What would Atlas be like if it existed in the past? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:02:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What would Atlas be like if it existed in the past? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would Atlas be like if it existed in the past?  (Read 31719 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: January 21, 2021, 11:20:05 AM »
« edited: January 21, 2021, 11:35:22 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

Here go some display names if Talk Elections was a Spanish forum, at some unspecified point in the 1990s; including some quickly made fake Spanish avatars (I even had to make up a couple new colours!)

We are no longer free
BRTD
Atlas Institution

★★★★★

MR. JESUS GIL
olawakandi
Atlas Legend

★★★★★

Article 113 solutions
Nathan
Atlas Star

★★★★★

Popery at the Moncloa Palace
Battista Minola 1616

★★★★

Jose Marķa Aznar is my Prime Minister
John Dule
Atlas Star

★★★★

End of a success
KoopaDaQuick
YaBB God

★★★★★

And of course Tongue

Suburban Las Rozas Conservative
S019
YaBB God

★★★★★

I may do some others on request by the way
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 02:38:27 PM »

End of a success
KoopaDaQuick
YaBB God

★★★★★

as someone who is rarely notable and unique enough to be featured in these kinds of things, i'm super flattered Smiley

if i were to join a spanish political party, i'd probably join podemos or psoe, but being an indy has its perks, especially as i don't know much about non-british european politics Tongue

Come to think about it, depending on what point of the 90s I would be thinking about (especially if it was 1996), a username of "Koopadaquick" would be quite weird given Super Mario 64 wouldn't be released in Europe until 1997 Tongue (not to mention the N64 flopped hard in Europe, Europe for the most part went from Sega to PlayStation and Nintendo never really had that much success)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 04:34:09 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 04:48:45 PM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

End of a success
KoopaDaQuick
YaBB God

★★★★★

as someone who is rarely notable and unique enough to be featured in these kinds of things, i'm super flattered Smiley

if i were to join a spanish political party, i'd probably join podemos or psoe, but being an indy has its perks, especially as i don't know much about non-british european politics Tongue

Come to think about it, depending on what point of the 90s I would be thinking about (especially if it was 1996), a username of "Koopadaquick" would be quite weird given Super Mario 64 wouldn't be released in Europe until 1997 Tongue (not to mention the N64 flopped hard in Europe, Europe for the most part went from Sega to PlayStation and Nintendo never really had that much success)

Well that, and it's more likely that I'd call myself KoopaElRápido, assuming that I was a time traveller who got to play the N64 before it released. Maybe I'd name myself after a Super Nintendo character? Or perhaps a Genesis Mega Drive one? No sé. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually, most video games in the 80s and 90s were released in English only, including SM64 Tongue

Spanish language translations started being a thing in the late 90s. For example, the translation of Metal Gear Solid for example is recognized as great; while the Spanish version of Final Fantasy VII is broadly considered hilariously mistranslated one. For example routinely misgenders several main characters lol. (European) Spanish translations would not become the norm until the 2000s.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:49:08 PM »

Yeah that's fair. I assumed that was the case as PAL games featuring multiple languages wasn't a thing until the 64, and even still, I doubt most games even had it. I just went off of Koopa's Super Mario Wiki article, although I doubted it would be correct as (a) it doesn't specify Latin American vs. European Spanish, (b) it didn't specify if this was the name from the N64 version of SM64, the DS version, or the Switch version, and (c) I remember playing a PAL N64 game once and saw the language select screen, although I only saw English, French, and German, with Castilian nowhere to be found.

And yeah, translations of old Japanese Famicom games can be pretty hit or miss, even back in the 80s and 90s when official translations were the only ones you could feasibly get for the most part, and they were definitely not safe from errors, "Bimmy & Jimmy" and "all your base are belong to us" are two classic examples that I can think of off the top of my head.

Actually, after quickly tracking down a copy of SM64 I was able to confirm it was available in at least French and German. Not sure if there's an official Spanish version or not for the N64 though (there definitely is one for the DS version though)

And yeah there are tons of N64 games in Spanish as well, I know cause I played Paper Mario 64 a couple years ago in Spanish (officially). Generally if you bother to track down the EU/PAL version, you'll often get to see multiple languages
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 07:54:03 PM »

Also, on request, here is another one (albeit infinitely more boring)

PSOL
PSOL
YaBB God

★★★★★

For some reason I seem to be unable to get the lime green avatars right
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies