The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:16:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 164954 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: February 16, 2021, 10:37:00 AM »

So Biden's first 2 domestic presidential trips will conveniently take place in 2 of the 5 most important swing states. Hmmm:

UPDATE - It was the White House which was specifically focused on going to the Midwest. In other words, you can't convince me the man doesn't run for re-election if he thinks he's able to:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2021/02/15/pabst-theater-prepares-joe-bidens-tuesday-cnn-town-hall/4483143001/

The event will be socially distanced, with the president fielding questions from a small, invitation-only audience of Democrats, Republicans and independents. Anderson Cooper will serve as moderator. It's scheduled to run for an hour. …

Mark Preston, CNN's vice president of political special event programming, said the network approached the Biden team after the election to see if the president would want to discuss his agenda. Preston said the White House was interested in doing an event in the Midwest and mentioned several cities, including Milwaukee.

"Milwaukee is a great city to work in," Preston said. "People are very easy to work with, they're smart and know the issues. It reminds me of home. I'm from Boston."  … "We're definitely blessed that we have the president at this time in history willing to come out and take questions right now," Preston said. "We just got over the second impeachment trial of the former president. COVID is on the decline ... the economy is a mess."
Proud Houstonian
Proud Houstianan
United States

« Reply #601 on: February 17, 2021, 11:44:42 AM »

More than half of the participants in a Politico/Morning Consult poll released Tuesday believe that former President Donald Trump should no longer have a role in the Republican party. However, in the same poll, Trump led a list of hypothetical GOP candidates for president in the 2024 election.
Proud Houstonian
Proud Houstianan
United States

« Reply #602 on: February 17, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »

The top-three early contenders are names on whom fortunes have already been won or lost. Donald Trump is into third favourite already at 12.5 behind the current President and Vice President.
Proud Houstonian
Proud Houstianan
United States

« Reply #603 on: February 17, 2021, 11:49:29 AM »

The Politico/Morning Consult flash poll found Romney would get 4% of the vote, tying him with Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #604 on: February 17, 2021, 07:27:03 PM »

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #605 on: February 18, 2021, 08:01:43 AM »

My suspicion has always been that he will tease this out until the last moment before ultimately deciding not to run.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #606 on: February 19, 2021, 10:07:48 AM »

Ernst says she “rules out” running for prez in 2024:

https://www.carrollspaper.com/news/ernst-totally-rules-out-presidential-run-in-2024/article_3795c018-7214-11eb-b0b8-f76852082b2e.html

“I rule it out totally, I do,” Ernst told the Carroll Times Herald in Glidden. “Why not? I guess because I just won my second term in the Unites States Senate. I am so committed to the United States Senate, and I just think that I have a lot to accomplish in the Senate yet.”
“I just feel really good about where I am and the influence that I have in the Senate,” Ernst said. “And I think right now it is best for me to be in the Senate working for Iowans. This is the state I love. This is the people I want to work for, so I think this is the right position for me now.”
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #607 on: February 19, 2021, 10:11:19 AM »

My suspicion has always been that he will tease this out until the last moment before ultimately deciding not to run.

That's what several observers have suggested as well and as of now I think the most likely outcome. The big unknown here is still Mr. Trump's potential many legal problems down the road.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #608 on: February 19, 2021, 01:48:53 PM »

I've not heard of Sen. Joni Ernst, is she a rising star? It's always entertaining when obscure people that no one had even considered publicly declare their lack of running. Joe Sanberg 2020...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #609 on: February 19, 2021, 02:13:55 PM »

It's always entertaining when obscure people that no one had even considered publicly declare their lack of running.

Ernst '24 isn't entirely out of left field.  Way back in 2016, she did meet with the New Hampshire delegation at the RNC, which led some to think she might be floating a 2020 presidential run.  (This was of course back when everyone thought Trump would lose in 2016, and a 2020 run would be against incumbent President Clinton.)

And then last year, she went to a few events that drew other '24 hopefuls.  E.g., she spoke at CPAC.  And then was scheduled to go to a Republican Jewish Coalition event in (early caucus state) Nevada that would have also featured a few others who have hinted at ’24 runs, like Haley and Pompeo.  (That event ended up being cancelled because of covid, so she didn't end up going after all.) All of that is covered in this thread, if you want to browse about 20 pages back.  Smiley
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #610 on: February 20, 2021, 07:07:20 PM »

CPAC is now less than a week away.  It’s actually being held in Orlando this year.  Here’s a list of confirmed speakers:

https://cpac.conservative.org/speakers/

It includes quite a few potential 2024 candidates, including Trump, Noem, Pompeo, DeSantis, Cotton, Cruz, Hawley, and Rick Scott.

According to this tweet, Pence was invited, but is opting not to attend:

Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #611 on: February 20, 2021, 07:39:33 PM »

CPAC is now less than a week away.  It’s actually being held in Orlando this year.  Here’s a list of confirmed speakers:

https://cpac.conservative.org/speakers/

It includes quite a few potential 2024 candidates, including Trump, Noem, Pompeo, DeSantis, Cotton, Cruz, Hawley, and Rick Scott.

According to this tweet, Pence was invited, but is opting not to attend:

Pence probably would've gotten booed pretty harshly anyways.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #612 on: February 21, 2021, 02:22:51 PM »

Will Hurd says Trump should have little to no role in the Republican Party going forward.

Former Rep. Will Hurd (R-Texas) said Sunday that the GOP should have little if anything to do with former President Trump following the violent riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

Speaking with NBC's "Meet the Press," Hurd argued that the Republican Party had lost both houses of Congress and the White House over the past four years as a direct result of the former president.

"I think very little, if not none at all," Hurd said when asked about what role Trump should play in the GOP's future. "This is a president that lost the House, the Senate, the White House in four years. I think the last person to do that was Herbert Hoover, and that was during the Great Depression."

"We should be talking to disaffected Democrats" who do not support ideas such as reducing funding to law enforcement or expanding immigration, Hurd added, pointing to the failure of House Democrats to pick up any seats from Republicans during the November election.

Asa Hutchinson says he won't won't support a Trump 2024 campaign

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Sunday that he would not support a run by former President Donald Trump for reelection in 2024.

"He's got a good family ... and they love America," the Republican told host Dana Bash on CNN's "State of the Union." "But I would not support him for reelection in 2024."

"He's going to have a voice, as former presidents do, but there's many voices in our party," he went on. Trump "should not define our future."

Hutchinson said in January that he wanted the Trump administration to end, but stopped short of calling for the former president's resignation. He also called a second set of impeachment proceedings "unworkable."

The governor's nephew, an Arkansas state senator, has since announced he is leaving the Republican Party due to the direction the GOP has taken.

Hutchinson called on the GOP to pivot away from Trump's perspective and toward "a different voice for the future of our party."

"He will only define our party if we let him define our party," Hutchinson said Sunday. "I think it's fine for CPAC to invite former President Trump to speak, but how about the other voices? Senator [Bill] Cassidy from Louisiana, those that have different points of view."

"That's what we've got to embrace," he went on. Trump "has a loud megaphone, but we have to have many different voices, and in my view, we can't let him define us for the future because that would just further divide our country and it would hurt our Republican Party."

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #613 on: February 21, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »

This was mentioned a few days ago in another thread, but:

https://movieweb.com/dwayne-johnson-president-2024/

It's now 2021, and Dwayne Johnson is considering running for president again. A lot has changed since 2019 when the actor talked about lacking experience in politics. Could a 2024 presidential campaign be in the cards for real this time? Johnson maintains that it's not really up to him to decide if he runs or not. He had this to say:

"I would consider a presidential run in the future if that's what the people wanted. Truly I mean that, and I'm not flippant in any way with my answer. That would be up to the people... So I would wait, and I would listen. I would have my finger on the pulse, my ear to the ground."
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #614 on: February 21, 2021, 11:22:16 PM »

Asa Hutchinson says he won't won't support a Trump 2024 campaign

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Sunday that he would not support a run by former President Donald Trump for reelection in 2024.

"He's got a good family ... and they love America," the Republican told host Dana Bash on CNN's "State of the Union." "But I would not support him for reelection in 2024."

"He's going to have a voice, as former presidents do, but there's many voices in our party," he went on. Trump "should not define our future."

Hutchinson said in January that he wanted the Trump administration to end, but stopped short of calling for the former president's resignation. He also called a second set of impeachment proceedings "unworkable."

The governor's nephew, an Arkansas state senator, has since announced he is leaving the Republican Party due to the direction the GOP has taken.

Hutchinson called on the GOP to pivot away from Trump's perspective and toward "a different voice for the future of our party."

"He will only define our party if we let him define our party," Hutchinson said Sunday. "I think it's fine for CPAC to invite former President Trump to speak, but how about the other voices? Senator [Bill] Cassidy from Louisiana, those that have different points of view."

"That's what we've got to embrace," he went on. Trump "has a loud megaphone, but we have to have many different voices, and in my view, we can't let him define us for the future because that would just further divide our country and it would hurt our Republican Party."

Tfw the Governor of Arkansas is saner than a Senator from Wisconsin.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #615 on: February 22, 2021, 10:17:47 AM »

https://inquisitr.com/6482756/donald-trump-is-telling-aides-he-is-focusing-on-a-2024-run-repor

A Saturday report from The New York Times claimed that former President Donald Trump has been discussing a potential 2024 presidential run behind closed doors.

"And Mr. Trump has signaled to several allies and advisers in recent days that he is focused on running for president again in 2024," the report read.

"Whether he actually does is an open question. But his presence could freeze the field for the next two years, preventing other candidates from developing operations and, more important, networks of donors to sustain their candidacies."
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #616 on: February 22, 2021, 10:25:17 AM »

Please get Mr. Trump behind bars. The dude is poison for the political climate in this country.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #617 on: February 22, 2021, 11:47:35 AM »

Trump will tell CPAC he is the "presumptive nominee" in 2024.

Donald Trump will reportedly tell the Conservative Political Action Conference in Florida this week he is Republicans’ “presumptive 2024 nominee” for president.

Trump will address CPAC on Sunday, his subject the future of the party he took over in the 2016 primary then led from the White House through four tumultuous years. On Monday, citing anonymous sources, the news site Axios reported his plan to assume the mantle of challenger to Joe Biden – or another Democrat, should the 78-year-old president decide not to run for a second term.

An unnamed “longtime adviser” was quoted as saying Trump’s speech to the rightwing event will be a “show of force” with the message: “I may not have Twitter or the Oval Office, but I’m still in charge.”

A named source, close adviser Jason Miller, said: “Trump effectively is the Republican party. The only chasm is between Beltway insiders and grass-roots Republicans around the country. When you attack President Trump, you’re attacking the Republican grass roots.”
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #618 on: February 22, 2021, 11:53:09 AM »

That'll be news to Josh Hawley.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #619 on: February 22, 2021, 12:00:27 PM »

I'm sure the Republicans in the Senate who voted to acquit Trump are going to be thrilled to find out his political career isn't even close to being finished. This was always going to happen, and it's going to be an absolutely brutal election cycle.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #620 on: February 22, 2021, 12:02:07 PM »

I'm sure the Republicans in the Senate who voted to acquit Trump are going to be thrilled to find out his political career isn't even close to being finished. This was always going to happen, and it's going to be an absolutely brutal election cycle.

Inb4 Ted Cruz runs for President anyway and reverts back to his 2016 primary rhetoric on Trump
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #621 on: February 23, 2021, 01:42:21 PM »

Inb4 Ted Cruz runs for President anyway and reverts back to his 2016 primary rhetoric on Trump

Bonus points if he finds a way to somehow blame his support for Trump since on his daughters.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #622 on: February 24, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »

Mitt Romney predicts that Trump would easily win the nomination if he runs in 2024.

Sen. Mitt Romney predicted Tuesday that former President Donald Trump would easily win the Republican presidential nomination if he seeks the White House again in 2024.

In a New York Times-DealBook virtual interview, the Utah Republican said he was “sure” the former president would play a role in the GOP in the coming years — assessing that Trump has “by far the largest voice and a big impact in my party.”

“I expect he will continue playing a role. I don’t know if he’ll run in 2024 or not. But if he does, I’m pretty sure he will win the nomination,” Romney said.

Although the senator cautioned that “a lot can happen between now and 2024,” he pointed to public opinion surveys that show Republican voters still overwhelmingly favor the former president.

“I look at the polls,” Romney said. “And the polls show that among the names being floated as potential contenders in 2024, if you put President Trump in there among Republicans, he wins in a landslide.”
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #623 on: February 24, 2021, 10:58:19 AM »

I hope President Biden runs for reelection I have been quite happy with the results of his first month in office.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #624 on: February 24, 2021, 01:23:15 PM »

rand paul will run.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies