The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:35:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 164883 times)
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: July 02, 2021, 09:21:00 PM »

Miles Taylor, anonymous author of "A Warning", IN, if Trump wins the GOP nomination.

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/miles-anonymous-taylor-pledges-to-run-against-trump-in-2024-this-is-not-a-joke/
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #901 on: July 02, 2021, 11:51:05 PM »

Trump says he’s made a decision about 2024, but won’t reveal what it is (though his followup comments hint that he’s running):

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-tells-sean-hannity-hes-made-his-mind-about-running-2024-election-1605833

Trump made his comment during a Fox News town hall that Hannity hosted on Wednesday night.

"I have to ask, where are you in the process of," Hannity began before finally asking, "Without giving the answer what the answer is, have you made up your mind?"

"Yes," Trump responded.

"It's not that I want to," Trump later clarified. "The country needs it. We have to take care of this country. It isn't fun, fighting constantly, fighting always."

Here’s the relevant segment:

I'd be suprised if he's actually made a decision. Trump is not the type to plan things in advance.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #902 on: July 03, 2021, 04:52:28 PM »

Trump says he’s made a decision about 2024, but won’t reveal what it is (though his followup comments hint that he’s running):

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-tells-sean-hannity-hes-made-his-mind-about-running-2024-election-1605833

Trump made his comment during a Fox News town hall that Hannity hosted on Wednesday night.

"I have to ask, where are you in the process of," Hannity began before finally asking, "Without giving the answer what the answer is, have you made up your mind?"

"Yes," Trump responded.

"It's not that I want to," Trump later clarified. "The country needs it. We have to take care of this country. It isn't fun, fighting constantly, fighting always."

I'd be suprised if he's actually made a decision. Trump is not the type to plan things in advance.

Agreed. I think it's likely he ends up running, but his decision will be made on impulse possibly at the last minute, because that's how everything is with him. The best will be if he does so after other potential candidates already announce and then see their ambitions implode right before their eyes.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #903 on: July 04, 2021, 03:11:19 PM »

"Yes," Trump responded.

Translation: Trump hasn't made up his mind yet
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #904 on: July 05, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »

Asa Hutchinson dodges the question on his 2024 plans:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jul/4/asa-hutchinson-refuses-rule-out-2024-gop-president/

Mr. Hutchinson, who is term-limited as Arkansas’ governor, was asked about his interest in a White House run during an appearance on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“I am concentrating on the present, which is getting through this pandemic, supporting Arkansas through my term,” Mr. Hutchinson said. “I want to be engaged for a national debate. It is important for the direction of our party and our country.”

“That is my immediate concentration,” he added. “We’ll see what the future holds.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #905 on: July 06, 2021, 09:25:11 PM »

Pompeo headed to South Carolina at the end of this month:

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/mike-pompeo-to-speak-at-annual-sc-gop-fundraising-gala-amid-2024-speculation/article_9e45a47e-de5a-11eb-a2de-739dfbc98da2.html

Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will be the keynote speaker at the South Carolina Republican Party’s annual Silver Elephant fundraising gala, marking another appearance in an early-voting presidential primary state that may prompt more speculation about his political future.

In a statement announcing the July 30 dinner, S.C. GOP chairman Drew McKissick said Pompeo “is an excellent champion for our conservative cause, and has proven that here at home and on the world stage.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #906 on: July 10, 2021, 01:03:48 PM »

Trump Jr.:

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-jr-2024-cpac-1608538

Donald Trump Jr. said he has not "personally thought" about running for president in 2024 when asked about the prospect during an interview at CPAC.

"I haven't personally thought about it, I mean there's some people talking about it in terms of polls—I've seen a bunch that has me pretty high up the list if not at the top of it. Who knows," he said when asked by Fox News' Paul Steinhauser at the event in Dallas, Texas.

"The reality with that job is you also have to want to do the day job, right. It's not just about the campaigning. I love being in that fight. I love fighting for the things that are out there, that I believe in as a conservative. I will do that irrespective. To want to actually get in that mix, that's a whole different story."

On 2022, he also said he would be "very involved" in campaigning.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #907 on: July 11, 2021, 01:36:02 PM »

There's a summer meeting of CPAC happening now, smaller in scale than the winter meeting, but Noem spoke earlier today, and Rick Scott is about to speak imminently, while Trump is speaking later.

Sounds like there will in fact be a straw poll from that meeting released later today:

https://texasnewstoday.com/trumps-speech-cpac-vote-and-2024-republican-presidential-election-in-the-limelight-on-sunday/356470/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #908 on: July 13, 2021, 10:46:21 PM »

Pompeo dodges again on 2024:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/562598-pompeo-on-2024-run-i-want-to-continue-to-have-an-impact?rl=1

“It’s literally the case that only the Lord knows what’s gonna happen,” Pompeo said on "The Carlos Watson Show" in an interview airing this fall when asked about any plans for the 2024 race.

"I’m working hard to be impactful the same way I talked about thinking about running for Congress. I want to continue to have an impact on the things that I care about, both here and abroad," he added to Watson, co-founder and CEO of OZY.
EugeneDebs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -4.87

« Reply #909 on: July 15, 2021, 12:26:59 AM »

Anybody think Hawley's a likely contender for 2024? I think he's one of the only candidates who would be at all competitive against Trump in a primary.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #910 on: July 15, 2021, 06:36:13 AM »

Anybody think Hawley's a likely contender for 2024? I think he's one of the only candidates who would be at all competitive against Trump in a primary.

Not only would he not run against Trump, he's polling at like...1% in polls without Trump included.
EugeneDebs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #911 on: July 15, 2021, 02:55:45 PM »

Not only would he not run against Trump, he's polling at like...1% in polls without Trump included.

I could definitely see him running against Trump; Hawley's brand is pretty unique in the GOP right now. Someone like DeSantis, who's very derivative of Trump, probably won't run against him. But Hawley is positioning himself as a new breed of Republican. Given this, I could easily see him running against Trump.

When it comes to polling, we're a long way from the primary. Voters are tuned out, and I'd say Hawley isn't quite a household name yet. If he did end up running, his name recognition would go up through news coverage, debates, etc. Remember that Carter, Obama, Bernie, and others were all unexpectedly successful though early polling was very much not in their favor.

That's not to say polls don't matter, but their value is decidedly limited right now. Until the primary season is actually underway or close to it, I'd say they're far from definitive.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #912 on: July 17, 2021, 11:50:54 AM »

Pence is rolling out a new attack line aimed at Black Lives Matter.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #913 on: July 17, 2021, 05:32:04 PM »

Pence is rolling out a new attack line aimed at Black Lives Matter.

That's a real zinger right there...I think this is going to end up as a bumper sticker on every other Republican's car.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #914 on: July 17, 2021, 08:19:30 PM »

He used a similar formulation with the Des Moines Register:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/iowa-poll/caucus/2021/07/16/mike-pompeo-twitter-iowa-family-leadership-summit-2024-candidate-caucuses-elect-republicans-2022/7994319002/

"We are helping folks run in 2022. That’s as far as we’re looking," Pompeo said in a phone interview with the Des Moines Register. "This fight is going to go on. It will go on past 2022, but what will happen, what my role will be in that, only the Lord knows."

Pompeo also tried to claim that he’s visiting Iowa because of his wife’s family roots there, but the he “doesn’t know” why other prospective 2024 candidates are doing so:

“My wife Susan was born in Iowa City, but she was raised in Wichita. She spent her summers at Coralville and Strawberry Point,” he said. “So that's why I'm back, I don't know why some of these other folks coming back now. I can't figure it out.”

Like Pompeo, Noem was also at the Family Leadership Summit in Iowa, where she said of Trump “I’m counting on him running.”:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/noem-says-shes-counting-on-trump-running-again-in-2024

The conservative governor and strong Trump ally told Fox News on Friday that the former president "had America right where we needed her. His policies were right. So I’m counting on him running."

On the question of why she’s making Iowa visits if not to prep for 2024, Noem said this:

"It’s my neighboring state. I’m here all the time. I was just here earlier this week," she said. And pointing to Iowa’s GOP governor, Noem said "Kim Reynolds asked me to come to this conference and I said absolutely, I’ll do anything for Kim."
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #915 on: July 17, 2021, 09:12:48 PM »

Ironic that he's able to say that after having feared that his own life was endangered by a law enforcement agency.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #916 on: July 18, 2021, 05:19:42 AM »

Kirsti Noem taking shots at other GOP Governors, like DeSantis.

More than 18 months before the first presidential primary of 2024, most potential Republican candidates are just getting a sense of the political landscape, tiptoeing through early-voting states and trying to make friends in key places. Then there’s Kristi Noem.

The South Dakota governor has come out swinging as she tries to carve a niche among an early crowd of possible GOP rivals for the White House. Her combative style, no surprise to those who follow her, is evidence of how competitive the nomination race will be if Donald Trump stays on the sidelines.

Noem charged into Iowa on Friday singing a battle hymn and armed with barbed comments for her fellow GOP governors. At a conservative gathering in Des Moines, she told the crowd she “really hates this America” under President Joe Biden’s leadership, then led them in singing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”

But Noem didn’t just take aim at political foes. She also unleashed sharp-edged comments on those within her own party, accusing fellow GOP governors of “rewriting history” by claiming they kept their states open during the pandemic.

“To pretend that they didn’t take actions that they had no authority to take isn’t standing on truth,” she told reporters Friday.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #917 on: July 18, 2021, 06:05:13 PM »

Kirsti Noem taking shots at other GOP Governors, like DeSantis.

More than 18 months before the first presidential primary of 2024, most potential Republican candidates are just getting a sense of the political landscape, tiptoeing through early-voting states and trying to make friends in key places. Then there’s Kristi Noem.

The South Dakota governor has come out swinging as she tries to carve a niche among an early crowd of possible GOP rivals for the White House. Her combative style, no surprise to those who follow her, is evidence of how competitive the nomination race will be if Donald Trump stays on the sidelines.

Noem charged into Iowa on Friday singing a battle hymn and armed with barbed comments for her fellow GOP governors. At a conservative gathering in Des Moines, she told the crowd she “really hates this America” under President Joe Biden’s leadership, then led them in singing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”

But Noem didn’t just take aim at political foes. She also unleashed sharp-edged comments on those within her own party, accusing fellow GOP governors of “rewriting history” by claiming they kept their states open during the pandemic.

“To pretend that they didn’t take actions that they had no authority to take isn’t standing on truth,” she told reporters Friday.

Fun fact: one of Kristi Noem's lesser known hobbies is throwing stones at glass houses.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #918 on: July 19, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #919 on: July 20, 2021, 07:34:50 AM »

He's also a liar who changes his mind on things depending on which way the wind is blowing, so...
Junior Chimp

« Reply #920 on: July 20, 2021, 07:44:44 AM »

He's also a liar who changes his mind on things depending on which way the wind is blowing, so...
I don't think Trump runs in 2024 despite he says otherwise. The most likelyhood is that he will play "Kingmaker" in 2024.

Trump only runs if he has the Full Support of his Family and I am not sure Melania, Ivanka, Lara, Eric, Don Jr or Tiffany want their Dad put through the wringer again by the Leftist Media!
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #921 on: July 21, 2021, 09:59:26 PM »

I could definitely see him running against Trump; Hawley's brand is pretty unique in the GOP right now. Someone like DeSantis, who's very derivative of Trump, probably won't run against him. But Hawley is positioning himself as a new breed of Republican. Given this, I could easily see him running against Trump.

When it comes to polling, we're a long way from the primary. Voters are tuned out, and I'd say Hawley isn't quite a household name yet. If he did end up running, his name recognition would go up through news coverage, debates, etc. Remember that Carter, Obama, Bernie, and others were all unexpectedly successful though early polling was very much not in their favor.

That's not to say polls don't matter, but their value is decidedly limited right now. Until the primary season is actually underway or close to it, I'd say they're far from definitive.
Hawley is NOT running against Trump.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #922 on: July 21, 2021, 10:49:53 PM »

Newsmax says that Trump is hinting that the only reason he hasn’t already announced his intention to run for prez again is because of campaign finance rules:

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/campaign-2024-presidential-run/2021/07/20/id/1029338/

While all signs are pointing to him getting back to a 2024 presidential campaign, former President Donald Trump said "antiquated" campaign finance regulations preclude him from making an official announcement.

"I can't really because of campaign finance rules, regulations," Trump told Tuesday's "The Michael Savage Show." "It's very complicated, very stiff, and frankly very antiquated, if you want to know the truth.

"It's ridiculous. It's actually ridiculous."

Meanwhile, Ted Cruz is headed to Iowa in August:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2021/07/21/ted-cruz-ashley-hinson-bbq-bash-fundraiser-iowa-caucus-republican-congress-election-gop-kim-reynolds/8026999002/

Iowa's 2016 Republican caucus winner, U.S. Sen Ted Cruz of Texas, is returning to the state next month to help raise money for 1st District U.S. Rep. Ashley Hinson, R-Marion.
The fundraiser, "Ashley's BBQ Bash," is scheduled for Aug. 28 at the Linn County Fairgrounds. Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley and RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel also will be in attendance.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #923 on: July 21, 2021, 10:56:05 PM »

More from that report here:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/trump-is-telling-dinner-guests-he-will-definitely-run-in-2024-despite-public-coyness-report-says/ar-AAMkCdA

"I have three friends who've had dinner with him in the last couple of months. All three reported that his current plans are to run for president in 2024," the official said. "Now, whether he does or not is a different issue. We've still got three years to go. But he's telling people that."

The official claims that the first two dinners took place in late spring, and the third occurred sometime within the last two weeks.

The individual who dined with Mr Trump at the third dinner reportedly said that they were "not 100 per cent sure Trump wants to run but he likes being in the conversation, he wants to freeze the field, and he wants his name out there."
EugeneDebs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #924 on: July 22, 2021, 09:08:58 AM »

Hawley is NOT running against Trump.

You're just asserting that; what about my reasoning was flawed?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies