Trump broadcasts anti-Semitic tropes about Jewish wealth and hard business sense
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 06:05:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump broadcasts anti-Semitic tropes about Jewish wealth and hard business sense
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump broadcasts anti-Semitic tropes about Jewish wealth and hard business sense  (Read 1425 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/12/07/trump-touts-accomplishments-address-meant-woo-jewish-voters-bolster-support-florida/

Trump spoke to a Jewish and pro-Israel audience yesterday. You'll never guess what happened.

“You’re not going to vote for Pocahontas. I can tell you that much,” he said, referring to Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), a Democratic presidential contender, using an insult he has regularly deployed against her.

“You’re not going to vote for the wealth tax,” he continued. “Even if you don’t like me, some of you don’t … you’re going to be my biggest supporters because you’ll be out of business in about 15 minutes.”

Quoted in The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/08/trump-jared-kushner-israel-palestinians-peace:

Trump also told his audience in Florida that “a lot of you are in the real estate business because I know you very well. You’re brutal killers, not nice people at all but you have to vote for me you have no choice."

Shorter Trump: It's all about the Benjamins, baby.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:07:17 AM »

Recognizing/celebrating the fact that another ethnic group is successful is racist?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »

Recognizing/celebrating the fact that another ethnic group is successful is racist?

Now do Ilhan Omar.

Then tell me how Republicans "celebrate" George Soros.

Finally, google "jews money cartoon" and see what comes up celebrating Jewish financial success. I won't post them here.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 12:28:44 PM »

Trump is a modern day Cyrus.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 01:13:26 PM »

But you see some random college student said Zionism is bad so really it's the Democrats who are anti-Semitic.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2019, 04:31:45 PM by TG »

Yes and getting a D- is better than getting an F . Doesn’t make getting a D- a good grade at all
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 02:32:58 PM »

Saying that "there are American Jews that don't support Israel enough" and thinking that's somehow a zinger is one of the more baffling things I've heard Trump say over the past few weeks. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 02:36:33 PM »

Always nice to see that bad-faith goysplaining is alive and well Roll Eyes
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 03:51:08 PM »

Some of his appeals, "you'll be out of business in 15 minutes" and "because you have no choice" sound almost like threats.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 03:54:24 PM »

Trump is a racist buffoon, but this sounds more like him being a clueless, tone deaf old guy and not even realizing what he's saying could be construed as offensive. Don't think he's deliberately trying to be an anti-semite.

Its his half-hearted way of trying to connect to the crowd.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »

Saying that "there are American Jews that don't support Israel enough" and thinking that's somehow a zinger is one of the more baffling things I've heard Trump say over the past few weeks. 

I quit trying to rank them long ago.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 04:04:12 PM »

Trump is a racist buffoon, but this sounds more like him being a clueless, tone deaf old guy and not even realizing what he's saying could be construed as offensive. Don't think he's deliberately trying to be an anti-semite.

I agree, but the fact that he's not deliberately trying to be antisemitic doesn't mean he isn't being antisemitic.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »

What do you suppose the median net worth was in that room?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 05:15:27 PM »

Silly Zionists don’t understand American humor.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 05:33:23 PM »

Quite a few Zionists in that room were laughing.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 05:38:56 PM »

Quite a few Zionists in that room were laughing.

I was making a Corbyn joke, but okay...?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 06:16:01 PM »

I'm actually inclined to agree with this.Trump and his posse are just as stupidly and offensively out of touch with many of their fellow citizens as liberals are, but they've been very successful at conveying this narrative framework that it's only incumbent upon "coastal elitists" to get in touch with the needs of "Real Americans" and never the other way around.

The conservative coalition's attempt to breakthrough into more of the Jewish vote has been a constant highlight reel for displaying the underappreciated reality of this uninformed detachment, since we are really the only segment of the aforementioned "coastal elite" that they are actually trying (and largely failing) to make overtures towards. Trump's attempts in particular have brought these chauvinistic faux pas into the starkest relief.

Jews absolutely have a choice, and the vast majority of us will not be voting to reelect him.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »

The real racists and anti semites is the person that leaked this story to the media
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 06:39:36 PM »

I don't think he's trying to be anti-semitic, but it definitely seems like he holds some "benevolent" anti-semitic stereotypes.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 06:48:40 PM »

So Trump decides to go into meeting with a bunch of people call them scum, and says to them they will vote for him anyway, because he will let them keep their ill gotten money, while the other candidate will take some of their money.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 06:49:56 PM »

This is yet another reason why I was hoping for Benny Gantz to becomes Israel's next Prime Minister. Had that happened, I imagine that Trump and the GOP's tune on Israel would change quite a bit and be much less subtle with the usual antisemitic tropes that they cling to while projecting about Corbyn, Omar, Tlaib, and the left in general.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »

I don’t understand the argument that he wasn’t “trying to be anti-Semitic.” He holds nasty anti-Semitic beliefs about Jews, the same ones that got Ilhan Omar in trouble, and polluted his speech with them. The fact that’s he’s oblivious or shameless about it isn’t a get out of jail free card. It’s kind of like how Republicans think that if Trump said “no quid pro quo”, it excuses him asking for a quid pro quo.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »

An orange avatar in here with “how can Trump be racist when Sheriff Clarke and Diamond and Silk love him” logic.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 08:48:39 PM »

I don’t understand the argument that he wasn’t “trying to be anti-Semitic.” He holds nasty anti-Semitic beliefs about Jews, the same ones that got Ilhan Omar in trouble, and polluted his speech with them. The fact that’s he’s oblivious or shameless about it isn’t a get out of jail free card. It’s kind of like how Republicans think that if Trump said “no quid pro quo”, it excuses him asking for a quid pro quo.

I mean, I understand it.  They don’t care about anti-Semitism unless it’s coming from a Democrat, simple as that.  It’s obviously horrible and hypocritical, but it’s not terribly complicated.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 09:54:08 PM »

An orange avatar in here with “how can Trump be racist when Sheriff Clarke and Diamond and Silk love him” logic.

If you don't think the people Trump was talking to are a representative of Jews as a whole why would you be offended by what he said to them?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies