The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:40:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 164592 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: September 25, 2021, 08:58:41 PM »

This news is a couple of weeks old now, but didn’t get noted here at the time, so I’ll mention it now: Miami Mayor Francis Suarez (R) was asked about a run for president, and didn’t rule it out:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/571098-miami-mayor-on-possible-white-house-bid-i-think-people-are-thirsting-for-a?rl=1

Asked in an interview on “The Carlos Watson Show” set to air Wednesday whether he would run for president, Suarez said that the prospects of a White House bid have become “more possible” since the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic and the stature that big-city mayors have gained. 

“I’ll say this, the mayoral position – because of COVID, because of the 24-hour news cycle, because of social media – it’s been elevated,” Suarez told Watson, the co-founder and CEO of the media company OZY. 
Suarez, 42, also said there’s an appetite among Americans for a new generation of leadership in Washington. President Biden, 78, became the oldest person to be sworn into the White House in January, while his predecessor, former President Trump, was 70 when he took office, making him the second oldest. 

“I’ll be honest with you, I actually think the American people would want to see someone that’s a next-generation candidate, whether it’s me or someone else,” Suarez told Watson. “I really do think that people are thirsting for that.”

More recently, he made this comment:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/459582-miami-mayor-francis-suarez-2024-presidential-bid-not-a-crazy-conversation/

“The next President is a next-generation candidate,” he said. “The next President should be a pro-crypto, pro-Bitcoin candidate.”

Whether that ends up being him, he said, depends on a spectrum of factors, some of which are within his control.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1051 on: September 25, 2021, 11:15:41 PM »

Lindsey Graham in Michigan, tells a crowd that he "hopes Trump runs again"

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina told a crowd of Michigan Republicans on Saturday night that he hopes former President Donald Trump runs again in 2024.

The GOP senator's remark came on the second day of the Michigan Republican Party's leadership conference on Mackinac Island and three days after Trump sent out a statement criticizing Graham. His comment on Trump running again drew applause from the crowd of GOP insiders and activists.

"I don't think Trump is listening. He might be," Graham said. "I hope President Trump runs again."

I'm not sure why Graham would even bother to speak at a leadership conference in a battleground state...unless he's setting himself up as a candidate if Trump doesn't run.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1052 on: September 27, 2021, 01:25:08 PM »

Lindsey Graham in Michigan, tells a crowd that he "hopes Trump runs again"

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina told a crowd of Michigan Republicans on Saturday night that he hopes former President Donald Trump runs again in 2024.

The GOP senator's remark came on the second day of the Michigan Republican Party's leadership conference on Mackinac Island and three days after Trump sent out a statement criticizing Graham. His comment on Trump running again drew applause from the crowd of GOP insiders and activists.

"I don't think Trump is listening. He might be," Graham said. "I hope President Trump runs again."

I'm not sure why Graham would even bother to speak at a leadership conference in a battleground state...unless he's setting himself up as a candidate if Trump doesn't run.

When you put this way, it makes sense. In fact, the disgusting neocon, Graham, is very good pick for Trump - Graham is a quick thinker, a masterly orator and will ease pressure on Trump being erratic on FP? As for Graham himself, it might give him a "grip" over Trump's base. And Trump's old.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1053 on: September 28, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »

Liz Cheney will be headed to New Hampshire to headline an awards dinner on November 9

In a move that will spark speculation about her potential national ambitions, Republican Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming will headline an awards dinner later this autumn in New Hampshire, the state that for a century has held the first presidential primary in the race for the White House.

Cheney, one of the most well-known and vocal members of the small group of GOP lawmakers and leaders opposed to former President Trump, will be the featured speaker at the annual Nackey S. Loeb School’s First Amendment Honors program on Nov. 9. The former president and his allies have backed a primary challenger to Cheney when she’s up for reelection next year as Trump aims to oust Cheney from Congress.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1054 on: September 28, 2021, 09:15:01 AM »

Wow, big if true:

Jay Nixon is running 4 prez... Huh
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #1055 on: September 28, 2021, 12:22:39 PM »

gonna be funny to watch hogan get like 1.3% in iowa and refuse to drop out
Independents for George Santos
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #1056 on: September 28, 2021, 02:47:19 PM »

gonna be funny to watch hogan get like 1.3% in iowa and refuse to drop out

I wouldn't be concerned by that if I were him. Now, 1.3% in New Hampshire...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1057 on: September 28, 2021, 10:53:20 PM »

Hogan’s prep work:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/28/hogan-anti-trump-2024-514453

And next May, Hogan is set to speak at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum’s “Time for Choosing” series focused on the future of the Republican Party. The forum in Simi Valley, Calif., has drawn an array of would-be presidential candidates, including former Vice President Mike Pence, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

During Hogan’s travels, he has also set aside time to meet with donors, a ritual for those looking to build a national political apparatus.

Hogan told POLITICO he was currently focused on the 2022 midterms rather than the 2024 race. But, in an indication of his interest, Hogan said he saw an opening in the forthcoming primary for a Trump critic, and he added that he would not be dissuaded from running for president in the event Trump waged a comeback, a position some other prospective Republican candidates have been reluctant to take.

“If I decide that I want to run for president, it certainly wouldn’t stop me that he’s in the race, that’s for sure,” Hogan said.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1058 on: September 30, 2021, 09:02:24 AM »

DeSantis goes on Hannity, says he's too busy to be focusing on a Presidential run right now.

“I notice the media, no matter how many times you’ve answered the question about are you considering the run for the presidency in 2024 and you give the same answer, that they still keep asking you,” Hannity said before asking that very same question: “What’s your answer to those people that ask again and again?”

“Yeah, I’m not considering anything beyond doing my job, we got a lot of stuff going on in Florida,” DeSantis asserted, adding that he will be running for re-election as governor next year.

As for what he feels needs his attention in Florida, DeSantis immediately leaned into the culture war issues that have energized conservatives over the past year.

“We are also working on a lot of things in the state beyond the governor’s race, we got school board races,” he declared. “I want to make sure people are not supporting critical race theory!”

After saying he wants to make sure “parents have the ability to send their kids to school the way they want to,” seemingly referencing his court fights over local school mask mandates, DeSantis reiterated that he isn’t focusing his attention on 2024.

“There’s a lot of huge issues, that is way down the road, it’s not anything that I’m planning for,” he concluded.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1059 on: September 30, 2021, 07:01:01 PM »

DeSantis goes on Hannity, says he's too busy to be focusing on a Presidential run right now.

“I notice the media, no matter how many times you’ve answered the question about are you considering the run for the presidency in 2024 and you give the same answer, that they still keep asking you,” Hannity said before asking that very same question: “What’s your answer to those people that ask again and again?”

“Yeah, I’m not considering anything beyond doing my job, we got a lot of stuff going on in Florida,” DeSantis asserted, adding that he will be running for re-election as governor next year.

As for what he feels needs his attention in Florida, DeSantis immediately leaned into the culture war issues that have energized conservatives over the past year.

“We are also working on a lot of things in the state beyond the governor’s race, we got school board races,” he declared. “I want to make sure people are not supporting critical race theory!”

After saying he wants to make sure “parents have the ability to send their kids to school the way they want to,” seemingly referencing his court fights over local school mask mandates, DeSantis reiterated that he isn’t focusing his attention on 2024.

“There’s a lot of huge issues, that is way down the road, it’s not anything that I’m planning for,” he concluded.

Too busy neglecting his state's health and public safety.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1060 on: September 30, 2021, 07:30:29 PM »

Too busy neglecting his state's health and public safety.

No, actively sabotaging his state's health and public safety.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1061 on: September 30, 2021, 08:06:00 PM »

There is nothing newsworthy or significant about him making a statement like this. Any Governor who is eligible to run for re-election this year, in next year's election, or in 2023 would say the exact same thing about what their intentions are right now. Governors who are term limited and therefore cannot run for re-election between now and 2024 might be more candid that they are seriously looking at a presidential run, but not Governors who are in DeSantis's position.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1062 on: October 01, 2021, 11:08:14 AM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1063 on: October 03, 2021, 03:16:17 PM »

Pence was in Oregon last night, headlining the Washington County GOP Annual Reagan Day Dinner.

"Well hello, Oregon."

That was how former Vice President Mike Pence welcomed the crowd at the Washington County GOP Annual Reagan Day Dinner Saturday night. He was the keynote speaker for the event.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1064 on: October 03, 2021, 09:13:23 PM »

Trump says he’s confident of winning the nomination if he runs:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/03/trump-desantis-2024-beat-him-514975

In an interview with Yahoo Finance set to be published Monday, Trump said he believed that “most people would drop out” if he entered the race, including DeSantis, an ally of the former president who has been considered a potential candidate in the Republican presidential primary.

“If I faced him, I'd beat him like I would beat everyone else,” Trump said.
In the interview, Trump expressed confidence in his ability to easily clinch the nomination should he run, citing his support among the Republican base, but said he was not yet ready to commit to doing so.

“If I do run, I think that I’ll do extremely well,” he said, adding that he based his predictions on both polling and “enthusiasm” from voters.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1065 on: October 04, 2021, 07:41:33 AM »

Say what you want about Hogan, he knows who he is and he knows how he's going to campaign. The people that vote for Hogan is a very defined wing of the party that likely will have little other options. Contrast that to the 25 or so Republican wannabe candidates that will pander to Trump voters.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1066 on: October 04, 2021, 07:42:46 AM »

In an interview with Yahoo Finance set to be published Monday, Trump said he believed that “most people would drop out” if he entered the race, including DeSantis, an ally of the former president who has been considered a potential candidate in the Republican presidential primary.

In the interview, Trump expressed confidence in his ability to easily clinch the nomination should he run, citing his support among the Republican base, but said he was not yet ready to commit to doing so.

“If I do run, I think that I’ll do extremely well,” he said, adding that he based his predictions on both polling and “enthusiasm” from voters.

I mean, his take is probably not untrue...

I don't expect Trump to say will he or won't he until he starts hitting primary ballot access deadlines, which is when, Q4 2023? This is going to paralyze everyone else as far as fundraising unless you're a Larry Hogan that would run anyway.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1067 on: October 04, 2021, 10:58:53 AM »

I mean, his take is probably not untrue...

I don't expect Trump to say will he or won't he until he starts hitting primary ballot access deadlines, which is when, Q4 2023? This is going to paralyze everyone else as far as fundraising unless you're a Larry Hogan that would run anyway.

If I were Biden, I'd be thrilled by this. 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1068 on: October 04, 2021, 04:12:39 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1069 on: October 04, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »

WaPo says Trump considered announcing a 2024 presidential run in August, during the Afghanistan withdrawal, but was talked out of it by advisers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-2024-campaign-candidacy/2021/10/03/73af3b12-21f8-11ec-b3d6-8cdebe60d3e2_story.html

They responded by urging patience, according to three people familiar with the discussions, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. An announcement would force a reshuffling of his newly formed fundraising apparatus, advisers argued, and could complicate his ability to appear on broadcast television without triggering equal time rules.

Some of his advisers were concerned that Democrats might use his announcement in their effort to frame the midterm elections around his candidacy, potentially boosting their own turnout and hampering his plans if Republicans fall short next year. Advisers also argued that he could be more effective electing like-minded Republicans next year if he was not an official candidate himself.

“The biggest point we drove home was that he doesn’t want to own the midterms if we don’t win back the House or Senate,” said one person familiar with the conversations.
An informal poll of 13 of his current and former advisers in recent days indicated that 10 believed he would run, two said it was a public relations ploy, and another said he was not sure.
“I’m running,” he says to people constantly, according to two advisers. He has also made clear to advisers that he wants no changes to the nomination calendar in 2024, leaving Iowa, where he came in second in 2016, as the first-in-the-nation caucus for Republicans even if Democrats decide to go a different route.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #1070 on: October 04, 2021, 08:04:13 PM »

MAGA was actually a decent slogan.  This just sounds dumb.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1071 on: October 04, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »

is Afghanistan really a big deal? seems like very few people actually care about this
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1072 on: October 05, 2021, 05:12:21 AM »

Hedge Fund Manager Ken Griffin, who is a high profile GOP Megadonor, says he won't back a Trump run in 2024.

A top Republican donor said on Monday that he won’t back Trump in 2024 if the former president decides to mount another bid for the White House.

In a discussion at the Economic Club of Chicago, hedge fund manager Ken Griffin tore into Trump as “pointlessly divisive,” according to comments reported by Bloomberg. He said that it was time for the country to move past the former president.

“I think it’s time for America to move on,” Griffin told Bloomberg TV’s Erik Schatzker.

Griffin has a long history of funding conservative candidates and causes. He spent more than $60 million to boost Republicans in the 2020 elections, though he did not give directly to Trump.

beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #1073 on: October 05, 2021, 09:31:26 AM »

I keep seeing articles like this, but after Trump 2016 I don't put much faith into statements like that.  If Trump is the nominee I guarantee most of them will line up behind him.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1074 on: October 05, 2021, 11:34:35 AM »

I keep seeing articles like this, but after Trump 2016 I don't put much faith into statements like that.  If Trump is the nominee I guarantee most of them will line up behind him.

Most of them might, but that doesn't really negate whether or not Ken Griffin will. As far as I know, though, the people that said they'd stop donating to the insurrectionist types actually have stopped donating. Someone correct me if wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies