does "ethnic white" mean?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:22:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What does "ethnic white" mean?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does "ethnic white" mean?  (Read 1382 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2020, 11:23:00 AM »

I have Mexican, Polish, English, and Swedish ancestry. What is the definition of "ethnic white"?
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 01:32:58 PM »

Traditionally it means any European descent community other than those of Anglo-Saxon/Northern European descent, but that definition is pretty tied to the early 20th century, when you had an established population of WASP Americans living here and a huge number of immigrants from other European communities coming in. That's pretty outdated though, as most people descended from those immigrants have assimilated pretty fully into the broader White American culture.

In the current political context I take it to mean communities of European descent that retain a large part of their ethnic community and culture rather than fully assimilating into basic White American culture.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 01:40:38 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2020, 02:05:18 PM by President Joseph R. Biden »

It's a dated term but it mostly been used to refer to immigrants from non-protestant Europe.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 01:53:38 PM »

It's a dated term but it mostly been used to refer to immigrants from non-protestants Europe.

Yeah, it largely came to mean non-Germanic Europeans, possibly including Celtic populations of the British Isles.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »

Definitely Italians and Poles.  Sometimes Irish.  Sometimes Jews.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »

Do I count as ethnic white?
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 08:41:46 PM »

Again, it's pretty dated and problematic so I wouldn't put too much stock into it, but I think it's less about "Where do my ancestors come from?" and more about how much that heritage affects your daily life.

Like, if your Polish heritage is a fun fact about your great-grandfather that doesn't really impact your life in any way, then probably not.

But if you live in a significantly Polish neighborhood, interact within a community of other Polish-American people, cook Polish food, have connections in Poland, etc. then you could maybe be described that way.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 08:49:17 PM »

People from the British Isles, Germany, and Scandinavia don't have an ethnicity. Duh.

It's an archaic term for descendants of southern and eastern Europeans that immigrated to the U.S. in large numbers in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 09:00:41 PM »

It is a meaningless term today in American politics, it had some meaning in the early 20th century where you had a dichotomy between Protestant whites and newer whites from Europe who migrated in the late 1800's and early 1900's, post 1990 really this term has ceased to mean anything.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 09:32:57 AM »

Again, it's pretty dated and problematic so I wouldn't put too much stock into it, but I think it's less about "Where do my ancestors come from?" and more about how much that heritage affects your daily life.

Like, if your Polish heritage is a fun fact about your great-grandfather that doesn't really impact your life in any way, then probably not.

But if you live in a significantly Polish neighborhood, interact within a community of other Polish-American people, cook Polish food, have connections in Poland, etc. then you could maybe be described that way.
One side of my family is half Polish and Mexican. I also count as Hispanic white in the census. I don't live in a significantly Polish neighborhood.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »

I have Mexican, Polish, English, and Swedish ancestry. What is the definition of "ethnic white"?
Ah yes, a southwestern mutt.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 05:27:18 PM »

From 1989:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1989-02-13-8903050015-story.html
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 12:05:42 AM »

I guess if one lives in the west or sunbelt one could proclaim "these differences mean absolutely nothing anymore" given that there are no white ethnic enclaves and the relatively small number of people with (at least some) "white ethnic" ancestry have just melted into the white mainstream.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies