The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:40:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 162687 times)
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: May 12, 2021, 01:30:46 PM »

And neither will Cassidy.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #776 on: May 12, 2021, 06:58:23 PM »

I do not take Cassidy as a credible authority on this. He's in the Cheney-Romney wing at this point and represents a "whopping" single digit percentage of Republicans...who are probably still Republicans only because they keep forgetting to change their registration.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #777 on: May 13, 2021, 11:47:51 PM »

Trump rallies resuming in June:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-13/trump-plans-to-resume-his-trademark-rallies-in-june

Former President Donald Trump expects to resume rallies with two events next month and one around the July 4 holiday, a person familiar with his plans confirmed.

Trump’s team is still determining the venues for the rallies, the person said. The planned resumption was first reported by the New York Post.

Liz Cheney asked about a 2024 presidential run and gives a non-answer:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/cheney-hasnt-ruled-out-a-presidential-bid

When asked if she would run for president in an effort to prevent Trump from winning a future presidential bid, [Cheney] said she was “going to do everything that I can,” to make sure that never happens.

Cheney said that a key focus of hers will be ensuring that the Republican Party “gets back to substance and policy.”

Pressed again about whether she would consider filing to run in a bid against Trump, Cheney said: “Right now, I am very focused on making sure that our party becomes again a party that stands for truth and stands for fundamental principles that are conservative and mostly stands for the Constitution.”
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #778 on: May 14, 2021, 10:55:16 AM »

Cheney appears to be leaning No in another interview:

“I am not, Bret,” Cheney told Baier, responding to his question about whether she is vying for the 2024 nomination. “What I think is really important is that we make sure that the former president, because we know what he is capable of … and because we know how important it is for us to be able to advance Republican ideals, that we make sure that he never again gets anywhere near the Oval Office.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/13/cheney-not-running-for-president-488174
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #779 on: May 14, 2021, 11:56:59 AM »

I think that’s a mischaracterization.  Here is the interview in question:

At about the 9:27 mark, Baier asks her “Are you running for president?”, and her answer is “I am not, Bret.”

But of course “Are you…?” is present tense.  All of the potential candidates would answer the same way, because they are not *now* running for president.  That doesn’t mean that she’s not going to run in 2024.

Also noted in that interview, Cheney went on a New Hampshire radio show today:

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #780 on: May 14, 2021, 01:02:01 PM »

I think that’s a mischaracterization.  Here is the interview in question:

At about the 9:27 mark, Baier asks her “Are you running for president?”, and her answer is “I am not, Bret.”

But of course “Are you…?” is present tense. 

Hence why I said "leaning No". A candidate who was leaning towards running could certainly say something different like "I'm considering all options", or "who knows? Maybe I will?", rather than simply "I'm not."
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #781 on: May 14, 2021, 03:49:19 PM »

Trump on 2024:

https://dailycaller.com/2021/05/04/donald-trump-2024-candace-owens/

“I’m absolutely enthused. I look forward to doing an announcement at the right time,” Trump told The Daily Wire’s Candace Owens about his 2024 election plans. Trump would enter the Republican primary field as a prohibitive favorite if he does run for president again.

“It’s very early, but I think people are going to be very, very happy … when I make a certain announcement,” Trump continued. “For campaign finance reasons, you really can’t do it too early because it becomes a whole different thing. Otherwise, I’d give you an answer that I think you’d be very happy with. So we are looking at that very, very seriously. And all I’ll say is, stay tuned.”
- snip -

Good grief, the man is certifiably nuts. (Well, we already knew that, but based on this, he's proving it even more.)

Some reporter has got to ask him this question: "Sir, you repeatedly claimed that election 2020 was stolen from you, that it was rigged and it had massive election fraud. If the last election was rigged against you, why wouldn't the next election be rigged as well? How can you possibly win since the opposition party still has the means of rigging the system again?"

Not, if GOP wins back the House. Unlikely, that Trump runs, if GOP will not have won it.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #782 on: May 14, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »

Trump on 2024:

“I’m absolutely enthused. I look forward to doing an announcement at the right time,” Trump told The Daily Wire’s Candace Owens about his 2024 election plans. Trump would enter the Republican primary field as a prohibitive favorite if he does run for president again.

“It’s very early, but I think people are going to be very, very happy … when I make a certain announcement,” Trump continued. “For campaign finance reasons, you really can’t do it too early because it becomes a whole different thing. Otherwise, I’d give you an answer that I think you’d be very happy with. So we are looking at that very, very seriously. And all I’ll say is, stay tuned.”
- snip -

Good grief, the man is certifiably nuts. (Well, we already knew that, but based on this, he's proving it even more.)

Some reporter has got to ask him this question: "Sir, you repeatedly claimed that election 2020 was stolen from you, that it was rigged and it had massive election fraud. If the last election was rigged against you, why wouldn't the next election be rigged as well? How can you possibly win since the opposition party still has the means of rigging the system again?"

Not, if GOP wins back the House. Unlikely, that Trump runs, if GOP will not have won it.

I deem it as highly likely that GOP will get the House back. Will be interesting how much effort Trump will put it to help McConnell, Thune, Barrasso and the GOP Senate Leadership as they try to shun and disavow Trump.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #783 on: May 16, 2021, 09:45:44 AM »

Trump on 2024:

- snip -

Huh? What does the fact of which party controlling the U.S. House of Reps have to do with Trump's perception of whether the next presidential election will be rigged or not? The existing Republican majorities in the state legislatures of Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin have the means of passing election reforms -- and they then have to get those reforms signed by the respective Governors -- which can mollify Trump's concerns about rigged elections or not. But I don't see whether there is Republican control of the U.S. House or not has anything to do with being able to mollify Trump's concern.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #784 on: May 16, 2021, 01:42:33 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2021, 02:17:51 PM by Mr. Morden »

Noem will headline the Family Leader’s Leadership Summit in July in Des Moines, IA:

https://www.iowafieldreport.com/campaigns/gov-noem-iowa-bound-in-july-headline-family-leader-event/

Also:

https://news.yahoo.com/south-dakota-noem-ignites-more-134655194.html

Hours before the Iowa announcement, Noem was the featured virtual guest during the latest gathering of the "Right of Center" group of New Hampshire conservative activists and leaders, which was first reported by Fox News.

I also mentioned in a previous post that Cheney was on a NH radio program on Friday, where she was asked again about 2024.  From that same Yahoo story I just linked to above:

Asked during the "New Hampshire Today" interview about the next presidential race, [Cheney] said it’s "not something I’m focused on," before adding that she’s "not ruling anything in or out."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #785 on: May 19, 2021, 01:21:41 PM »

Christie:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chris-christie-swipes-nikki-haley-for-deferring-to-trump-on-potential-2024-run-shows-weakness-indecision

"After 2022 is over, we'll make a decision about whether we're going to run or not, but I certainly won't preclude it and I'm also not going to be one of these people who's gonna say, ‘Well, I’ll wait to see what President Trump is gonna do,'" Christie said. "I'm not going to defer to anyone. If I decide that it's what I want to do and I think I'm the best option for the Republican Party and for the country."

He continued, If you're saying you're deferring to someone, that's a real sign of both weakness and indecision and we've already got that in the White House."
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #786 on: May 20, 2021, 01:00:04 AM »

Christie:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chris-christie-swipes-nikki-haley-for-deferring-to-trump-on-potential-2024-run-shows-weakness-indecision

"After 2022 is over, we'll make a decision about whether we're going to run or not, but I certainly won't preclude it and I'm also not going to be one of these people who's gonna say, ‘Well, I’ll wait to see what President Trump is gonna do,'" Christie said. "I'm not going to defer to anyone. If I decide that it's what I want to do and I think I'm the best option for the Republican Party and for the country."

He continued, If you're saying you're deferring to someone, that's a real sign of both weakness and indecision and we've already got that in the White House."

good podcast!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #787 on: May 20, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »

Christie:

?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #788 on: May 21, 2021, 02:23:06 PM »

He's definitely running unless Charlie Crist takes him out before (lmao):

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #789 on: May 21, 2021, 02:28:44 PM »

Trump on his 2024 timeline:

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-joe-pags-election-2024-midterms-1593544

Asked when he would make a decision about running again in 2024, Trump replied: "I don't know exactly when I can say it but it's something I am very very strongly considering."
Trump continued: "Everybody wants me to do it, the polls are all saying I have to do it. I will be making a decision maybe before but possibly more likely right after the 2022 election.

"We have the elections coming up, I'm focused on that, we want to get the House members in," he said. "We can actually pick up a couple of senators but I want to focus on that."
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #790 on: May 21, 2021, 06:59:35 PM »

Christie:

?

If you take Christie seriously - I don't, but many do - it should be reassuring to hear Republicans sounding so lame again. The line is recognizable as a generic insult among politicians who have nothing to say and can't even bother with something clever, much like the vapid Mitt Romney catchphrase about Obama "apologizing for America." No one ever turned out to vote over dull, weak, meaningless rhetoric like this.

Christie's supposed to be this amusing no-bullsh**t insult comic, but he just comes across as a corrupt hack who got duped by Trump and now projects all of the charisma of a stale bowl of oatmeal.

Well said. Try having him as your Governor for eight years though. I never took him seriously. Sure, he handled Hurricane Sandy well, but Governors are supposed to. I never wanted to give him a pat on the back for doing his job competently. I was actually glad that Bridgeghazi happened because it was very vindicating after I voted for Buono in 2013. It was a regular "Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts" sort of thing.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #791 on: May 24, 2021, 06:42:18 PM »

Aside from the early primary states, another common place to visit for prospective presidential candidates (especially Republicans) is Israel.  Pompeo is heading there later this week:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #792 on: May 24, 2021, 07:24:50 PM »

Ryan, Pence, Pompeo, Haley, Cotton, and Tim Scott will all be speaking at the Reagan Library as part of a speaking series called “Time for Choosing”:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-pence-ryan-haley-scott-cotton-reagan-library-speeches-gop-future
Junior Chimp

« Reply #793 on: May 25, 2021, 03:02:23 PM »

Ryan, Pence, Pompeo, Haley, Cotton, and Tim Scott will all be speaking at the Reagan Library as part of a speaking series called “Time for Choosing”:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-pence-ryan-haley-scott-cotton-reagan-library-speeches-gop-future

Why are they inviting a Clown like Paul Ryan!

Ryan doesn't even belong into the Republican Party.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #794 on: May 27, 2021, 08:38:08 AM »

Politico reports Trump is telling allies he’s going to run again if he’s in good health:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/27/trump-2024-gop-skepticism-491002

Trump is confiding in allies that he intends to run again in 2024 with one contingency: that he still has a good bill of health, according to two sources close to the former president.

Noem forms new PAC:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kristi-noem-forms-pac-sparking-talk-of-2024-bid/ar-AAKpEnD?li=BB141NW3

Noem Victory Fund is a federal fundraising committee enabling the governor to raise money she could then donate to candidates running for Congress and other down-ballot contests in 2022. Noem would not be the first Republican governor to use this strategy to accumulate allies inside the party in advance of a presidential bid. Noem is considered a 2024 contender, and her desire to pursue a run for higher office could explain the new PAC.

Gaetz suggests he still might run for president in 2024 (sort of….he at least says he thinks he could win, which I guess only indirectly implies he might run):

https://nypost.com/2021/05/26/matt-gaetz-still-eyes-2024-bid-despite-sex-trafficking-probe-unless-trump-runs/

“I support Donald Trump for president. I’ve directly encouraged him to run and he gives me every indication he will,” the Florida Republican texted The Post Wednesday. “If Trump doesn’t run, I’m sure I could defeat whatever remains of Joe Biden by 2024.”

As that story also notes, Gaetz is headed to NH in August.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #795 on: May 27, 2021, 09:44:15 AM »

Looks like Pompeo will speak at this as well:

https://iowatorch.com/2021/05/26/pompeo-headed-back-to-iowa-in-july/
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #796 on: May 27, 2021, 03:43:07 PM »

Paul Ryan wades into Republican Civil War, will criticize Trump's hold on Republican Party at speech at Reagan Presidential library tonight.

Former House Speaker Paul Ryan is set to criticize former President Donald Trump and his hold on the Republican Party during a speech Thursday night, according to excerpts obtained by CNN.

Ryan, a critic of the former President in the past, is expected to say at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, that Republicans must move away from the "populist appeal of one personality" because "then we're not going anywhere."

"Once again, we conservatives find ourselves at a crossroads. And here's one reality we have to face: If the conservative cause depends on the populist appeal of one personality, or on second-rate imitations, then we're not going anywhere. Voters looking for Republican leaders want to see independence and mettle," Ryan is expected to say.

The excerpts indicate that Ryan plans to outline a path forward for the Republican Party in the Biden era. According to the excerpts, the only time Ryan will reference Trump by name is to praise him for how, at the start of 2020, the US "saw such incredibly powerful and inclusive economic growth," though he suggests more credit is due to Reagan-inspired policy rather than Trumpism.

"It was the populism of President Trump in action, tethered to conservative principles," he is expected to say.

In his speech, he also plans to warn his fellow conservatives at being drawn into cultural battles with Democrats.

"As the left gets more 'woke,' the rest of America is getting weary. It's exhausting. And we conservatives have to be careful not to get caught up in every little cultural battle," he will say. "Sometimes these skirmishes are just creations of outrage peddlers, detached from reality and not worth anybody's time. They draw attention away from the far more important case we must make to the American people."

Ryan will also criticize President Joe Biden, claiming he is "pursuing an agenda more leftist than any president in my lifetime."

"In 2020, the country wanted a nice guy who would move to the center and depolarize our politics. Instead, we got a nice guy pursuing an agenda more leftist than any president in my lifetime. These policies might have the full approval of his progressive supporters, but they break faith with the middle-of-the-road folks who made the difference for him on Election Day," he is expected to say.

Matt Gaetz tells the New York Post he will run if Trump doesn't.

He may be facing allegations of sex trafficking of a minor, but Rep. Matt Gaetz still has his eye on a 2024 presidential bid — as long as former President Donald Trump does not decide to run.

“I support Donald Trump for president. I’ve directly encouraged him to run and he gives me every indication he will,” the Florida Republican texted The Post Wednesday. “If Trump doesn’t run, I’m sure I could defeat whatever remains of Joe Biden by 2024.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #797 on: May 27, 2021, 05:23:41 PM »

Matt Gaetz tells the New York Post he will run if Trump doesn't.

He may be facing allegations of sex trafficking of a minor, but Rep. Matt Gaetz still has his eye on a 2024 presidential bid — as long as former President Donald Trump does not decide to run.

I posted that story two posts ago.  Like I said there, that's not really any kind of promise to run if Trump doesn't.  It's more just expounding on a hypothetical.  He seems to be saying something like "If I were to be the nominee (which is only possible if Trump doesn't run), then I could beat Biden in the general election."  That's different from "I'm going to be the nominee if Trump doesn't run."

If he said "I will defeat" rather than "I could defeat", then I guess it would be different.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #798 on: May 27, 2021, 07:19:06 PM »

Matt Gaetz 2024? Endorsed! Let's get nuts and give Biden an easy re-election!

Scandal-plagued Republicans using their skeletons as attributes representing grievance and/or persecution need to realize that they don't have the skill to transcend them like Trump did. Just look at Roy Moore.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #799 on: May 27, 2021, 09:57:50 PM »

Welp, we've already had a socialist run for President from prison, so it'd just be evening the score for a fascist to do so too.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies