Who would the losing unpledged electors voted for in 1956 and 1960?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:39:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who would the losing unpledged electors voted for in 1956 and 1960?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who would the losing unpledged electors voted for in 1956 and 1960?  (Read 468 times)
coolface1572
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »

Who would the unpledged electors voted for if their slates won?

Alabama 1964

Louisiana 1960

Louisiana 1956
Mississippi 1956
South Carolina 1956
Alabama 1956
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 07:43:00 PM »

Alabama 1964

Louisiana 1960

Louisiana 1956
Mississippi 1956
South Carolina 1956
Alabama 1956

I'll answer this even though this user's account is defunct. The Unpledged Electors in Alabama, in 1964, would have voted for George Wallace. Those in Louisiana, in 1960, would have cast their votes for Senator Harry F. Byrd of Virginia. The Unpledged Electors slates in Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Alabama in 1956 probably would have voted for T. Coleman Andrews, who ran on the States Rights' ticket that year and managed to garner 6% of the vote in Virginia and 2% in Tennessee. They may have also voted for Harry Byrd, whose name was on a minor State Rights' ticket that year as well.
MainstreamCon
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2020, 08:01:37 PM by MainstreamCon »

Alabama 1964

Louisiana 1960

Louisiana 1956
Mississippi 1956
South Carolina 1956
Alabama 1956

I'll answer this even though this user's account is defunct. The Unpledged Electors in Alabama, in 1964, would have voted for George Wallace. Those in Louisiana, in 1960, would have cast their votes for Senator Harry F. Byrd of Virginia. The Unpledged Electors slates in Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Alabama in 1956 probably would have voted for T. Coleman Andrews, who ran on the States Rights' ticket that year and managed to garner 6% of the vote in Virginia and 2% in Tennessee. They may have also voted for Harry Byrd, whose name was on a minor State Rights' ticket that year as well.

I remember reading this in a google book preview once. And I think I have figured it out.

First the goal of unpledged electors was not to actually put an candidate into the house of representatives, but rather to bargain with the major candidates for support of segregation in exchange for the presidency. But in the case of an electoral college majority, as happened every time, this I how I think it would have turned out.

1964 Alabama they would have gone for Wallace. For a while it seemed like they would actually have been pledged to him until Wallace endorsed Goldwater.

1960 Louisiana is an interesting one. It was made up of members of the State's Rights party of Louisiana (same as 1956) but this time had support from Leander Perez. (Plaquemines parish segregationist boss). What complicates this one is that there was also the National State's Rights party running Orval Faubus that year. Future governor Dave Treen was an elector for the ticket and denounced that party, but Leander Perez was marching with them during the Ruby Bridges integration. My guess is that they would have probably voted for Byrd with along with MS and AL, but this isn't a guarantee.

1956 had the South Carolina and Mississippi electors supporting a ticket of Harry Byrd with John Bel Williams for VP. The slates in Alabama and Louisiana however were supportive of Andrews. The interesting thing to note here is that SC and MS were the two states where Eisenhower was an Independent in 1952. So many of those who had permanently left the dems early on with the dixiecrat revolt supported Ike in 52, but after the Brown decision went unpledged. The only notable segregationist who still stuck with Ike that I know of is the afformentioned Leander Perez, who organized the state's rights party slate but couldn't get enough support for it.

This just leaves 1944 for South Carolina and the Texas Regulars, of which I have no idea.

Also, Georgia electors were actually freed from their pledges in 1960. Though obviously they stuck with Kennedy anyway.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 08:08:25 PM »

Alabama 1964

Louisiana 1960

Louisiana 1956
Mississippi 1956
South Carolina 1956
Alabama 1956

I remember reading this in a google book preview once. And I think I have figured it out.

First the goal of unpledged electors was not to actually put an candidate into the house of representatives, but rather to bargain with the major candidates for support of segregation in exchange for the presidency. But in the case of an electoral college majority, as happened every time, this I how I think it would have turned out.

1964 Alabama they would have gone for Wallace. For a while it seemed like they would actually have been pledged to him until Wallace endorsed Goldwater.

1960 Louisiana is an interesting one. It was made up of members of the State's Rights party of Louisiana (same as 1956) but this time had support from Leander Perez. (Plaquemines parish segregationist boss). What complicates this one is that there was also the National State's Rights party running Orval Faubus that year. Future governor Dave Treen was an elector for the ticket and denounced that party, but Leander Perez was marching with them during the Ruby Bridges integration. My guess is that they would have probably voted for Byrd with along with MS and AL, but this isn't a guarantee.

1956 had the South Carolina and Mississippi electors supporting a ticket of Harry Byrd with John Bel Williams for VP. The slates in Alabama and Louisiana however were supportive of Andrews. The interesting thing to note here is that SC and MS were the two states where Eisenhower was an Independent in 1952. So many of those who had permanently left the dems early on with the dixiecrat revolt supported Ike in 52, but after the Brown decision went unpledged. The only notable segregationist who still stuck with Ike that I know of is the afformentioned Leander Perez, who organized the state's rights party slate but couldn't get enough support for it.

This just leaves 1944 for South Carolina and the Texas Regulars, of which I have no idea.

Also, Georgia electors were actually freed from their pledges in 1960. Though obviously they stuck with Kennedy anyway.

Very interesting. I almost forgot that Faubus, the segregationist Governor of Arkansas infamous for his opposition to the Little Rock Nine, ran on a third-party States Rights' ticket in 1960, and he received nearly 7% of the vote in his home state (which John Kennedy won by 7% against Richard Nixon). 1960 certainly seems to have been more complicated then at first glance, and Perez, if I recall correctly, had supported Eisenhower in 1952/56 (Plaquemines Parish was among his best counties in the country). I'm not sure about 1944 either. Franklin D. Roosevelt still received 88% in South Carolina and 71% in Texas, but dissatisfaction with the New Deal and fears about the national Party's growing support for civil rights manifested themselves that year. 1944 was the first time in 48 years, since 1896, that a Democrat received less than 90% of the vote in South Carolina.
MainstreamCon
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 08:18:32 PM »

Alabama 1964

Louisiana 1960

Louisiana 1956
Mississippi 1956
South Carolina 1956
Alabama 1956

Very interesting. I almost forgot that Faubus, the segregationist Governor of Arkansas infamous for his opposition to the Little Rock Nine, ran on a third-party States Rights' ticket in 1960, and he received nearly 7% of the vote in his home state (which John Kennedy won by 7% against Richard Nixon). 1960 certainly seems to have been more complicated then at first glance, and Perez, if I recall correctly, had supported Eisenhower in 1952/56 (Plaquemines Parish was among his best counties in the country). I'm not sure about 1944 either. Franklin D. Roosevelt still received 88% in South Carolina and 71% in Texas, but dissatisfaction with the New Deal and fears about the national Party's growing support for civil rights manifested themselves that year. 1944 was the first time in 48 years, since 1896, that a Democrat received less than 90% of the vote in South Carolina.

Yeah, this was entirely due to Perez's machine politics and fraud. He was one of the first dixiecrats who vowed to never support a national dem ever again. And whomever he supported would always win Plaquemines and probably St Bernard comfortably.

His presidential support from 48-68 was as follows:
1948: Thurmond
1952: Eisenhower
1956: Eisenhower (though rather reluctantly)
1960: Unpledged
1964: Goldwater
1968: Wallace

The results from Plaquemines match up perfectly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies