The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:00:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 162637 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: January 18, 2022, 01:10:50 PM »

Interesting how Harris is now the third Vice President in this century to receive serious speculation about not being on the ticket for reelection. In 2004, Bush and Cheney's personal relationship was starting to tear and since Bush had gone from a 90% approval rating to barely 50% in less than three years' time, his reelection was obviously in doubt. As was Obama's even more so, whom people urged to replace Biden with Clinton (mostly by former Clinton supporters, to be fair) to save his ass. Literally nobody cares about Pence. And now that Biden is in deep trouble right now, he's under pressure to toss Harris aside (or not run at all, for that matter).

You don't remember all the speculation he was going to drop him for Nikki Haley?

In any event, this is just the media stirring sh**t. There is no reason for an incumbent president to drop the VP from the ticket unless there were a massive personal scandal. Why go out of your way to draw negative attention?

I don't, strangely.

Fair point, though. Every president elected since 2000 has had a tough reelection battle. What's funny is that a Vice President Edwards certainly would've been dropped for someone else, especially as Kerry never liked him to begin with and he was only picked because his campaign advisors told him to.

I can still buy Bush seriously considering dropping Cheney though. By his second midterm, the two were barely on speaking terms.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1201 on: January 21, 2022, 06:15:36 PM »

Fingers crossed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1202 on: January 22, 2022, 01:14:18 AM »

Pence heading to South Carolina in May:

https://tucson.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/as-2024-nears-pence-to-speak-at-sc-pregnancy-center-dinner/article_651eda7b-87c4-5f53-8d0f-52e065490254.html

As he positions himself for a possible White House bid, former Vice President Mike Pence is returning to the early-voting state of South Carolina, slated to give the keynote address at a fundraising banquet for a Christian pregnancy center that's become a regular stop for GOP presidential hopefuls.

In May, Pence will speak at a dinner on behalf of the Carolina Pregnancy Center, according to a copy of the invitation obtained by The Associated Press. The organization, which executive director Alexia Newman describes as a “pro-life ministry,” offers Christian counseling and adoption services, and free supplies to women who opt to have babies following unplanned pregnancies.
Carolina Pregnancy Center, the host of Pence's May return, is based in the state’s conservative northwest and has frequently played host to Republicans seeking their party's nomination. In the 2016 cycle, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, Dr. Ben Carson and businesswoman Carly Fiorina all visited the Spartanburg facility.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #1203 on: January 22, 2022, 01:39:34 PM »

Yang doesn't have presidential aspirations anymore since he knows he can't get elected. People are bigoted towards him and his message, so he didn't get far in either election. The Forward Party nominee will probably be Cuban, Amash, Gabbard, or Williamson.
If Cuban wanted to run, he'd do it as a true independent like Perot 92. Amash would run as a Libertarian. Williamson as a Dem, Green, or with the People's Party. Gabbard is the only one I could see running with the Forward Party, but I could see her also running as Dem (who isn't in the debate stage) or with her fellow grifters in the People's Party.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1204 on: January 23, 2022, 11:33:48 PM »

Yang doesn't have presidential aspirations anymore since he knows he can't get elected. People are bigoted towards him and his message, so he didn't get far in either election. The Forward Party nominee will probably be Cuban, Amash, Gabbard, or Williamson.
If Cuban wanted to run, he'd do it as a true independent like Perot 92. Amash would run as a Libertarian. Williamson as a Dem, Green, or with the People's Party. Gabbard is the only one I could see running with the Forward Party, but I could see her also running as Dem (who isn't in the debate stage) or with her fellow grifters in the People's Party.

With how weak the engagement is on social media, I'm pretty sure TFP will be disbanded by 2024.

People's Party will probably be one of Williamson and Gabbard. Unsure if Cuban ever runs.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1205 on: January 26, 2022, 01:40:05 PM »

Fingers crossed.
??
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1206 on: January 27, 2022, 01:25:30 AM »

Fingers crossed.
??

The implication is that Trump will run as an attempt to escape punishment for his crimes. Either he hopes that his incoherent screams of "political persecution" will somehow bear fruit, or that if he does manage to again gain the ability to abuse the office of the President, he will either be protected by it, or abuse it further in order to quash investigations against him or punish those conducting them. It's a shallow, obviously and reprehensible motive, but Republicans are rather shallow, obvious and reprehensible themselves, so that won't harm his chances any.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1207 on: January 27, 2022, 03:58:02 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2022, 04:05:34 PM by MarkD »

Fingers crossed.
??

The implication is that Trump will run as an attempt to escape punishment for his crimes. Either he hopes that his incoherent screams of "political persecution" will somehow bear fruit, or that if he does manage to again gain the ability to abuse the office of the President, he will either be protected by it, or abuse it further in order to quash investigations against him or punish those conducting them. It's a shallow, obviously and reprehensible motive, but Republicans are rather shallow, obvious and reprehensible themselves, so that won't harm his chances any.

Dangit, ... Dangit, ... Dangit!

You make so much sense that I am now going to have to eat my posts I have so often put in this board -- posts to the effect that I don't think Trump is going to run again. I have thought for so long that he wasn't going to run again that I kept on saying, in post after post in this forum, he wouldn't run again. Far too much wishful thinking went in to all those posts, and now I have to eat them all. Yummy. (I ain't going to delete them all, but I am disowning them.)

I sure as heck hope he does get charged and put in trial within the next two years. I won't say that I am sure he deserves to be convicted, but I will say that I HOPE he does get convicted.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1208 on: January 27, 2022, 04:09:03 PM »

Fingers crossed.
??

Honestly, if attorneys and authorities can't get him convicted before 2024, they never will. It was never likely that he actually gets punished for his severe wrongdoings.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1209 on: January 29, 2022, 06:58:20 PM »

Pompeo’s PAC has been spending $ on media training:

https://www.axios.com/mike-pompeo-shells-out-for-media-makeover-8eae9986-94c1-471a-9715-4104702b315d.html

Mike Pompeo's political action committee spent $30,000 on media training from last March to June — the most on any service beyond payroll during the first six months of 2021.

Why it matters: The former secretary of State hasn't just been losing weight but working to hone his media skills amid speculation about a possible presidential run, records show.
A Pompeo spokesperson declined to comment on the payments or the former secretary's media-training regimen.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1210 on: January 29, 2022, 07:00:44 PM »

Pompeo’s PAC has been spending $ on media training:

https://www.axios.com/mike-pompeo-shells-out-for-media-makeover-8eae9986-94c1-471a-9715-4104702b315d.html

Mike Pompeo's political action committee spent $30,000 on media training from last March to June — the most on any service beyond payroll during the first six months of 2021.

Why it matters: The former secretary of State hasn't just been losing weight but working to hone his media skills amid speculation about a possible presidential run, records show.
A Pompeo spokesperson declined to comment on the payments or the former secretary's media-training regimen.

Pompeo would be lucky to hit 2% in Iowa. He really brings nothing to the table.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1211 on: January 30, 2022, 03:14:58 AM »

Assuming the Democratic nomination is an open seat contest (i.e, Biden not running), who does this benefit?

If the Democrats change the calendar, and Republicans follow suit with Iowa no longer first (and possibly New Hampshire as well), does that benefit Trump, or another candidate?

This thread isn't intended to discuss topics like that.  It's intended to cover news related to whether each of the various potential candidates are planning to run or not.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1212 on: January 30, 2022, 03:45:48 AM »

Assuming the Democratic nomination is an open seat contest (i.e, Biden not running), who does this benefit?

If the Democrats change the calendar, and Republicans follow suit with Iowa no longer first (and possibly New Hampshire as well), does that benefit Trump, or another candidate?

This thread isn't intended to discuss topics like that.  It's intended to cover news related to whether each of the various potential candidates are planning to run or not.

It's relevant in the sense that it could impact certain candidates decisions to run, especially if Biden doesn't. However, I will delete the post at your request.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1213 on: January 30, 2022, 08:36:17 PM »

Asa Hutchinson won't rule out running for President, says Trump "isn't the one to lead the Republican Party into the future"

After declaring that Trump "wasn’t the one" to lead the Republican Party into the future, Arkansas’ Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson did not rule out running against him.

"I’m concentrating on finishing my term well as governor," Hutchinson told Fox News Digital at the National Governors Association winter meeting. "I do want to be a voice that talks about conservative, common sense ideas, and we’ll see where that leads."

Hutchinson had previously said that he does not see Trump as the future of the Republican Party, and when asked by Business Insider who should lead instead, said "that’s what the election is all about."

Fox News Digital pressed Hutchinson on his comments, he said it was "the voters choice," even extending to Donald Trump.

"It’s a competitive landscape, people always have choices," Hutchinson said, stressing that he wants more voices heard within the party. 

"Whenever you’re … three years out from [the election,] let’s have a lot of voices out there that can talk to the Republican base, talk about ideas talk about the future, and that’s what I want to shift the debate to," he said.

"This is not about not the past election, but the next election. … I get asked questions, I answer those questions."

Hutchinson also said we should "look to the future" for the future of the Republican Party.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #1214 on: January 31, 2022, 02:56:01 AM »

New Bill Weld in formation.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1215 on: January 31, 2022, 11:04:12 PM »

Pompeo's heading back to Iowa in March:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2022/01/31/possible-2024-presidential-candidate-mike-pompeo-return-iowa-former-secretary-state/9260179002/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1216 on: February 03, 2022, 12:12:47 AM »

Pompeo hints that he's planning to run:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/news/2022/02/02/pompeo-west-palm-beach-backs-biden-ukraine-hints-2024-run/9302505002/

When LeMieux read the last question of the evening, “When are we going to see Mike Pompeo back in public office?” every other attendee in the audience yelled, “woo,” clapped, or smiled, including Palm Beach County’s lone Republican County Commissioner, Maria Marino.

The former State secretary did not confirm he would run for president in 2024. But he said: “You’ll see me in Iowa and New Hampshire. It’s not an accident.”
Leohendo9
Rookie
Bangladesh
« Reply #1217 on: February 04, 2022, 05:57:28 AM »

is it a big deal that Trump doesn't have twitter this time round? why doesnt he join fbook haha
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1218 on: February 04, 2022, 04:19:46 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1219 on: February 05, 2022, 03:32:05 PM »

Not much that's new here, but Politico Magazine did a Noem profile a couple of weeks ago that I just got around to reading:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/01/17/kristi-noem-covid-politician-527080

The story goes over what we pretty much already know, which is that Noem has done a lot to raise her national profile, though there's the question of whether she's too dependent on covid policies for that, which might not be as relevant once serious 2024 campaigning begins.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1220 on: February 10, 2022, 12:25:38 AM »

Mark Cuban:

https://www.mediaite.com/podcasts/mark-cuban-claims-he-has-what-it-takes-for-successful-2024-run-but-would-never-put-my-family-through-that/

“No,” Cuban said in response to Jay Williams saying Cuban should run for President in 2024 on his NPR The Limits podcast.

“Do you think you would have what it took to be the president of the United States of America?” Williams replied.

“Of course,” Cuban answered. “Well, I shouldn’t say, of course you never know until — until you know, right? It’s the hardest job in the world so I’m not going going to be that arrogant.”

Cuban explained that he is the man for the job, but is worried about his family. “At the same time, relative to anybody else, I think I could do the job, but I would never put my family through that,” he said. “As much as charisma is important to getting elected, the whole process is the worst thing possible for a family. You literally have to disregard, unless you have, like my kids are 12, 15 and 18. And so unless you’re willing to disregard their mental health at that age, you can’t do it.”
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1221 on: February 10, 2022, 12:29:39 AM »

Mark Cuban:

https://www.mediaite.com/podcasts/mark-cuban-claims-he-has-what-it-takes-for-successful-2024-run-but-would-never-put-my-family-through-that/

“No,” Cuban said in response to Jay Williams saying Cuban should run for President in 2024 on his NPR The Limits podcast.

“Do you think you would have what it took to be the president of the United States of America?” Williams replied.

“Of course,” Cuban answered. “Well, I shouldn’t say, of course you never know until — until you know, right? It’s the hardest job in the world so I’m not going going to be that arrogant.”

Cuban explained that he is the man for the job, but is worried about his family. “At the same time, relative to anybody else, I think I could do the job, but I would never put my family through that,” he said. “As much as charisma is important to getting elected, the whole process is the worst thing possible for a family. You literally have to disregard, unless you have, like my kids are 12, 15 and 18. And so unless you’re willing to disregard their mental health at that age, you can’t do it.”

Honestly, if 2024 is a Biden-Trump rematch, I could see Cuban jumping in and being an independent wildcard like Perot.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #1222 on: February 10, 2022, 03:02:03 AM »

I've always thought of Cuban like Bloomberg, a billionaire blowhard who will never buckle down and actually run, but if Bloomberg can actually make for a play for it and then flame out spectacularly then let's see Mark Cuban's campaign.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1223 on: February 10, 2022, 08:01:49 AM »

I think I'm pretty similar to Cuban ideologically, but that is not, in itself, a good enough reason for me to support him (if he does decide to run). I need to know about his intentions regarding Supreme Court appointments. What will he do to try to improve the Court?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1224 on: February 10, 2022, 10:14:57 PM »

In ruling out a Senate run, Hogan alludes to the fact that he’s not ruling out a ’24 presidential run:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/maryland-gov-larry-hogan-rules-out-2022-senate-run

The governor said that his decision not to run for the Senate this year "does not mean that I plan to sit on the sidelines when it comes to the serious challenges facing our country and our democracy. I'm going to continue to call it like I see it, and I'll keep speaking out about the divisiveness and dysfunction in Washington and about fixing the broken politics." 

And looking ahead, he noted that "my current job as governor runs until January 2023, and then we'll take a look and see what the future holds after that."
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies