Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:03:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
Author Topic: Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread  (Read 12463 times)
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2020, 11:48:05 AM »

While I like Sanders a lot (as a person not a candidate) and have so much respect for him, some of his supporters are just down right awful. They attack anyone with an even slightly different view than them as corrupt, dumb, evil, etc . . .

They think that anyone that doesn't worship Bernie or follow everyone of his views and policy proposals is just trash. Hell, they even try to attack Elizabeth ing Warren as "not a true progressive" anytime she doesn't kiss the ground Bernie walks on. Its annoying and they have turned off so many potential supports of their cause by being flat out insufferable.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2020, 12:36:46 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2020, 04:32:14 PM by TJ in Oregon »

How could it be good for the party?  It's all focused on attacking the party and dissuading young people from joining it.  And almost always by using lies that they're never held accountable for.

Do you just wake up miserable every day?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #227 on: January 04, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »

While I like Sanders a lot (as a person not a candidate) and have so much respect for him, some of his supporters are just down right awful. They attack anyone with an even slightly different view than them as corrupt, dumb, evil, etc . . .

They think that anyone that doesn't worship Bernie or follow everyone of his views and policy proposals is just trash. Hell, they even try to attack Elizabeth ing Warren as "not a true progressive" anytime she doesn't kiss the ground Bernie walks on. Its annoying and they have turned off so many potential supports of their cause by being flat out insufferable.

Great post. As a centrist who opposes Sanders' policies, I too would have supported him if only it weren't for a few annoying people on Twitter.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #228 on: January 04, 2020, 01:14:54 PM »

Great post. As a centrist who opposes Sanders' policies, I too would have supported him if only it weren't for a few annoying people on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/GibsonMc/status/1187810930748542977/photo/1
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #229 on: January 04, 2020, 01:43:24 PM »

2016 online Bernie crowd - toxic
2020 online Bernie crowd - meh, neither here nor there.

It seems like a lot of the worst elements of the online Bernie supporters from 2016 have switched to Gabbard and Yang with a small number just going full MAGA. Bernie still has a lot of annoying supporters online, but at least now they're proportionately a much smaller part of the online conversation.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2020, 01:45:32 PM »

My biggest reservations with Bernie and his campaign is actually not Bernie himself, it's a very loud group among his supporters and certain figures he surrounds himself with.
That's my concern too. Bernie himself is a good guy, but his campaign turns out to be quite toxic, and that frightens me.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #231 on: January 04, 2020, 07:22:28 PM »

It was toxic in 2016 for sure. It hasn't been quite as bad to me this time around though, as Crumpets said. We'll see if that continues through the primary season, especially with it likely to develop into a Biden vs. Sanders contest.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #232 on: January 04, 2020, 08:03:03 PM »

Assuming Sanders is the nominee:

Tiny negative effects at the margins. Some nasty people online may convince a couple of thousand people (nationwide) to stay home or not volunteer. But a couple thousand is unlikely to flip the election.

I'm morbidly curious to see what a Democratic coordinated midterm campaign looks like in 2022. My guess is Sanders is frustrated by 15-20 moderate Dems on M4A and it will be very interesting to see how the Sanders loyalists play with the mainline party activists in that case.
538Electoral

« Reply #233 on: January 04, 2020, 09:25:31 PM »

Toxic.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2020, 12:50:37 AM »

You're #AmyOrBust. You don't get to talk about my candidate (or the best interest of the party, for a matter)
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2020, 08:30:44 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2020, 08:36:13 AM by MissScarlett »

You're #AmyOrBust. You don't get to talk about my candidate (or the best interest of the party, for a matter)

Your "candidate" has supporters that call my representatives in congress "corrupt" without any evidence. You primary anyone who doesn't stick 100% to the Bernie sanders doctrine. There will be nobody left in the democratic party at state level if you continue on this path. Bernie is a nice guy but his surrogates are complete amateurs.

Kyrsten Sinema becomes the first democrat senator from Arizona in decades - your response censure her kick her out.
Sherrod Brown wins Ohio for the third time comes out against M4A - your response primary him has to go.
Amy Klobuchar gets the most votes three elections in a row and kyle kulinski wants her primaried and tells his 800k subscribers that she belongs in the Republican party.

In the house, kendra horn, Abigail spanberger, Ben McAdams, Angie Craig all win house seats in heavy republican districts not because of Bernie sanders policies or politics but because there similar to Klobuchar. The one progressive you did run in a similar district was kara Eastman and she lost. She was to radical and has those crazy justice deomcrsfs who live in their parents basements running her campaign.

Bernie sanders supporters need to grow uo, get proper jobs, get a mortgage, get married, have children and pay for stuff  and once you realise that life is complicated then you will realise why people like klobuchar win elections. Bernie wouldn't be a senator if he wasn't from such a liberal state. Ask Russ feingold
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2020, 10:26:50 AM »

Your "candidate" has supporters that call my representatives in congress "corrupt" without any evidence. You primary anyone who doesn't stick 100% to the Bernie sanders doctrine. There will be nobody left in the democratic party at state level if you continue on this path. Bernie is a nice guy but his surrogates are complete amateurs.

Kyrsten Sinema becomes the first democrat senator from Arizona in decades - your response censure her kick her out.
Sherrod Brown wins Ohio for the third time comes out against M4A - your response primary him has to go.
Amy Klobuchar gets the most votes three elections in a row and kyle kulinski wants her primaried and tells his 800k subscribers that she belongs in the Republican party.

In the house, kendra horn, Abigail spanberger, Ben McAdams, Angie Craig all win house seats in heavy republican districts not because of Bernie sanders policies or politics but because there similar to Klobuchar. The one progressive you did run in a similar district was kara Eastman and she lost. She was to radical and has those crazy justice deomcrsfs who live in their parents basements running her campaign.

Bernie sanders supporters need to grow uo, get proper jobs, get a mortgage, get married, have children and pay for stuff  and once you realise that life is complicated then you will realise why people like klobuchar win elections. Bernie wouldn't be a senator if he wasn't from such a liberal state. Ask Russ feingold

At least I'm not #MAGA like you

We can talk about Lee Carter getting elected in a purple district (and he's to Bernie's left!). Or we can talk about how the DSCC is crowning a pro-war neocon as its candidate in a blue state based on his resume alone.
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #237 on: January 05, 2020, 01:46:32 PM »

Bernie sanders supporters need to grow uo, get proper jobs, get a mortgage, get married, have children and pay for stuff  and once you realise that life is complicated then you will realise why people like klobuchar win elections. Bernie wouldn't be a senator if he wasn't from such a liberal state. Ask Russ feingold

At least I'm not #MAGA like you

We can talk about Lee Carter getting elected in a purple district (and he's to Bernie's left!). Or we can talk about how the DSCC is crowning a pro-war neocon as its candidate in a blue state based on his resume alone.

YOU ARE THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. YOU ARE THE MOVEMENT THAT DRIVES UP DEMOCRATS NEGATIVES AND CREATES DIVISION ACROSS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. THANK YOU

This crap is created by your divisive tribes that want to burn everything down to benefit the Republican Party.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2020, 01:52:35 PM »

YOU ARE THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. YOU ARE THE MOVEMENT THAT DRIVES UP DEMOCRATS NEGATIVES AND CREATES DIVISION ACROSS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. THANK YOU

This crap is created by your divisive tribes that want to burn everything down to benefit the Republican Party.
Only one person in this thread is voting for Donald Trump if their preferred candidate doesn't get the nomination
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2020, 02:27:27 PM »

Toxic, big time. I mean, a decent number of these guys even think Liz is a sellout
If you can't see the (significant) differences between Warren and Sanders, you're hopeless.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: January 05, 2020, 04:09:52 PM »

Great job completely missing my point in your attempt to be dismissive and sarcastic.

Im not talking about centrists at all. I’m talking about very liberal people who are supporting Warren rather than Sanders. There’s a reason Sanders polling number has been consistently polling in a distant second or third place since his 2016 run. He has done nothing to expand his base of support. Furthermore, his hardcore online supporters are more likely to insult and attack non-Sanders supporters rather than try to win them over by explaining his policies and make the case for why he could achieve them and win. Obviously MOST Sanders supporters are not like this. But the supporters who are like this have a very active and loud online presence.

Bernie and his surrogates are constantly insinuating that every other Dem candidate is too corrupt to be President solely based on optics rather than actual evidence.

His surrogates constantly insult people who don’t support M4A as not caring about people’s lives and directly responsible for people dying.

The insistence on purity tests and constant attacks are a sure-fire way to turn potential supporters off from your candidacy. And I’m not saying that he shouldn’t go after other candidates, he absolutely should and can make many valid criticisms. However, the holier than thou act coupled with personal unfounded attacks on candidates character (I.e. Joe Biden is a racist, Mayor Pete is corrupt, Elizabeth Warren is a neolib) are extremely offputting.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: January 05, 2020, 04:11:30 PM »

Toxic, big time. I mean, a decent number of these guys even think Liz is a sellout
If you can't see the (significant) differences between Warren and Sanders, you're hopeless.

They do have differences. Just because she doesn’t hug Bernie on every single policy position doesn’t mean that she is a sellout or not progressive? Bernie is not the litmus test for progressivism and he’s no saint himself
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #242 on: January 05, 2020, 08:35:18 PM »

New evidence arose today that Sen. Bernie Sanders is a RAGING ANTI-SEMITE.

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Thousands-march-in-New-York-against-antisemitism-watch-live-613189

In New York, Bernie Sanders' birth-state, 25,000 people, including numerous prominent politicians such as  Congressman Gregory Meeks, Governor Andrew Cuomo, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Mayor Bill DeBlasio, US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand; and New York State Attorney General Letitia James marched across the Brooklyn Bridge to protest and demonstrate against anti-semitism.

But where was noted anti-semite Bernie Sanders? He was certainly not present. Instead, he apparently thought it more important to travel to Boone, Iowa, where he did NOT condemn anti-semitism:

And so the question naturally arises: why should Americans tolerate the risk of an anti-semitic President who cannot even be bothered to stand up and join the march against anti-semitism, when given the chance? In addition, the question must also be posed: why did so many Bernie Sanders supporters choose to attend Bernie's campaign event rather than participating in the march over the Brooklyn Bridge as well? And so it is only natural that Americans have begun to raise the question - when will an investigation be launched into Bernie Sanders' history of anti-semitism, and his refusal to root out anti-semitism from his supporters?
BP🌹
BP1202

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: January 05, 2020, 10:35:55 PM »

They do have differences. Just because she doesn’t hug Bernie on every single policy position doesn’t mean that she is a sellout or not progressive? Bernie is not the litmus test for progressivism and he’s no saint himself
You're right, and I will jump at the opportunity to support someone further to the left than Bernie. But no such person is running.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #244 on: January 11, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »

lol are people still not over this
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2020, 07:49:41 PM »

Something I'm finding hilarious is the amount of "establishment" Twitter folks (Seems to be Hillary/Kamala fans), particularly after the recent Des Moines Register poll, vowing never to vote for Bernie if he's the nominee and finding him more dangerous than Trump.

Whether you find Bernie Bros insufferable, the other side of their extreme doesn't seem that rosy to me either.

I'll just chuckle if, should he be the nominee, there'll be more Hillary/Trump Dems than there were Bernie/Trump Dems in 2016.

Of course, I'm also in the "Trump will beat everyone, including Biden & Bernie" camp
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2020, 07:56:50 PM »

Something I'm finding hilarious is the amount of "establishment" Twitter folks (Seems to be Hillary/Kamala fans), particularly after the recent Des Moines Register poll, vowing never to vote for Bernie if he's the nominee and finding him more dangerous than Trump.

Whether you find Bernie Bros insufferable, the other side of their extreme doesn't seem that rosy to me either.

I'll just chuckle if, should he be the nominee, there'll be more Hillary/Trump Dems than there were Bernie/Trump Dems in 2016.

Of course, I'm also in the "Trump will beat everyone, including Biden & Bernie" camp

They are utter hypocrites; of course there will be more on the establishment/Clintonite side who defect than Bernie supporters who went for Trump.  I would bet you my car that's the case. 
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »

I actually haven't seen this in my circles.  Only a few KHive assholes with 100 followers.

Anyone who doesn't vote straight D on their ballot is responsible for Trump.  If you are on the left and refuse to vote, you are doubly responsible, because you understood the consequences and made that choice anyway.

Vote straight D, and insist that everyone you know do the same.  Then get off your ass and mobilize in 2022.  That's the only way we can start turning this country around.
BP🌹
BP1202

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2020, 08:25:56 PM »

I actually haven't seen this in my circles.  Only a few KHive assholes with 100 followers.

Anyone who doesn't vote straight D on their ballot is responsible for Trump.  If you are on the left and refuse to vote, you are doubly responsible, because you understood the consequences and made that choice anyway.

Vote straight D, and insist that everyone you know do the same.  Then get off your ass and mobilize in 2022.  That's the only way we can start turning this country around.
Getting milquetoast centrist Democrats elected, while marginally better than letting Republicans win everything, will not "turn this country around".
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2020, 02:49:30 AM »

Getting milquetoast centrist Democrats elected, while marginally better than letting Republicans win everything, will not "turn this country around".

This is the kind of attitude that keeps the people who want to repeal Obamacare in office instead of the people who brought us Obamacare.

Reminder that Nancy Pelosi and the House Dems passed a public option plan in 2009.  If we'd had like 2-3 more senators we would have universal health care today.  But Kentucky Democrats couldn't be bothered to come out and vote for a "milquetoast centrist Democrat" in 2008, so Mitch McConnell won by 6% and we got what we got.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies