Unusual state election results and vote patterns (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:44:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Unusual state election results and vote patterns (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unusual state election results and vote patterns  (Read 4247 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 28, 2019, 01:13:39 PM »

The Kansas Gov races in 1930 and 1932 which both featured an independent candidate, John R. Brinkley, the famed "goat-gland" doctor (he surgically installed goat testicles into men to improve their chances of conceiving--spoiler, did not work) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Brinkley

He was a write-in candidate in 1930 and may have won (ballots that weren't filled out as J.R. Brinkley weren't counted) and ran again in 1932.  Both times Brinkley got about 30% of the vote while the swing between the D-R was only 1 point.  So, you might think the vote pattern would be nearly identical in both elections.  Nope.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 07:28:12 PM »

Especially when you realize that one of the candidates was trying to cure erectile dysfunction.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 05:22:20 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2020, 05:46:41 PM by DINGO Joe »

I know this is old, but I think I found the epitome of this description, at least by modern standards. The 1926 Pennsylvania US senate election. All of the rural areas go democratic while Philadelphia and Pittsburgh go Republican. It may have been common at the time, but looking back it definitely isn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1926_United_States_Senate_election_in_Pennsylvania

What's even weirder about that is that the Republican won by 11 points with that map. We like to think of there being increased urbanization in recent decades, but even sweeping the entire countryside and suburbs wasn't enough to make the Democrat competitive against a Republican winning Erie, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and the Wyoming Valley.

PA was a very Republican state is this era (with Hoover even winning PA in 1932) but as with one party states there were two parties within the party,  the machine and the remnants of the Bull Moose party led by Gov Gifford Pinchot.  Pinchot lost the Sen primary in 1926 to the head of the Philly machine, William Vare.  Pinchot's base was rural PA and he hated Vare and in fact prevented Vare from ever being seated in the Senate due to accusation of electoral fraud.  The D candidate was from rural PA (Tioga Co) and was able to do as well with it as could be expected.

It should be noted that  Vare won the six most populous counties in the state, Philly and Alleghany of course, but the next four are quite different from today--Luzerne, Lackawanna, Schulkill, and Lancaster. 

In 1930, Pinchot ran again for Gov and narrowly won a 3pt victory with his map looking this

Philly went from 80-19 Vare in 1926 to 74-26 for Pinchot's D opponent in 1930

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »

This Alabama one takes the cake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_United_States_Senate_election_in_Alabama

Pretty much the only time i've ever seen the black belt going republican.

Well. blacks weren't voting in 1962 in Alabama and i imagine that the whites in majority black counties were the most wound up about the civil rights movement.  Amusingly, more people voted in the D primary than in the General election, which I guess happened on occasion in the Deep South.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies