What would Atlas be like if it existed in the past? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:17:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What would Atlas be like if it existed in the past? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would Atlas be like if it existed in the past?  (Read 31570 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: December 04, 2019, 12:45:45 AM »

Quote from: 1865 BRTD
Poll: Would you ever visit a state that voted for McClellan?

Hell no. I'd be worried setting foot in a place full of traitors like that. Plus it might be dangerous, they might attack me upon learning I voted for Lincoln or support the Union! If I ever had to visit such a wretched place, I'd make sure to go through it quickly and would never feed my horse there.

Also I would never EVER buy a horse that was born while Buchanan was President.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 12:58:25 AM »

Imagine PredictIt contracts historically.

"Will Adolf Hitler be Chancellor of German on December 31, 1945?"
"Will Richard Nixon be impeached before July 31, 1974?"
"Will the United States declare war on Japan by December 31, 1941?"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 01:05:51 AM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:39:06 PM »

It'd be interesting to see the forum's breakdowns of opinions on William Jennings Bryan. I'd probably be a die-hard hack for him in all his runs.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 11:52:28 PM »

Me in 1928:

Quote from: Heebie Jeebies
Why on Earth does everyone assume I'm going to vote for Hoover? I've told you all a million times, I know Smith is one of those Papists, but I don't give a f[inks] as long as he opposes Prohibition and will give us our booze back. Then maybe we can get even more jazz clubs in Minneapolis if they can start serving alcohol again and I won't have to hunt down these underground speakeasy shows...maybe we'll even get some above ground burlesque clubs! Besides if Smith goes to DC he'll be much closer to the heart of the spirit filled movement and convert him to Christ and away from Romanism! I would love to have any spirit filled believers even in Congress...especially as our churches are mostly Lost Generation and not olds, but converting a Papist in the White House would be the height of our movement!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 01:57:14 AM »

John Brown would've been banned in 1859 for excessive personal attacks.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 12:36:35 AM »

I posted this once. An IRC convo circa 250:

IRC circa 250 AD:

<oakvale> hey bedstuy
<oakvale> So it looks like BRTD just joined a cult.
<bedstuy> Uh, what?
<bedstuy> Did he join one of those Germanic pagan cults?
<Gully> No, he joined some weirdo group that thinks the Jewish messiah has already come.
<BRTD> It's not a cult!
<bedstuy> Uh, what? BRTD I didn't think you were even Jewish.
<BRTD> I'm not.
<bedstuy> Then why do you believe in the Jewish messiah?
<BRTD> Because he's already come and died for all people.
<oakvale> Yeah so basically these people believe this guy who lived in Judea like over 200 years ago named Jesus was God.
<oakvale> He was some carpenter from Nazareth and said he was God and then got crucified.
<bedstuy> So, they believe God came to Earth as a man...and just as a carpenter? Not like a king or something?
<oakvale> I know right! Oh and get this:
<oakvale> They believe after he was crucified he was resurrected three days later.
<bedstuy> ROFL
<bedstuy> BRTD are you even circumcised?
<BRTD> No I'm not.
<BRTD> We don't practice the old ways anymore.
<BRTD> Jesus abolished that law.
<AlbertRosenfield> Hmmm
<AlbertRosenfield> You know BRTD
<AlbertRosenfield> you might want to be careful
<AlbertRosenfield> I recall an Emperor in the past wasn't too fond of your kind.
<BRTD> Oh Nero? That was like 170 years ago!
<AlbertRosenfield> Well yes.
<AlbertRosenfield> But I've heard
<AlbertRosenfield> some provincial governors
<AlbertRosenfield> aren't too please with your sect now.
<AlbertRosenfield> Some are encouraging people
<AlbertRosenfield> to hunt down and kill people in your group
<AlbertRosenfield> and they might even start
<AlbertRosenfield> feeding you to lions in the coliseum
<bedstuy> BRTD if that's the case how do you join this group? It's all based on Judaism but you don't follow anything from Judaism?
<BRTD> You get baptized instead.
<BRTD> So basically a couple days ago I went to this river.
<BRTD> And I got dunked under and brought up by this hot girl.
<oakvale> lol
<BRTD> Seriously, she was quite hot
<BRTD> I'd like to wash her feet sometime.
<oakvale> lmao
<oakvale> oh and get this too:
<oakvale> They believe in monogamy, like that a man can have only one wife.
<Gully> Wait, what? Haha!
<bedstuy> Whoa..
<oakvale> Not only that, but you can only pick one wife, and then you're stuck with her for life.
<oakvale> Can't divorce her or anything.
<Gully> LOL. This is going to work out so well for BRTD...
<AlbertRosenfield> So BRTD
<AlbertRosenfield> Does this mean
<AlbertRosenfield> that you won't be visiting
<AlbertRosenfield> the temple prostitutes anymore?
<BRTD> Dude, I haven't been to that temple in like over a year now.
<BRTD> OK there was one time a few months ago.
<BRTD> But that was ONLY because there's one there who was a personal friend of mine that I wanted to see.
<oakvale> lmao
<oakvale> so BRTD, I take it then that you only talked to her right? You didn't...."interact" with her?
<BRTD> Well I mean I came so far anyway....
<BRTD> But I was very nice and tipped her well
<BRTD> Also I let her dominate me. She's tough. She even bruised me in a spot.
<oakvale> ...
<Gully> WTF BRTD?
<Gully> You're a weird man.
<BRTD> What do you know Gully?
<BRTD> You once said that Iberian was a separate race on the Roman census!
<Gully> Ugh...
<Gully> BRTD, do you SERIOUSLY want me to bring up every ignorant and incorrect thing you've ever said about Hibernia?
<Gully> We'd be here for a long time...
<BRTD> All I know is Hibernia is some stupid epic fail island that's so dumb even the Romans aren't interested in it.
<oakvale> lol
<Gully> sigh....
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 09:07:44 AM »

I think it'd be interesting to see what maroon avatars would say about Israel in the 50s and early 60s. They'd be raving about how it's the best country on Earth/etc.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 01:08:25 PM »

@AdolfHitler
*deranged tweet about Jews*

*reply two minutes later*

@EdwardKrassenstein
It's time to call you what you are:

PALE MAN ADOLF HITLER
#PaleManAdolfHitler
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 04:01:09 PM »

Because it’s so much fun… Atlas 47 years ago:

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas icon
★★★★★

How can Ford appeal to Southern voters? Should he pick Wallace or Maddox for VP?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 1974, 01:15:21 pm »

Ford came from the ranks of the Michigan GOP with no mandate from voters. How does he appeal to Southerners now that he’s become president and  to voters of the former Confederacy in 1976? Should he nominate George Wallace or Lester Maddox for VP under 25th Amendment and keep them on ticket in 2 years? He could claim a unity government after Watergate is in the country’s best interest. Or should he pick a Nixonian VP like Rumsfeld? Without a doubt Nixon still has big support in the South. Dems must get realistic about that despite their gloating over his resignation. I’m not saying Nixon was right, but it’s a legitimate issue Dems have been dodging for decades.

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas icon
★★★★★

How can Ford appeal to Southern voters? Should he pick Wallace or Maddox for VP?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 1974, 01:29:13 pm »

What the f-ck?! Seriously, bronz, what drugs are you on? Ford is not going to pick a Democratic VP, let alone a goddamn Dixiecrat. Wallace’s White House ambitions are finished and Maddox is done after losing the gubernatorial primary this year. Democrats should work with Ford where possible and nominate Askew, Wendell Ford or even Carter in ’76. After 1976 long looked like a longshot, we're now well positioned after years of national embarrassment; Nixon the old crook destroyed his party for good.

MR. SPIROR AGNEW
olawakandi
Atlas legend
★★★★★

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 1974, 01:35:39 pm »

Nixon is disgraced prez and blue wave🌊🌊🌊 is building up for Nov, consequently Ford will be lame duck with SPEAKER ALBERT. VP is irrelevant anyways as Kissinger stays in cabinet as SoS and Natl Sec Advisor. Kissinger is Jewish and Wallace cant be trusted with minorities in govt. He wanted segregation like bronx, who’s creating same threads over and over again.

As Maddox was rejected in GA gov primary and Wallace is in wheelchair, both are DOA. There hasnt been wheelchair prez since FDR and never been wheelchair VP. It’s not 1933 anymore, television is all over the place now, which is why Johnson lost war in Vietnam. We have 100 days to election and Rs are losing generic ballot. It’s gonna be 320(115 D House and filibusterproof senate with PREZ MANSFIELD. 😁😎

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas instutution
★★★★★

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 1974, 02:11:49 pm »

Ford should not stand for election in 1976. He was a placeholder VP appointed because no other Republican could have been confirmed by a very hostile Democratic congress last year. Democrats, who failed beating Nixon 3 times (as JFK cheated), did this on purpose to have a weak incumbent in 1976. Nixon made some bad decisions over his time in office, but should absolutely not have stepped down and fight this media-driven witch hunt through. The public was always on his side before the media made a huge deal of the tapes in which used a few salty words. Vietnam is now in peril, Nixon would have honored the Paris Accords and protected the South. I have doubts Ford will be able to so with this congress. It’s truly a disgrace a highly respected and able president must step down for the minor offense of wiretapping, a common practice since the days of FDR. Was Truman forced to resign after Korea? Kennedy after the Bay of Pigs? Johnson for getting into countless lying over the war? The coastal establishment and media elites always hated Nixon for his many successes and because he won 49 states. History will prove him right.

If Republicans stick with Ford, I could see myself vote for Maddox or Wallace on a third party ticket. They won’t be VP under Ford, neither should they accept such an offer. They have far more public support than a former Michigan congressman who never won another race and repeatedly failed to become speaker.

Snow Labrador
Concerned citizen
★★★★★

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 1974, 02:30:10 pm »

Extra efforts to appeal to them are no longer necessary. After Nixon utterly humiliating us in the South, it’s gone for Democrats. We’ve become the party of liberal Boston elites. Ford meanwhile also appeals to Northerns and 1976 will be another landslide. Hear me out, Ford will win over 400 electoral votes and by double digits in the popular vote. Heck, Republicans can win congress in 1976. I doubt we even win additional seats in the upcoming midterms as Ford has a positive approval. Our majority will decrease if that keeps up. Americans liked Nixon’s policies overall. Now that he is gone because of a scandal nobody will care anymore in 3 weeks, voters will revert back to supporting Republicans and rally around the flag.

The Democratic Party is totally finished at the presidential level. We’d be very lucky to ever win the presidency again before 2000, perhaps even 2020. Not even Watergate can change this fact. That’s how screwed we are.

Nixon was
the hero
America needed,
but didn’t
deserve

Santander
Atlas legend
★★★★★

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 1974, 02:39:12 pm »

My king George Wallace in the White House as VP? I would orgasm. Then we just need a Second Amendment solution for Ford. I’d volunteer. God bless America.

President Johnson
Atlas institution
★★★★★

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 1974, 02:56:54 pm »

Bronz being bronz again… why do you keep creating such ridiculous threads? Come on! Neither of the Southern racists mentioned will be near the White House in our lifetimes. Forget about it. Nelson Rockefeller’s name has been floated for the position and he would make an excellent vice president. He’d also lock down New York for Ford given he handily won 4 elections in the Empire State. Anyway, I hope Rockefeller replaces Ford on the ticket in 1976, ideally switch positions (do you think this is possible?). He was the best governor in American history. Sorry, Democrats, I’d support him over any Democrat for president. He’s the true inheritor of Lyndon Johnson’s legacy (rest in peace, hero, I’m still so sad you left us last year).

Virginiá
Virginia C
ModAdmin
★★★★★

« on:Reply #8 August 13, 1974, 03:09:18 pm »

Please refrain from any violence calls for “Second Amendment solutions”. Further such posts will be deleted and the author receive a temp ban.

To the question, which I will answer seriously despite obvious trolling from the OP: Ford can appeal to some Southern voters by picking a moderate Southerner from Republican ranks, see John Tower or Howard Baker. The Democrats are well advised to stick with the CRA and VRA and abandon the Dixiecrats in 1976. They’ve been lost since Truman in ’48. We need to consolidate support in Northern states and a Michigander like Ford might be more for a formidable opponent than people think today. He has 2 years to build up a record and reputation. However, partisan winds in 1976 may be enough to elect a Democrat who may have to deal with a fallout from Vietnam and pave the way for a more extreme presidency later on. Keep watching Reagan, folks.

brucejoel99
Atlas instutution
★★★★★

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 1974, 03:11:08 pm »

bronz: So you’re suggesting to put a racist in the second highest office of the nation to appeal to racists? Got it.

Modern School Republican
Computer49
 Atlas legend
★★★★★

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 1974, 03:27:36 pm »

Wait you re suggesting Wallace or Maddox as VP . Lmao

If Ford wants Southern support, he needs to pick Reagan for VP and let him run for president in 1976. He was a co-runnerup in 1968 with Rockefeller , whom is too liberal for the party now. Days of the Dewey East Coast Establishment are over. Stagflation is proof liberals were wrong about economic policies. Reagan has reformed CA and created a national model to follow.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas legend
★★★★★

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 1974, 03:40:51 pm »

It doesn’t matter who throws the next bombs once the Vietcong starts another liberation offensive. The military industrial complex always wins.

MR. SPIROR AGNEW
olawakandi
Atlas legend
★★★★★

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 1974, 03:57:41 pm »

Vietnam became rice importing nation from rice exporting nation due to Agent Orange🍊🍊 and Operation Rolling Thunder. With incoming blue wave🌊 in Nov and aid reduction, Saigon collapse is inevitable. Nixxon was responsible for Christmas bombings in 72 whom Wallace supported and suggested nukes. Truman was last prez to use nukes and got stuck in Asian ground war. He became prez after serving as VEEP under wheelchair prez and consequently voters wont support Wallace.

As Ford isn’t Nixon confidante,   he can name JOHN CONALLY Veep whos from Sunbelt Stack. But last time he won TX he was a Dem and Tower is in vulnerable seat. He only won due to special election in 1961 when Johnson became Veep. 😁

JoeRepublic
Atlas legend
★★★★★

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 1974, 04:00:28 pm »

Honestly, I don’t understand why people are seriously responding to threads like this? It’s so obvious the OP is trolling once again, as he has been for years. Remember when he suggested to reinstate segregation to prevent any further assassinations in 1968? I sure do.

Gerald Ford’s vice presidential pick is far from his biggest problem at times like this. He will have to answer whether to pardon Nixon (which he shouldn’t). And either way, people will be unhappy. It’s a shame it’s come this far and we had a president resigning in disgrace after nearly 200 years of our history. It amazes me Fuzzy Bear is still defending this cr*p of a person. He’s not worth responding to.

Mine eyes
have seen
the glory of
the resigning
of the Nixon

BRTD
Atlas legend
★★★★★

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 1974, 05:51:26 pm »

LOL… who cares? Ford will be a caretaker and dropped as GOP candidate anyway, because he’s not hating poor people enough and not appealing to Wallace/Nixon voters. It’s now clearly Goldwater’s party and Nixon’s brand has zero credibility everywhere I’ve been this year. I have been fortunate enough never to live in a Nixon prescient. Just few posters can claim so.

MR. SPIROR AGNEW
olawakandi
Atlas legend
★★★★★

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 1974, 06:19:22 pm »

ROCKEFELLER nomination and Ford having 60 per cent approvals means BLUE WAVE is no longer secure as we don't have 100 days to election. Ford wont give pardon to Nixon and Laxalt is leading polls in NV. Harry Reid was low profile lt gov, consequently Ds need wave insurace in KY. Leahy can win VT and we have 55 D senate to pass Kennedy healthcare legislation and stimulus against Stagflation. But it's no longer guaranteed as Rockefeller is DEWEY GOPer and not Goldwater GOPer.

brucejoel, Wildman and Prez Johnson have insisted Ds gonna win 280 House. We need more polls but Ford is at 60 per cent approvals. Rs can keep Southern freiwall in 76 as Wallace hasnt endorsed Humphrey or Jackson 4 prez and Akswe said hes not gonna run. 😎😎

Fuzzy Bear would've been a red avatar then and probably a fairly hackish one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 07:30:11 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2022, 07:34:27 PM by September never stays this cold »

John Brown's body lies a-moldering in the grave

Atlas Prophet
BUTC

★★★★★

Opinion of this propaganda poster I found
« on: January 17, 1863 at 11:32:51 AM »

Haha this is so awesome, I just saw it in a saloon. "The Virgin Robert E. Lee vs. The Chad Ulysses S. Grant", it's definitely a Freedom Poster!

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 09:54:26 PM »

Mine eyes have
seen the glory
of the crushing
of the Pope

Better Turkish Than Papist
Atlas Institution

★★★★★

Do you feel sorry for Charles Stuart?
« on: January 27, 1649, 3:26:27 pm »

Hahahaha, Nope! F[inks] that guy.

"All Roundhead all the time! Woohoo!"

"Think freedom sucks? Hate the yeomen? Vote Tory!"

Also, he will never set foot in a shire that was a Cavalier stronghold.

A f[inks]ing Fifth Monarchist got elected to Bedford Town Council
« on: July 5, 1653, 4:18:53 pm »

Ugh I am SO F[INKS]ING PISSED right now.

It's an at-large seat too so that means THAT I WILL HAVE A FIFTH MONARCHIST REPRESENTING ME ON THE MUNICIPAL CORPORATION BOARD URGH F[INKS]

All Puritan, all
the time!

Better Turkish Than Papist
Atlas Institution

★★★★★

Why would I be a Puritan?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 01:45:50 PM »

In 1952-2000, there would be debates over whether or not the Southern Strategy is a thing.
You mean 1972-1980? It wasn't a thing prior to that date range and wasn't in debate at all after that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 10:47:29 PM »

In 1952-2000, there would be debates over whether or not the Southern Strategy is a thing.
You mean 1972-1980? It wasn't a thing prior to that date range and wasn't in debate at all after that.
I've seen arguments that it began in 1952.
I suppose Eisenhower winning Tennessee and Virginia is notable, but those are both states that had notable Republican presences prior in Unionist enclaves. And kind of tough to argue that as a "Southern Strategy" because Eisenhower was pro-desegregation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies