The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:40:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 162683 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: July 03, 2022, 12:20:40 AM »

Meanwhile, more Hutchinson talk about “foundation laying”:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/asa-hutchinson-2024-presidential-run-against-trump

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Friday he is "laying down the foundation" for a possible 2024 presidential run that could see him face off against former President Donald Trump.

The Republican governor said that testimony given to the House Jan. 6 committee over the past three weeks has shown that Trump "acted irresponsibly" and was a "risk to the nation."
Hutchinson, who is term-limited and is not seeking reelection, said he has been preparing for a possible White House bid, testing the waters to see "if that is something that is going to be helpful to our country."

"No decision will be made until after this election in 2022," he added.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1401 on: July 03, 2022, 01:11:38 AM »

Meanwhile, more Hutchinson talk about “foundation laying”:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/asa-hutchinson-2024-presidential-run-against-trump

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Friday he is "laying down the foundation" for a possible 2024 presidential run that could see him face off against former President Donald Trump.

The Republican governor said that testimony given to the House Jan. 6 committee over the past three weeks has shown that Trump "acted irresponsibly" and was a "risk to the nation."
Hutchinson, who is term-limited and is not seeking reelection, said he has been preparing for a possible White House bid, testing the waters to see "if that is something that is going to be helpful to our country."

"No decision will be made until after this election in 2022," he added.

He's gonna run and drop out before Iowa.
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #1402 on: July 03, 2022, 08:38:51 AM »

Cheney hasn't decided on 2024 yet:

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1403 on: July 03, 2022, 12:34:48 PM »

Gavin made a florida ad buy for the fourth of July weekend in Florida on fox news bashing Desantis. This is Gavins first step getting into the national sphere hes clearly preparing to run in 2024.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1404 on: July 03, 2022, 01:14:05 PM »

Pompeo is already running digital ads in Iowa and South Carolina:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3538653-pompeo-rolls-out-ad-on-religious-freedom-in-iowa-s-c-amid-2024-speculation/

Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who is rumored to be gearing up for a presidential campaign, released an ad on Monday promoting religious freedom minutes after the Supreme Court ruled in a major school prayer case.

The ad begins with a voiceover from the day the court held oral arguments on the case, with the narrator calling it “one of the most important” school prayer cases in more than a decade.

“They’re not just words,” Pompeo interjects. “They’re not just actions. They’re the things that make us. They lift us, inspire us, save us.”

A person familiar with the ad campaign said it is running digitally in Iowa and South Carolina, two early 2024 primary states seen as key to winning a party’s nomination for president.

Meanwhile, Haley was in Iowa this past week, where she said that she’ll run for president “if it looks like there’s a place for me”.  She also said that she’ll make a decision early next year:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nikki-haley-teases-2024-presidential-200546715.html

"What I've always said is, I love this country," she said, based on reports by the Des Moines Register. "I had the pleasure of serving the state that raised me and defending the country I love so much. And if it looks like there's a place for me next year, I've never lost a race. I'm not going to start now. I'll put 1,000 percent in and I'll finish it."

"If there's not a place for me," she added, "I will fight for this country until my last breath."

Haley, 50, has made her interest in becoming president clear as she gave a similar statement last week on Fox News' Faulkner Focus. She told host Harris Faulkner that she will reveal her decision about running early next year.
The Post and Courier states that Trump's potential presidential bid will be the deciding factor in Haley's decision to run. Though she criticized his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, riots at the U.S. Capitol, the outlet reports that the two are on good terms. Haley herself has danced around questions about whether she would challenge Trump.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1405 on: July 03, 2022, 02:44:45 PM »

This story was posted in its own thread, but I’ll post it here for posterity as well.  Also, the part about Manchin declining to rule out a run wasn’t mentioned there, so I’ll highlight it here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/27/us/politics/biden-2024-democrats-trump.html

Senator Joe Manchin III of West Virginia, who some wealthy donors are hoping will consider a third-party presidential bid, declined to say whether he would consider such a run or if he planned to back Mr. Biden. “We’re just trying to do our daily thing, brother,” Mr. Manchin said. “Trying to do what we got to do that’s good for the country.”
Even more subtly, Mr. Biden has made personnel moves that indicate he’s at least preparing to run, most notably summoning Anita Dunn, a longtime adviser, back to the White House from her public affairs firm. Ms. Dunn, who helped revive the president’s moribund primary campaign in 2020; Jennifer O’Malley Dillon, Mr. Biden’s top political aide; and senior adviser Mike Donilon are expected to help guide the re-election, though notably there has been no decision yet on who will formally manage the re-election outside the White House.

What Mr. Biden will not do, aides say, is quiet the critics by filing his paperwork to run in 2024 before this year’s midterm elections, a step being considered by Mr. Trump. Mr. Biden’s advisers feel the move would suggest panic and create a significant fund-raising burden two years before the campaign. Should the midterms go poorly, however, the president may feel pressure to formalize his intentions sooner than what they see as the modern standard — former President Barack Obama’s April 2011 declaration.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1406 on: July 03, 2022, 05:30:30 PM »

Cotton's heading back to NH next month:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1407 on: July 06, 2022, 12:03:30 AM »

Is Trump about to launch a presidential campaign as a ploy to keep himself out of prison?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/05/trump-2024-run-us-elections-prosecution

Trump has reportedly told advisers that declaring a run for the White House now would allow him to strengthen his argument that other criminal investigations against him in New York and Georgia are politically motivated.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1408 on: July 07, 2022, 06:48:24 PM »

DeSantis will be holding a fundraiser in Utah with some megadonors during the week of July 18.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is planning a private fundraiser in Utah later this month that is expected to draw some of the country’s wealthiest Republican donors as he signals a possible run for president in 2024.

DeSantis is set to head to Utah the week of July 18 for the private gathering, according to people familiar with the matter. Many asked not to be identified because the campaign is trying to keep the private event from getting too much public attention.

Though DeSantis is coming to Utah to raise money for his 2022 gubernatorial reelection campaign, fundraisers held in far-flung states like Utah, which is more than 2,000 miles from his home state, often suggest national aspirations.

The state is known to be a GOP stronghold; Utah voters have picked a Republican for president in each of the past six elections. Former President Donald Trump beat Joe Biden in the state by 20 percentage points in 2020.

Carson Jorgensen, chairman of the Utah Republican Party, said the state party isn’t co-hosting the event, but it will likely send someone to what’s expected to include breakfast and lunch with DeSantis. He noted the event is privately hosted and closed to the press.

“We just want to see more events done in the state supporting great candidates across the country,” Jorgensen said in a text message. He did not confirm a date of the gathering or who is going to be hosting DeSantis.

DeSantis spokeswoman Lindsey Curnutte wouldn’t confirm any details, saying the campaign doesn’t “discuss private fundraising events with members of the press.”

A person helping organize the fundraiser this month said many donors from across the country have been invited and will attend the gathering in Utah, but they are trying to keep Trump from taking notice. Invites have been sent verbally, instead of by email, to limit any paper trail, this person said. Donors have been told that the meetings with DeSantis in Utah is likely to start early in the day on July 19.

The other reason DeSantis is keeping the event under the radar, this person added, is to avoid looking like he is preparing to take on Trump in the 2024 Republican primary and provoking the former president’s ire.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1409 on: July 08, 2022, 12:00:20 PM »

The latest on Trump's timeline:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-not-expected-to-announce-white-house-run-in-july-2022-7

Former President Donald Trump has backed off considering a presidential run announcement in July, a Republican strategist who spoke with two of Trump's advisors told Insider.
Trump's advisers are urging him to delay an announcement until 2023, but a chief perspective for Trump would be that of of his wife, Melania Trump, according to the GOP strategist who spoke to Trump's advisors.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1410 on: July 09, 2022, 11:07:07 PM »

The latest on Trump's timeline:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-not-expected-to-announce-white-house-run-in-july-2022-7

Former President Donald Trump has backed off considering a presidential run announcement in July, a Republican strategist who spoke with two of Trump's advisors told Insider.
Trump's advisers are urging him to delay an announcement until 2023, but a chief perspective for Trump would be that of of his wife, Melania Trump, according to the GOP strategist who spoke to Trump's advisors.

I wonder if his advisors are worried that if he announces before November, anything short of a stellar GOP result will likely be blamed on him (even if Roe v. Wade will probably be a bigger factor).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1411 on: July 10, 2022, 08:49:24 PM »

Jon Stewart says he’s not interested in running for president:

https://www.thewrap.com/jon-stewart-2024-presidential-run-no-thank-you/

Jon Stewart wasted neither time nor words responding to a viral op-ed calling for him to run for president in 2024.

“Ummm… no thank you,” the television host tweeted after Politico published an opinion piece declaring Stewart the Democratic Party’s best chance at holding onto the White House.

Meanwhile, here’s Tucker Carlson on 2024:

https://dailycaller.com/2022/07/07/tucker-responds-run-president-2024/

“I’m curious about your ambitions,” Smith said. “There are friends of yours, to the extent you’ve still got them in Washington, who are talking about your running for president in 2024 and I’m curious what your thought process is around that.”

“I have zero ambition, not just politically, but in life,” Carlson said. “My ambition is to write my script by 8 p.m. And I’m not just saying that, as anyone who works with me or knows me, I don’t think that way. I don’t want power. I’ve never wanted power. I’m annoyed by things, I want them to change, but I’ve never been motivated by the desire to control people.”
“So, that’s a ‘you’re not running?'” Smith pressed.

“I’m not running, I mean come on,” Carlson replied. “I’m a talk show host, and I enjoy my job, by the way.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1412 on: July 10, 2022, 09:10:35 PM »

Ro Khanna visited NH about a week and a half ago:

https://sports.yahoo.com/congressman-ro-khanna-speak-stonewall-183500671.html

Cotton was in Iowa this past week and gave a non-answer on 2024:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2022/07/08/tom-cotton-returns-iowa-campaign-2024-republican-candidates-rumors-swirl/7751553001/

“We do have a lot of opportunity in 2024 not just for the White House but for the Senate as well,” the Arkansas senator told reporters after headlining an event for Story County Republicans in Cambridge. “But we've got to have a good start in 2022. So that's where my electoral focus is right now, and future elections I'll consider in the future.”

And finally, Trump was in another early state on Friday: Nevada, where he teased another run:

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2022/07/08/trump-teases-2024-presidential-bid-during-las-vegas-rally/10018494002/

“We have a president who ran twice, won twice,” Trump said, referring to his debunked lies that the 2020 presidential election was rigged, “and may have to do it a third time. Can you believe it?” 
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1413 on: July 10, 2022, 09:15:54 PM »

Jon Stewart says he’s not interested in running for president:

https://www.thewrap.com/jon-stewart-2024-presidential-run-no-thank-you/

Jon Stewart wasted neither time nor words responding to a viral op-ed calling for him to run for president in 2024.

“Ummm… no thank you,” the television host tweeted after Politico published an opinion piece declaring Stewart the Democratic Party’s best chance at holding onto the White House.

Stewart's the wrong late night talk show host for 2024.

Colbert 2024, please.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1414 on: July 11, 2022, 08:21:20 AM »

Jon Stewart's time, if there ever was one, was 2016. I would've loved if he had ran, but that ship has sailed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1415 on: July 11, 2022, 10:35:04 PM »

Pence is headed back to South Carolina next week:

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/pence-planning-another-sc-trip-as-2024-presidential-chatter-mounts/article_975478d0-0117-11ed-8339-434936698f56.html

And Tim Scott is headed back to Iowa in August:

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/south-carolina-u-s-sen-tim-scott-to-headline-hinson-s-bbq-bash/article_6214cff5-9e64-535d-b0d3-9f3f3c884d43.html

Meanwhile, Hogan will be in NH this week:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2024-watch-marylands-hogan-spotlight-inflation-relief-plan-during-jam-packed-new-hampshire-trip
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #1416 on: July 12, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »

The obsession with Hillary is very unhealthy. When does that ever stop?

The Democratic Party has an incumbent president who repeatedly stated his intention to run for reelection. It's a fantasy debate.

If we're gonna talk also-rans why not give Howard Dean a shot
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #1417 on: July 12, 2022, 01:43:46 PM »

Stewart's the wrong late night talk show host for 2024.

Colbert 2024, please.
Are you serious? Stewart is miles better of a candidate than Colbert.

Conan (in the year) 2000
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1418 on: July 13, 2022, 05:04:39 AM »

Biden: Democrats want me to run

President Biden insisted Tuesday that Democrats want him to run for reelection, firing back at doubters after a poll showed a majority of primary voters wanted someone else at the top of the ticket in 2024. 

“They want me to run,” Biden said Tuesday evening when asked by a reporter, toward the end of the White House Congressional Picnic, for his message to Democrats who don’t want him to run for reelection.

“Read the polls. Read the polls,” Biden continued. “You guys are all the same. That poll showed that 92 percent of Democrats if I ran would vote for me.”
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #1419 on: July 13, 2022, 11:59:03 PM »

President Biden insisted Tuesday that Democrats want him to run for reelection, firing back at doubters after a poll showed a majority of primary voters wanted someone else at the top of the ticket in 2024. 

“They want me to run,” Biden said Tuesday evening when asked by a reporter, toward the end of the White House Congressional Picnic, for his message to Democrats who don’t want him to run for reelection.

“Read the polls. Read the polls,” Biden continued. “You guys are all the same. That poll showed that 92 percent of Democrats if I ran would vote for me.”

Yikes, well that’s defensive
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1420 on: July 14, 2022, 09:40:03 AM »

Trump is expected to announce before the midterms, possibly as early as September.

Donald Trump is expected to announce a 2024 presidential run ahead of November’s midterm elections, and in spite of advice from his closest aides, two confidents claim.

Two advisers told The Washington Post he is now allegedly eyeing September to make an announcement at the earliest, the paper reported on Thursday.

One aide described the chances of an announcement as being at “70-30 he announces before the midterms”, while others reportedly said September could be the soonest date.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1421 on: July 14, 2022, 10:11:50 AM »

Yikes, well that’s defensive

Yeah this reads as surprisingly defensive. I get that Biden has to respond to these in some ways but this isn't a great look.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1422 on: July 14, 2022, 01:31:21 PM »

Trump is asked about his 2024 decision:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/donald-trump-2024-decision.html

What would factor into such a decision for such an unusual person? “Well, in my own mind, I’ve already made that decision, so nothing factors in anymore. In my own mind, I’ve already made that decision,” he said.

He wouldn’t disclose what he’d decided. Not at first. But then he couldn’t help himself. “I would say my big decision will be whether I go before or after,” he said. “You understand what that means?” His tone was conspiratorial. Was he referring to the midterm elections? He repeated after me: “Midterms.” Suddenly, he relaxed, as though my speaking the word had somehow set it free for discussion. “Do I go before or after? That will be my big decision,” he said.

He was thinking aloud now. “I just think that there are certain assets to before,” he said. “Let people know. I think a lot of people would not even run if I did that because, if you look at the polls, they don’t even register. Most of these people. And I think that you would actually have a backlash against them if they ran. People want me to run.”

So he says that he’s not just thinking about it anymore.  He’s already decided whether he’ll run or not, but won’t explicitly state which way his decision went.  But then in the next breath, he’s talking about the timing of such an announcement.  If the decision is that he’s not going to run, then the timing wouldn’t be that important.  The implication is clearly that he’s decided to run.  Also:

“He really was 100 percent going to announce on the Fourth of July,” one person knowledgeable about the discussions said, “but the kids and Lindsey Graham and Kevin McCarthy were against it because he would be blamed for the midterms.” (The “kids” is a common but often incomplete term used by people with knowledge of Trump and his family, and here it does not refer to Donald Trump Jr., who, according to multiple people connected to the former president, was thought to be a supporter of the patriotic announcement date.) To me, Trump denied that he had considered it at all. As the producer of the iconic escalator ride in the atrium of Trump Tower to announce his 2016 campaign, he considered an Independence Day declaration amateurish. “I don’t think I have to compete with that,” he said. “First of all, a lot of people aren’t around on the Fourth of July. It’s not a great time to do an announcement … I never said I was going to. That was just fake news. Somebody said that I was going to,” he said. “I don’t think it was any of our people.”
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1423 on: July 14, 2022, 02:00:39 PM »

Yeah that's all but an announcement that he's running.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1424 on: July 14, 2022, 02:13:38 PM »

Trump is expected to announce before the midterms, possibly as early as September.

Donald Trump is expected to announce a 2024 presidential run ahead of November’s midterm elections, and in spite of advice from his closest aides, two confidents claim.

Two advisers told The Washington Post he is now allegedly eyeing September to make an announcement at the earliest, the paper reported on Thursday.

One aide described the chances of an announcement as being at “70-30 he announces before the midterms”, while others reportedly said September could be the soonest date.

Just as July 4th, right? Very possible this is just a grift to milk his supporters as cash cow to prepare for upcoming legal battles. And he may attempt to scare off DeSantis.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies