What would Atlas be like if it existed in the past? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:50:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What would Atlas be like if it existed in the past? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would Atlas be like if it existed in the past?  (Read 31514 times)
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:38:01 PM »
« edited: September 09, 2020, 11:03:16 AM by HenryWallaceVP »

So, I was reading through this old thread (which incidentally is well worth a read), and, me being me, I couldn't help but notice some historical parallels between the Iran-Saudi debate and discussions about France vs. Austria in the Dutch Republic of the 1680s. I know people have made threads like this before, so I decided to try one out by making a parody of this Parrotguy post. I should note that just because I'm parodying him that doesn't mean I disagree; in fact I think he makes some quite good points, and furthermore Popinjayguy would prove to be vindicated within a couple months of making this post once Louis XIV had revoked the Edict of Nantes.

Popinjayguy
Wyman
YaBB God

★★★★★

Why do Orangists love Popery and the House of Austria so much?
« on: August 18, 1685, 11:37:32 pm »
Well, for Stadtholder William it's not really loving the House of Austria. I rarely defend him, but on this issue he's right- the Netherlands has been one of the few nations willing to point out the Austrian hypocrisity in the past, but when all the rest of the countries around you are ruled by murderous papists who use you as their scapegoat for everything (France, England etc) and want to destroy you, do you really blame William for trying regional cooperation with anyone who's willing, no matter how repugnant their regime? I mean, France called for erasing the Netherlands off the map and James II refuses to listen and made it a habit to bash the Dutch whenever he's in trouble, so do you want William to burn himself with the third important regional power, logic and survival instinct be damned?

Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 11:20:52 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2019, 11:25:23 PM by HenryWallaceVP »

In 1420 every1 would be high lmao and just post about how monarchy sucks major dick and how they hope they don't get the plague

One time you made a joke thread in the Individual Politics board about the 1695 English general election, and I was actually just now thinking about how, big powdered wigs aside, you'd be a perfect fit for the Whigs of that era. They were, to oversimplify things, much more socially liberal than the Tories, as they generally favored greater religious tolerance (except for Catholics). The Whigs were also in favor of checking the power of the King and delegating more to Parliament, while the Tories were far more royalist and often believed in the divine right of kings to rule. Additionally, the Whigs on foreign policy were also very interventionist and always wanted to go fight France in Europe, supposedly for the liberty and freedom of the continent, while the Tories were quite isolationist and preferred to keep the troops home in England.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 09:55:03 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2020, 11:06:58 AM by HenryWallaceVP »

Another one because I'm bored.

Scourge of God
Dominicanes
YaBB God

★★★★★

Re: Arrabbiati lead in new Signoria poll
« on August 18, 1496, 10:05:21 pm »
Junk poll, all of Savonarola's prophecies so far have come true, why would the voters turn on him now? Plus, populist message appeals to WWC Piagnoni voters, and social conservatism will boost anti-secular turnout in rural Tuscany.

Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »

S019
Suburban New Jersey Conservative
YaBB God
★★★★★

Re: Black People Are Coming to the Cities
« on: July 18, 1969 at 07:50:15 am »

The Black People are coming to the cities, they are hoarding the cities and ruining them, and they are bringing crime! I'm moving to Morristown, New Jersey where we can live away from the blacks. We should ban drugs and guns for black people to stop the crime and we should have a war on drugs.

[signature: VOTE SUBURBAN FOR COUNCILOR]

What the h*ck is this! Let’s be very clear I don’t believe that African American people bring crime to suburbs and I’d welcome a diversification of suburbs, just look at how much better places like Orange County than flyover country in Appalachia. Also let’s be very clear a lot of the types of shootings that I’m worried about (such as school shootings) are not done by people of the African American race. Lastly, African Americans are not the primary users of drugs, the only reason they were targeted during the War on Drugs was because of the systemic racism present in predominantly white police departments. This is why we need mandatory racial bias training for all officers and those who fail the training must be terminated immediately without compensation. But sure go on about how I’m some closeted racist, when in fact, I’m a minority and like other minorities, I have not been a beneficiary of our “white-privilege” dominated society.

How is Orange County "much better" than Appalachia? It's one of the historically most right-wing and racist places outside of the South and is full of rich people. Let's dispel with this fiction of a dichotomy of "tolerant, socially liberal" suburbanites and "racist hicks." We should never forget that the good people of West Virginia broke away from their wealthy masters in Richmond to stay loyal to the Union.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »

Mine eyes have
seen the glory
of the crushing
of the Pope

Better Turkish Than Papist
Atlas Institution

★★★★★

Do you feel sorry for Charles Stuart?
« on: January 27, 1649, 3:26:27 pm »