The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:53:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165108 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: April 07, 2021, 08:51:33 PM »

Several 2024ers will be at this event:

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #701 on: April 08, 2021, 06:49:49 AM »

Ron DeSantis is stealing Trump's mannerisms and speaking patterns. He's running.

Wow, that's uncanny. It's not very hard to do a Trump impression, but it takes a lot of work to do one this good.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #702 on: April 09, 2021, 08:43:26 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-capitol-siege-coronavirus-pandemic-elections-3d9480c897abcc9ae6a2388cf27b29ce
Hagerty said he met with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida this week. They even talked about the decision Trump is facing over whether to run again in 2024 — Hagerty said Trump is focused on the 2022 elections and hasn’t yet decided whether to run.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #703 on: April 09, 2021, 08:47:01 AM »

Several 2024ers will be at this event:

Tom Emmer 2024!
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #704 on: April 09, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-capitol-siege-coronavirus-pandemic-elections-3d9480c897abcc9ae6a2388cf27b29ce
Hagerty said he met with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida this week. They even talked about the decision Trump is facing over whether to run again in 2024 — Hagerty said Trump is focused on the 2022 elections and hasn’t yet decided whether to run.

low key hagerty would make for a good running mate for just about any nominee
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #705 on: April 09, 2021, 08:24:54 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2021, 08:28:51 PM by Roll Roons »

low key hagerty would make for a good running mate for just about any nominee

He brings nothing new to the table. He's a fairly generic middle-aged white guy from a very safe state. I know a lot of the same applies to Pence, but at least he helped shore up Trump's standing with Evangelicals. Presumably the 2024 nominee won't have Trump's initial issues with them.

Whoever the GOP ticket ends up being, my guess is that it won't be two white men.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #706 on: April 10, 2021, 01:14:21 PM »

Ernst:

https://www.thegazette.com/federal-government/joni-ernst-says-zero-chance-she-will-run-for-president-in-2024/

During a stop in Bettendorf, Ernst said there was "zero" chance she would seek the Republican presidential nomination.

Meanwhile, Pompeo’s been hired by Fox News:

https://www.rawstory.com/fox-news-mike-pompeo/

Fox News has just hired yet another Trump administration official, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, as a paid, on-air contributor. Fox News recently also hired former Trump White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany and former Trump National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow. The conservative cable channel also recently hired Trump campaign official Lara Trump, the former president's daughter-in-law.

"Pompeo will make his first appearance on Fox & Friends on Friday, the network said," Deadline reports. "He'll contribute across all Fox News Media platforms."
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #707 on: April 11, 2021, 03:04:43 PM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #708 on: April 12, 2021, 09:17:09 AM »

Notably, Trump allowed DeSantis to share the stage with him. While Trump used his speech to share with donors that he was “disappointed” in Pence, he has privately told advisers that if he runs again, he wants DeSantis as his running mate.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/04/11/gop-donors-privately-pan-trumps-horrible-rnc-speech-492435
boltzy_
Rookie
United States

« Reply #709 on: April 12, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »

As of now, the only Republicans that have an over 5-10% chance of getting the nomination are Trump and DeSantis. I've been thinking about who would be a good running mate for them. If Trump is the nominee, I personally wish he not pick DeSantis because he would be too useful in Florida. This might be a bit of an unpopular opinion but I think Ben Carson would be a safe pick for Trump. He has been very loyal to Trump, stays out of controversy, and has a lot of appeal to the Religious Right and would get voters fired up over abortion. Any other ideas I have would be me injecting too much of my own beliefs.

DeSantis being the nominee opens up many more opportunities for running mate but right now I can't think of many people he would seriously entertain. Personally, I think the best choice would be a good representative from a safe Republican area like Paul Gosar.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #710 on: April 12, 2021, 11:59:40 AM »

As of now, the only Republicans that have an over 5-10% chance of getting the nomination are Trump and DeSantis. I've been thinking about who would be a good running mate for them. If Trump is the nominee, I personally wish he not pick DeSantis because he would be too useful in Florida. This might be a bit of an unpopular opinion but I think Ben Carson would be a safe pick for Trump. He has been very loyal to Trump, stays out of controversy, and has a lot of appeal to the Religious Right and would get voters fired up over abortion. Any other ideas I have would be me injecting too much of my own beliefs.

DeSantis being the nominee opens up many more opportunities for running mate but right now I can't think of many people he would seriously entertain. Personally, I think the best choice would be a good representative from a safe Republican area like Paul Gosar.

You're joking, right?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #711 on: April 12, 2021, 12:02:40 PM »

The white nationalist (or white nationalist sympathizer) who traffics amongst far right extremists, including militias, Alex Jones, and Nick Fuentes? Yeah, that's about on brand for the GOP. If only he was more open in his embrace of QAnon then he'd be perfect.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #712 on: April 12, 2021, 01:34:14 PM »

Lol, that's a ticket for Biden to win 350+ EVs
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #713 on: April 13, 2021, 06:16:36 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-orangeburg-south-carolina-united-nations-nikki-haley-fda929b5d69ab0a91b97edc62207bcfb

Former U.N. Ambassador and South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, often mentioned as a possible 2024 GOP presidential contender, said Monday that she would not seek her party’s nomination if former President Donald Trump opts to run a second time.

“Yes,” Haley said, when asked if she would support a second bid by Trump, in whose Cabinet she served for the first half of his administration.

“I would not run if President Trump ran, and I would talk to him about it,” Haley said, asked by The Associated Press if a possible Trump bid could preclude her own effort, were he to announce first. “That’s something that we’ll have a conversation about at some point, if that decision is something that has to be made.”

Haley spoke Monday after touring the campus of South Carolina State University, an HBCU in Orangeburg where current President James E. Clark showed her campus improvements including a revamped student center and state-of-the-art cancer research and cybersecurity facilities.

The visit was one of Haley’s first public events in months in her home state.

Since her 2016 resignation as South Carolina governor to join Trump’s Cabinet, Haley has maintained a delicate balancing act among Republicans who have in some ways been sharply split on the now-former president. In two years at the United Nations, Haley treaded a path of speaking out against Trump while not directly drawing his ire. She left the office on her own terms in 2018, a rarity then during a wave of staffing turmoil.

Haley has made several moves in recent years to fuel speculation her sights are on higher office. In 2019, she and her family moved back to South Carolina, purchasing a home in the Kiawah Island community. She also launched a political action committee, published a memoir and commanded as much as $200,000 for speaking appearances.
On Monday, Haley defended her former boss, who this past weekend lit into fellow Republicans including his own vice president, saying he was “disappointed” in Mike Pence and calling Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell a “stone-cold loser.”

“I think former President Trump’s always been opinionated,” Haley said, asked about Trump’s weekend comments and if they hurt the GOP. “Just because he left being president, that’s not going to stop. But I think what he also talked about were all the successes that he had in the administration. And I think that’s what Republicans are uniting on. ... Every day Biden and Kamala Harris are in office unites the Republicans.”
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #714 on: April 13, 2021, 07:26:18 AM »

On the issue of running mates I always believe that someone being considered should be a credible candidate for President (candidate in the sense of candidate for a job, not political candidate or someone electorally successful). I struggle to see how Paul Gosar would either be a credible candidate or be electorally useful. In my view, representatives don't really tend to make good running mates as they aren't really the best option when considering either Presidential viability or electoral benefit.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #715 on: April 14, 2021, 01:48:28 AM »

Notably, Trump allowed DeSantis to share the stage with him. While Trump used his speech to share with donors that he was “disappointed” in Pence, he has privately told advisers that if he runs again, he wants DeSantis as his running mate.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/04/11/gop-donors-privately-pan-trumps-horrible-rnc-speech-492435
Lol a Trump (R-FL)/DeSantis (R-FL) ticket would mean that Florida’s electoral votes would be unavailable to Trump even if he wins the state. He would have to move back to New York...
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #716 on: April 15, 2021, 09:03:12 PM »

Lol a Trump (R-FL)/DeSantis (R-FL) ticket would mean that Florida’s electoral votes would be unavailable to Trump even if he wins the state. He would have to move back to New York...
Trump could just change his state of residency again Bush-Style.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #717 on: April 16, 2021, 03:17:27 PM »

I don't believe Trump will run again (but certainly I hope so) nor that he chooses DeSantis if he runs.

But I do believe that DeSantis will run. In that case the fact, that Trump likes him, is very important, I think.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #718 on: April 17, 2021, 05:08:51 PM »

Tim Scott was in Iowa on Thursday, and dodged the question about whether he would run for president:

https://qctimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/potential-2024-presidential-hopeful-tim-scott-talks-racism-police-reform-in-davenport/article_79aa9824-dfe5-5989-aeab-5441bb3c94fd.html

Scott on Thursday said he is focused on his reelection next year.

"(A)ny conversation that goes beyond, frankly, my primary in June is irrelevant," Scott said.

Pompeo says he’s not ruling out a run for president and also won’t rule out running even if Trump runs as well:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/mike-pompeo-doesnt-rule-out-2024-white-house-bid-even-if-trump-runs

During an interview with Fox Business' "WSJ at Large," host Gerard Baker asked Pompeo, "Are you seriously pondering a run in 2024 for the Republican nomination?"

"Just like every day, I'm going to go work for the set of policies that I've been working on all my life, including these last four years as CIA director and then secretary of state," Pompeo replied.
Pompeo went on to say, "What happens electorally in '22 matters an awful lot. I'm going to go work to help good conservative candidates be elected, and then we'll consider whether 2024 is an opportunity for me to go back to elected office or not. I love the fight, Gerry."

Baker then asked, "If President Trump runs again — and all indications are that he may — would you run against him?"

"That's a long way off," Pompeo responded, "I don't think any of us have figured out what we're doing 2024." But the former secretary of state left the possibility open, adding, "We'll make make those decisions another time."

And finally, this Politico story says that DeSantis’s “agressive courtship” of national donors bears similarities to Bush’s strategy in 1998:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/16/desantis-trump-gop-donors-481891

But DeSantis’ aggressive courtship of national givers bears striking similarities to the approach then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush used in his 1998 reelection race, which preceded his presidential bid two years later. Bush spent the 1998 campaign traveling the country and introducing himself to the Republican Party’s biggest donors, many of whom contributed to his reelection effort and later became key to his 2000 national campaign.

As he embarks on his fundraising blitz, DeSantis has begun building a team with national experience. He has tapped veteran Republican strategist Phil Cox to help oversee his 2022 campaign. Cox, who has developed deep ties to the donor class through his past leadership of the Republican Governors Association, accompanied the governor to last week’s retreats.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #719 on: April 18, 2021, 12:47:59 PM »

Please clap!
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2021, 01:55:31 PM »

Please clap!

It’s not like he has anything to lose, he can’t get more humiliated and even if there’s only a 1% chance of any success that’s better than just accepting the ruin of his families legacy.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2021, 08:34:50 PM »

Harris will be visiting NH later this week:

https://www.wmur.com/article/vp-kamala-harris-planning-to-visit-nh-on-friday/36155970

Vice President Kamala Harris is planning to visit New Hampshire in person later this week, with one or more stops in the Laconia-Plymouth area likely, several sources confirmed to WMUR on Sunday.

For Harris, it would be her first visit to the Granite State since September 2019, when she appeared as a presidential candidate to address the New Hampshire Democratic Party state convention at the SNHU arena in Manchester – along with other candidates who were seeking the presidential nomination.

The precise locations and events featuring the vice president on Friday have yet to be finalized and announced.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #722 on: April 19, 2021, 08:39:34 AM »

Biden is a 2T Prez and Trump won't come near the Prez ever due to his role in Insurrectionists, neither Cruz or Hawley, either

If Trump or Cruz ever get nomination they would lose to Biden in a landslide, Rs are 0/3 against Biden as Veep and as Prez
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #723 on: April 20, 2021, 10:21:47 AM »

Please clap!

It’s not like he has anything to lose, he can’t get more humiliated and even if there’s only a 1% chance of any success that’s better than just accepting the ruin of his families legacy.

Could be a Rick Perry 2016 run where he doesn't actually have a chance to win but wants the chance to die with dignity instead of being remembered for a humiliating earlier run.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #724 on: April 20, 2021, 10:30:01 AM »

Please clap!

Could be a Rick Perry 2016 run where he doesn't actually have a chance to win but wants the chance to die with dignity instead of being remembered for a humiliating earlier run.
Jeb for secretary of Guac in the DeSantis administration?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies