The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:51:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 162685 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2020, 11:00:41 AM »

That sounds like they may take the SCOTUS nomination in case of Trump's reelection. Not just because he's unlikely to get another opening at the court before the 2020 election, but also because declining the offer for a 2024 run 4 prez is likely not worth it. Hawley and Cruz are smart enough to figure out how unlikely a GOPer is to be will be elected prez after 2 terms of Trump, assuming they even make it to the GOP nomination.

But Hawley's the one who says he's not interested.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2020, 10:23:19 PM »

Pence claims (presumably untruthfully) that he hasn’t thought past the 2020 election yet, so doesn’t know if he’ll run in 2024:

https://dailycaller.com/2020/09/10/mike-pence-2024-president-donald-trump/

“I haven’t given any thought to anything beyond the election in 2020 because I think this election is so important to the life of the nation. I think this could well be one of the most important elections in the long and storied history of the United States, because we’re really deciding what path we will take,” Pence said.

“By winning in 2020, we have an opportunity to continue to take our nation on the path that President Trump set us on in 2016, so all of my energies, all of my focus is dedicated to that prospect, and we’ll let the future take care of itself,” he added.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2020, 10:57:25 PM »

“By winning in 2020, we have an opportunity to continue to take our nation on the path that President Trump set us on in 2016, so all of my energies, all of my focus is dedicated to that prospect, and we’ll let the future take care of itself,” he added.

all of my focus is dedicated to that prospect

focus

focus
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2020, 11:07:24 PM »

all of my focus is dedicated to that prospect

focus

focus

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2020, 07:18:29 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/terry-branstad-us-ambassador-china-resigns/

U.S. Ambassador to China Terry Branstad is stepping down amid increasingly strained ties between the world's two biggest economies, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Monday on Twitter. Thanking Branstad for his service, Pompeo said in a tweet that he had "contributed to rebalancing U.S.-China relations so that it is results-oriented, reciprocal, and fair."

The reasons for the ambassador's departure, which the U.S. Embassy later confirmed in a statement, were not immediately clear.

There was no immediate indication from Pompeo or the U.S. embassy as to who President Trump might nominate to replace Branstad, or what the GOP veteran's next step might be. 

Just a note to point out that the last Republican Governor to serve as Ambassador to China (Jon Huntsman) ended up running for President in the next election after his resignation.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »

Nina Turner says she's "thinking about" 2024.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqH4XWy3Nko
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2020, 09:26:34 PM »

The only way she gets any traction at all is if Biden/Harris is the only other candidate running, and even then, that's unlikely (especially against Harris).
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2020, 09:28:10 PM »

The only way she gets any traction at all is if Biden/Harris is the only other candidate running, and even then, that's unlikely (especially against Harris).

Sadly.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2020, 11:19:05 PM »

She's a clown and would get 0% in Iowa and New Hampshire combined.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2020, 11:33:00 PM »

Cruz now says he’s not interested in a Supreme Court appointment:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/14/ted-cruz-says-he-doesnt-want-to-be-on-the-supreme-court/

Sen. Ted Cruz walked back any expression of interest in being on the Supreme Court after being included on President Trump’s shortlist to be nominated to the nation’s highest bench.

Speaking to Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures,” Cruz (R-Tx.) was blunt when asked by host Maria Bartiromo if he would want to the job.

“You know, I don’t. It is deeply honoring, it’s humbling to be included in the list. I’m grateful that the president has that confidence in me. But it’s not the desire of my heart,” the Texas Republican said.
“I want to be in the political fight. I want to be fighting to nominate and confirm three, four, five principled, constitutionalist justices. But that’s not where I want to serve. I want to stay fighting right where I am in the US Senate,” the Texas senator said.

So of the three Senators who Trump has floated as potential SCOTUS nominees (in the event that Trump has a chance to fill another vacancy), only Cotton has sounded interested.  Cruz and Hawley have both suggested they’re not interested.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2020, 06:41:15 AM »

Politico DeSantis profile's juiciest part is that if Trump loses FL and blames him, Trump might tweet or campaign against himm maybe even endorse a primary opponent.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2020, 11:31:28 AM »

Pompeo hints that, even if Trump wins reelection, he might not stick around as SoS for a second term:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-pompeo/pompeo-expects-conversation-on-whats-next-for-him-if-trump-wins-idUSKBN2662C5

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday he expected to have a conversation about what role he may play if President Donald Trump wins a second term, saying “there is still a lot of work to do and I would love to find a way to be a part of that.”

It was unclear from Pompeo’s comment, made in response to a multi-part question during a virtual think tank appearance, whether he was suggesting a willingness to continue as U.S. secretary of state or in some other role.

An evangelical Christian, Pompeo is suspected of harboring presidential ambitions, possibly as early as the 2024 election. He became secretary of state in April 2018 after serving as Trump’s CIA director.

He also suggested that he never really gave very serious consideration to running for Senate this year:

“I love Kansas. My wife and I miss it dearly. That was the attractive piece of considering the race but we never, frankly, considered running very actively,” he said.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/is-it-even-possible-for-meghan-markle-to-become-the-u-s-president.html/

Completely bizarre showbiz article speculating on Meghan Markle running. I thought she gave up her U.S citizenship when she married into the British Royal Family...but I guess not?

She is political enough, living in the U.S again, and old enough...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2020, 10:00:16 PM »

Rubio asked about his future after his current term in the Senate ends:

https://floridianpress.com/2020/09/rubio-may-have-signaled-a-future-run-for-president/

Rubio’s “I hope to have the opportunity to continue doing it (public service) in some form or fashion down the road” remark appears to have left the door open for either another run for Senate or a more probable run for President.

“I enjoy very much being in public office because I wake up every morning, I can see something in the world that I think needs to be addressed, and I’m in a place where I can actually try to do something about it. I’ve enjoyed doing that a lot, and I hope to have the opportunity to continue doing it in some form or fashion down the road.” 

Rubio has told close friends and supporters that running for president is not off the table looking down the road,  but that running for re-election to the Senate would be a little bit of a stretch.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2020, 10:12:10 PM »

https://floridianpress.com/2020/09/rubio-may-have-signaled-a-future-run-for-president/

Rubio’s “I hope to have the opportunity to continue doing it (public service) in some form or fashion down the road” remark appears to have left the door open for either another run for Senate or a more probable run for President.

“I enjoy very much being in public office because I wake up every morning, I can see something in the world that I think needs to be addressed, and I’m in a place where I can actually try to do something about it. I’ve enjoyed doing that a lot, and I hope to have the opportunity to continue doing it in some form or fashion down the road.” 

Rubio has told close friends and supporters that running for president is not off the table looking down the road,  but that running for re-election to the Senate would be a little bit of a stretch.

Rubio would be in a better position to run as a sitting Senator than a former one. Plus in a Biden midterm, he'd be strongly favored to hold his seat so it's not like that would be a concern.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2020, 12:39:07 PM »

Rubio would be in a better position to run as a sitting Senator than a former one. Plus in a Biden midterm, he'd be strongly favored to hold his seat so it's not like that would be a concern.
Disagree. He's going to be weak in 2022, especially if Trump is reelected. The smart thing to do from his perspective is to retire and spend all of 2023 campaigning.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »

What a delusional idiot
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #217 on: September 17, 2020, 03:48:29 PM »

If Biden wins I predict 2 of the Dems to challenge harris in the primary will be Nina Turner and Tulsi Gabbard

Harris would win with 90+% of the vote.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »

If Biden wins I predict 2 of the Dems to challenge harris in the primary will be Nina Turner and Tulsi Gabbard

Obviously. These would probably be exercises in grift from the outset.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2020, 04:12:40 PM »

No. Obama didn’t even win 90% of the vote in the 2012 primary. Harris would win in a landslide but more than 90% is ridiculous
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2020, 04:16:36 PM »

I dont think they would be the only Dems to challenge Harris. Harris would probably have one semi serious Challenger from the Left and one from the right. Max Rose could be the one on the right but I doubt hes dumb enough to think he has a chance in national primary at the moment but if Harris is unpopular a semi serious challenge could amount akin to Sanders 2016 but this all of course depends on how the Biden administration goes.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2020, 05:49:21 PM »

I dont think they would be the only Dems to challenge Harris. Harris would probably have one semi serious Challenger from the Left and one from the right. Max Rose could be the one on the right but I doubt hes dumb enough to think he has a chance in national primary at the moment but if Harris is unpopular a semi serious challenge could amount akin to Sanders 2016 but this all of course depends on how the Biden administration goes.

Moderates tend to be more establishment so I'm not convinced Harris would get a serious challenge from the right as a pseudo-incumbent
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2020, 09:10:30 PM »

Moderates? Challenging Harris??
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2020, 09:42:51 PM »

John Bel Edwards maybe?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2020, 11:13:14 PM »

Kristi Noem will be speaking at a GOP fundraiser in New Hampshire on Oct. 15th:

https://www.wmur.com/article/republican-rising-star-south-dakota-gov-kristi-noem-plans-october-visit-to-nh/34015643#

That story also notes something I missed: That back in July, Noem gave what looks to me like a non-denial about 2024:

https://apnews.com/68781b3760b1260fb17efee86a867dc6

“I spent eight years in Washington, D.C.,” Noem said, referring to her tenure as a congresswoman. “I am so happy to be home in South Dakota.”

The headline of that story is “Noem says she is not interested in 2024 presidential run.  But if the above is all she said in response to a 2024 question, then that hardly seems like an “I’m not interested” statement.  It sounds like evading the question.  In any case, she just visited Iowa and is now visiting New Hampshire, so her intentions seem pretty clear.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies