Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:51:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread  (Read 12470 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2020, 03:06:47 AM »

Reminder that Nancy Pelosi and the House Dems passed a public option plan in 2009.  If we'd had like 2-3 more senators we would have universal health care today.  But Kentucky Democrats couldn't be bothered to come out and vote for a "milquetoast centrist Democrat" in 2008, so Mitch McConnell won by 6% and we got what we got.

No, the reason why we don't have a public option/universal health care/whatever/etc is not that Dems lost an election in Kentucky.

It is that the American electoral system and particularly the U.S. Senate is unrepresentative and broken institutionally, so that the public option/whatever couldn't be passed even when there were Senators elected representing an overwhelming share of the population supporting it.

You are unlikely to fix that or many other problems until you fix that underlying failure of the system of government - see this thread - https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=354038.0

And btw, LMAO at the idea of Dems winning in KY, you are delusional beyond parody.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2020, 04:22:38 AM »

No, the reason why we don't have a public option/universal health care/whatever/etc is not that Dems lost an election in Kentucky.

It is that the American electoral system and particularly the U.S. Senate is unrepresentative and broken institutionally, so that the public option/whatever couldn't be passed even when there were Senators elected representing an overwhelming share of the population supporting it.

You are unlikely to fix that or many other problems until you fix that underlying failure of the system of government - see this thread - https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=354038.0

Well that's some wonderful insight but not particularly helpful in the short term.  Saying we can't get better health care until we completely change our electoral system feels like, with all due respect, a lazy cop-out.

And btw, LMAO at the idea of Dems winning in KY, you are delusional beyond parody.

They lost by 6%.  Also Jim Bunning won by 1% in 2004 and 0.5% in 1998, and a Dem held the seat prior to that.  It's not that crazy.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2020, 08:38:45 AM »

Well that's some wonderful insight but not particularly helpful in the short term.  Saying we can't get better health care until we completely change our electoral system feels like, with all due respect, a lazy cop-out.

They lost by 6%.  Also Jim Bunning won by 1% in 2004 and 0.5% in 1998, and a Dem held the seat prior to that.  It's not that crazy.
Yes, like how the Democrats won in Wyoming in 2006 by a landslide and Gary Trauner narrowly lost so Democrats can win Wyoming
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2020, 08:44:04 AM »

Jim Bunning did so poorly in 2004 because (A) he was a dull, boring candidate, and (B) Dan Mongiardo was a pro-life Democrat who had support from Kentucky's significant voters who were Democratic (at the local level) churchgoers.

Good job, Dems, on running such people out of the party for good.  It'll be tough for Democrats to equal Mongiardo's numbers, let alone win, in a state that's culturally conservative, even though it still has a significant number of local Democrats and union members.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »

Jim Bunning did so poorly in 2004 because (A) he was a dull, boring candidate, and (B) Dan Mongiardo was a pro-life Democrat who had support from Kentucky's significant voters who were Democratic (at the local level) churchgoers.

Good job, Dems, on running such people out of the party for good.  It'll be tough for Democrats to equal Mongiardo's numbers, let alone win, in a state that's culturally conservative, even though it still has a significant number of local Democrats and union members.
Also, Bunning called Mongiardo a terrorist and looked like Saddam Hussain's son and claimed that Mongiardo "thugs" had assaulted his wife, also Mongiardo was the replacement candidate that nobody thought would win after Paul Patton's political career ended.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2020, 10:18:11 AM »

Bizarre claim to make less than three months after Democrats won a gubernatorial election in Kentucky despite running an actually good candidate who did not embrace anti-abortion rhetoric
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2020, 10:51:41 AM »

Bizarre claim to make less than three months after Democrats won a gubernatorial election in Kentucky despite running an actually good candidate who did not embrace anti-abortion rhetoric

Hardly bizarre.  Beshear won the GOVERNOR'S race in a state that still has some remnant of a STATE and LOCAL Democratic estbablishment.  Beshear was also the son of the last Democratic Governor whose name is familiar to Kentuckians.  Even at that, he barely beat out an unpopular incumbent Republican who was not in good standing with Mitch McConnell.

Bunning was a horrible candidate and an HP Senator who worked at being offensive.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2020, 03:55:41 PM »

Seems a bit odd to me that we can have an entire thread denigrating supporters of Sanders and not have it get taken down, but if I were to start an "Official Whine, Moan, and Complain about MissScarlett / Trump supporters thread", that would probably get taken down.

Hmm...
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »

Abortion and gun issues probably cost Democrats millions more votes than they do gain. Even worse on a local level in many areas.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2020, 10:56:34 PM »

Seems a bit odd to me that we can have an entire thread denigrating supporters of Sanders and not have it get taken down, but if I were to start an "Official Whine, Moan, and Complain about MissScarlett / Trump supporters thread", that would probably get taken down.

Hmm...

It's not right.

Bernie isn't the reason Hillary lost.  Blaming Bernie and Bernie Bros is why this thread exists.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2020, 11:33:07 PM »

There's a group of Sanders supporters labeling themselves "BLM South Bend" that have been following Pete around and protesting his events.  It is not an actual BLM group, just a group of Sanders supporters calling themselves BLM.

One of them faked a medical emergency to disrupt a Buttigieg event the other night.  An ambulance was called, which had to arrive during a snowstorm, for the fake non-emergency.

You might think I'm crazy for saying this, but I think this is really deplorable behavior that is having a real daily impact on Buttigieg and his supporters, and it should be denounced and discouraged.  And I don't appreciate that Speaker YE renamed this megathread to accuse me of "whining and moaning" for thinking so.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2020, 12:58:31 AM »

There's a group of Sanders supporters labeling themselves "BLM South Bend" that have been following Pete around and protesting his events.  It is not an actual BLM group, just a group of Sanders supporters calling themselves BLM.

One of them faked a medical emergency to disrupt a Buttigieg event the other night.  An ambulance was called, which had to arrive during a snowstorm, for the fake non-emergency.

You might think I'm crazy for saying this, but I think this is really deplorable behavior that is having a real daily impact on Buttigieg and his supporters, and it should be denounced and discouraged.  And I don't appreciate that Speaker YE renamed this megathread to accuse me of "whining and moaning" for thinking so.

OMG.
I didn't know that happened.
That is trump level, Deplorable crap. F those who did that. What if that ambulance and emergency personnel would/could have been needed somewhere else, for a real emergency?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2020, 01:05:30 AM »

OMG.
That is trump level, Deplorable crap. F those who did that. What if that ambulance and emergency personnel would/could have been needed somewhere else, for a real emergency?

Hey, you're just "whining, moaning, and complaining about Bernie Bros."  Off with you to a megathread.  You deserve nothing but mockery for being upset about this.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2020, 02:44:34 PM »

Video of the Buttigieg event where Sanders supporters faked a medical emergency to disrupt the event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mjHF4aGM2o&feature=youtu.be
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2020, 03:50:51 PM »

Abortion and gun issues probably cost Democrats millions more votes than they do gain. Even worse on a local level in many areas.

That's only because the Dems let the GOP decide what Americans want instead of the Dems doing what they should and defending their stances and selling them as the better option.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2020, 09:49:17 PM »

Any bernie supporter who would vote for biden over warren is a disgrace to the progressive movement. Plain and simple.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2020, 03:13:04 PM »

Sherrod Brown's wife, nationality syndicated columnist Connie Schultz, who won a Pulitzer prize for "her pungent columns that provided a voice for the underdog and underprivileged", has written a column "whining, moaning, and complaining about Bernie Bros"

https://www.creators.com/read/connie-schultz/01/20/it-piles-up-this-stuff-in-our-way
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2020, 04:30:03 AM »

This is eye-opening stuff:

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #268 on: January 18, 2020, 04:40:04 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2020, 05:05:28 AM by Bolshevik Biden »

>‘I know Bernie Sanders talks about “universal healthcare” and “canceling college debt”,’ he said, ‘but the real reason I like him is that he is good at keeping women down.’

>‘I don’t like Trump,’ he said, ‘but we have to recognise the real threat, which is a woman in the White House.’

>Of course, the misogyny of the Bernie Bros comes straight from the top. Bernie Sanders has been criticized for displaying such woman-hating antics as ‘denying that he said a sexist thing’ (if there is anything more sexist than saying a sexist thing, it is denying it)

>‘What motivates you?’ I asked one man, who, like everybody in the room, bore a strange resemblance to a host of Chapo Trap House.

Bitterness,’ he said, without a pause, ‘I look at the face of Warren, or Clinton, and all I see is Anna, that girl in junior high with the cute smile and ginger hair who went on one date with me and then said she was “too busy” to meet me again. Why did you do it, Anna? Because my breath stank? I had a medical condition, Anna! It’s called xerostomia. Just because that idiot Darren had nice breath it doesn’t mean he wasn’t stupid.’

He wiped the corners of his mouth.

‘I also support single-payer.’

This can't be real.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #269 on: January 18, 2020, 06:22:40 AM »

Jim Bunning had Alzheimer’s and was trying to cover it up during his run and term in the Senate, BTW.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #270 on: January 18, 2020, 07:55:45 AM »

This can't be real.
It's satirical...
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #271 on: January 18, 2020, 09:07:31 AM »

OMG.

Hey, you're just "whining, moaning, and complaining about Bernie Bros."  Off with you to a megathread.  You deserve nothing but mockery for being upset about this.

PM2's actually right here, assuming this actually happened.  Even worse than Trump-level stuff, in that they impacted public safety by utilizing resources unnecessarily.

I'm torn here.  I like Bernie, on a personal level, a lot more than many seeking the Democratic nomination.  (I won't call Bernie a Democrat because he's not one, and that's where a good deal of the grief he gets comes from.)  But he does have some of the most "out there" supporters of all the Democrats running.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies